Why are Women/Boys Choirs overused...

This isn't a forum for specifically talking about production or posting your own music, but it is a place to talk about the music you are listening to.

Why are Women/Boys Choirs overused...

Postby TheSkullX2 » 20 Aug 2014 18:08

...in music that requires choir?

Title say it all.

Whether it's in Movie of Video Games,pretty much 3/4 of the "with choir" scorings consist of only Women & Boys Choir.

Now don't get me wrong!I actually like this type of use but i think Men Choir should have as much consideration as Women & Boys Choir have.(& so should Gregorian Men)

Do you also think Men Choir should have more consideration?
TheSkullX2

Primary: Fl Studio 11
Cutie Mark: A burning conduct baton

Re: Why are Women/Boys Choirs overused...

Postby itroitnyah » 20 Aug 2014 19:01

Women's choirs tend to do a better dramatic high range piece easier than men, and boys tend to represent innocence or hope or some shit like that. Or that's my take on it. Those are just the stereotypes though, there are a lot of good pieces that use both men's and women's choirs. A lot of music from The Lion King comes to mind, particularly "Be Prepared"
Image Image I am no longer an active member. here
My studio: [List of equipment]
itroitnyah

Primary: FL Studio 11
Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Postby Mr. Bigglesworth » 21 Aug 2014 07:33

the chanting in movies like District 9 has been done a lot, even though I love the vibe it's a little overdone :/
I'm not here anymore, but if you want you can still just call me Mr. BigBagelBoggle!

Sound
Face
You
Mr. Bigglesworth

Primary: FL Studio
Cutie Mark: My own ass

Postby Pulse Wave » 24 Aug 2014 09:55

Men's choirs have their clichés, too, which make them appear useful only in a few select cases. My associations with men's choirs are for example Don Cossacks, Alexandrov Red Army Ensemble and similar Russian choirs, African call/response-style chants à la Ladysmith Black Mambazo (in case anyone remembers the Moonwalker end credits), shanty choirs (plus the inevitable accordion) and Richard Wagner.
Old brony, older than old school.
Gear list, Jabber ID: see my profile.
No FL Studio, no VSTs. No Skype, no YouTube.

Sounds fly through the night, I follow Vın̈yl Scratch to Pony Wonderland.
Pulse Wave

OS: For music, you mean? Debian Buster + bits and pieces of KXStudio.
Primary: Hardware synths and samplers and sequencing and effects and mixing all the way. Plus Qtractor.
Cutie Mark: Green 33% width pulse wave

Postby Navron » 26 Aug 2014 12:42

A good example of a men's choir being used:
DAW: Cubase 6.5, Ableton Live 8
Preferred Genre: Industrial/Trance
Hardware: Schecter Diamond Series Bass, Yamaha Acoustic Guitar, BP355 Effects Pedal, Keystudio 49K Keyboard, Akai APC40, Korg nanoKEY2 25k Keyboard
Navron
Global Moderator

Primary: Cubase 6.5

Postby TheSkullX2 » 03 Oct 2014 14:14

@itroitnyah:speaking of stereotypes,men's choir also appears in some medieval music, the only concrete example imo being Skyrim's main theme.I recall "Be Prepared" containing some Tuvan thorat singing so i guess i don't have anything to say about it.

@Pulse Wave:that is another point;men's choir are only used for military songs.They should be used for, say, "horror-ish" songs, some of them being able to sing "low-end" notes.

@Navron:I was talking more about classical choir instead of tribal chants but why not...
TheSkullX2

Primary: Fl Studio 11
Cutie Mark: A burning conduct baton

Return to Music Discussion