Industrial discussion thread -

This isn't a forum for specifically talking about production or posting your own music, but it is a place to talk about the music you are listening to.

Re: Industrial discussion thread -

Postby Freewave » 04 Jan 2014 16:22

Personally I'm a big fan of industrial music being a large scary looking Adams type Family where there's a lot of departures from where it began (seen in their kids) but it ends up being diverse and happy family tree and people enjoy how its evolved from its original state and got much bigger.

There are some people who see industrial as a very specific thing (where it started from) and all these variations into more popular evolutions (Industrial Rock and EBM) as "ruining" the genre or using the wrong names. VERY similar to Brostep / Dubstep arguments we are always hearing about. I particularily don't feel bad calling bands like Front 242, Ministry, NIN, Front Line Assembly, and Nitzer Ebb "Industrial" even if they are miles different from where it started (the first wave)with experimental bands like Nurse With Wound, Cabaret Voltiare, and Throbbing Gristle. I personally like how Industrial became dark and dangerous dance music rather then just experimental noise.

Then again when some of that energy evolved into trance meets gothic of Futurepop which tookover i could see how irritating it could be by lumping it all in the same name too. :lol:
Links for my music: YouTube, Bandcamp, and Tumblr
Check out the Brony Music Directory and FimMusic. A portal for all pony music
Support the 20+ Musician Maressey Project currently underway.
Freewave

Primary: Fl Studio 10
Cutie Mark: X$X

Postby ExoBassTix » 04 Jan 2014 16:50

I found some Ritual Industrial/Ambient stuff.
Never again -_-

Oh, would you accept Industrial Hardcore in this thread, or should I create a Hardcore thread that allows for Industrial Hardcore too? :P
Collecting dust...

Dieselminded drifter dodging delirium in daunting dreamscapes.
ExoBassTix

Primary: FL Studio 20
Cutie Mark: a crystal waterphone

Postby Freewave » 04 Jan 2014 17:01

Definitely could include it here if you want. Not against a Hardcore/Breakbeat thread....
Freewave

Postby ExoBassTix » 05 Jan 2014 16:07

Okay then.
Should I go with Freewave or Kyoga...

Eh I'll go for Freewave :U
I'll make a new Hardcore and co thread tomorrow. (Well I myself think it fits best in a *core thread rather than an Industrial thread.)

I'll also see if I can get links to some Ritual Industrial tomorrow to put here. Hopefully it won't get me banned xD
Collecting dust...

ExoBassTix

Postby ChocolateChicken » 06 Jan 2014 04:11

Industrial rock songs/bands typically get the "progressive rock" label from distributors and consumers alike, and I don't think I'm even sure of what's industrial or simply "progressive" anymore! I think bands like Muse and Porcupine Tree would be considered progressive rock while bands like Godspeed You Black Emperor and film composer John Murphy would be considered industrial musicians.
ChocolateChicken

Primary: Logic Pro
Cutie Mark: Blank Flank

Postby Injustrial » 06 Jan 2014 06:01

Oh yes, this is my thread!

I'm a big fan of the dark and gritty feel that's present in most industrial music and their subgenres. Though I prefer the dancy tunes of EBM and Aggrotech, a lot of the thump and noise from bands such as Xotox and Phosgore get my blood boiling.

Favorites within the genre are by far X-RX, Grendel, Suicide Commando, Nachtmahr and early Aesthetic Perfection. All of which I've had the pleasure to see perform live. (Even got pulled up on stage to dance with FGFC820, which was too awesome to describe)

Guilty pleasure: Deathstars. The Swedish "Industrial Metal" band which is more glamrock than anything else. It's cheesy, overproduced and commercial as all hell. But I like them XD
Injustrial

Primary: FL Studio
Cutie Mark: Sh*t on Fire

Postby ganondox » 10 Jan 2014 12:57

Can't say I'm a big fan of general industrial music, like it more than most electronic music in the least, but I love Industrial Metal/Rock.
ganondox

Primary: Garage Band :P
Cutie Mark: Σ

Postby Freewave » 10 Jan 2014 13:11

These would be my favorite singles and albums from mostly the 90's. Again not the first wave stuff and not "industrial" by the strict guidelines (lotta electro industrial and industrial rock/metal).
Freewave

Postby Freewave » 21 Feb 2014 21:56

Put together a list of the industrial musicians from around the community here:
http://fimmusic.tumblr.com/post/7742534 ... -combat-by

Hopefully didn't miss anyone....
Freewave

Postby ganondox » 22 Feb 2014 06:41

Freewave wrote:Put together a list of the industrial musicians from around the community here:

The only person I think you missed is the rather obscure Achehole, who does a very raw, oldschool form of Industrial Rock. standly in start contrast to the more polished form of NIN.

Ghelded Kultz also made a single industrial/noise song which is probably our most infamous work, but I don't think it's really worth mentioning.

Anyway, can you try to make a progressive rock one? HeyLasFas, Tarby, After the Rainfall, and CrazyOatmeal would probably be the best place to start, can't think of anyone else at the second.
ganondox

Postby 3ternal » 22 Feb 2014 07:06

Freewave wrote:Put together a list of the industrial musicians from around the community here:

I'm a little surprised that you mentioned me, considering I'm kind of a nobody. But hey, I'm not complaining at all. Thanks :)
My Youtube My Soundcloud
My name's Vivian, and I make music with no educational value whatsoever.
DAW: Ableton Live 9
VSTs: NI Massive, Kontakt,
Genres: Stuff your parents wouldn't like
eery wrote:fuck you and your big e.
3ternal

Primary: Ableton Live 9
Cutie Mark: Literally just Static

Postby Freewave » 22 Feb 2014 08:17

3ternal wrote:

I'm a little surprised that you mentioned me, considering I'm kind of a nobody. But hey, I'm not complaining at all. Thanks :)

Well i think that's the point. This is a very niche part of the fandom and if people don't take notice and invest some attention it won't grow. PS sorry we didnt mention you were female initially but we edited that really quickly. Also add Achehole in there.

Would love to do prog/post-rock spotlight although we slightly covered the latter already. I'm assuming Cherax is another we might add to that list?
Freewave

Postby Injustrial » 22 Feb 2014 09:04

Very nice article, I'm going to have to check out some of these guys now
Injustrial

Primary: FL Studio
Cutie Mark: Sh*t on Fire

Postby ExoBassTix » 22 Feb 2014 11:41

Freewave, you wrote Acehole tinstead of Achehole :P
And you wrote #3eternal instead of #3ternal (tag)
Collecting dust...

ExoBassTix

Postby ganondox » 22 Feb 2014 11:45

Freewave wrote:
3ternal wrote:

Well i think that's the point. This is a very niche part of the fandom and if people don't take notice and invest some attention it won't grow. PS sorry we didnt mention you were female initially but we edited that really quickly. Also add Achehole in there.

Would love to do prog/post-rock spotlight although we slightly covered the latter already. I'm assuming Cherax is another we might add to that list?

This is a bit finicky, but I haven't heard any metal in any of Acheholes songs, more of a punk base, it's traditional industrial rock like the Swans. Well I think there was some metal on some of his other songs, but not on either of those songs, closest thing to metal being some of the drum work on Lovebug.

Oh, can I have a link to the post-rock thing? As for Cherax, I've heard of him, but I haven't actually heard any of his music, so I need to go do that.
ganondox

Postby Freewave » 22 Feb 2014 12:24

The post-rock thing we did was post-rock mostly as a non-brony thing thing but we mentioned a few in here (Cherax Destructor, And the Rainfall, Derpidety, and Kreuhn Pony).
http://fimmusic.tumblr.com/post/7530610 ... t-to-do-an
Would likely be a bit more specific about their tracks if we do a prog/post-rock highlight.

Fixed those errors. Thanks all.
Freewave

Postby ganondox » 23 Feb 2014 02:26

Freewave wrote:The post-rock thing we did was post-rock mostly as a non-brony thing thing but we mentioned a few in here (Cherax Destructor, And the Rainfall, Derpidety, and Kreuhn Pony).
http://fimmusic.tumblr.com/post/7530610 ... t-to-do-an
Would likely be a bit more specific about their tracks if we do a prog/post-rock highlight.

Fixed those errors. Thanks all.

Nice article. Well, if you are going to lump post-rock in with prog rock might as well through in prog metal as well. Afterall, Tarby and HeyLasFas don't have any post-rock as far as I know (well I think Tarby has a post-rock song or two on his sound cloud), but are definitely known for progressive rock. I included After The Rainfall because his IDM/Rock fusion goes into prog territory at times, not sure about Cherax. Kreuhn Pony could also be listed, but I wouldn't list Derpidety with prog rock.

And since this is an industrial thread, not a prog one, have some wumpscut.

Oh, and you listed the wrong name for the first Tarby song that is linked.
ganondox

Postby Navron » 23 Feb 2014 18:17

I'm often disappointed whenever I search for industrial, because industrial to me is any genre that uses sound design, samples, or percussive effects to create a structured, "factory," type atmosphere. More often than not, the majority of industrial I find doesn't have any kind of industry type of vibe to it. Instead, it seems like the type of sound I consider industrial is what others call steampunk, cyberpunk, etc.

I don't really consider industrial a genre as much as I consider it a style that can be applied to a wide variety of genres. For example, here are some songs that I would consider industrial:
Spoiler Industrial Sounding Songs:
A game soundtrack, but uses a lot of factory-like sounds, especially in the intro:

A dubstep track, but very heavy with the ambiance and machinery:

I think NIN is correctly classified:

A good example of background drone and mechanical rhythm:
DAW: Cubase 6.5, Ableton Live 8
Preferred Genre: Industrial/Trance
Hardware: Schecter Diamond Series Bass, Yamaha Acoustic Guitar, BP355 Effects Pedal, Keystudio 49K Keyboard, Akai APC40, Korg nanoKEY2 25k Keyboard
Navron
Global Moderator

Primary: Cubase 6.5

Postby Freewave » 24 Feb 2014 14:57

ganondox wrote:And since this is an industrial thread, not a prog one, have some wumpscut.

Sorry any additional recommendations (would love some) have been moved to here for prog and post-rock.
Freewave

Postby ganondox » 25 Feb 2014 23:49

Navron wrote:I'm often disappointed whenever I search for industrial, because industrial to me is any genre that uses sound design, samples, or percussive effects to create a structured, "factory," type atmosphere. More often than not, the majority of industrial I find doesn't have any kind of industry type of vibe to it. Instead, it seems like the type of sound I consider industrial is what others call steampunk, cyberpunk, etc.

I don't really consider industrial a genre as much as I consider it a style that can be applied to a wide variety of genres. For example, here are some songs that I would consider industrial:
Spoiler Industrial Sounding Songs:
A game soundtrack, but uses a lot of factory-like sounds, especially in the intro:

A dubstep track, but very heavy with the ambiance and machinery:

I think NIN is correctly classified:

A good example of background drone and mechanical rhythm:

Well, does rock sound anything like people banging rocks together? Industrial is named after the record label most industrial music started on, and it was so named because it's philosophy was that it was the music of the industrial age, abandoning the agricultural blues roots of rock music.
ganondox

Postby Navron » 26 Feb 2014 02:00

Nah I sort of understand its roots. Just saying there's a disconnect from what you think a genre will sound like, and what it really sounds like.

It'd be like if ambient was comprised of jazz flute.

Some genres are made up words. Others are based on actual words. The latter gets exceptionally confusing when the genre doesn't follow the atmosphere you commonly envision with those words. As a result, I've noticed there's 2 industrial genres. One that's rooted by the original label, and one that's based around the timbre.
DAW: Cubase 6.5, Ableton Live 8
Preferred Genre: Industrial/Trance
Hardware: Schecter Diamond Series Bass, Yamaha Acoustic Guitar, BP355 Effects Pedal, Keystudio 49K Keyboard, Akai APC40, Korg nanoKEY2 25k Keyboard
Navron
Global Moderator

Primary: Cubase 6.5

Postby ExoBassTix » 02 Mar 2014 10:38

I do think this fits more in a Techno topic (which I might make later) than in an Industrial topic, but I guess it still fits.

Just had to share this Industrial Techno track. I enjoy it so much.

The rest of the album is very good too. Even contains an Ambient piece (the rest is all Industrial Techno).
Collecting dust...

ExoBassTix

Postby Viricide Filly » 08 Mar 2014 06:29

http://nadja.bandcamp.com/album/queller

I'm not sure if this can be considered pure industrial, being a combination of drone, industrial, doom metal etc, but I recently found it and it's awesome.
Beyond all the random stuff I find on bandcamp, the only industrial music I really listen to is Nine inch Nails (And Justy bcuz ur a sweg)
We breakfast is e

House. Glitch Hop. IDM. Breakbeat. Chillout. Footwork. Lo-fi. Vaporwave. Noise. These are some of the genres I like to completely ruin.
Viricide Filly

Primary: Hula Hoops
Cutie Mark: electric!1!11!

Return to Music Discussion