House

This isn't a forum for specifically talking about production or posting your own music, but it is a place to talk about the music you are listening to.

House

Postby itroitnyah » 21 Jan 2014 17:50

Haven't seen this yet. For some reason the only genres that really get topics here are the really absurd ones, haha. For the most part, of course. EDIT2: Yes, all styles of house; big room, progressive, french, are all part of this thread.

4thImpulse recommended me towards rawrberry. fucking amazing. And he doesn't even have over 1k facebook likes or soundcloud follows.

I hope all of you know Kygo

Other than those two, I'm only just starting to get into house. But I'm loving what I'm hearing, so far.

EDIT: adding on more. God, I'm falling in love with this genre. It makes me tear at the eye.

Rabbit Killer makes some great stuff

And Farleon does as well
Last edited by itroitnyah on 22 Jan 2014 06:40, edited 1 time in total.
Image Image I am no longer an active member. here
My studio: [List of equipment]
itroitnyah

Primary: FL Studio 11
Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Re: House

Postby Facade » 21 Jan 2014 20:20

love these guys

the love bite - side by side:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XcXL5S7w-uo
https://facadeofages.bandcamp.com/album ... o-the-dark
Spoiler Quotes:
DerpyGrooves wrote:The secret to a good song has everything to do with the relationship of the verse and the chorus to one another

ONEHOODASSPONY wrote:Image
Facade

Primary: Fl11 + Lsdj
Cutie Mark: None

Postby ExoBassTix » 22 Jan 2014 03:45

Assuming that Big Room is a part of this thread (I suggest clearing that up), I can't help but feel like Trap and Tekstyle belong here too xD since they're becoming hauntingly similar.

Anyways, one of my only favorite Big Room House tracks (at least I believe it is):
Spoiler Baasik - Newk:

And two of my ever favorite House tracks:
Spoiler Archie - 20 Procent Cooler:

Spoiler Baauer - Harlem Shake -SoundRus Remix-:

I'll make some threads for sub-genres later.
Collecting dust...

Dieselminded drifter dodging delirium in daunting dreamscapes.
ExoBassTix

Primary: FL Studio 20
Cutie Mark: a crystal waterphone

Postby itroitnyah » 22 Jan 2014 06:40

Yes, they are. Edited original post to clarify this.
Image Image I am no longer an active member. here
My studio: [List of equipment]
itroitnyah

Primary: FL Studio 11

Postby ExoBassTix » 22 Jan 2014 06:45

All styles? That would make a mess.
What with Deep House and Jackin' House and all.
Collecting dust...

ExoBassTix

Postby Mr. Bigglesworth » 22 Jan 2014 08:35

Porter Robinson + Mato Zo - Easy is still my favorite House song. I'm not really that big on house otherwise.
I'm not here anymore, but if you want you can still just call me Mr. BigBagelBoggle!

Sound
Face
You
Mr. Bigglesworth

Primary: FL Studio
Cutie Mark: My own ass

Postby HMage » 22 Jan 2014 13:59

Lol you made Mat Zo's name sound Japanese xD

Love his trance tracks though.
HMage

Primary: Ableton

Postby ph00tbag » 01 Feb 2014 13:27

Spoiler The best house tune ever made:

Also, what with this thread being open to all styles of house music, this is going to get messy real quick.
ph00tbag
Global Moderator

Postby CaptainFluffatun » 01 Feb 2014 22:03

I hate how house has a million subgenres. It's stupid in my opinion.
CaptainFluffatun

Primary: Cubase 5
Cutie Mark: Orchestral

Postby ph00tbag » 02 Feb 2014 00:42

Most of the problem is that the genre's been around since the eighties, and even then was very loosely defined. It also doesn't help that "rave music" is not really a genre, so the mish-mash that was the late eighties all kinda wound up getting called "house."
ph00tbag
Global Moderator

Postby Mr. Bigglesworth » 02 Feb 2014 02:46

I kinda agree with Fluffaton on the level of ridiculously specific subgenres. But subgenres there are pretty obvious differences between are fine (it'd be confusing as hell if acid house and big room were considered the exact same thing). That's kinda why I find a lot of complaints about sungenres completely redundant. On the one hand, they can be far to specific to be useful, but on the other it's basically just extra context to find more songs of a similar style.
I'm not here anymore, but if you want you can still just call me Mr. BigBagelBoggle!

Sound
Face
You
Mr. Bigglesworth

Cutie Mark: My own ass

Postby Navron » 02 Feb 2014 14:15

I think house gets categorized and subdivided into so many subgenres because most forms of house lack any form of storytelling in the music. It's pure and simple club music. Good for putting on in your, "house," for parties so you have some background music without necessarily being distracting to the guests by having any complex musical structure that forces their attention away from socializing.
DAW: Cubase 6.5, Ableton Live 8
Preferred Genre: Industrial/Trance
Hardware: Schecter Diamond Series Bass, Yamaha Acoustic Guitar, BP355 Effects Pedal, Keystudio 49K Keyboard, Akai APC40, Korg nanoKEY2 25k Keyboard
Navron
Global Moderator

Primary: Cubase 6.5

Postby Stuntddude » 07 Apr 2014 07:08

I feel like it's diverged from that a lot in certain genres, though. Which only goes to further the confusion.
Notebook Memories, the debut album from yours truly, is currently up on my bandcamp for free. Any feedback, encouragement, hate mail, etc. is highly appreciated! Even just listening is pretty cool of you tbh.
eery wrote:Next gen gaming: Just fucking get a dog.
Stuntddude

Cutie Mark: { }

A music question.

Postby GunInYrFaic » 05 Jun 2014 03:43

I got question that might rustle some things a bit, but here I go anyway.

Do you think one of the main problems of progressive house is that they have a tendency to focus too much on melody and oversimplifying certain things like chords?
My name is Chase.

https://soundcloud.com/chasedotwav <- My Soundcloud.
GunInYrFaic

Primary: FL Studio 10

Re: A music question.

Postby eery » 05 Jun 2014 06:16

GunInYrFaic wrote:I got question that might rustle some things a bit, but here I go anyway.

Do you think one of the main problems of progressive house is that they have a tendency to focus too much on melody and oversimplifying certain things like chords?

Nah , not really.
Compare to a lot of drum and bass for instance, it ends up being more complex, and even if it isn't, more complex isnt neccecerally better. I think the focus on melody and like standard "dut-dut-dut|dut-dut-dut" vibe fits the genre (which admittedely I'm not too much of a fan of, really.)
eery
Global Moderator

Primary: Fruity tools 11
Cutie Mark: dank

Postby Freewave » 05 Jun 2014 09:10

Yeah House if one of the biggest genres because it's the essential EDM. I mean it's 120-130 which is a perfect tempo, it's 4/4 (but with variation), and can go deep or cheesy. It also predates trance, drum & bass, and even techno (which really barely exists anymore as a current genre tbf). Plus it just crossovers well with just about everything and can subgenre like no one's business. You throw it in one particular neck of the woods and it will turn out different then in another particular region.

https://rateyourmusic.com/list/TheScien ... et__house/

I guess at this point while i was into some of the Ibiza anthemed, and progressive, french, and speed garage of the late 90's i do really enjoy the deeper cuts such as the jazz-house and deep house that's linked there. House is so deep that you can just dig and dig for old tunes you never heard. A lot of those old cuts may sound a little dated but they also still hold up pretty well in their own way. Having a deep underground groove is something that's lost to a lot of current house and that's why you get stuff like trap that people are mentioning that has very little to really do with house (that's more coming over from a dubstep and bass music crossover tbh).

Here's something newER with a classic style and a great great spoken intro

Links for my music: YouTube, Bandcamp, and Tumblr
Check out the Brony Music Directory and FimMusic. A portal for all pony music
Support the 20+ Musician Maressey Project currently underway.
Freewave

Primary: Fl Studio 10
Cutie Mark: X$X

Postby ExoBassTix » 05 Jun 2014 09:24

Jazz-house? Do you mean stuff like this (this is a godlike DJ mix though, that remix of Lovin' U <3 )? Soulful House is the best.
I personally disagree that House is 120-130BPM haha.

And while I agree that it's a pain to find good new Techno nowadays, I'm gonna make a new topic for it anyways. Perhaps just to share the best of the genre and it's subs, of that which I have anyways.
Collecting dust...

ExoBassTix

Postby Freewave » 05 Jun 2014 09:54

ExoBassTix wrote:Jazz-house? Do you mean stuff like this (this is a godlike DJ mix though, that remix of Lovin' U <3 )? Soulful House is the best.
I personally disagree that House is 120-130BPM haha.

And while I agree that it's a pain to find good new Techno nowadays, I'm gonna make a new topic for it anyways. Perhaps just to share the best of the genre and it's subs, of that which I have anyways.

Jazz-House is like a small division of Deep House records with a strong nu-jazz feel. Stuff like this

What bpm would you classify house as? You get into the 130's and you start getting into trance territory although i guess hard house and newer (big room) may fall in that area. Blame FL studio for having their default bpm as 140 :razz:

Techno has a really long history too but i just haven't seen much talk of it in the last decade at all. It does deserve a thread for those who want to backtrack and see what it was all about.
Links for my music: YouTube, Bandcamp, and Tumblr
Check out the Brony Music Directory and FimMusic. A portal for all pony music
Support the 20+ Musician Maressey Project currently underway.
Freewave

Primary: Fl Studio 10
Cutie Mark: X$X

Re: A music question.

Postby GunInYrFaic » 05 Jun 2014 11:59

eery wrote:
GunInYrFaic wrote:I got question that might rustle some things a bit, but here I go anyway.

Nah , not really.
Compare to a lot of drum and bass for instance, it ends up being more complex, and even if it isn't, more complex isnt neccecerally better. I think the focus on melody and like standard "dut-dut-dut|dut-dut-dut" vibe fits the genre (which admittedely I'm not too much of a fan of, really.)

Well...the reason why I ask the question is...let's just say that a friend of mine complains a bit about "modern" house. It's been kinda grating on my nerves and I'm not really what to think of it. On one side, I love deadmau5. On the other, I really hate David Guetta.

P.S.: I think it's kinda justified why a lot of electronic fans hate big room house.
My name is Chase.

GunInYrFaic

Postby GunInYrFaic » 05 Jun 2014 12:03

Just to clarify...said friend doesn't complain about it that often.
My name is Chase.

GunInYrFaic

Return to Music Discussion