Conceptual Game OST Collab Idea Thing

Current events we're participating in.

Conceptual Game OST Collab Idea Thing

Postby Interrobang Pie » 14 Jul 2011 06:52

Just an idea I had whilst going to sleep last night.

Basically, I was thinking about bringing us all together a little more by collabbing on one project - some sort of game OST. The game itself won't be made, so it ends up a little bit like a collab album.

We'd need to decide on a like medium - naturally I would say Famitracker since it is easy (for me), it is easy to share and you can have multiple songs inside one module, so only one .ftm would ever need to be made. However, there are only a few people that use Famitracker (of which I am probably the most avid user), so it might not be the best choice. We could, of course, use FL and similar things, but not all of us have the same instrument sets so there would be a lot of inconsistencies in the OST.

We would also need to decide on a genre for the 'game' - obviously a puzzle game's soundtrack is going to be a lot different than an action platformer's. And then we would need to decide how the 'game' would be played - who are the protagonists? Who are the antagonists? Would we have a collection of generically themed levels (like Sonic)? Would we have pieces based on each character (like in Mega Man)? There is a lot for one person to decide, so I'd like some feedback on this.

There would be a large variety of styles in the OST - obviously Rarity would need some classical theme, and Rainbow Dash would need something rocky. There would also be a few other tracks, like title, options screen, game over, boss battle, etc., depending on the genre of the game, so don't worry if you find composing for Pinkie Pie hard - we've got other area that you could cover instead!

I wouldn't want to start this project until after the RWIII has finished, however, so don't get all panicky. This project doesn't need any particular deadline either - it could be something we keep adding to in small bursts.

Hopefully by doing this we can learn how to tackle different sorts of genres. Maybe if we post it it to EqD we can inspire somepony to make a great fangame!!! Who knows?

Anyway, give a shout if you are interested in participating in something like this.
A great man wrote:Circuitfry: fries circuits of this whole topic, one at a time (I know that's not how servers work, but Puns work all the time)
Interrobang Pie

Re: Conceptual Game OST Collab Idea Thing

Postby aap998 » 14 Jul 2011 08:32

Though I won't be of any use, I think this is an awesome project! I'm really curious how these sort of challenges will turn out :P
aap998

Postby Dr_Dissonance » 14 Jul 2011 08:44

I would love to join in on this of course! I don't particularly have much to say in regards to the direction of this project, but I'm happy to help!
Tubeyou
You are the hero My Little Remix deserves, not the one it needs.
So we’ll hunt you. Because you can take it. Because you’re not our hero.
You’re a silent guardian of music, a watchful protector of songs.
A doctor of dissonance.
-Phillypu
Dr_Dissonance

Postby Pinkie Cake » 14 Jul 2011 09:19

Great idea, would like to attend in it if my skills would allow that.

Funny thing: yesterday I though about a massive collab where all of us would attend, but my idea was 1 song in which everypony had about 15-20 seconds to do something. (stupid? isn't it?)
Pinkie Cake

Postby Bagpipe Brony » 14 Jul 2011 09:25

I'm an orchestral and folk/ethnic music guy so I dunno how I could be much help. But if you need me, I'm so game for it ^^.
~Our resident Bagpipe Playing, too-much-bling wearing, Smirnoff drinking, Coca Cola addicted, rockstar-wannabe, Glam Brony.
-Stuck in the 80's since 1989
Projects lined up:
-CMC Baroque techno remix
-Rarity's Battle theme
O__o lame sig...
Bagpipe Brony

Postby Raider310 » 14 Jul 2011 13:34

Yeah, if you're doing an ost i'd love to help out, i can do either something orchestral or something more dancey/techno like. But if it's rock you're looking for, i'm not really good at rock music, but if you need me, just pm me!
Raider310

Postby Interrobang Pie » 14 Jul 2011 14:22

Well, the genres of each piece would need to be decided at a later date - for some it is obvious what feel it needs to have (eg. Nightmare Moon Level) whilst for others it is up in the air (eg. menu screen). You're welcome to toss about ideas for what tracks need to be made cause I haven't decided yet and probably can't decide on my own.
A great man wrote:Circuitfry: fries circuits of this whole topic, one at a time (I know that's not how servers work, but Puns work all the time)
Interrobang Pie

Postby Bagpipe Brony » 14 Jul 2011 14:35

From my expereince, Makkon, NaCP, and I seem to have very different yet equally kick-ass ideas for music to Nightmare Moon. NC's got techno, Makkon has the Orchestral skillz, and I have the Movie trailer/ orchestral thing going. which do you think would work for your vision? provided makkon and NC are ok for it as well lol.
~Our resident Bagpipe Playing, too-much-bling wearing, Smirnoff drinking, Coca Cola addicted, rockstar-wannabe, Glam Brony.
-Stuck in the 80's since 1989
Projects lined up:
-CMC Baroque techno remix
-Rarity's Battle theme
O__o lame sig...
Bagpipe Brony

Postby Interrobang Pie » 14 Jul 2011 15:37

I don't know, I don't have a vision yet. It would change depending on the genre of the 'game', which of course is on the floor for now. Part of the challenge, I think, is making a song work for the setting as much as the genre. For example, an orchestral piece would fit Nightmare perfectly, but would it really fit a fast-paced game? There are some instances where it would and some instances where it wouldn't.

Anyway, should we decide on a genre for this 'game' before we proceed? Like, RPG? Platformer? Puzzle? FPS? RTS?
Interrobang Pie

Postby General Mumble » 15 Jul 2011 04:56

Just to let you know, I'd like in on this.

I've made plenty of pieces before that accompany custom maps for Unreal Tournament, so I'd really enjoy to make music for this game that will remain forever in our heads.

However, I only use FL. I think this weekend I'll look into Famitracker, though... that is, if this collaboration and remix war isn't going to take up the weekend.
Something, something, ponies.
Something, something, friendship.
General Mumble

Primary: Not yet specified.
Cutie Mark: Poo

Postby General Mumble » 15 Jul 2011 04:58

I just read about not starting until Remix War III is over, so scrap that last part.

EDIT: I should have just edited the last post really.
Something, something, ponies.
Something, something, friendship.
General Mumble

Cutie Mark: Poo

Postby Overkillius » 18 Jul 2011 03:34

I want to participate in this, it sounds fun.
> Music Youtube! <
>>>> Tumblr! <<<<
Overkillius wrote:The bad thing about music... is that it is subjective.
The good thing about music... is that it is subjective!
Overkillius

Primary: Reaper, Famitracker
Cutie Mark: #9 Chords

Postby ArtAttack » 18 Jul 2011 12:57

I'd love to try my hand at something like this. Get me outside of my comfort zone a bit.
Name: Sam
DAW: FL Studio 10
Genre: French Electro, Electro House, Complextro, Dubstep
Current Projects:
SECOND ALBUM
BALLOON PARTY: Tourniqakes
Lots of remixes omg
ArtAttack

Cutie Mark: idiot mark

Postby ClutterTrot » 18 Jul 2011 22:50

I don't mean to hijack Interrobang Pie's project, but when you guys start working on your tracks, could you guys aim for the missing scenes for Role Pony Game's track listing? Missing tracks are listed in bold.

The one thing I want the most is a theme of the final boss.
*The Final Boss: (Who ever makes this, have fun with it. I only ask that it has lot's of energy, sounds of finality, and snippets of melodies form the MLP:FIM theme song and Luna Deos.)

Another thing I say I need badly is a theme for Gilda (she will not be depicted as a villain). Also make note of the ground rules I put up that restrict the use of spoken words and background sound effects, as it can hurt where a song can be used.
ClutterTrot

Postby ArtAttack » 18 Jul 2011 23:34

I'd gladly take on the final boss theme if anypony else doesn't have their heart set on it.
Name: Sam
DAW: FL Studio 10
Genre: French Electro, Electro House, Complextro, Dubstep
Current Projects:
SECOND ALBUM
BALLOON PARTY: Tourniqakes
Lots of remixes omg
ArtAttack

Cutie Mark: idiot mark

Postby ClutterTrot » 19 Jul 2011 00:27

ArtAttack wrote:I'd gladly take on the final boss theme if anypony else doesn't have their heart set on it.

I'm going to include a secret in the game that allows the player to fight the final boss at two points sooner before the player should, kind of like in Chrono Trigger. So if there's more than one taker for the final boss theme, it won't be that big of an issue. :D

Also, make sure to create looping points are far apart and indistinct from each other, Luna's chosen theme song has a minute long intro, followed by an 8 second loop because an indistinct looping point couldn't be found earlier in the song.
ClutterTrot

Postby Interrobang Pie » 19 Jul 2011 08:16

I'll probably just recreate an old track of mine and give it to you or something.
Interrobang Pie

Return to Challenges, Contests, and Events