Trance Discussion

This isn't a forum for specifically talking about production or posting your own music, but it is a place to talk about the music you are listening to.

Re: Trance Discussion

Postby KoolKool93 » 20 Jan 2014 00:24

oh,i love this thread

i am a huge fan of trance music,i listen alots of stuff from 90s and dislike most stuffs nowadays,the modern trance in general is too house-ish (Progressive trance turn to be progressive house,hard trance -> influence of hard house,vocal trance so called "euro trance" is mostly crap at core)...of course, Uplifting Trance and Psy/Goa Trance still made big exception and i love both two this subgenre as well,they still show what trance really is...
- Uplifting is very emotion, strong and bright,catchy (Uplifting is always loud and containt alots of rich melodies) uplifting is favourite by alots of trance producers..yes! (I'm going to make uplifting trance...yay!! :)) )
- Psy/Goa is dark,hypnotic,fast and hard,take you to real rave and drug... (Isarel producers always make top-quality releases,tracks..they are good at this)
- Acid trance....oh i forgot....there are still many producer that produce trance track with acid melodies,bassline...but they are mostly hidden somwhere and you have to find them (soundcloud is example)..Psy has acid too,but acid trance alone make some little differences.
- Minimal trance....i don't listen this kind of trance often,but they are so damn slow and hard to understand!

trance is from europe - germany (original) ...as i know...right?!
even modern hardcore music has suffered big influence from trance (in 90s,happy hardcore is just speedy euro-dance)
if you don't like mainstream producers,artists like tiesto,armin,BT...then why don't make a switch to underground scene... (alots of quality tracks there)
KoolKool93

Primary: FL
Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Postby ExoBassTix » 22 Jan 2014 06:38

I love myself some Psy Trance too (not so much for Goa myself). Though recently I've found Progressive Psy Trance to be more fun to listen to (and that's like the only Progressive genre that I can differentiate between the non-Progressive genre). I still listen both.

My favorite Prog Psy Trance tracks at the moment:
[spoiler=Felguk - Do You Like Bass -Neelix Remix-][/spoiler]
Spoiler Vaishiyas - Touch Down:

By far my ever favorite non-Prog Psy Trance tracks:
Spoiler Atoned Splendor - The Wobble:

Spoiler Invisible Reality - Visibility -Loopstep Remix-:

Spoiler Astral Projection - Mahadeva -The Freak Show Remix-:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44bIjc1KChk[youtube]

The world that Visibility brings me to is so surreal, completely devoid of any distractions except for the sheer beauty of the soundscape (landscape sounds inappropriate) itself. A place where I have allthe freedom of a God with wings.

The Freak Show's remix of Mahadeva is, without ANY doubt, in my personal top 3 of all tracks ever. Technique-wise it's the most clever track I know. The sound design and structure of the track are entrancing and every bit perfect. The build-ups, releases and breakdowns have so much power.
Yeah, it's a big favorite.

EDIT - I forgot you can only have a maximum of 4 working spoilers in one post.
Last edited by ExoBassTix on 26 Jan 2014 04:22, edited 1 time in total.
Collecting dust...

Dieselminded drifter dodging delirium in daunting dreamscapes.
ExoBassTix

Primary: FL Studio 20
Cutie Mark: a crystal waterphone

Postby ph00tbag » 24 Jan 2014 17:25

I don't really consider Neelix to be prog, personally. If Electro Psy were a thing, that's what I'd label him. Prog Psy is more like Day.din or some of Astrix's later stuff. Granted, Psy's pretty damn nebulous, and there's kind of this three way gradient between Full-On, Morning, and Minimal. But if there's one thing that always stands out and makes a Psytrance tune not feel very Psytrance to me, it's that sidechain sustain bass, and Neelix really likes to pull that one out.

I just heard Aqualize - Land of 2 Suns the other day. Pretty fantastic tunage on this one:
Last edited by ph00tbag on 25 Jan 2014 18:30, edited 1 time in total.
ph00tbag
Global Moderator

Primary: FL Studio

Postby Coloriot » 25 Jan 2014 13:23

I think there are a lot of good trance musicians here in the fandom. A couple of my favorites include JayB, and Tuner Symphon (although I think he's now calling himself Choons).
Colorkek that makes computer noises.

What's my main genre? All of them.

[Youtube] [Soundcloud] [EQBeats] [Bandcamp] [Twitter]
Coloriot

Primary: Ableton Live 7
Cutie Mark: Mac Color Wheel of Doom

Postby JayB » 10 Feb 2014 09:44

Trance, hmm. My destiny. ^^

To me it all started with ATB's "No Silence" album. His track "Mysterious Skies" made my mind go click saying "This is the music that I want to do". Via the ATB forum I came across the music from the Anjunabeats label and then I got lost in trance. What I really loved about the Anjuna stuff was the use of droning bass lines and hypnotic melodies altogether with heavy sidechaining. That music was really fascinating me. It was progressive and uplifting at the same time, without the overuse of Supersaws.

At the moment my favorite artists (besides me, hehe) include Arty, ilan Bluestone, Jerome Isma-Ae, Dash Berlin, Nitrous Oxide and of course Above & Beyond. I have to admit that I was never really a huge fan of the Armin stuff. I love his mixes, but his productions were usually missing something for me.
YouTubeHomepage
DAW: Apple Logic Pro 9
Hardware gear: Yamaha AN1x, S80, PLG150-AN, QY100, Roland V-Synth XT, Korg X5D, Quasimidi Sirius, CME UF7
Audio Units: Lennar Digital Sylenth, LinPlug CronoX, Korg Legacy Collection Analog and more...
JayB

Primary: Apple Logic Pro 9
Cutie Mark: three crossed tuning forks

Postby Coloriot » 10 Feb 2014 13:40

Aaaaaaaand right after I mention jayb, he posts. I feel lucky today.
Colorkek that makes computer noises.

What's my main genre? All of them.

[Youtube] [Soundcloud] [EQBeats] [Bandcamp] [Twitter]
Coloriot

Primary: Ableton Live 7
Cutie Mark: Mac Color Wheel of Doom

Postby Injustrial » 10 Feb 2014 15:05

I really enjoy some trance, especially if it's of the more round and atmospheric Midnight variant. DJ Gestap is one of my all time favorite Brony Musicians, and a lot of it has to do with how much variation he's able to pull in his songs. Trance, and especially Psytrance, is almost like a study session in getting a lot out of a little. Both Vibe Tribe and Scorb are masters at this.

The interesting thing for me, is that a lot of elements found in Aggrotech are strongly influenced by Trance Music. Especially bands like Fractured and Ginger Snap5 are homing in more on the Trance genre, than the Industrial, making for some very interesting structures.

And dear God, I love this song:

Injustrial

Cutie Mark: Sh*t on Fire

Postby ph00tbag » 11 Apr 2014 12:29

Injustrial wrote:The interesting thing for me, is that a lot of elements found in Aggrotech are strongly influenced by Trance Music. Especially bands like Fractured and Ginger Snap5 are homing in more on the Trance genre, than the Industrial, making for some very interesting structures.

For what it's worth, Ishkur observes a lot of cross-pollination between Industrial genres and Trance genres in his Guide. I think EBM in particular had a lot to do with the development of Trance sounds.
ph00tbag
Global Moderator

Postby Freewave » 11 Apr 2014 14:27

Well Futurepop in particular does take take gothic and industrial music and adds a much more dance-friendly trance vibe to it. Apoptygma Berzerk especially are noteworthy as the 2000 track "Kathy's Song" was remixed by Ferry Corsten and was a rather big crossover trance anthem. A lot of "industrial" fans were put off with moving industrial even further away from EBM and into EDM territory but others liked that it was at least changing a bit and even more dance-friendly.
Links for my music: YouTube, Bandcamp, and Tumblr
Check out the Brony Music Directory and FimMusic. A portal for all pony music
Support the 20+ Musician Maressey Project currently underway.
Freewave

Primary: Fl Studio 10
Cutie Mark: X$X

Postby Captain Ironhelm » 15 Apr 2014 14:19

Don't want to make a whole new thread for this, but does anybody have some good recommendations for Psytrance that is melodic? As in the chord actually changes and progresses like a normal trance/progressive tune. I like the vibe and sound design, but listening to the same chord for 7 minutes straight gets old really fast.
Captain Ironhelm

Postby ph00tbag » 18 Apr 2014 09:02

It's actually all over the place in the Full-On Psy and Prog Psy varieties.

Check out these tunes:

Protoculture - Terra Tronics

Pixel & Wrecked Machines - R.P.N.G.C. (Silicon Sound Remix)

Astrix - Sex Style

That Aqualize track I posted also has a pretty involved chord progression. It's worth checking out, too.
ph00tbag
Global Moderator

Postby Captain Ironhelm » 18 Apr 2014 13:49

Hey thanks a lot! It's great to have direction when looking for something.
Captain Ironhelm

Previous

Return to Music Discussion