Where does everyone else go?

This isn't a forum for specifically talking about production or posting your own music, but it is a place to talk about the music you are listening to.

Where does everyone else go?

Postby CitricAcid » 17 Feb 2014 13:06

I can't help but notice that every time I see an EqD music post, I see a bunch of different artist names that I don't see around MLR. I realize that we all consume our internet differently--I can't expect everyone to be here--but I imagine that we all feel the need to talk about music somewhere. Where do all the non-MLR musicians hang? Do they all just camp their YouTube pages and strike up conversations in comments? I ask, because I am in short supply of active online communities to partake in and could stand to join a few others.
Image Image Image
CitricAcid

Primary: Cubase
Cutie Mark: Music scroll

Re: Where does everyone else go?

Postby Facade » 17 Feb 2014 13:23

4chan reddit youtube etc
i think theres even another mlp forum for music ill google it
edit: mlpforums seems to have an active music section
https://facadeofages.bandcamp.com/album ... o-the-dark
Spoiler Quotes:
DerpyGrooves wrote:The secret to a good song has everything to do with the relationship of the verse and the chorus to one another

ONEHOODASSPONY wrote:Image
Facade

Primary: Fl11 + Lsdj
Cutie Mark: None

Postby JSynth » 17 Feb 2014 19:21

I would guess, that either people dont post on music forums, or they hang out on non-pony forums. I would personally love to see more artists posting every once in a while.
https://soundcloud.com/jasper-synth/back-at-me
Jokeblue wrote:You fool. You've doomed the Spam thread to yet another, inevitable :3 spam.

My Tumblr
My YouTube
My SoundCloud

DAW: Logic Pro 9
Plugins: Sylenth, Sausage Fattener, Komplete 9, NI The Mouth, Ozone 5, Bitspeek
JSynth

Primary: Logic 9
Cutie Mark: yo face

Postby Callenby » 17 Feb 2014 19:57

I think a lot (perhaps even most?) of the musicians aren't even aware of MLR's existence or only think of it as that place where the Remix War is hosted.
"Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist." - Pablo Picasso
Free online classes (including music) can be found here. Credit for my avatar goes to Lolo.

Tumblr / YouTube / Soundcloud
Callenby

Primary: Cubase 7.5
Cutie Mark: Double bass clef heart

Postby Injustrial » 17 Feb 2014 20:11

I used to think MLR was a remix forum myself. I got talked into joining by *someone I've forgotten* and realized I was wrong. Many musicians I talk to don't realize that MLR is a general musician forum or just isn't interested. Forums aren't for everyone. (I personally prefer FB groups, actually. But that's only because of the app nature of FB VS the forums that are almost impossible to read through on a phone)
Injustrial

Primary: FL Studio
Cutie Mark: Sh*t on Fire

Postby Freewave » 18 Feb 2014 12:24

Well the prominent musicians in the fandom likely hang together in smaller skype chats, keep track of each other on tumblr, or stick to one-on-ones and collaborations. When this fandom started a majority of the music scene's musicians were on here. They often participated in Toast Beards a lot of the time. A lot of that began dissolving at early as the beginning of 2012. As time passed on people just moved away from MLR, Toast Beard, Community Albums, Remix Wars, etc. I find that's a shame but many people in the fandom see MLR as a musical high school to graduate from and not a college to better your skills. Other (newer) musicians are likely not even aware of us or have no reason to join. In that way the thoughts of our scene and this forum as a "community hub" are not really the same anymore.

But we'll carrry on....MLP forums has a small place where people can spam their new tracks but there's no other "better" all round music forum for mlp musicians makers then here.
Links for my music: YouTube, Bandcamp, and Tumblr
Check out the Brony Music Directory and FimMusic. A portal for all pony music
Support the 20+ Musician Maressey Project currently underway.
Freewave

Primary: Fl Studio 10
Cutie Mark: X$X

Postby CitricAcid » 18 Feb 2014 13:10

Freewave wrote:Well the prominent musicians in the fandom likely hang together in smaller skype chats, keep track of each other on tumblr, or stick to one-on-ones and collaborations. When this fandom started a majority of the music scene's musicians were on here. They often participated in Toast Beards a lot of the time. A lot of that began dissolving at early as the beginning of 2012. As time passed on people just moved away from MLR, Toast Beard, Community Albums, Remix Wars, etc. I find that's a shame but many people in the fandom see MLR as a musical high school to graduate from and not a college to better your skills. Other (newer) musicians are likely not even aware of us or have no reason to join. In that way the thoughts of our scene and this forum as a "community hub" are not really the same anymore.

But we'll carrry on....MLP forums has a small place where people can spam their new tracks but there's no other "better" all round music forum for mlp musicians makers then here.

It sounds to me like MLR is still in a good position to be the central hub for pony music. I saw the section of MLP forums you mentioned, but track spam =/= community. A lot of newcomers, like myself, are probably unaware of the drama from a couple of years ago and as such are unbiased toward MLR; it's just a matter of letting them know it exists and inviting them in. The only reason I'm here is because you, Freewave, sent me a PM about it through YouTube. I'd never even heard of this place before. And if I had heard of it, I too would have discounted it, because it had the word "remix" in the title.

When is the next big event for generating traffic (Remix War, etc.)?
Image Image Image
CitricAcid

Primary: Cubase
Cutie Mark: Music scroll

Postby Conduit » 18 Feb 2014 15:41

I'd say that MLR is still the main hub for pony musicians, at least in terms of websites. I know I personally, along with quite a few other people are much more active in both the MLR public skype group and in private conversations. It's a lot easier to carry out conversations and receive feedback when a bunch of people see what you said instantly.
https://soundcloud.com/flatflish/a-warm-past

DAW: Logic 9
Vst's: Absynth, Battery, FM8, Guitar Rig, Kontakt, Massive, Maschine
Real Instruments: Acoustic/Electric Guitar, Cello, Piano

YoutubeSoundcloudTutors ThreadSkype: FlatflishImage
Conduit

Primary: Logic Pro 9
Cutie Mark: Strings

Postby Freewave » 18 Feb 2014 16:09

CitricAcid wrote:It sounds to me like MLR is still in a good position to be the central hub for pony music. I saw the section of MLP forums you mentioned, but track spam =/= community. A lot of newcomers, like myself, are probably unaware of the drama from a couple of years ago and as such are unbiased toward MLR; it's just a matter of letting them know it exists and inviting them in. The only reason I'm here is because you, Freewave, sent me a PM about it through YouTube. I'd never even heard of this place before. And if I had heard of it, I too would have discounted it, because it had the word "remix" in the title.

When is the next big event for generating traffic (Remix War, etc.)?

Well we should likely be the hub, although that's just empty words if new people aren't aware of the place and others choose to avoid it. I will say guys I started up FIMM to partially drum up renewed support for MLR and a sense of community for the music scene. It's really essential that we get more help to make that happen as the results really aren't impressive. Anyone wants to help out I'm always looking for volunteers.

Remix Wars and Balloon Party are the next BIG events that will be done from MLR but that won't be until Summer Break and after S4 ends. I'd love to not have to wait until then to start looking at what can be done.
Links for my music: YouTube, Bandcamp, and Tumblr
Check out the Brony Music Directory and FimMusic. A portal for all pony music
Support the 20+ Musician Maressey Project currently underway.
Freewave

Primary: Fl Studio 10
Cutie Mark: X$X

Postby ExoBassTix » 19 Feb 2014 05:08

Conduit wrote:It's a lot easier to carry out conversations and receive feedback when a bunch of people see what you said instantly.

I'm gonna go and say that this is pretty subjective, not objective. I, for one, believe that it depends on the size and activeness of the group of people that you're addressing.

For example, if it's a group with two messages per second, instant no-go for me. If it's a group with, say, 6 messages per minute or so, it'd be perfect indeed. It's easier to get noticed.
It's even easier to get noticed on a forum. Your message won't get lost in the flood as easily, and it'll be easier to find back.

@eery, except for the dislike on people wanting people to introduce themselves, I agree completely. Just wanted to say that.
Collecting dust...

Dieselminded drifter dodging delirium in daunting dreamscapes.
ExoBassTix

Primary: FL Studio 20
Cutie Mark: a crystal waterphone

Postby Pulse Wave » 19 Oct 2014 10:01

It's amazing to see who used to be an active user here just by looking through the first pages of the introduction thread. NotACleverPony, General Mumble, Interrobang Pie, Foozogz, And The Rainfall, Omnipony, I mean, some of these folks were at the musicians panel I'm currently watching (EFNW 2012) for Luna's sake! Well, yeah, they give shout-outs to Makkon who's not only still around but running this place, but then again, Makkon is a jack-of-all-trades who can do anything and then some.

However, to answer the original question: From what I've heard at the 2014 GalaCon's Traditional Musicians Panel, brony musicians who have, well, "grown out of MLR" or whatever or feel like this is musicians' magic kindergarten mostly hang around on Skype. Cannot verify this since I wouldn't touch Skype with a 10-foot pole.
Old brony, older than old school.
Gear list, Jabber ID: see my profile.
No FL Studio, no VSTs. No Skype, no YouTube.

Sounds fly through the night, I follow Vın̈yl Scratch to Pony Wonderland.
Pulse Wave

OS: For music, you mean? Debian Buster + bits and pieces of KXStudio.
Primary: Hardware synths and samplers and sequencing and effects and mixing all the way. Plus Qtractor.
Cutie Mark: Green 33% width pulse wave

Postby GhostXb » 16 Jan 2015 10:14

Here are some other places that I know of.

http://www.theflipsideforum.com/ - Where I first started off. Been a bit slow lately but they do regular contests and its a great place to talk about fl studio.

http://ocremix.org/ - I'd be surprised if you didn't know about this website. Aside from game remixes you can also post original music. If your music is good enough to get accepted into their directory then it's a good place to promote your music.

http://www.vi-control.net/forum/portal.php - The name says it all "Virtual Instruments Composers Forum". I don't know too much about this site but I've been meaning to check it out.

http://www.futureproducers.com/forums/ - I subscribe to their newsletter and they ussually have useful info, however, they seem to be a more rap/hip-hop oriented community, and from what I can tell from some browsing, there tends to be a lot of childish bickering going on, perhaps this needs more investigating...
GhostXb

Return to Music Discussion