Soundcloud: http://soundcloud.com/rainbowjack
Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/RainbowjackMusic
Twitter: https://twitter.com/Rainbowjack1
Skype Name: rainbowjack12598
Rainbowjack

Re: Balloon Party: The After Party Mix

Postby Fimbulin » 05 Jul 2012 03:06

Rainbowjack wrote:Didn't make it on :(

Me either, but that doesn't mean mine's not a good piece of art. It just means that I created a track that wasn't the dubstyle they wanted.
Analytical music theorist!
http://www.youtube.com/fimbulinmusic
http://www.soundcloud.com/fimbulin

FL Studio, Kontakt 5, orchestral mostly. I buy my gear.
I haunt skype so ask me questions there or viewtopic.php?f=32&t=8502
Fimbulin

Postby Rainbowjack » 05 Jul 2012 03:15

Facade and I are making another one :3 come join
I like music /)*(\

Soundcloud: http://soundcloud.com/rainbowjack
Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/RainbowjackMusic
Twitter: https://twitter.com/Rainbowjack1
Skype Name: rainbowjack12598
Rainbowjack

Postby Acsii » 05 Jul 2012 03:21

Rainbowjack wrote:Facade and I are making another one :3 come join

*raises hand* PICK ME
20 something Transgirl that makes sounds called music
Soundcloud | Facebook | Bandcamp | Blog
Placing my tongue on the GR meter to taste the gain reduction I some how improved my skills.
Acsii

Primary: Logic Pro X
Cutie Mark: Old round oscilloscope

Postby Fimbulin » 05 Jul 2012 03:24

Idk about a third go around guys. It just seems to get old.

Fimbulin

Postby Lethaargic » 05 Jul 2012 03:27

"there's no reason to hide when you don't do as well as you'd hoped. you can't run away from your problems, better to run to your family and friends."

Really feelin' this right now, thanks to my family who aren't reading this right now for their support.
art is the quintessential embodiment of telepathy, it is how we show each other the inside of our minds

Previously Spacepsy

SoundCloud
Lethaargic

Postby Captain Ironhelm » 05 Jul 2012 04:24

Goodness, so many parties.
Last edited by Captain Ironhelm on 06 Jul 2012 03:07, edited 1 time in total.
Captain Ironhelm

Postby K3WRO » 05 Jul 2012 04:56

Fimbulin wrote:It just means that I created a track that wasn't the dubstyle they wanted.

Is it always like this?

and iornhelm is right, we had enough of a party for now
Soundcloud : http://www.soundcloud.com/megapie-1
Youtube : http://www.youtube.com/user/antigravtoast2/featured

-I'm not Dead, I just don't make small horse music anymore-
K3WRO

Primary: Reason
Cutie Mark: Your Face

Postby Freewave » 05 Jul 2012 05:58

Hangover Party
Links for my music: YouTube, Bandcamp, and Tumblr
Check out the Brony Music Directory and FimMusic. A portal for all pony music
Support the 20+ Musician Maressey Project currently underway.
Freewave

Primary: Fl Studio 10
Cutie Mark: X$X

Postby Seven » 05 Jul 2012 06:39

DJ Pon-3 wrote:Hangover Party

Haha, second that.
Constructive criticism is more than welcome. I embrace it.

I rarely make any sense when I post from my phone. And I post from my phone.
Seven

Postby Xemogasa » 05 Jul 2012 12:39

Rainbowjack wrote:Facade and I are making another one :3 come join

Another Balloon Party album? :o I JOIN
Xemogasa

Postby Aerial View » 05 Jul 2012 13:07

We could make another album but it should be a little different.
Having tons of Balloon Party albums all at once is a little crazy.
Aerial View

Postby TheDnBGremlin » 05 Jul 2012 13:33

I don't even think we should do a new album. Too many albums, with Cowbell Party, Balloon Party, After Party, Soft Spectrum, ExTacy, and the other fifty-billion (estimate) collab albums being created, we don't need more.
TheDnBGremlin

Postby NeonJalapeno » 05 Jul 2012 21:58

I have no idea how I made it on, but I did.
-- YouTube -- Soundcloud -- Bandcamp -- Facebook -- Tumblr (hardly used, but hey whatever) --

Latest Track:
https://soundcloud.com/neonjalapeno/tyrant-vip
NeonJalapeno

Primary: FL Studio
Cutie Mark: Garbage Disposal

Postby vladnuke » 06 Jul 2012 02:55

Wait guise, wat abou Pinkameana party? (is only mentioning it because it's the only place he got accepted.)
vladnuke

Postby Sonic Breakbeat » 06 Jul 2012 08:59

I didn't get in, and honestly I'm really surprised at that. I didn't get one ounce of negative or neutral feedback; everything said about my submission was positive, and I didn't get any criticism. I even got a positive comment from Aviators himself. I posted my teaser in a bunch of places, and got a lot of comments, but none of them really helped to make my submission "good enough".

It doesn't matter to me though; this isn't the first time I've submitted my hardest work to something and didn't even get noticed. It's happened plenty of times before, so I'm used to it. I'm going to continue trying to improve my music and getting involved in stuff like this, but without a single negative comment or constructive criticism I really don't see how I can improve.

Sorry if I sound like I'm complaining or whining that I didn't get in, but in honesty, I'm not. Congrats to all who got in, I plan on listening to the whole album when I have time.
Sonic Breakbeat - Stargazing (Original Mix)
http://soundcloud.com/epicallyawsm/stargazing
DAW: Cubase 6.5
VSTs: Massive, Sylenth1, Battery 3, Ozone 5, Melodyne
Genre: Drum and Bass, Prog. House, EDM
Hardware: M-AUDIO Oxygen49, Numark Mixtrack Pro
Sonic Breakbeat

Postby Fimbulin » 06 Jul 2012 14:27

Sonic Breakbeat wrote:I didn't get in, and honestly I'm really surprised at that. I didn't get one ounce of negative or neutral feedback; everything said about my submission was positive, and I didn't get any criticism. I even got a positive comment from Aviators himself. I posted my teaser in a bunch of places, and got a lot of comments, but none of them really helped to make my submission "good enough".

It doesn't matter to me though; this isn't the first time I've submitted my hardest work to something and didn't even get noticed. It's happened plenty of times before, so I'm used to it. I'm going to continue trying to improve my music and getting involved in stuff like this, but without a single negative comment or constructive criticism I really don't see how I can improve.

Sorry if I sound like I'm complaining or whining that I didn't get in, but in honesty, I'm not. Congrats to all who got in, I plan on listening to the whole album when I have time.

I just listened to your track, and I must say, it was not the dubstyle they were looking for. That's the case with most of the submissions. They're good entries, maybe even better than some of the Balloon Party tracks, but they aren't the right dubstyle. I'm kinda' in the same boat as you in that I never ever got negatine feedback on my track, but my track was very experimental in nature, so it would've stuck out on the album.

Fimbulin

Postby Belgerum » 06 Jul 2012 14:32

We need to have some kind of album where people post other genres. Like, an orchestral album or something would be really cool. I think there's too many of these "Dubstyle" albums that just leave out all other kinds of music.
Belgerum: Musician, organizer of the "Lesser Knowns" albums, and total weirdo.

Youtube - Skype
Belgerum

Primary: Reason 6.5
Cutie Mark: Muthaf***ing Rainbows

Postby Sonic Breakbeat » 06 Jul 2012 14:55

Fimbulin wrote:
Sonic Breakbeat wrote:I didn't get in, and honestly I'm really surprised at that. I didn't get one ounce of negative or neutral feedback; everything said about my submission was positive, and I didn't get any criticism. I even got a positive comment from Aviators himself. I posted my teaser in a bunch of places, and got a lot of comments, but none of them really helped to make my submission "good enough".

I just listened to your track, and I must say, it was not the dubstyle they were looking for. That's the case with most of the submissions. They're good entries, maybe even better than some of the Balloon Party tracks, but they aren't the right dubstyle. I'm kinda' in the same boat as you in that I never ever got negatine feedback on my track, but my track was very experimental in nature, so it would've stuck out on the album.

An album filled with the same sounding dubstep tracks does not sound pleasing at all, but if that's really what they were going for, than fine.

I tried to make my track sound unlike anyone else's, because if it was like someone else's, that would be unoriginal, and we already have enough unoriginal musicians in this universe.

Otherwise, if they wanted a more upbeat and faster tempo track sounding more like Electro House, I would understand, but all that was said was "make it hard", and I did make it hard.

And one more thing: the original BP had 45 tracks, which honestly I think is a good number for an event of this size. This, however, was a smaller event claiming to have lighter judgment, but had 26 tracks (excluding bonus). There are quite a few tracks that fit perfectly IMO that didn't make it; why couldn't they have made room for at least 10 more? Doesn't seem right to me, and not true to the original album.
Sonic Breakbeat

Postby Fimbulin » 06 Jul 2012 15:06

Sonic Breakbeat wrote:An album filled with the same sounding dubstep tracks does not sound pleasing at all, but if that's really what they were going for, fine.

I tried to make my track sound unlike anyone else's, because if I did, that would be unoriginal, and we already have enough unoriginal musicians in this universe.

Otherwise, if they wanted a more upbeat and faster tempo track sounding more like Electro House, I would understand, but all that was said was "make it hard", and I did make it hard.

And one more thing: the original BP had 45 tracks, which honestly I think is a good number for an event of this size. This, however, was a smaller event claiming to have lighter judgment, and had 26 tracks (excluding bonus). There are quite a few tracks that fit perfectly IMO that didn't make it; why couldn't they have made room for at least 10 more? Doesn't seem right to me, and not true to the original album.

It was a good effort on everybody's part that participated, but honestly, after hearing some of the submissions from BP that didn't make it, and then hearing their "Big improvement" on the submissions for the APM, I can see why so many submissions didn't make it. The original BP album post that said they needed orchestral was bogus. They got so many submissions that they were able to get almost 40 tracks in the knife party style that they had originally wanted, so they excluded most of the rest. The closest thing to orchestral was Makkon, but what he wrote was some pretty good industrial. He had a big part in making the album happen, so he was bound to be featured on the album. Yes, there was a major bias towards the submissions, but that is what made both albums what they are.

Fimbulin

Postby Sonic Breakbeat » 06 Jul 2012 15:33

Fimbulin wrote:
Sonic Breakbeat wrote:An album filled with the same sounding dubstep tracks does not sound pleasing at all, but if that's really what they were going for, fine.

I tried to make my track sound unlike anyone else's, because if I did, that would be unoriginal, and we already have enough unoriginal musicians in this universe.

And one more thing: the original BP had 45 tracks, which honestly I think is a good number for an event of this size. This, however, was a smaller event claiming to have lighter judgment, and had 26 tracks (excluding bonus). There are quite a few tracks that fit perfectly IMO that didn't make it; why couldn't they have made room for at least 10 more? Doesn't seem right to me, and not true to the original album.

It was a good effort on everybody's part that participated, but honestly, after hearing some of the submissions from BP that didn't make it, and then hearing their "Big improvement" on the submissions for the APM, I can see why so many submissions didn't make it. The original BP album post that said they needed orchestral was bogus. They got so many submissions that they were able to get almost 40 tracks in the knife party style that they had originally wanted, so they excluded most of the rest. The closest thing to orchestral was Makkon, but what he wrote was some pretty good industrial. He had a big part in making the album happen, so he was bound to be featured on the album. Yes, there was a major bias towards the submissions, but that is what made both albums what they are.

I still don't think it's right; they DID say the judging would be lighter, and while I always had a doubt about my track being rejected, there were a lot of other tracks that sounded like they should be in the first Balloon Party album but got rejected from APM. There weren't as many submissions as the first BP, but there were enough quality ones that more should have gotten in, in my opinion.

Anyway, I hope they didn't consider audio quality while judging, cause a lot of my songs get compressed hardcore while uploading to YouTube.
Sonic Breakbeat

Postby VINXIS » 07 Jul 2012 06:45

Sonic Breakbeat wrote:
Fimbulin wrote:

I still don't think it's right; they DID say the judging would be lighter, and while I always had a doubt about my track being rejected, there were a lot of other tracks that sounded like they should be in the first Balloon Party album but got rejected from APM. There weren't as many submissions as the first BP, but there were enough quality ones that more should have gotten in, in my opinion.

Anyway, I hope they didn't consider audio quality while judging, cause a lot of my songs get compressed hardcore while uploading to YouTube.

Urm, the judges knew people would be arguing about the album and submissions.
I get about what you're saying, but I agree most about the youtube thing; if they only looked at youtube to listen to these, then already, 3/4 of the submissions would be out because of the crap youtube does when you upload something, it either turns out fine, or a whole disaster. They should've downloaded all and listen instead if they didn't do that
VINXIS

Primary: Ableton 9 live (like 99% of the time)
Cutie Mark: pls

Postby itroitnyah » 07 Jul 2012 07:11

I`m sorta glad that none of my tracks made it. None of them were very good now that I go back and review them. The vocals were pretty out of place p, the build ups were not good at all, and the drops were horrible in general. I really need to get the full version of FLS10. Making tracks in 1 sitting probably isn`t good =\ and lmms doesn`t even run massive, it doesn`t have as good effects, so no EQ or soundgoodizers. Im at a loss of what to do =\
Image Image I am no longer an active member. here
My studio: [List of equipment]
itroitnyah

Primary: FL Studio 11
Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Postby CrashDistortion » 07 Jul 2012 10:36

For people disappointed about not making it, here:
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=3552

This was actually made before After Party got released, but it seems as if this is what you guys are after. True, we don't need any more dubstep, hardstyle, heavy st0ff. Also, to the people who didn't make it: You guys didn't make bad or low-quality music. This is regarding both this and the original Balloon Party, there are a few songs that just aren't the style they are looking for. If you did much to stray away from the ordinary, you probably didn't make it. There were a few songs that I thought would make BP and APM, however, they didn't. It's a personal opinion, there's never a very "good" way to judge artistic work of any kind. It will always be very biased.
Sean James: Dropping the Bass Since 2010
5COPY is Ghay EP
DarkScape EP
Berlin EP
~Generic Stuff~
CrashDistortion

Postby Navron » 07 Jul 2012 18:34

I didn't participate in the AFM, due to being very busy, but looking at the tracks that made it, I only have one question.

Why...again...are there multiple tracks by the same artists, when there's plenty of tracks that were right on the cutoff?

In other words, why not select an artist's best submission, and then basically be, "Hey, you got your track on BP, good job." Why do I see the same names about 4-5 times in the track listing? Oh, is that one a remix? Guess that doesn't count as their original track. Is that one a collab? Well, it's not their individual track, because it's not just them.

Basically you have an artist submitting an original track, a collaboration with someone else, a remix of another's songs, and then somebody else remixing that artist's song. In the end you see the same artists listed on 4-5 separate tracks.

All I'm saying, is it's a bit overkill. You let artists that already have an original featured, to also have their remixes and collabs featured as well, when there's plenty of musicians waiting on the sidelines that don't have a single piece accepted into either album.
DAW: Cubase 6.5, Ableton Live 8
Preferred Genre: Industrial/Trance
Hardware: Schecter Diamond Series Bass, Yamaha Acoustic Guitar, BP355 Effects Pedal, Keystudio 49K Keyboard, Akai APC40, Korg nanoKEY2 25k Keyboard
Navron
Global Moderator

Primary: Cubase 6.5

PreviousNext

Return to Challenges, Contests, and Events