-

Current events we're participating in.

Re: Community House Mix

Postby Nine Volt » 25 Oct 2012 14:36

--
Last edited by Nine Volt on 20 Jan 2014 09:57, edited 1 time in total.
Nine Volt

Postby Pseudo » 25 Oct 2012 14:54

Well, since this isn't a mix, I'll volunteer to....

Mix them.
As I have no expertise making music, might as well put myself to good use.
I cannot make music at all.

I can mix very well. PM me if you want me to mix ANYTHING. However, college is sapping my spare time at the moment. MLR is a once-in-a-blue-moon thing.

My Radio Livestream!

Sufficiently Heartwarming Pseudo (175+)
Pseudo

Postby Sonarch » 25 Oct 2012 14:56

@Nine Volt: If you, for whatever reason, can't find an artist, that's also probably something you could get through EqD. Just send an email saying the album needs an artist to do the cover art, and your info so the artist can contact you. But I assume someone on here knows artists a little better than I do, so I doubt that'll be an issue.

On an unrelated note, I am going to have to work a bit harder if i'm going to get a track done by late December. Since I have never done a house song, and have little experience with house outside of brony songs, can you all suggest some artists/songs I can listen to so I can familiarize myself with the genre? Specifically, electro-house, as that's what my collab partner and I decided on.
My goal is to be capable of making any kind of music that strikes my fancy, and do it well.
Twitter @SonarchMusic
Soundcloud
Tumblr
Sonarch

Primary: FL Studio

Postby Nine Volt » 25 Oct 2012 15:07

--
Last edited by Nine Volt on 20 Jan 2014 09:57, edited 1 time in total.
Nine Volt

Postby DJ TATCM » 25 Oct 2012 15:32

Pseudo, this is already going to be a mix.
CommandSpry wrote:srbija never explore pleasure of sit :(

Vote for my remix here!
Soundcloud
BandCamp
YouTube
our love is stronger than a golden banana
DJ TATCM

Primary: FL Studio 10
Cutie Mark: trent reznor

Postby Freewave » 25 Oct 2012 16:54

Sonarch wrote:On an unrelated note, I am going to have to work a bit harder if i'm going to get a track done by late December. Since I have never done a house song, and have little experience with house outside of brony songs, can you all suggest some artists/songs I can listen to so I can familiarize myself with the genre? Specifically, electro-house, as that's what my collab partner and I decided on.

If you're looking into Electo House check out Archie. You can also check out Silva Hound for French House and modern styled and SimGretina for Progressive House for brony music.

Otherwise here's a general guide to a lot of flavors of house http://rateyourmusic.com/list/TheScient ... set__house

Pseudo wrote:Well, since this isn't a mix, I'll volunteer to....

Mix them.
As I have no expertise making music, might as well put myself to good use.

4th already claimed it. It's a mix cd and those duties already taken.
Links for my music: YouTube, Bandcamp, and Tumblr
Check out the Brony Music Directory and FimMusic. A portal for all pony music
Support the 20+ Musician Maressey Project currently underway.
Freewave

Primary: Fl Studio 10
Cutie Mark: X$X

Postby ChromaticChaosPony » 25 Oct 2012 17:44

Nine Volt wrote:That reminds me: Anyone willing to do album art?

Alrighty, I'll send an email to them once we've got details worked out better.

Sure. What am I supposed to draw for it?
ChromaticChaosPony

Primary: Not yet specified.
Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Postby Nine Volt » 25 Oct 2012 17:48

--
Last edited by Nine Volt on 20 Jan 2014 09:58, edited 1 time in total.
Nine Volt

Postby ChromaticChaosPony » 25 Oct 2012 17:57

Nine Volt wrote:Something good for album art. IDK, make something and we'll see if we like it.

Also, remember this?

Something like that would be coolio too i guess, but I'm not the only one you should talk to about teh arts.

Not sure how Chtulu or guitars relate to house music, but I think I can try to fit a monster onto the album art. Obviously, I'm going to vector some ponies into it in Inkscape (because ponies are cool). I'll also try to think of some cool visual effects to tie it together. I'll need to know what the actual theme of it is first.

Also, I'm new to vector art. I'm decent at it, but I take much longer than experienced vector artists. I also have a lot of school work.

I can get it certainly get it done, but it will probably take somewhere around 3 weeks to complete.

Edit: I tend to be an overperfectionist on drawing and vectoring. My current vector drawing (still a WIP) is simply Roseluck doing the 'Fluttershy Yay' pose. I haven't finished the outline, and it already contains 11 layers. At least it looks good...
ChromaticChaosPony

Postby Freewave » 25 Oct 2012 18:04

I'm sure an existing deviant art might be ok with taking an image of Pon-3 by self or in a club setting and ok'ing use and some text on there. No need to spend 3 weeks making art that may be unrelated to the project.
Freewave

Postby ChromaticChaosPony » 25 Oct 2012 18:11

Freewave wrote:I'm sure an existing deviant art might be ok with taking an image of Pon-3 by self or in a club setting and ok'ing use and some text on there. No need to spend 3 weeks making art that may be unrelated to the project.

;_; I'm being replaced for already existing art and whoever plans to slap text on it. Im cry.

I hope the font of the text is comic sans! *runs away crying*
ChromaticChaosPony

Postby Nine Volt » 25 Oct 2012 18:18

--
Nine Volt

Postby Sonarch » 25 Oct 2012 18:43

Wingdings are better. Fite me.
My goal is to be capable of making any kind of music that strikes my fancy, and do it well.
Twitter @SonarchMusic
Soundcloud
Tumblr
Sonarch

Postby Nine Volt » 25 Oct 2012 18:45

--
Nine Volt

Postby Sonarch » 25 Oct 2012 19:00

Alright, why not have a general rundown of how a house song might be produced? I realize most people in this thread probably already make house themselves, but a few interested folks might want to give it a try for the first time, like me, and need some help getting started.
Twitter @SonarchMusic
Soundcloud
Tumblr
Sonarch

Postby Captain Ironhelm » 25 Oct 2012 19:59

Sonarch wrote:Alright, why not have a general rundown of how a house song might be produced? I realize most people in this thread probably already make house themselves, but a few interested folks might want to give it a try for the first time, like me, and need some help getting started.

A random article that popped up when I googled just now (there's probably much better stuff out there):
http://news.beatport.com/blog/2009/06/29/how-to-write-a-hit-house-track-10-top-tips/

Anyway, a way to start is to copy the layout of another house song, but use your own melody/chords/sounds, and such. You're just using a template, or framework. People tend to like familiar arrangement. (By arrangement I mean how the song is structured.) You have your framework, so all you have to do is drop in your own elements.

take it or leave it, some prefer more originality.
Captain Ironhelm

Postby Pseudo » 26 Oct 2012 06:29

DJ TATCM wrote:Pseudo, this is already going to be a mix.

I am aware. *applejacklieface.gif*

Kind of volunteering, I suppose. To take 4th's place should something come awry.
But if there's some mixing to be done in some way, I want to do it.

I'm sorry if I annoyed anyone...

I can mix very well. PM me if you want me to mix ANYTHING. However, college is sapping my spare time at the moment. MLR is a once-in-a-blue-moon thing.

My Radio Livestream!

Pseudo

Postby Nine Volt » 26 Oct 2012 06:34

--
Nine Volt

Postby Pseudo » 26 Oct 2012 09:24

Good enough. Consider me inactive to this.

My Radio Livestream!

Pseudo

Postby DXsmiley » 26 Oct 2012 15:54

This sounds interesting. I'll give it a shot, but I don't think I've ever made a true house track. Also I might have a go at cover art. Maybe.
DXsmiley

Primary: Logic Pro 9
Cutie Mark: Filtered Arpeggios

Postby ChromaticChaosPony » 26 Oct 2012 18:03

DXsmiley wrote:This sounds interesting. I'll give it a shot, but I don't think I've ever made a true house track. Also I might have a go at cover art. Maybe.

Fight me for it!

Just kidding. But seriously, what should the art for this even be? Vinyl Scratch related? Subwoofers drawn all over the background? Audio spectrums? Lasers? Neon?

I also had my own idea: Derpy behind the turntables instead of Vinyl Scratch. Is this acceptable?
ChromaticChaosPony

Postby Freewave » 26 Oct 2012 18:14

ChromaticChaosPony wrote:I also had my own idea: Derpy behind the turntables instead of Vinyl Scratch. Is this acceptable?

ARE YOU SAYING THAT HOUSE MUSIC IS RETARDED???? :evil:

Oh you're likely not. :lol: I dunno.

there was actually a funny picture of Celestia behind the decks and Vinyl Scratch looking perplexed. Again lets not spend 3 weeks on some poor user putting together vectors if we can find an existing image that will work well. If you have one that will work pop it in here and get opinions.
Freewave

Postby Nine Volt » 26 Oct 2012 18:17

--
Nine Volt

Postby ChromaticChaosPony » 26 Oct 2012 18:52

Fine. If OP wants new art, I'm available. Otherwise, I guess I'll stick to making a song for this.

---

I already finished the kick drum for my song. Considering that I'm making electro house, I'm already 15% done with sound design. It only took me 2 hours to make. Yay!

Electro House Kick Drum tutorial:
Good samples (I used Vengeance's "Dirty Electro" pack)
Compressor (setting vary for you sample; I lowered the threshold to -16db, infinite compression ratio)
Equalizer (setting vary for you sample; I removed stuff below 40hz and at 600 hz; boost at 50hz and between 1-2 khz; high shelf somewhere between 23-27 khz)
Saturator (I used the one in Ableton and lowered the base, used the 'color' setting, soft sine, lowered the frequency, and lowered the drive a little to avoid getting a hardstyle kick)
Utility in Live (lowered the volume for mixing purposes, centering the kick slightly more in the stereo mix, and easier volume automation)
Another equalizer (for later use in mixing)
Filter (for filter sweep effect in some parts of the song)

Simple. Punchy and heavy electro kick. Can probably be used for other genres, like dubstep. No Sausage Fattener or Soundgoodizer involved. Seems to fit well with the rest of the song (so far).

I'm not sure if anyone else uses a saturator on their kick drums. Does anyone here do that? I think it works great for heavier stuff, and it doesn't absolutely destroy the sample like you might be thinking.

Remember to mix at -6.0db. Also, switch all VSTs to maximum latency only just before exporting (for best possible quality). Leave them on zero latency while you're still making the song (to avoid killing the CPU). Listen to the finished sound on both headphones and speakers to make sure it sounds good. For example: I would have never noticed some awful high fequencies had I not tested it on speakers. If I hadn't fixed this before working on the rest of the song, I probably would have made an utter mess of the mix.

If you're making electro house for this like I am, then you should benefit from this at least a little. Please give me feedback on wheter this was helpful or not.

It sounds like this:

http://soundcloud.com/chromatic-chaos-pony/electro-kick
ChromaticChaosPony

Postby Nine Volt » 26 Oct 2012 19:46

--
Last edited by Nine Volt on 20 Jan 2014 09:59, edited 1 time in total.
Nine Volt

PreviousNext

Return to Challenges, Contests, and Events