Anyone here like noise? What's your favorite album?

This isn't a forum for specifically talking about production or posting your own music, but it is a place to talk about the music you are listening to.

Anyone here like noise? What's your favorite album?

Postby DUMBFABRIC » 13 Sep 2015 23:59

My favorite general noise album would definitely be Naked City - Naked City if that counts (that's more grindcore though, innit?). If that doesn't count then Teuthis Galore - Shields Are Important.

As far as pony noise goes, as rare as it is, Pupae - 2000000000% COOLER and that just rocks thing Pinkameana Party did were rad.
HARSH NOISE BRONY WOOOO LOOK AT HOW LOUD I CAN BE

But sometimes in a pinch I can do ambient noise or whatever I guess...

https://soundcloud.com/dumb-fabric
DUMBFABRIC

Primary: FL and Audacity, depending
Cutie Mark: A broken waveform probably

Re: Anyone here like noise? What's your favorite album?

Postby FLAOFEI » 14 Sep 2015 15:25

I don't listen much to noise... Or... I guess you could call some of Venetian Snares harder stuff Noise, and I listen to that quite regularly.

I used to listen a bit to harsh noise though. Mainly when I was in need of some serious brain numbing stuff, like when you are sick of standing an hour on an overcrouded subway in a winter jacket, sweating your balls off, just to get to school... And knowing you'll be making the same trip in the oposite direction in about 8 hours...
Still, I tended to go more for noisy breakcore in those situations.

My fav noise album tho... My fav artist is ⇩LOAD, an alias of Renard. He made the SHITSMEAR COLLECTIONs Vol 1-4... I can't pick a fav of them though...

Edit: Writing this made me go back and listen to some Shitsmear (such a funny word to write), and daum! It's better than I rememberd!
If you wanna have a listen... The bandcamp and soundcloud have been taken down, but stuff is being reuploaded to youtube. Or if you wanna download https://archive.org/details/LOADSHITSMEARCOLLECTIONS
)>-<)))^*> Sharkpon4srs
https://soundcloud.com/flaofei/brothel-king
Rainbow Dash lives on SOUNDCLOUD; Big Mac posts on Eeyyuptube; Twilight is a BOOKfACE; Octavia went to BandCamp! And Derpy has bad balance, you could say she TUMBLrING
ImageOMG POLKA PLOT!!! BEST ALBUM IN THE HISTORY OF POLKACORE!!!
FLAOFEI

Primary: Fruit Loops 10
Cutie Mark: POLKA PLOT

Postby ExoBassTix » 15 Sep 2015 00:31

Aww man why's it taken down then? :(

I gotta admit I pretty much lost my touch with Noise music. I still listen to some of my own Noise works or that of friends (CDLBOT pls). Back when I still listened to a lot of Noise, I gotta say, most of it was HNW or Power Electronics (the latter mainly thanks to Noize Pervertz, thanks ya bum). Sleep Column - Revelation Bonecrusher will always be one of my favorite walls, along with Astral & Shit - dumb $ mattress. And I really love the HNW Fest compilation and JTCH's 24-hour Noise marathon, oh and Eyjafjallajökull - Livshantering.

And I'm sad because Galactic Intolerance Records is so very clumsy when it comes to tapes. I really wanna order some but they don't exactly respond when I ask how (and I released Why there, which they were absolutely ecstatic about). Lol
Collecting dust...

Dieselminded drifter dodging delirium in daunting dreamscapes.
ExoBassTix

Primary: FL Studio 20
Cutie Mark: a crystal waterphone

Postby FLAOFEI » 15 Sep 2015 05:17

Idk why ⇩LOAD was taken down. I know renard did it themself, but in that post they didn't state a reason, and no info on if ⇩load would return.
I guess they wanted their image a bit cleaner... I think their Hey kid wanna yiff Tumblr got taken down around the same time, so cleaner image kinda makes sense.
They made some noisy stuff as Eugene... Haven't listened much to that tho

On another point, would you call "Venetian Snares - Crule Whole" noise? I have no idea of any formal criteria for what can be called noise...
)>-<)))^*> Sharkpon4srs
Rainbow Dash lives on SOUNDCLOUD; Big Mac posts on Eeyyuptube; Twilight is a BOOKfACE; Octavia went to BandCamp! And Derpy has bad balance, you could say she TUMBLrING
FLAOFEI

Postby DUMBFABRIC » 17 Sep 2015 21:30

I have no idea of any formal criteria for what can be called noise...

Does it have any?

DUMBFABRIC

Postby FLAOFEI » 18 Sep 2015 01:44

As far as I know, no... But some people say death metal is "just noise", cause they don't appreciate it, but I don't like that argument. I would say tracks like "Where's Bill" (Infolepsy ep, Venetian Snares) aren't noise, even though it is noisey as hell. I can see why some people would say it's noise, but to me, it's not.
)>-<)))^*> Sharkpon4srs
FLAOFEI

Postby Freewave » 18 Sep 2015 16:56

I don't listen to a ton of noise and it's a genre when ACCURATELY used as a genre is rather specific (not including breakcore and the like). Drill N Bass and Breakcore are very cool but can't say they are truly noise.

These are a few I've rated the highest:

Birchville Cat Motel - Our Love Will Destroy the World (2006) - Drone, Noise
Kazumoto Endo - While You Were Out (1999) Harsh Noise
Merzbow - Oersted (1996) Noise, Harsh Noise

Most of Merzbow's classic albums are the easiest to find and enjoy as he dominates the genre.

There's a bit of Power Electronics that is some savage stuff. Morally reprehensible subject matter that drags up the worst in humanity (not necessarily endorsing but bringing it up to the light). Later Whitehouse (Birdseed) and Sutcliffe Jügend for that are pretty good.

I love love love Nurse With Wound but most of his stuff on hovers around the edges of it.

Honestly i think a lot of the fun in Noise is making it rather then just listening to it. A lot of my early non pony music really fell in that realm when i had no clue what i was doing and was having a blast just trying different ways.
Links for my music: YouTube, Bandcamp, and Tumblr
Check out the Brony Music Directory and FimMusic. A portal for all pony music
Support the 20+ Musician Maressey Project currently underway.
Freewave

Primary: Fl Studio 10
Cutie Mark: X$X

Postby DUMBFABRIC » 19 Sep 2015 01:00

Merzbow - Oersted

Oooh that's a good one

DUMBFABRIC

Postby ExoBassTix » 19 Sep 2015 04:52

Freewave wrote:Honestly i think a lot of the fun in Noise is making it rather then just listening to it. A lot of my early non pony music really fell in that realm when i had no clue what i was doing and was having a blast just trying different ways.

Yeah, the thescientist stuff right? Ever felt like taking a shot at it again? Or if not, would you like to?
Collecting dust...

ExoBassTix

Postby FLAOFEI » 19 Sep 2015 22:11

Freewave wrote:Honestly i think a lot of the fun in Noise is making it rather then just listening to it.

Hehe. Gotta agree there.
I used to use my MS-20 mini as a modular synth, making noise for hours! For such a limited system I think I got some pretty interesting patterns while I was at it. I don't know why I don't do that anymore...
)>-<)))^*> Sharkpon4srs
FLAOFEI

Postby Freewave » 24 Sep 2015 10:02

ExoBassTix wrote:
Freewave wrote:Honestly i think a lot of the fun in Noise is making it rather then just listening to it. A lot of my early non pony music really fell in that realm when i had no clue what i was doing and was having a blast just trying different ways.

Yeah, the thescientist stuff right? Ever felt like taking a shot at it again? Or if not, would you like to?

Yup thescientist. Although not all of it was noise.

I've contemplated doing that. I know I've talked about doing a EPM:S3 (Experimental Pony Music) and using mostly sampling from the 13 episodes of season 3 and doing a different technique on each track that's carried over from my scientist days. With that being the season where the show took an unexpected downturn it seems like that would be fitting (revenge). Give them track names similar to what sgap used to do for his S2 responses.

I spent the week wrapping up most of what will be my next album so that will hopefully be coming to a close soon(although i had a partial covers and fimfiction response album i'd like to complete as well). When that's done i COULD possibly give it a shot (maybe with a collaborator). Maybe with the a lot more experience under my belt I could have results for an experimental album that has a bit better mixing/mastering then my old stuff. The idea of being able to wack out an album in a 2-3 week period rather than a year could be a fun change and being able to manipulate episode footage would be fun too.
Links for my music: YouTube, Bandcamp, and Tumblr
Check out the Brony Music Directory and FimMusic. A portal for all pony music
Support the 20+ Musician Maressey Project currently underway.
Freewave

Primary: Fl Studio 10
Cutie Mark: X$X

Postby ExoBassTix » 24 Sep 2015 14:38

Freewave wrote:
ExoBassTix wrote:

Ever felt like taking a shot at it again? Or if not, would you like to?

I've contemplated doing that. I know I've talked about doing a EPM:S3 (Experimental Pony Music) and using mostly sampling from the 13 episodes of season 3 and doing a different technique on each track that's carried over from my scientist days. With that being the season where the show took an unexpected downturn it seems like that would be fitting (revenge). Give them track names similar to what sgap used to do for his S2 responses.

I spent the week wrapping up most of what will be my next album so that will hopefully be coming to a close soon(although i had a partial covers and fimfiction response album i'd like to complete as well). When that's done i COULD possibly give it a shot (maybe with a collaborator). Maybe with the a lot more experience under my belt I could have results for an experimental album that has a bit better mixing/mastering then my old stuff.

Sounds neat man, and I'd definitely love to see you back in the Noise game :P I really liked most of the thescientist stuff I've heard.
I don't exactly know how I'd personally go at a Noise collab (as -most- of the time, my own Noise work is done through one live recording and that's it, though not always), I'm really interested in how you'd want that to work with someone (and I mean, excluding "collab meet up"). I'd love to take a shot at it with you though, assuming we could find a way to make that work. I've meant to do some pony Noise for a long time now as well, so yeah.

Freewave wrote:The idea of being able to wack out an album in a 2-3 week period rather than a year could be a fun change and being able to manipulate episode footage would be fun too.

Well that's Noise for ya :P
Collecting dust...

ExoBassTix

Postby Viricide Filly » 30 Sep 2015 06:17

I'd have to say that my favourite noise albums are Sissy spacek's Self titled, Yellow Swans' Going Places and I Am a Lake of Burning Orchards' Summer in my Veins.
On the subject of noise, I love it tbh. It can lend itself to so many genres. Take Five Star Hotel's blend of trap and harsh noise for example on his 2015 album Outlands. Absolutely BRUTAL album.
Or the noise+shoegaze sounds of bands like the Goslings, Skywave and Glifted. The Goslings' album "Grandeur of Hair" is especially gnarly, whereas Skywave, Astrobrite and Glifted's music tends to wash the sound over you, adding layers of distortion and fuzz to the signature droning guitar sounds of the shoegaze genre.

I personally think noise is also one of the rawest and most emotive genres. Take the ANGRY, pulsing, relentless sounds of Pulse Demon by Merzbow, and compare it to the empty soundscapes of Going Places by Yellow Swans. Noise has made me cry, get hyped up/excited, and has helped me to calm down after something royally pissed me off.
We breakfast is e

House. Glitch Hop. IDM. Breakbeat. Chillout. Footwork. Lo-fi. Vaporwave. Noise. These are some of the genres I like to completely ruin.
Viricide Filly

Primary: Hula Hoops
Cutie Mark: electric!1!11!

Postby S.P.P » 03 Nov 2015 08:02

I dunno if you'd call it noise but it's pretty borderline if not; SUNN O))) - Flight of the Behemoth is a great album combining drone metal and noise (iirc they collaborated with Merzbow on it).
S.P.P

Primary: FL Studio, Ableton, Pro Tools

Postby PekaNo » 15 Nov 2015 09:33

I prefer making noise than listening it.
Edit signature
PekaNo

Primary: FL Studio
Cutie Mark: BREAKCORE

Postby ExoBassTix » 15 Nov 2015 17:15

PekaNo wrote:I prefer making noise than listening it.

Now that's a good one I've pondered over a lot. Back when making Noise was more of a common thing for me, even then it was pretty uncommon to be listening to other Noise, except a few big favorites (nowadays when I listen Noise, it's either some new stuff from a friend, or one of those favorites; little Noise for me). Even less nowadays.
Collecting dust...

ExoBassTix

Postby Mordecai Mapper » 27 Feb 2016 12:44

I like Merzobow and Sunn o)))
Mordecai/Mapper

Also know as MO)))RD
Mordecai Mapper

Primary: FL Studio 12
Cutie Mark: Heavy Metal Hand

Postby temperance » 23 Jun 2016 06:24

yeah i do but i have no fav album
temperance

Primary: Not yet specified.
Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Return to Music Discussion