Freewave's Genre of The Day Exploration

This isn't a forum for specifically talking about production or posting your own music, but it is a place to talk about the music you are listening to.

Re: Freewave's Genre of The Day Exploration

Postby ghelded_kultz » 19 Jan 2013 10:42

I love shoegaze and am actually working on a shoegaze inspired song.

Anyway, a good point for entering shoegaze is "Loveless" by My Bloody Valentine (It's a cliché answer, but a great album all the same), especially since My Bloody Valentine is releasing a new album this year (it's been about 2 decades since their last one). From the first wave of shoegaze I also like Slowdive quite a bit. From the newer waves, Depreciation Guild combines a nu-gazey sound with chiptunes, which is pretty awesome and today I discovered Cold Body Radiation which is some sort of blackened shoegaze (blackgaze) band. Just some bands I like from the genre.
"Wherever we are, what we hear is mostly noise. When we ignore it, it disturbs us. When we listen to it, we find it fascinating." - John Cage

Trolls and makers of bad music, thats us!
http://soundcloud.com/ghelded-kultz/tracks
ghelded_kultz

Postby topitmunkeydog » 19 Jan 2013 15:57

Wow, I never knew My Bloody Valentine was shoegaze! Probably because I always got them confused with Bullet for my Valentine lolol.

Speaking of which, you should do a segment on Screamo music just for the lolz
topitmunkeydog

Primary: (trying to learn) ableton
Cutie Mark: yes

Postby TheMalenEst » 19 Jan 2013 16:15

I really enjoy reading these. You should do Electro Swing or Space disco later on ;)
My Soundcloud for my Wip's and Previews, but also full songs.
My YouTube Come by and listen to my music :3 Maybe you find something you like.
Deviantart Abstract Art

shingeki no kyojin is best anime/manga
TheMalenEst

Primary: FL Studio 10, Logic
Cutie Mark: AnjunaLogo

Postby Nine Volt » 19 Jan 2013 18:34

Disco... in SPAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACE!
Nine Volt

Postby ghelded_kultz » 19 Jan 2013 23:52

topitmunkeydog wrote:Wow, I never knew My Bloody Valentine was shoegaze! Probably because I always got them confused with Bullet for my Valentine lolol.

Speaking of which, you should do a segment on Screamo music just for the lolz

No, My Bloody Valentine is not shoegaze, shoegaze is My Bloody Valentine :D

But seriously, I used to get the two bands mixed up too, back when my only experience with shoegaze was Sloshy and I had no clue what metalcore was.

And screamo would actually be a good one because that it another term that gets thrown around so much with much understanding of what it means. Sort of like techno. It seems that a lot of people think that screamo is anything with harsh vocals, just like so many people think that all electronic music is techno.
"Wherever we are, what we hear is mostly noise. When we ignore it, it disturbs us. When we listen to it, we find it fascinating." - John Cage

ghelded_kultz

Postby Freewave » 21 Jan 2013 09:43

Just at my hotel in Arizona, I'd be glad to do shoegaze when I get back to town. One of my fav genres!
Links for my music: YouTube, Bandcamp, and Tumblr
Check out the Brony Music Directory and FimMusic. A portal for all pony music
Support the 20+ Musician Maressey Project currently underway.
Freewave

Primary: Fl Studio 10
Cutie Mark: X$X

Postby Freewave » 23 Jan 2013 15:50

Ok as requested

Shoegaze

Shoegaze is a subgenre of alternative rock that emerged from the United Kingdom in the late 1980s. As part of an original scene it lasted until the mid 1990s with a critical zenith reached in 1990 and 1991. The British music press—particularly NME and Melody Maker—named this style Shoegazing (although Melody Maker also termed it "the scene that celebrates itself") because the musicians in these bands maintained a motionless persona during live performances, standing on stage while concentrating at their effects pedals or the floor; hence the idea that they were gazing at their shoes. The shoegazing sound is typified by significant use of distorted and reverbed guitar effects as well as burried vocal melodies. A common formula of the sound has been noted by the influences of the Noise Pop of JAMC's Psychocandy mixed with the Dream Pop of Cocteau Twins (and other influences such as Space Rock and Indie Pop) to produce a sound that incorporates a wall of distortion but with a dreamy quality. Shoegaze never achieved much popularity or media attention during it's key years and suffered a backlash in 1992 and was quickly overshadowed by Grunge and Britpop's success. Yet it has become a very resilient genre with a whole new batch of devoted fans and several decades of further bands who have both mirrored the classic sounds as well as developing them in new ways.

Full list

Notable Tracks:

Ride- Dreams Burn Down from Nowhere (1990)

"Ride made ‘noise’ palatable to me where JAMC and MBV had failed. Sure I’d kinda liked those other ‘cooler’ bands but I hadn’t loved them. Ride I loved and I wasn’t the only one. They had better tunes, better cheekbones and perfect hair. They were everything I wanted to be and Taste almost broke the Top 10, which back then was quite extraordinary. And while we were still enthralled to Ride, Slowdive overlapped these releases with a clutch of similar yet different EP’s which were just as engaging. Then, Chaperhouse – then, as I remember it – all hell broke loose and there were 1,000′s of bands all trying to do what Ride/Slowdive did."~archivedmusicpress

Chapterhouse - "Breather" from Whirlpool (1991)"

Chapterhouse twisted the game by introducing 'danceable' beats to their shoegaze. The dreamy, underproduced vocals and the walls of guitar are there. This is STILL a very enjoyable album, dogged by filler. There are nonetheless amazing songs - the opener "Breather" is an outstanding rocker of a track, and the singles "Pearl" & "Falling Down" prove why people got interested in Chapterhouse in the first place."~Spiritualized

My Bloody Valentine - Only Shallow from Loveless (1991)

"The album starts off with "Only Shallow," which in my opinion rivals "Smells Like Teen Spirit" as the greatest TRACK ONE of the 90's. From there, the album is filled with murky canyons of singing angels and shrieking devils, twisting their voices over thousands of inversions of slithering chords. The tremolo effect they use always works to greatest (especially on the nasty-posing-as-lovely "To Here Knows When," bending notes from the bottom of a swamp only to bubble up to the surface. I would give you a sample of the lyrics, but I can't, because I can't understand a single word on this album. Kevin Shields production is so immaculately layered that vocals of Bilinda Butcher and himself become the sounds of soft gauze, and the words just become hummable, another wonderful instrument."~yerblues

"I think that ironically shoegaze was killed by MBV Loveless, because it was assumed that shoegaze couldn´t go further than that and in comparison with Loveless the other shoegaze bands seemed tame and timid, and there was a massive backlash against the genre in 1992."~fery

Catherine Wheel - Black Metallic from Ferment (1992)

One of the few big hits of the genre. Epic. Catherine Wheel continued to dominate the rockier side of the genre.

"At times it tries not to be shoegaze and veers more towards standard rock, but it always comes back to those pedals on the guitars. But in the case of Ferment, Catherine Wheel use the pedals to layer the sound much more around the melody rather than attempting to obscure it. Tracks such as “I Want to Touch You” and “Indigo is Blue” are among those which will slowly but surely drag you into the layers of swirling guitars, which are the hallmark of this album. But in the end, it all comes back to one track. If there is one track which stands head and shoulders above any other produced by any shoegaze band it is “Black Metallic”. A track so sublime that it almost defies description, the hook line is unusually distinctive. Layer upon layer of shimmering guitars reel across the room as the track thunders out power and precision, beauty and seemingly ethereal perfection. If you get the album for no other reason than this, you will have to get it for “Black Metallic” alone."~cherryeater

Slowdive - When the Sun Hits from Souvlaki (1993)

One the best albums of the genre and equally involved with Dream Pop.

"The jump-start, up-front swirls of "Alison" kick off what I consider the album that defined a movement - the best and most complete statement made by the shoegazers. Some may stop me there and remind me of Loveless, but I haven't forgotten. In my humble opinion, Souvlaki is the album everyone claims that Loveless is. Souvlaki reads like a photobook, with bits and pieces and snapshots lying out. One of the pitfalls over shoegazing outfits fell into was burying the song underneath the noise. Here, we see very little of that. On the most brilliant point on the album, "When the Sun Hits", they combine every weapon in their arsenal to create the perfect song. While it's a good piece of melody, "When the Sun Hits" pummels its listener with dark, haunting guitars that synchronize and then then dive into all directions. The song is untreated enough not to be overproduced but still leaves the listener wanting more. It's an unrecognized gem in the canon of British underground rock, and it shouldn't be ignored. It's essential to all who love any sort of dreamy music."~sizeofanocean

Check out the full list for a lot more bands, songs, and other side movements. Again Shoegaze is just an amazing small genre with almost religious dedication by it's fans. At the altar is the guitar, the candles are effects pedals, and it's about getting all kinds of amazing shimmering sounds and feedback from it. Beautiful waves of sound and noise. Vocals are NOT the focus and are just another instrument in the mix really. Again the mix is the noise pop of JAMC Psychocandy, dream pop of Cocteau Twins, and a dash of space rock thrown in for seasoning.
Freewave

Postby itroitnyah » 24 Jan 2013 06:32

Oh, lol. What a funny name for a genre. But sauerkraut beats it =P
Image Image I am no longer an active member. here
My studio: [List of equipment]
itroitnyah

Primary: FL Studio 11
Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Postby ghelded_kultz » 24 Jan 2013 08:36

I never liked Ride all that much, especially compared to My Bloody Valentine and Slowdive. That song you posted made me rethink my opinion on Ride.

Also Freewave, what do you think about MBV releasing a new album this year?

ghelded_kultz

Postby Freewave » 24 Jan 2013 10:56

Ride is definitely a mixed bag. DO check out out Nowhere as it's kind of known as part of the holy trinity of shoegaze (Loveless, Souvlaki, Nowhere). A few tracks before and after that are good too.

A few more gems ^^^

Do keep in mind that countless bands made great ep's though and sometimes that's some of the best proper shoegaze tracks (Lush, Curve, MBV, Catherine Wheel) and many of those didn't make it on to albums.

I look forward to a Loveless sequel from MBV although there's a strong chance that the delay and the hype will cause it to never match the built up expectations. Not sure how they are live as some people swear by them but so much of what they try to do is be as loud and noisy as possible to the point of ruining the beauty beneath those songs (and killing their audiences ears ffs). Not sure i'd drop money to see them given that expectation but at least i got a few bootlegs of the times they have been recorded by tapers (most not that great due the difficulty of recording in that setting). Still it's nice they have a whole new generation of fans and they carry on again when for the longest time that seemed like a remote possibility.
Freewave

Postby Nine Volt » 24 Jan 2013 11:43

Filing request: darkwave

:3
Nine Volt

Postby Freewave » 24 Jan 2013 13:23

Nine Volt wrote:Filing request: darkwave

:3

Hell yes! Will do! ;)

I'm going to follow Shoegaze up with one of it's children. There's a whole wave of revival bands after it dies in the 90's in the list i linked above but i also love the electronic shoegaze that came out the death of the original wave and that became more of the exciting hybrid in the last decade. Not shoegaze by the book but using elements of it combined with other genres and electronic.

Electronic Shoegaze ( Nu-gaze ?)

While the Shoegaze revival has been in full swing for most of the previous decade, the term "Nu-gaze" has often loosely been used to label most of these new key bands involved with it's resurgence. While most of the revivalists through the late 90's and beyond have stuck to the tried and true methods of revisiting prior classics through traditional guitar effects, several key artists have taken Shoegaze elements and expanded upon the genre through a wide use of primarily Electronic instruments instead. This use of Electronics within the genre is where the "Nu" part of the genre name really shines although for the most part the "Nu-gaze" term has been used only by some Shoegaze enthusiasts (and simply hated by others) and has yet to truly catch on as more defined term. However, Electronic Shoegaze has been one of the more innovative elements of the Shoegaze Revival this last decade and upon inspection dates back even earlier to the mid 90's as the Shoegaze movement itself began to dissolve (from bands Slowdive, Chapterhouse, and SeeFeel). For the most part these efforts often fall under Dream Pop & Ambient classification but as a whole it spells out a vital portion of the evolution away from distorted guitars but keeping many of the same characteristic traits of Shoegaze.

Full List

Some Highlights

Ulrich Schnauss - "On My Own" from A Strangely Isolated Place (2003)

"I liked this album more with every listen until it became one of my favourite albums of all time. Eight wonderful tracks of ambient electronica influenced by be early nineties shoegazer bands like Slowdive and Chapterhouse . Every single sound is carefully placed resulting in songs that are great background music but are even better for concentrated listening. This album will please any fan of ambient electronica or shoegazer."~Hepiladron

Ulrich's importance in Nu-gaze has been comprehensive through the decade as he completed his trilogy with Goodbye this same year, did a variety of remixes collected in Missing Deadlines - Selected Remixes, dj'ed shoegaze sets in various cities, and was involved with a variety of other projects including Longview, Engineers, and Ulrich Schnauss & Jonas Munk.

M83 - "Run Into Flowers" from Dead Cities, Red Seas & Lost Ghosts (2003)

When My Bloody Valentine's epoch-defining blissout masterpiece Loveless came out, everyone was dying to know what was going to top it. When Kevin Shields pulled a Brian Wilson and dropped out of contention, that answer seemed left unanswered. Or perhaps partially answered, by the post-rock of Disco Inferno and Bark Psychosis. French synth duo M83 aren't necessarily breaking new ground with technology that dates back to 70s Kraftwerk and Brian Eno, but they've done a wonderful job in replicating the hypnotic multi-toned harmonics of My Bloody Valentine, substituting synths for the distorted guitars. The result is somewhat less gauzy, but equally transportive and hallucinatory. Less songs than looped textures with slow-moving melodies blanketed on top, with a swirl of psychedelic color, Dead Cities, Red Seas & Lost Ghosts really does offer a new twist in sound and approach, while avoiding cliche."~fastnbulbous

WHY IS THIS ALBUM TRACK NOT ON YTUBE FFS. ARGHGHGHGHGHG%$@#$@

Ok get "M83 0078H" instead. Same album...

The Radio Dept. - "The Worst Taste In Music" from Pet Grief (2006)

"Pet Grief evinces an impeccably fashionable roll call of influences from British post-punk and shoegaze to more recent electronic indie and dream pop. Lesser Matters had the heart, the humanity, the class, the confidence, and the pop chops, in spades, to pull off its stylish simulations without ever seeming rotely regurgitative. The band's always somewhat fluid lineup is now down to three -- they've gained a keyboard player and lost a bassist and a drummer since the first full-length, and the (apparently intentional) effects are evident in an increased reliance on synthesized atmospherics and programmed drum machine beats, which still sound as gloriously cheap as ever. Their lush lo fi luster is only slightly diminished -- that is to say: these productions are, on the whole, slightly more polished, though they're still amply capable of generating that woozy, wistful warmth."~AMG

Mahogany - "Supervitesse" by Connectivity! (2006)

"Therein lies the greatest difference between Mahogany and most bands who have been fitted with the "neo-shoegazer" tag: Unlike many of their reverb-loving contemporaries, Mahogany never fall back on atmospherics alone. As gorgeous as these sounds are, they always seem to have a place within the greater plan of the song-- nothing on Connectivity! registers as unnecessary or obstructive. Rather than playing towards a sense of impenetrable mystery, Connectivity! lays out its inner workings like a well-made machine. The second disc of Connectivity! includes two alternate mixes done by the Cocteau Twins' Robin Guthrie as well as a lengthier mix of "Supervitesse". Guthrie's participation in Connectivity! gives the album an air of credibility, but Mahogany never really attempt the otherworldly beauty of the Cocteaus. While Connectivity! is a gorgeous record, it tends to err towards the neat, the structural, and the logical."~pitchfork

So less a proper genre but more a movement of taking shoegaze with electronic and shaking it up with a wider mix of ingredients and other genres. Some good music in there.
Freewave

Postby Watashig » 27 Jan 2013 02:19

Really like the post on dubstep :DDDD

But, uh, maybe you could do one on modern Electro/Electro House/Complextro/??? I don't understand all those subdivisions.
AKA "Wata"
Watashig

Postby Freewave » 27 Jan 2013 10:16

The one thing I've been kind of bad on is keeping the genre list current with what's been happening in this last decade as I'm kind of into history of how it all unfolded and frankly it's hard to keep up with a movement AS it's still developing. That said maybe it's time to start thinking of a PROPER complextro set as it's been a few years and there should be enough people who've written about it...I'll get up a electro/electro house soon as i did cover the origins of that. ;)
Freewave

Postby Freewave » 01 Feb 2013 17:48

Ok fufilling a request from Nine Volt...

if you ever wanna know what NACP would best be classified as... its Darkwave.

Darkwave

Darkwave is a genre that is rarely ever "pure", in that there's almost always overlap with other genres. Usually the overlap occurs with gothic, post punk, and gothic rock, but there are also plenty of occasions of overlap with industrial even. Darkwave is a music genre that emerged from Post-Punk and New Wave. It combines a dark, introspective, sorrowful, "gothic" atmosphere of Gothic Rock with Electronic influences, particularly Synth Pop. Although the genre started as a post-punk style, eventually some artists started to make a greater use of synthesizers and drum machines, thus moving towards dark electro music (Electro-Industrial related style). As a result the term covers a broad range of dark "gothic" music with prominent synthesized sounds.

One of it's most popular sibling genres would be Ethereal Wave and Neoclassical Darkwave which i can do as well if there's a request.

Full List

Highlights

Dead Can Dance - "The Ubiquitous Mr. Lovegrove" from Into the Labyrinth (1993)

Dead Can Dance as having an ambient style of world music that "constructed soundscapes of mesmerising grandeur and solemn beauty; African polyrhythms, Gaelic folk, Gregorian chant, Middle Eastern mantras, and art rock. One of the key originators of Darkwave and Orcherstral Darkwave.

Deine Lakaien - "Love Me to the End" from Dark Star (1991)
"A milestone in the then emerging German darkwave/Todeskünstler scene! And Veljanov simply has one of the most beautiful male voices in the wave scene."~David

Clan of Xymox - "This World" from Hidden Faces (1997)

"If i say "one of the most inovating and good goth albums on the planet" i'm not lying, Hidden Faces breaks the post-punk obscure faces (j.divison-esque) of the old records and bring us a smart synthpop mixed with alternative music and gothic interpretation. The darkwave face of the sounds are really enjoyable and even the sixteen tracks falls into the same beat in almost every part of the record the reciclation of the old dark tunes to a danceable and bizarre-guilty makes everyone want to re-listen to."~ crystalwolf.

Rony Moorings proves his music can stand the test of time. Hit after hit, consistency in dark synth music straight from their beginnings in the early 80s.

Diary of Dreams - "The Curse" from Freak Perfume (2002)

Diary of Dreams always there for any club: goth clubs, industrial, alternative, ebm, dance or darkwave

Sopor Aeternus & The Ensemble of Shadows "In Der Palastra" from Les fleurs du mal (2007)

Sopor Aeternus consists of only one person, Anna-Varney Cantodea. She says that her music is only made for herself, and listening to it reflects that. In songs like In Der Palästra, you can feel the emotion with which she sings. For some, Anna’s vocals may strike them the wrong way, but to hear with the emotion she sings, one can not help but be moved.

Last edited by Freewave on 02 Feb 2013 08:33, edited 1 time in total.
Freewave

Postby ghelded_kultz » 01 Feb 2013 19:31

Is orchestral darkwave also known as (or similar to) neoclassical darkwave?

ghelded_kultz

Postby Freewave » 02 Feb 2013 08:32

ghelded_kultz wrote:Is orchestral darkwave also known as (or similar to) neoclassical darkwave?

Oops. Yes that's actually what i meant to say (i paraphrased).
Freewave

Postby Freewave » 02 Feb 2013 09:01

Freewave wrote:
ghelded_kultz wrote:Is orchestral darkwave also known as (or similar to) neoclassical darkwave?

Oops. Yes that's actually what i meant to say (i paraphrased badly).

Actually let's just do that. Have a feeling this may run into Makkon territory too.

Neoclassical Darkwave

Neoclassical Darkwave combines dark ethereal atmosphere of darkwave with classical elements and influences, thus creating one of the most cathartic, nocturnal, dramatic, hypnotic, sensual, passionate, sombre, melancholic, eerie, stylish, wintry, gloomy, reflective, and brooding genre of music.

Full List

Highlights

Dead Can Dance - "Enigma of the Absolute" from Spleen and Ideal (1985)

"Dead Can Dance were an Australian band founded by Lisa Gerrard and Brendan Perry whose debut, Dead Can Dance, was highly influential on development of Ethereal Wave and Darkwave. They quickly superseded rock elements of their gothic music by more medieval, ethereal atmosphere as well as elements of Western Classical Music, World Music and Dark Ambient. Spleen and Ideal and Within the Realm of a Dying Sun laid the foundations of Neoclassical Darkwave genre."

Elend - "Worn Out With Dreams" from Winds Devouring Men (2003)

"Elend is one of the most successful Neoclassical Darkwave groups in history. They released many important albums, evolving through years from harsh synth-based to Dark Ambient-esque Neoclassical Darkwave with even stronger than usual Western Classical Music influence."

Dark Sanctuary - "La Clameur Du Silence" - Les mémoires blessées (2004)

The second disc of that set focuses on unusual examples of Neoclassical Darkwave influenced by other genres than typical Darkwave, Western Classical Music and Neofolk, such as Martial Industrial. There are also some songs that are just Neoclassical Darkwave but quite different from typical "pure" Neoclassical Darkwave featured on CD1.

In the Nursery " Subito Regal - Miracle Of The Rose I " from Stormhorse (1987)

In the Nursery are an English post-Industrial band formed by twin brothers Klive and Nigel Humberstone. In 1987 they released highly influential Stormhorse, which was full of dramatic Martial Industrial, cinematic synthesized sounds and Western Classical Music elements. In the Nursery's music was significantly different from Dead Can Dance's works but it helped in developing Neoclassical Darkwave just as much and influenced many later Martial Industrial/Neoclassical Darkwave bands.

Triarii - "Victoria" from Pièce Héroique (2006)

There are obviously many, many Western Classical Music-influenced Martial Industrial artists can't be really described as true Neoclassical Darkwave acts, but Triarii is worth mentioning here for its big importance. Christian Erdmann's project is arguably the most popular such artist and his Neoclassical Darkwave-oriented Martial Industrial music is the highest quality.

Hope people enjoy this set as well. As said i see echoes of what Makkon does in Neoclassical Darkwave (the more instrumental kind and with some Martial err touches too). I don't know if that's part of his influences or if he just ended up at the same destination but worth noting. Unlike the previous Darkwave set which in list form jumped around a lot this set by Miklak is a big better organized.

Hope you like this one too. :D
Freewave

Postby topitmunkeydog » 02 Feb 2013 09:28

You should do anti-folk because it is the best genre :)
topitmunkeydog

Primary: (trying to learn) ableton
Cutie Mark: yes

Postby ghelded_kultz » 02 Feb 2013 09:59

topitmunkeydog wrote:You should do anti-folk because it is the best genre :)

Anti-folk is pretty great but while we are on the topic of darkwave, we might as we tackle neofolk. It crosses over with neoclassical a whole bunch. Not to mention David Tibet is awesome.

I also propose electro. Not electro-house, but good ole 80s electro.

ghelded_kultz

Postby ph00tbag » 04 Feb 2013 19:43

I'm serious. Do Suomisaundi.
ph00tbag
Global Moderator

Primary: FL Studio
Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Postby Freewave » 06 Feb 2013 08:46

ph00tbag wrote:I'm serious. Do Suomisaundi.

Well I've never even heard of it until you mentioned it. Sounds a bit like GOA trance but a bit different. I can do some research if i have the time and maybe MAKE a set for it (man i'm rusty) as it sounds interesting. If you want a GOA trance set I'd be happy to post that.

ghelded_kultz wrote:
we might as we tackle neofolk. It crosses over with neoclassical a whole bunch. Not to mention David Tibet is awesome.

I also propose electro. Not electro-house, but good ole 80s electro.

Old School Electro sounds like an idea, A bit later. Neofolk too. I'm a Stapleton fan (Tibet's partner on Nurse With Wound) so i prefer that project but there's a killer Neo-Folk set that i can post for it.
Last edited by Freewave on 06 Feb 2013 12:27, edited 1 time in total.
Freewave

Postby Navron » 06 Feb 2013 11:14

You can probably tie Goa trance and Psybient in together. Both genres take from each other in many ways.
DAW: Cubase 6.5, Ableton Live 8
Preferred Genre: Industrial/Trance
Hardware: Schecter Diamond Series Bass, Yamaha Acoustic Guitar, BP355 Effects Pedal, Keystudio 49K Keyboard, Akai APC40, Korg nanoKEY2 25k Keyboard
Navron
Global Moderator

Primary: Cubase 6.5

Postby Freewave » 06 Feb 2013 12:22

Well i did both a GOA and a Psybient back in the day I'll post next.

Regarding Suomisaundi I've found some good info out there. They have a decent wikipedia entry
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suomisaundi
i did find this link to a 300 page thesis paaper (i call that a book if the link works)
http://www.psynews.org/forums/index.php ... 1987-1998/
and this recommendations thread.
http://www.psynews.org/forums/index.php ... omisaundi/
I'm sure i can grab some info from both of those to have a proper write up and summary maybe by saturday.
Freewave

Postby Freewave » 06 Feb 2013 14:55

GOA Trance

Goa Trance is a subgenre of trance that originated in Goa, India stemming from the hippie influence. Goa Trance tracks tend to focus on steadily building energy throughout, using changes in percussion patterns and more intricate and layered synth parts as the music progresses in order to build a hypnotic and intense feel (plus some "acid trance" overtones). Goa was actively produced from 1993-1998 after which the sound became psychedelic, morphing into Psychedelic Trance (Psytrance) around the turn of the millenium. Psytrance is much less melodic, has sharper distinct sounds instead of melodies which flow into each other and is darker. Goa Trance is more organic while Psytrance is more mechanical.

Goa is a small (by Indian standards) state halfway down India's western coastline which was a Portugese colony for hundreds of years. The entire scene was managed by foreigners, as you'll find the major Goa artists are from Israel, France, England and Italy. Goa trance enjoyed significant commercial success with support from DJs such as Paul Oakenfold, Sven Väth and Andrew Weatherall, who later went on to assist in developing a much more mainstream style of trance outside Goa. Only a few artists came close to being Goa trance "stars", enjoying worldwide fame.

Full List

Highlights

Juno Reactor - "High Energy Protons" (6:33) from Transmissions (1993)

"Transmissions was one of the first successful (goa) trance albums ever. The only other trance artist in that year that could come to blows with Juno was X-Dream (whom also released their debut album that same year). I haven't had this album since 1993.. heck I was too young to even appreciate music back then, but I can only imagine how massive a CD like this must have been back then. The sci-fi elements must have blown people's minds. The CD seems to carry a theme of space and more in particular, the moon. The voice samples, cover art and track titles do a good job of that. The music itself is a very primitive form of trance, which involves a lot of acid beats. If you're interested in seeing where goa began, a big piece of it is right here in this album."~Reticulum_Flux

"Juno Reactor with the driving force of the musical genius of Ben Watkins were one of the first acts to pave the way for what later became labelled as “Goa” or “Psychedelic” trance. Although this album is considered one of the very first albums of this kind of trance, I frankly say that i.m.h.o. only some tracks on this album can be truly defined as (early) Psy-Goa trance. Most of the tracks here are just trance with a good dose of acidic 303 sound.

The opening track “High Energy Protons” is one of the band’s most famous tracks. If you ask me this is what I consider a definition of (early) Goa-trance. This track doesn’t sound dated, unlike the rest of this album which unfortunately sounds a little too dated penalised maybe by the use of excessive 303."~Josephschembri

Astral Projection - "Mahadeva" from Tantrance: A Trip to Psychedelic Trance (1995)
First part of a 12 Cd Series dedicated to Psytrance

"Mahadeva always was and still is my #1 goa track. It defines the genre for me."~xdryme

"Its hard to describe the way this tune swept away all those who heard in amazement at the time. Turning many new ears onto the Goa scene, The opening pounding bass line and vocal chant turned parties into wide eyed, wide smiling euphoria. Still sounds better than anything that has come since in my opinion, and heard under the starts in Anjuna, totally unforgetable and unbeatable piece of sonic magic."~jet_jaguar

"The Original version is without one of the all time greatest psy-trancers. It's one of those records that simply demands that you take to the dance floor."~Universe

Hallucinogen - "LSD" (6:41) from Twisted (1995)

"Hallucinogen is a project by Simon Posford. This is the most famous Goa album ever. Hypnotic, fluid, trippy, twisting...the definitive Goa album and "LSD" the definitive Goa track. If I had to pick one Goa album everyone on Earth must hear, I'd pick this. This album will overwhelm your senses, LSD is beautiful, lilting and the layers all meld together to make it a journey though sound."~karan129

"A psychedelic trance song like opener LSD is a definite fixture in the genre and doesn't beat around the bush. Hallucinogen released a Psytrance album in Twisted that excites the senses and makes you want to dance at the same time. Influential and for a good reason, not to mention the best selling album of the genre."~selfmonarch

Man With No Name - "Teleport" from Yellow Compilation (1995) [Compilation]

"This track is one of the most famous Goa Trance tracks ever produced. Man With No Name at his best!"~karan129

"One of the true great old school releases! Martin Freeland AKA Man With No Name has released countless ace tunes during his career, but none will ever match the importance and sheer brilliance of Teleport. An instant hit when first released, just like his other renowned numbers, it's farily simple, catchy yet damn irresistibly effective. It starts off with a female vocal chant, before venturing into an epic combination of a loud kick drum and benevolent, mind opening and larger than life melodies, with underlying acid synths stabbing from the background. Halfway through the track there's a sample about human teleportation, followed by some absolutely gorgeous, mouth watering melody work, rarely matched since. "~maroko

"Every legend has a beginning and the legend of TIP Records begins here. I reckon that what The Doors and Jimi Hendrix is to the hippies of the seventies and what Beatles and Rolling Stones is to the sixties so TIP is to the goa follower. Together with a few other labels TIP truly introduced something new in the midnineties and on Yellow Compilation you get a wide selection of the best at their best.

If you’re into that ol’ classic goa sound start hunting. This is the epiphany of the trippy, diverse, old skool insane psychedelic shaman medicine that TIP got famous for. "~SkeletonMan

Freewave

PreviousNext

Return to Music Discussion