The Instrumental Soloing Contest

Current events we're participating in.

The Instrumental Soloing Contest

Postby MixolydianPony » 24 Mar 2012 18:47

THE INSTRUMENTAL SOLOING CONTEST

WHAT IT IS
Inspired by the Winter Rap Off Competition, I decided that we instrumentalists needed something similar. This was originally intended for guitarists, but a solo is a solo, so anyone who plays an instrument can enter. This post is mainly aimed at guitar players, mainly because I am one, and the idea was started on the guitar thread, but if you play some other instrument, you can enter. I want you to enter. The more solos, the better!

The deadline for entries is April 8. That gives you more or less 2 weeks. I'm not setting a specific time on that date, because it'll most likely take me a day or so to go through the entries, so if you're a little bit late, just let me know and you'll probably be alright. Also, if some of you think that's too short, I'll extend it. Feel free to tell me if you don't like something about the contest.

HOW TO ENTER
  • Take one of the provided backing tracks (EDIT: Sorry guys, I probably won't have these up until Friday.), or make one of your own.
  • Write and record your solo. What you should aim for is a musical segment that features your instrument as the primary one, and creates a musical idea that goes somewhere. Do not noodle for the allotted time. Compose.
  • Mix the solo with the backing track. Do it in such a way that the solo is distinctly clear through the mix. I need to be able to hear it. :P But don't fret too much over the mixing, that's not the point of this competition.
  • Upload it to Soundcloud, Mediafire, Youtube, Dropbox, or something where I can listen to it. Post a link to your solo as a reply to this topic.
  • Pray to Celestia that I am merciful on your entry.

RULES OF ENGAGEMENT
  • The solo should be around :30 - 1:30 in length. If you go beyond that, I won't knock off points, but please do not submit a 5 minute session of your noodling. The idea of this is to create a concise musical segment that demonstrates your solo composition ability.
  • You may overdub, or use multiple different instruments, as long as it's all played by you. Do what you want for the backing track if you make your own, but please do not speed up or alter your solo in any unfair way. On that note...
  • Don't rely on guitar effects, but if you want to use them, that's fine. But be conservative. I've heard solos ruined by ear splitting flangers and other nonsense. You're being judged on the notes, not the timbre.
  • You may submit up to two entries.

HOW ENTRIES WILL BE JUDGED
The entries will be scored and judged by myself. I am confident in my ability to be an unbiased judge of the entries. I'm actually going to download them all, and before listening to them, have a friend of mine rename them randomly so I don't know who's is who's until after I've scored them.

If there are not a lot of entries, there will be a first place and a second place.
If there are a lot of entries, there will be a grand champion and a winner for each of the categories you're being scored on.

• General Composition / Musicality - No, that's not a made up word. The solo flows form one idea to the next, and it goes somewhere in terms of intensity or melodic development, and isn't just random noodling. Noticeable effort was put into the selection of notes, and it doesn't sound like poor improvisation. This category is also an assessment of your usage of things such as dynamics and articulation. The solo is overall enjoyable to listen to.
  • Creativity - You don't need to invent a new instrument and play it, but try to be unique, and have a feel to your solo that is distinctly "you". Also, don't copy someone else.
  • Technique - While playing fast isn't the focus, it's a factor. The technique category includes not only speed, but also things such as bends, vibrato, pinched harmonics, and whammy bar stuff.
  • Complexity - Be it melodic, harmonic, or rhythmic, show something complex. Be it a weird scale (Phrygian Dominant, anyone?), or weird intervals, or crazy rhythms, play something that's not simplistic.
  • Precision - The solo doesn't have noticeable mistakes in it, like accidentally touched extra strings or what-have-you. Don't attempt to play faster than you can if it makes you sloppy. This is about the playing of the notes, not the note choices. If you deliberately play out of key, or you use a lot of chromatic tones (*cough* ChromaticChaosPony *cough*), don't worry. That will not lower your score, and in fact might raise it in the Creativity section.

TIPS AND ADVICE
Take note that this is all just my opinion and I may or may not have no idea what I'm talking about. However, seeing as I'm the judge, you might want to consider it. :P

• Compose, don't improvise. Unless you're some incredible improviser who can make an improvised solo sound just as good as a carefully composed one, of course.
  • The idea of this is not a contest to prove who's the fastest guitar player. You will be judged on composition as a whole, so if you can't shred, don't sweat it.
  • Build to a climax. Don't come in at the same intensity you go out. Employ dynamics, move from one scale to another, or do something that makes the solo go somewhere.
  • Playing faster isn't the only way to make things more intense.
  • Take a musical idea and develop it. Don't just play random notes.
  • Just because you're not percussion doesn't mean you shouldn't think about rhythms.
  • If you have something to add to this section, let me know.

FURTHER NOTES

• If you think one of these rules or something is stupid, tell me. I'm open to negotiations.
  • If you would like to help me judge, that'd be great. I want more judges. Just PM me or something, but be aware that I'm not entering in the competition, and I would expect the same of other judges.
  • This post will likely be updated as I put further thought into the rules and incorporate suggestions, so check back often to see if anything changes. I'll probably rewrite this to be more concise and logically laid out, and just make more sense in general.
  • And finally: "For those about to rock, we salute you."
Last edited by MixolydianPony on 26 Mar 2012 16:12, edited 2 times in total.

Acoustic, electric, and 12 string acoustic guitarist, always looking for collabs.
MixolydianPony

Re: The Instrumental Soloing Contest

Postby Lavender_Harmony » 24 Mar 2012 19:40

I'm so down for this!
Lavender_Harmony

Primary: Not yet specified.
Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Postby Pickslide1992 » 24 Mar 2012 20:39

Count me in.
Hey guys, new YouTube!

http://www.youtube.com/user/PowerChordEPS

Gear:
2003 Gibson SG
Line 6 PodXT
FL Studio

Styles: Rock, metal, pop, new wave
Pickslide1992

Postby Gnarrkhaz » 25 Mar 2012 04:28

I'm in.
Gnarrkhaz

Primary: Reaper
Cutie Mark: white solid body guitar

Postby ChromaticChaosPony » 25 Mar 2012 09:16

I was in before this was even posted. *puts on hipster glasses*
ChromaticChaosPony

Postby Pickslide1992 » 25 Mar 2012 15:03

So was I, Chromatic. (Hipster aviators)
Hey guys, new YouTube!

http://www.youtube.com/user/PowerChordEPS

Gear:
2003 Gibson SG
Line 6 PodXT
FL Studio

Styles: Rock, metal, pop, new wave
Pickslide1992

Postby Solarsail » 26 Mar 2012 18:23

The rules are making me smile, you've put a lot of effort into them.
Solarsail

Postby Trixie » 26 Mar 2012 18:50

Count me and my trumpet in.

And, if this continues for long enough, whenever I have more proper recording equipment, me and my drumset.

MUAHAHA
"[5:49:48 PM] Bass Clopper: I reget getting the 17 inch
[5:49:53 PM] Bass Clopper: Harder to fit than the 15 was D:"
Trixie

Postby Versilaryan » 26 Mar 2012 19:31

Let's see if ten years of trumpet can be put to any good use.
Versilaryan

Postby LunchBagMusic » 27 Mar 2012 04:46

Count me in.
LunchBagMusic

Postby Gnarrkhaz » 27 Mar 2012 08:02

MixolydianPony wrote:You may overdub, or use multiple different instruments, as long as it's all played by you.

What if i want drums but don't have a drum kit? Would a synthesized drum pattern count as "played by me"?
Gnarrkhaz

Postby MixolydianPony » 27 Mar 2012 15:27

I'm sorry if it wasn't clear... somewhere in there I said you could do whatever you wanted for the backing track, because the backing isn't the real focus. Synthesized drums are fine. :)

Acoustic, electric, and 12 string acoustic guitarist, always looking for collabs.
MixolydianPony

Postby bartekko » 27 Mar 2012 16:33

If you use drum samples (what you will probably do), it is not synthesis. It's sequencing. Unless you layer them.

According to wikipedia: In general, the noun synthesis (from the ancient Greek σύνθεσις, σύν "with" and θέσις "placing") refers to a combination of two or more entities that together form something new; alternately, it refers to the creating of something by artificial means. The corresponding verb, to synthesize (or synthesise), means to make or form a synthesis.
[00:27:11] <@z0r8> you are voiced, now shut up
bartekko

Postby Gnarrkhaz » 28 Mar 2012 06:42

bartekko wrote:If you use drum samples (what you will probably do), it is not synthesis. It's sequencing. Unless you layer them.

According to wikipedia: In general, the noun synthesis (from the ancient Greek σύνθεσις, σύν "with" and θέσις "placing") refers to a combination of two or more entities that together form something new; alternately, it refers to the creating of something by artificial means. The corresponding verb, to synthesize (or synthesise), means to make or form a synthesis.

Yeah, i will probably never understand the difference.
Gnarrkhaz

Postby @ppleBukker » 28 Mar 2012 06:55

I've usually been one to improv on my solos with the exclusion of a select few, so this is gonna be a nice challenge. I think I'll say what I did when I entered the balloon party:

"I've always been told to do something that scares me so... Count. Me. In."
DAWs: Ableton Live Intro 8, Madtracker II, FamiTracker II,FL Studio 12.5
Preferred Genres: Breakcore, DnB, Uplifting Trance, Punk/Grunge, Smooth Electronica
Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/applebukker
Pony.fm: https://pony.fm/pplebukker
@ppleBukker

Primary: Ableton/FL Studio
Cutie Mark: 16th Note w/ Halo

Postby MixolydianPony » 28 Mar 2012 14:18

Before I go through the trouble of making backing tracks to provide for those that want them, I should probably ask..

Does anyone actually want them? I mean, you all know how to create your own, and it seems that most of you are. Would I be wasting my time?

MixolydianPony

Postby ChromaticChaosPony » 28 Mar 2012 14:53

I'll make a quick one on my own, so I'll be fine.

In other news, I finally got a good microphone. However, I forgot to buy an XLR cable for it. I'll have to wait until Saturday to do any recording. I failed...
ChromaticChaosPony

Postby Gnarrkhaz » 28 Mar 2012 14:56

MixolydianPony wrote:Before I go through the trouble of making backing tracks to provide for those that want them, I should probably ask..

Does anyone actually want them? I mean, you all know how to create your own, and it seems that most of you are. Would I be wasting my time?

I wouldn't want to rewrite my solo anyway. I'm okay i think.
Gnarrkhaz

Postby MixolydianPony » 28 Mar 2012 19:01

ChromaticChaosPony wrote:I forgot to buy an XLR cable for it. I'll have to wait until Saturday to do any recording. I failed...

I laughed out loud at this. Then I felt bad for laughing. Then I reread it and laughed again.

MixolydianPony

Postby @ppleBukker » 29 Mar 2012 15:12

MixolydianPony wrote:Before I go through the trouble of making backing tracks to provide for those that want them, I should probably ask..

I do my best composing and soloing to premade backing tracks. So, I would love some backing tracks.
DAWs: Ableton Live Intro 8, Madtracker II, FamiTracker II,FL Studio 12.5
Preferred Genres: Breakcore, DnB, Uplifting Trance, Punk/Grunge, Smooth Electronica
Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/applebukker
Pony.fm: https://pony.fm/pplebukker
@ppleBukker

Primary: Ableton/FL Studio
Cutie Mark: 16th Note w/ Halo

Postby MasterOfRegret » 29 Mar 2012 18:07

I plan on having two entries if I ever finish writing my second one. I probably won't have time to make a decent backing track for the second one, and as for the first,

Do I have to use a backing track? I want to go full solo with this.
Check out my stuff.
| Youtube | SoundCloud |
I'm finally getting good at this!
MasterOfRegret

Cutie Mark: Guitar

Postby Lavender_Harmony » 29 Mar 2012 19:12

I'd like the challenge of working to someone elses backing track, personally.
Lavender_Harmony

Postby LunchBagMusic » 30 Mar 2012 01:44

Lavender_Harmony wrote:I'd like the challenge of working to someone elses backing track, personally.

Seconded
LunchBagMusic

Postby MixolydianPony » 30 Mar 2012 04:26

Alright, looks like I'm making backing tracks. They'll be up either late tonight or tomorrow. I'm thinking I'll do a jazz one, blues/rock, swing, some variant of metal, folk rock, funk rock, and probably some generic hard rock one (a la Guns n Roses). If there's anything else you want, let me know. I'll be checking this thread constantly because I have no life and nothing better to do love you all deeply and want to ensure that I'm not neglecting the thread.

MasterOfRegret wrote:Do I have to use a backing track? I want to go full solo with this.

Nope. Do it.

MixolydianPony

Postby Belgerum » 31 Mar 2012 09:38

OMG

TRUMPETTIMETRUMPETTIMETRUMPETTIMETRUMPETTIME

I'm in.
Belgerum: Musician, organizer of the "Lesser Knowns" albums, and total weirdo.

Youtube - Skype
Belgerum

Primary: Reason 6.5
Cutie Mark: Muthaf***ing Rainbows

Next

Return to Challenges, Contests, and Events