Neo-Classicism

This isn't a forum for specifically talking about production or posting your own music, but it is a place to talk about the music you are listening to.

Neo-Classicism

Postby Injustrial » 13 Dec 2013 15:16

I'm a big big BIG fan of Neo-classicism as a genre. I find it soothing and wonderful to listen to, in the same way as I love a lot of the classic symphonies and pieces from yore, but now I get new music in the same style! It's the best of both worlds, IMO.

Anyone want to discuss the topic with me?

Injustrial

Primary: FL Studio
Cutie Mark: Sh*t on Fire

Re: Neo-Classicism

Postby CitricAcid » 13 Dec 2013 16:55

I implicitly enjoy neo-classicism, since I listen to a lot of movie soundtracks. I don't really have any further insight into the genre, though. At some point I should try writing a more downtempo piece like the one you posted. It would give me a break from all the complicated orchestrations that take me way too long to write.
Image Image Image
CitricAcid

Primary: Cubase
Cutie Mark: Music scroll

Postby azerty » 13 Dec 2013 17:15

I love this stuff; being a pianist with classical experience, I appreciate all the genius that goes into writing a solid performance-worthy piece, yet at the same time, I enjoy how the modernist twist of the style lets it break free from the norms and constraints of classical styles. It's ingenuity mixed with tradition; the old meets the new. I've always had a passion for classical music of all eras, but the freedom of expression found in Neo-Classicism and other derivative modern genres is my favourite.
My YouTube (everything except music)
My SoundCloud
My Twitter @azertymusic (...wait, I have a Twitter?)

>>16555555
azerty

Primary: Ableton Live 8
Cutie Mark: The Shogun Audio symbol

Postby topitmunkeydog » 13 Dec 2013 18:34

Interesting that you mention Ludovico because I don't really think of him as neo-classical (but that is because I am thinking of classical music as the specific period, not the genre) but if we are talking about it in that sense then yeah I love that stuff. Especially Olafur Arnalds who is a really great composer. And then I like a lot of "contemporary" classical like Phil Glass (look I made a pun on his name get it, fill glass? hahaha) and Conni Ellisor.
topitmunkeydog

Primary: (trying to learn) ableton
Cutie Mark: yes

Postby Conduit » 13 Dec 2013 20:30

I'm was a huge fan of Neo-classical guitar back when I was really into the metal/rock scene. I still love the melodies of it, as well as most film score stuff, though I'm not sure how much of that really has classical roots.
https://soundcloud.com/flatflish/a-warm-past

DAW: Logic 9
Vst's: Absynth, Battery, FM8, Guitar Rig, Kontakt, Massive, Maschine
Real Instruments: Acoustic/Electric Guitar, Cello, Piano

YoutubeSoundcloudTutors ThreadSkype: FlatflishImage
Conduit

Primary: Logic Pro 9
Cutie Mark: Strings

Postby Injustrial » 13 Dec 2013 21:10

I think it's really interesting to see how these people are able to analyze what was done before and recreate the feel, while still bringing something new to the table. And Ludovico is by far one of my favorites. The way he creates these incredibly delicate pieces, and adding just enough backing instruments to let his piano shine is amazing.

It's almost like cooking. Recognize what you want to be the main component and create everything around to support it
Injustrial

Primary: FL Studio
Cutie Mark: Sh*t on Fire

Postby Mijka » 15 Jan 2014 03:52

I found some brony neo-classical (i guess they are ?) songs, maybe it's helpful :

Spoiler 6 different songs on YT:

Mijka

Primary: Just horrible Audacity for podcasts.
Cutie Mark: No CM, i'm a griffon, silly !

Return to Music Discussion