What's your favorite album ever, and why?

This isn't a forum for specifically talking about production or posting your own music, but it is a place to talk about the music you are listening to.

What's your favorite album ever, and why?

Postby CaptainFluffatun » 04 Jan 2014 19:55

I tried to search "favorite album" to see if a thread like this existed but the search terms were too common so buckle up because it's time for the best thread you've ever read ever.

As I stated in another thread, my favorite album is F♯A♯∞, by Godspeed You! Black Emperor. It's hard to place why it's my favorite album, and I guess that's a good thing - it has a special something I could never put into words. That said, I think it's beautiful. Each track is more of an experience than a song. I guess, if anything, this album just comes across as very honest. Lastly, and I know this is the most subjective point of all, it is very creative; The swells in the beginning of East Hastings are created by running a screwdriver along the strings of a guitar.

Anyhoo, I'd LOVE to hear your favorite albums, and maybe you could also tell us your favorite track from the album so we don't spend ten thousand years on this thread. My favorite track from the above album is Providence.
CaptainFluffatun

Primary: Cubase 5
Cutie Mark: Orchestral

Re: What's your favorite album ever, and why?

Postby SevenUpPony » 04 Jan 2014 20:31

Hmmm my favorite album of 2013 would probably be A Color Map Of The Sun by Pretty Lights, this one right here

First of all I'd like to thank my sister for actually introducing me to his music as it's helped me explore yet another genre, and as far as the album itself goes, it shows a combination of chill, funky, hiphop and electro. It truly is a unique piece of music and I encourage everyone to give it a listen. Who knows you might actually enjoy some it :)

Lastly, My favorite track from this album would have to be Color Of My Soul (it's just so chill and groovy)

(As far as favorite album ever goes.... Well that's the thing I find it pretty darn hard to choose just one c: )
https://soundcloud.com/sevenupp0n3/chasing-a-dream-before-time

"stoof"

DAW: FL Studio 10,11 [main], Ableton [meh], Cubase 5 [sorta]

VST's: Massive, Sylenth1, Zeta+2, Kontakt 5

Genres: DnB, House/Trance?,Ambient, Orchestral
SevenUpPony

Primary: FL Studio 12 Signature Bundle
Cutie Mark: Soda can

Postby Mr. Bigglesworth » 05 Jan 2014 02:11

I can't say for absolute sure, but I utterly love Fat Of The Land and Music For The Jilted Generation by The Prodigy. I don't really listen to whole albums that much :/
I'm not here anymore, but if you want you can still just call me Mr. BigBagelBoggle!

Sound
Face
You
Mr. Bigglesworth

Primary: FL Studio
Cutie Mark: My own ass

Postby Gray Ham » 05 Jan 2014 06:34

Only released last year, but these party vibes are incredible.

The Cat Empire - Steal The Light
currently on a hiatus from actively making music due to school

ImageImage
What's soaking wet and clueless?
Gray Ham

Primary: ACID
Cutie Mark: A Trumpet

Postby azerty » 05 Jan 2014 06:37

Hands down. Something for everyone in here, and it's just so ingenious and ahead of its time.
My YouTube (everything except music)
My SoundCloud
My Twitter @azertymusic (...wait, I have a Twitter?)

>>16555555
azerty

Primary: Ableton Live 8
Cutie Mark: The Shogun Audio symbol

Postby ClaviSound » 05 Jan 2014 13:00

I haven't listened to many albums outside of rap or pony-related stuff, so I'mma just stick to those.

Illmatic is the best debut rap album, ever. Period. End of sentence. It may take some time to digest because of the time displacement (it was released 1994), but it's one of the most talented rappers of the current breed killing the best beats he ever got. If you like boom bap 90's rap, this is about as good as it gets.

With the possible exception of The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill, this is the highest-quality, most consistent album ever done by a femcee. The reason why I'm recommending this one, though, is because I much prefer the old school beats. Oh yeah, and you know that song Eminem did called "Stan"? Yeah, the guy who made the backing track for that also produces a large chunk of this album. 45 King gets so little credit it's not even funny, when he was (and is) quite talented, so I'd recommend it.

I started listening to this album for Jeff Burgess. I ended listening to this album for Vinyl Scratch. This album is so good it's not even funny.

The last song made me cry. Very, very few songs can do that to me. Bravo, Jeff, for creating such a masterpiece.

EDIT: Oh yeah, favorite album ever, singular form. Um, can't really pick, I like all of these so damn much. Illmatic's my favorite rap album of the 90's, All Hail the Queen's my favorite rap album done by a femcee, and Autumn Nights is my favorite pony album.

Also, favorite tracks:

Illmatic - N.Y. State of Mind
All Hail the Queen - Queen of Royal Badness
Autumn Nights - If I Were You (feat. MEMJ0123)
aka Scott Hopkins aka Swerve Keystyle aka Equestrian Threat: https://www.youtube.com/c/EquestrianThreat

I can't type cursive, so I don't know what's supposed to go in my signature.

Don't quote me.
ClaviSound

Primary: Audacity cuz sweg, Ableton
Cutie Mark: N/A

Postby inkythoughts » 07 Jan 2014 09:06

Mine would be In The Aeroplane Over The Sea by Neutrual Milk Hotel.
It pretty subjective a choice though- the friend who got me into playing guitar was a lover of angsty hipster music, and while on a camping trip she busted out what became known on the grounds as "The Jesus Song" It was the strangest thing, and asked her to teach me. That was how I learned to play bar chords. Afterwards, I bought the album on a whim.
I didn't like most of the music on it then, as it was too different from the highly polished music I grew up on.
Anyway, "The Jesus Song" was part two of three, and when my friend played part one, it sounded pretty cool, so I got her to teach me that. Next thing I knew, I was playing the album from start to finish on the car, and all of the songs seemed to fit together, the end of one blending into the next...

It's been a few years now, and while it's probably not the best album ever, it always brings a smile to me- and, more often then not, a guitar as well.
inkythoughts

Primary: Audacity
Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Postby azerty » 07 Jan 2014 10:32

inkythoughts wrote:Mine would be In The Aeroplane Over The Sea by Neutrual Milk Hotel.
Ah, who could forget the classic The King of Carrot Flowers, Parts 2 & 3, a.k.a. I LOVE YOU JESUS CHRIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIST

Actually a great album, though, once you get past all the ridiculous themes and hipsterness.
My YouTube (everything except music)
My SoundCloud
My Twitter @azertymusic (...wait, I have a Twitter?)

>>16555555
azerty

Primary: Ableton Live 8
Cutie Mark: The Shogun Audio symbol

Postby Freewave » 09 Jan 2014 14:17

azerty wrote:

Hands down. Something for everyone in here, and it's just so ingenious and ahead of its time.

Yeak Ok Computer would still be at the top of my list. It's just so dense and perfect. Loveless, Post, Dummy, Abbey Road, Give Up, Houses of the Holy, Violator, and even Viva La Vida would be in my other top spots too.
Links for my music: YouTube, Bandcamp, and Tumblr
Check out the Brony Music Directory and FimMusic. A portal for all pony music
Support the 20+ Musician Maressey Project currently underway.
Freewave

Primary: Fl Studio 10
Cutie Mark: X$X

Postby FLAOFEI » 09 Jan 2014 16:07

Wow... I have so many!

Let's start with Futret's Bangin Ginga Midi Monogatari
Fav track is Monsterfucker, though I prefer the soundcloud version cause the super grime, disgustingly gritty synth isn't layered in the begining, so it's just that much scarier.
I love that album for its insane energy all the way through, but still so diverse. It's what I loved the most about Futrets music, it's a clusterfuck of everything, and it's got melodies... oh god those melodies... those everything... My vocabulary is not enough!

Then we got the Metal/Breakecore/Baroque album Hallelujah by Igorrr
It's hard to decide between this one and Nostril, cause Nostril has a few songs that are individually better than the tracks on Hallelujah imo... Double Monk is very hard to beat, as is Half A Pony, and Tendon can not be ignored!
But I'm gonna have to go with Hallelujah, cause I love every song so much.
Fav track though... I love them all :I The breakbeat in Damaged Wig is awesome...
Absolute Psalm is the most insanely brutal thing ever, srsly, it will reignite your phobia of vacuum cleaners! And I think that's a metal clarinet solo :O Could be saxophone, Idk, I still die every time
Breakbeats in Cicadidae are even better.
VEGETABLE SOUP HAS A CHICKEN SOLO!!! Who dose that? As if it wasn't good enough already!
Grosse Barbe translates to large beard, and THAT SEXY MANLY VOICE OMG!!! If I have ever loved a voice that has to be it!
And Scarletti 2.0 ends with wubs that makes most Dubstep sound like a kittens :O Srsly, that shit might be the most well orchestrated, hardest, darkest track I have ever heard!

It's worth listening to just cause the mastering is so good!

I should stop here before I decide to write a propper review for each track...
)>-<)))^*> Sharkpon4srs
https://soundcloud.com/flaofei/brothel-king
Rainbow Dash lives on SOUNDCLOUD; Big Mac posts on Eeyyuptube; Twilight is a BOOKfACE; Octavia went to BandCamp! And Derpy has bad balance, you could say she TUMBLrING
ImageOMG POLKA PLOT!!! BEST ALBUM IN THE HISTORY OF POLKACORE!!!
FLAOFEI

Primary: Fruit Loops 10
Cutie Mark: POLKA PLOT

Postby Acsii » 20 Jan 2014 16:51

Pink Floyd - The Wall.
Need I say more?
20 something Transgirl that makes sounds called music
Soundcloud | Facebook | Bandcamp | Blog
Placing my tongue on the GR meter to taste the gain reduction I some how improved my skills.
Acsii

Primary: Logic Pro X
Cutie Mark: Old round oscilloscope

Postby Facade » 20 Jan 2014 18:03

the quick brown fox wanderlust

so many feels and emotions from that album i love it
https://facadeofages.bandcamp.com/album ... o-the-dark
Spoiler Quotes:
DerpyGrooves wrote:The secret to a good song has everything to do with the relationship of the verse and the chorus to one another

ONEHOODASSPONY wrote:Image
Facade

Primary: Fl11 + Lsdj
Cutie Mark: None

Postby ganondox » 21 Jan 2014 13:57

Tarby's E.S.C.A.P.E., at least in part for sentimental reasons, but it's just a great industrial/prog rock/metal album as well with a lot of variety across it, and full of emotion.
ganondox

Primary: Garage Band :P
Cutie Mark: Σ

Postby Fimbulin » 21 Jan 2014 15:10

My favorite album of last year was "For Now I Am Winter" by Ólafur Arnalds. It's a haunting mix of classical stylized orchestra with unique synthwork and modern percussive sounds and singing. It's a great neo-classical album to listen all the way through. There is quite a bit of imagery and word painting going on with the lyrics and music itself. Look into getting the album. It's quite good.
Analytical music theorist!
http://www.youtube.com/fimbulinmusic
http://www.soundcloud.com/fimbulin

FL Studio, Kontakt 5, orchestral mostly. I buy my gear.
I haunt skype so ask me questions there or viewtopic.php?f=32&t=8502
Fimbulin

Postby Crash » 24 Jan 2014 16:20

Anything from The Velvet Chameleon, I think, is great, but I/O really stands out to me as the first album I listened to on repeat multiple times. There's something amazing about it that I can't really explain.
I'd like to apologize for all the absolutely stupid threads I've made in 2013/2014.
Crash

Primary: FL Studio 8
Cutie Mark: Infinite reverb pedals

Return to Music Discussion