NAMM 2015 Discussion

This isn't a forum for specifically talking about production or posting your own music, but it is a place to talk about the music you are listening to.

NAMM 2015 Discussion

Postby BronyMetalMix » 21 Jan 2015 19:27

Haven't seen a thread about this so I figured I'd make one..

For those who don't know, The NAMM Show is the world’s largest trade-only event for the music products industry. It is held every January in Anaheim, California, USA at the Anaheim Convention Center, and is one of the two largest music product trade shows in the world. It is where companies such as AIKI, Presouns, KORG, Audio Technica, and even Guitar Makers such as Gibson, Fender,among others come to show what products they have in store for 2015.

What do you all hope is announced? Any predictions or wish list? Let's all talk about it here!

Note Wise
Things to Improve on in 2015
MOAR SONGS!
Transitions
Chord and Melodies
Mixing
"Flow of Energy" in a song

DAW: FL Studio 11, Logic Pro X
VST: Nexus, TAL-NoiseMaker, Komplete 10,
Equipment: APC40, AudioBox USB

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/BronyMetalMix (Username was before Note Wise.)
SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com/notewise
Reverbnation: http://www.reverbnation.com/notewise
User avatar
BronyMetalMix
 
Posts: 74
Joined: 26 Sep 2012 14:23
OS: Windows and Mac
Primary: FL Studio, and Logic Pro X
Cutie Mark: Electronic and Guitar

Re: NAMM 2015 Discussion

Postby GhostXb » 02 Feb 2015 19:12

I like to check out hardware just to drool over it, but I'm guessing there arn't too many brony musicians interested in hardware since music hardware is very expensive, and a lot of musicians here are young, going to school, and can't afford it. Also, we're mostly software based.

I make most of my investments in software. If I had tons of cash lying around I would buy synths and misc hardware, but for many musicians on a budget, music hardware is a tough sell since you can get software counterparts for cheaper, and are usually more robust.

That said, the M-Audio Code 49 does interest me. Midi controllers are definitely relevant to software based musicians. I've been wanting to get my hands on a drum pad too. I hope they do a code 88, because I want to practice my piano skills more on a full range keyboard. The Akai mpk88 looks cool, but I hear the keys are too heavy for agile playing...

I have my eyes peeled for a good 88 key midi controller.
User avatar
GhostXb
 
Posts: 271
Joined: 04 Feb 2012 06:35
Location: British Columbia, Canada

Re: NAMM 2015 Discussion

Postby FLAOFEI » 06 Feb 2015 05:41

Didn't really keep myself up to date on what happened, but I had alook at the highlights, and I'm glad I did!

Now I'm drooling over the PO-12, Teenage Engineering and their new set of pocket sized sequencers and synths! I've been looking for some way to bring my music with me when away from my computer. I don't want a mobile daw, cause they just seem like clones of real daws, but with a bunch of restrictions. I'd rather try anothe another way to make music all together. I was looking into getting lsdj or something like that, but a sequencer seems like more fun.

Definatley getting one of the POs. For $60 it can't not be worth it!

And on the topic of sequencers, KORG is coming out with one for the ms 20, the SQ-1. I'm not 100% sure if I'm getting one of those yet, but it's on the wishlist. I'm gonna have to look into what other sequencers are on the market (and how hard a diy build would be). $100 to sequence on hardware instead of software... Maybe worth.
)>-<)))^*> Sharkpon4srs
https://soundcloud.com/flaofei/brothel-king
Rainbow Dash lives on SOUNDCLOUD; Big Mac posts on Eeyyuptube; Twilight is a BOOKfACE; Octavia went to BandCamp! And Derpy has bad balance, you could say she TUMBLrING
ImageOMG POLKA PLOT!!! BEST ALBUM IN THE HISTORY OF POLKACORE!!!
User avatar
FLAOFEI
 
Posts: 2534
Joined: 15 Aug 2012 14:46
Location: Behind yah (nah, Sweden)
OS: Windows Licker 7
Primary: Fruit Loops 10
Cutie Mark: POLKA PLOT

Re: NAMM 2015 Discussion

Postby Acsii » 17 Feb 2015 19:54

Don't forget about Korg remaking the ARP Odyssey. And Sharpone which PO-12 are you gonna go for?
20 something Transgirl that makes sounds called music
Soundcloud | Facebook | Bandcamp | Blog
Placing my tongue on the GR meter to taste the gain reduction I some how improved my skills.
User avatar
Acsii
 
Posts: 2457
Joined: 19 Apr 2012 01:55
Location: Melbourne, Australia
OS: OS X
Primary: Logic Pro X
Cutie Mark: Old round oscilloscope

Re: NAMM 2015 Discussion

Postby FLAOFEI » 19 Feb 2015 01:32

I saw the arp odyssey... It looked darn good! But I don't own a wallet that big, nor could I afford filling that wallet :/

I got the PO-14, the drummachine. Still not sure if it was the right choice... But I'm sure I'll get more of them later. Doubt I'd be disappointed whochever I chose.

Demands where way higher than they expected though, so I probably won't have it until April... Can't blame them though. Can't order a gazillion units before you know your market.
)>-<)))^*> Sharkpon4srs
https://soundcloud.com/flaofei/brothel-king
Rainbow Dash lives on SOUNDCLOUD; Big Mac posts on Eeyyuptube; Twilight is a BOOKfACE; Octavia went to BandCamp! And Derpy has bad balance, you could say she TUMBLrING
ImageOMG POLKA PLOT!!! BEST ALBUM IN THE HISTORY OF POLKACORE!!!
User avatar
FLAOFEI
 
Posts: 2534
Joined: 15 Aug 2012 14:46
Location: Behind yah (nah, Sweden)
OS: Windows Licker 7
Primary: Fruit Loops 10
Cutie Mark: POLKA PLOT

Re: NAMM 2015 Discussion

Postby Acsii » 19 Feb 2015 03:08

FLAOFEI wrote:I saw the arp odyssey... It looked darn good! But I don't own a wallet that big, nor could I afford filling that wallet :/

I got the PO-14, the drummachine. Still not sure if it was the right choice... But I'm sure I'll get more of them later. Doubt I'd be disappointed whochever I chose.

Demands where way higher than they expected though, so I probably won't have it until April... Can't blame them though. Can't order a gazillion units before you know your market.

I still need to get the OP-1 or whatever it's called
20 something Transgirl that makes sounds called music
Soundcloud | Facebook | Bandcamp | Blog
Placing my tongue on the GR meter to taste the gain reduction I some how improved my skills.
User avatar
Acsii
 
Posts: 2457
Joined: 19 Apr 2012 01:55
Location: Melbourne, Australia
OS: OS X
Primary: Logic Pro X
Cutie Mark: Old round oscilloscope

Re: NAMM 2015 Discussion

Postby FLAOFEI » 19 Feb 2015 14:59

Acsii wrote:I still need to get the OP-1 or whatever it's called

Those things are way to pricey for me. I guess that's why the PO series got so much attention. A company known for high quality inovative products sells a series in a lpw pricerange. Everyone who drooled over the OP-1 but couldn't afford one (and everypne who could) now wants a PO.

Speaking of TE. While listening to videos of the POs NAMM pressentation, I kept thinking to myself that was the kind of company I wanna work for. Instead of sending a professional pr guy they sent the guy who actually built the things! I don't even care that his presentation techniques wheren't that good. He literally knew those devices inside and out!
)>-<)))^*> Sharkpon4srs
https://soundcloud.com/flaofei/brothel-king
Rainbow Dash lives on SOUNDCLOUD; Big Mac posts on Eeyyuptube; Twilight is a BOOKfACE; Octavia went to BandCamp! And Derpy has bad balance, you could say she TUMBLrING
ImageOMG POLKA PLOT!!! BEST ALBUM IN THE HISTORY OF POLKACORE!!!
User avatar
FLAOFEI
 
Posts: 2534
Joined: 15 Aug 2012 14:46
Location: Behind yah (nah, Sweden)
OS: Windows Licker 7
Primary: Fruit Loops 10
Cutie Mark: POLKA PLOT

Re: NAMM 2015 Discussion

Postby Acsii » 19 Feb 2015 16:39

FLAOFEI wrote:
Acsii wrote:I still need to get the OP-1 or whatever it's called

Those things are way to pricey for me. I guess that's why the PO series got so much attention. A company known for high quality inovative products sells a series in a lpw pricerange. Everyone who drooled over the OP-1 but couldn't afford one (and everypne who could) now wants a PO.

Speaking of TE. While listening to videos of the POs NAMM pressentation, I kept thinking to myself that was the kind of company I wanna work for. Instead of sending a professional pr guy they sent the guy who actually built the things! I don't even care that his presentation techniques wheren't that good. He literally knew those devices inside and out!

That's because TE are literally not big enough too have Professional presenTing guts
20 something Transgirl that makes sounds called music
Soundcloud | Facebook | Bandcamp | Blog
Placing my tongue on the GR meter to taste the gain reduction I some how improved my skills.
User avatar
Acsii
 
Posts: 2457
Joined: 19 Apr 2012 01:55
Location: Melbourne, Australia
OS: OS X
Primary: Logic Pro X
Cutie Mark: Old round oscilloscope

Re: NAMM 2015 Discussion

Postby Pulse Wave » 11 Mar 2015 12:46

Acsii wrote:Don't forget about Korg remaking the ARP Odyssey.

You can even switch between the 4023 (Mk I), 4035 (early Mk II) and 4075 (rest of Mk II and Mk III) filters. Unfortunately, it doesn't quite sound like a vintage Odyssey. And it takes slim fingers like I have to play the narrow keys.

Maybe even more intriguing is the return of Sequential Circuits as a kind of sub-brand of Dave Smith Instruments. Their Prophet-6 is said to sound quite close to the classic SCI Prophet-5 Rev. 3 while being both cheaper and more reliable, not to mention new.

Okay, perhaps the Akai Timbre Wolf might rather find its way into the hands hooves of our likes — although it's quite limited.

FLAOFEI wrote:I saw the arp odyssey... It looked darn good! But I don't own a wallet that big, nor could I afford filling that wallet :/

Well, the 1000 € analogue synth I would buy was announced after the NAMM: Futuresonus Parva.

But I can only hook up one more synth to my setup even after finally acquiring another 01V. And for genuine 80s galore, I might still need some wavetable.
Old brony, older than old school.
Gear list, Jabber ID: see my profile.
No FL Studio, no VSTs. No Skype, no YouTube.

Sounds fly through the night, I follow Vın̈yl Scratch to Pony Wonderland.
User avatar
Pulse Wave
 
Posts: 92
Joined: 18 Jan 2014 14:26
Location: Home of wavetable synthesis and VST
OS: For music, you mean? Manjaro.
Primary: Hardware synths and samplers and sequencing and effects and mixing all the way
Cutie Mark: Green 33% width pulse wave

Re: NAMM 2015 Discussion

Postby Acsii » 12 Mar 2015 15:46

Don't forget that David is pretty much sequential. He was one of the engineers working with them, so it more surprised me that it didn't happen earlier.
20 something Transgirl that makes sounds called music
Soundcloud | Facebook | Bandcamp | Blog
Placing my tongue on the GR meter to taste the gain reduction I some how improved my skills.
User avatar
Acsii
 
Posts: 2457
Joined: 19 Apr 2012 01:55
Location: Melbourne, Australia
OS: OS X
Primary: Logic Pro X
Cutie Mark: Old round oscilloscope

Re: NAMM 2015 Discussion

Postby Pulse Wave » 05 Apr 2015 11:07

Well, the Prophet-5 was his baby. All Rev. 1s were actually assembled at his place; the Rev. 2 was the first to see industrial assembly.
Old brony, older than old school.
Gear list, Jabber ID: see my profile.
No FL Studio, no VSTs. No Skype, no YouTube.

Sounds fly through the night, I follow Vın̈yl Scratch to Pony Wonderland.
User avatar
Pulse Wave
 
Posts: 92
Joined: 18 Jan 2014 14:26
Location: Home of wavetable synthesis and VST
OS: For music, you mean? Manjaro.
Primary: Hardware synths and samplers and sequencing and effects and mixing all the way
Cutie Mark: Green 33% width pulse wave

Re: NAMM 2015 Discussion

Postby BronyMetalMix » 08 Apr 2015 08:50

I'm very excited for the Auria Pro coming for iPad. That thing is amazing in terms of it's power for an iPad app. However, The thing that caught my eye the most was the new version of Pro Tools as well as the "Pro Tools First". The idea of cloud colab seems to be a big thing now a days. Many companies such as Propellerhead, Blend.io, and Splice like the idea of being able to upload a project and let others download it. Pro Tools seems to want to take it one step further and actually let you RECORD over the internet. I'm very curious about it..but also wonder how much latency and delay you'll get.
Things to Improve on in 2015
MOAR SONGS!
Transitions
Chord and Melodies
Mixing
"Flow of Energy" in a song

DAW: FL Studio 11, Logic Pro X
VST: Nexus, TAL-NoiseMaker, Komplete 10,
Equipment: APC40, AudioBox USB

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/BronyMetalMix (Username was before Note Wise.)
SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com/notewise
Reverbnation: http://www.reverbnation.com/notewise
User avatar
BronyMetalMix
 
Posts: 74
Joined: 26 Sep 2012 14:23
OS: Windows and Mac
Primary: FL Studio, and Logic Pro X
Cutie Mark: Electronic and Guitar

Re: NAMM 2015 Discussion

Postby Acsii » 08 Apr 2015 16:42

BronyMetalMix wrote:I'm very excited for the Auria Pro coming for iPad. That thing is amazing in terms of it's power for an iPad app. However, The thing that caught my eye the most was the new version of Pro Tools as well as the "Pro Tools First". The idea of cloud colab seems to be a big thing now a days. Many companies such as Propellerhead, Blend.io, and Splice like the idea of being able to upload a project and let others download it. Pro Tools seems to want to take it one step further and actually let you RECORD over the internet. I'm very curious about it..but also wonder how much latency and delay you'll get.

Yes I've been waiting for cloud collab in pro tools for ages hopefully it'll mean the end of importing data for large scale projects, like film and such, hopefully it also supports cross collab between pro tools and media composer, as that'll make everything super duper amazing.
20 something Transgirl that makes sounds called music
Soundcloud | Facebook | Bandcamp | Blog
Placing my tongue on the GR meter to taste the gain reduction I some how improved my skills.
User avatar
Acsii
 
Posts: 2457
Joined: 19 Apr 2012 01:55
Location: Melbourne, Australia
OS: OS X
Primary: Logic Pro X
Cutie Mark: Old round oscilloscope

Re: NAMM 2015 Discussion

Postby BronyMetalMix » 09 Apr 2015 19:35

Acsii wrote:
BronyMetalMix wrote:I'm very excited for the Auria Pro coming for iPad. That thing is amazing in terms of it's power for an iPad app. However, The thing that caught my eye the most was the new version of Pro Tools as well as the "Pro Tools First". The idea of cloud colab seems to be a big thing now a days. Many companies such as Propellerhead, Blend.io, and Splice like the idea of being able to upload a project and let others download it. Pro Tools seems to want to take it one step further and actually let you RECORD over the internet. I'm very curious about it..but also wonder how much latency and delay you'll get.

Yes I've been waiting for cloud collab in pro tools for ages hopefully it'll mean the end of importing data for large scale projects, like film and such, hopefully it also supports cross collab between pro tools and media composer, as that'll make everything super duper amazing.


I don't know how much it would be the end of importing as you say. But when you say that, do you mean importing like a project, an audio file, effects and stuff like that? Or at you talking about something different that's a lot larger in size.
Things to Improve on in 2015
MOAR SONGS!
Transitions
Chord and Melodies
Mixing
"Flow of Energy" in a song

DAW: FL Studio 11, Logic Pro X
VST: Nexus, TAL-NoiseMaker, Komplete 10,
Equipment: APC40, AudioBox USB

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/BronyMetalMix (Username was before Note Wise.)
SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com/notewise
Reverbnation: http://www.reverbnation.com/notewise
User avatar
BronyMetalMix
 
Posts: 74
Joined: 26 Sep 2012 14:23
OS: Windows and Mac
Primary: FL Studio, and Logic Pro X
Cutie Mark: Electronic and Guitar

Re: NAMM 2015 Discussion

Postby Acsii » 09 Apr 2015 22:16

BronyMetalMix wrote:
Acsii wrote:
BronyMetalMix wrote:I'm very excited for the Auria Pro coming for iPad. That thing is amazing in terms of it's power for an iPad app. However, The thing that caught my eye the most was the new version of Pro Tools as well as the "Pro Tools First". The idea of cloud colab seems to be a big thing now a days. Many companies such as Propellerhead, Blend.io, and Splice like the idea of being able to upload a project and let others download it. Pro Tools seems to want to take it one step further and actually let you RECORD over the internet. I'm very curious about it..but also wonder how much latency and delay you'll get.

Yes I've been waiting for cloud collab in pro tools for ages hopefully it'll mean the end of importing data for large scale projects, like film and such, hopefully it also supports cross collab between pro tools and media composer, as that'll make everything super duper amazing.


I don't know how much it would be the end of importing as you say. But when you say that, do you mean importing like a project, an audio file, effects and stuff like that? Or at you talking about something different that's a lot larger in size.

I'm talking about session data, for extremely large scale projects like feature length films where you have terabytes of assets.
20 something Transgirl that makes sounds called music
Soundcloud | Facebook | Bandcamp | Blog
Placing my tongue on the GR meter to taste the gain reduction I some how improved my skills.
User avatar
Acsii
 
Posts: 2457
Joined: 19 Apr 2012 01:55
Location: Melbourne, Australia
OS: OS X
Primary: Logic Pro X
Cutie Mark: Old round oscilloscope

Re: NAMM 2015 Discussion

Postby Mr. Bigglesworth » 12 Apr 2015 05:11

Acsii wrote:
FLAOFEI wrote:I saw the arp odyssey... It looked darn good! But I don't own a wallet that big, nor could I afford filling that wallet :/

I got the PO-14, the drummachine. Still not sure if it was the right choice... But I'm sure I'll get more of them later. Doubt I'd be disappointed whochever I chose.

Demands where way higher than they expected though, so I probably won't have it until April... Can't blame them though. Can't order a gazillion units before you know your market.

I still need to get the OP-1 or whatever it's called

TBH the OP-1 isn't even worth half it's pricetag.
I'm not here anymore, but if you want you can still just call me Mr. BigBagelBoggle!

Sound
Face
You
User avatar
Mr. Bigglesworth
 
Posts: 1869
Joined: 19 Apr 2012 03:17
Location: Toowoomba, Australia
OS: Windows 7
Primary: FL Studio
Cutie Mark: My own ass

Re: NAMM 2015 Discussion

Postby FLAOFEI » 12 Apr 2015 06:28

Mr. Bigglesworth wrote:TBH the OP-1 isn't even worth half it's pricetag.

I've heard it be compared to the Apple of synths. Overhyped, a new "inovative" user interface, overpriced, and other than good build quality, not much more. Pluss that most people I've seen use it look pretty darn hipster...
)>-<)))^*> Sharkpon4srs
https://soundcloud.com/flaofei/brothel-king
Rainbow Dash lives on SOUNDCLOUD; Big Mac posts on Eeyyuptube; Twilight is a BOOKfACE; Octavia went to BandCamp! And Derpy has bad balance, you could say she TUMBLrING
ImageOMG POLKA PLOT!!! BEST ALBUM IN THE HISTORY OF POLKACORE!!!
User avatar
FLAOFEI
 
Posts: 2534
Joined: 15 Aug 2012 14:46
Location: Behind yah (nah, Sweden)
OS: Windows Licker 7
Primary: Fruit Loops 10
Cutie Mark: POLKA PLOT

Re: NAMM 2015 Discussion

Postby BronyMetalMix » 12 Apr 2015 20:02

FLAOFEI wrote:
Mr. Bigglesworth wrote:TBH the OP-1 isn't even worth half it's pricetag.

I've heard it be compared to the Apple of synths. Overhyped, a new "inovative" user interface, overpriced, and other than good build quality, not much more. Pluss that most people I've seen use it look pretty darn hipster...


Arturia has a few great synths. If you want a cheap, but great sounding synth, I can't recommend the MicroBrute enough. I got mine from a site called Perfect Ciruit Audio for $250(It was the limited edition as well) and it was worth every penny. Wonderful sounding. It even has a mini patch bay with lets you route to different functions and shapes of the oscillator.
Things to Improve on in 2015
MOAR SONGS!
Transitions
Chord and Melodies
Mixing
"Flow of Energy" in a song

DAW: FL Studio 11, Logic Pro X
VST: Nexus, TAL-NoiseMaker, Komplete 10,
Equipment: APC40, AudioBox USB

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/BronyMetalMix (Username was before Note Wise.)
SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com/notewise
Reverbnation: http://www.reverbnation.com/notewise
User avatar
BronyMetalMix
 
Posts: 74
Joined: 26 Sep 2012 14:23
OS: Windows and Mac
Primary: FL Studio, and Logic Pro X
Cutie Mark: Electronic and Guitar

Re: NAMM 2015 Discussion

Postby Mr. Bigglesworth » 12 Apr 2015 21:52

I've been tossing around the idea of getting a microbrute so I can set it up alongside my minibrute to use them as a duophonic pair. You just set one to low note priority and the other to high note priority (doesn't matter which is which) trigger one with the midi out of the other (again, doesn't matter which one), feed the output from one into he input of another and they can basically act as one 2 oscillator synth.
I'm not here anymore, but if you want you can still just call me Mr. BigBagelBoggle!

Sound
Face
You
User avatar
Mr. Bigglesworth
 
Posts: 1869
Joined: 19 Apr 2012 03:17
Location: Toowoomba, Australia
OS: Windows 7
Primary: FL Studio
Cutie Mark: My own ass


Return to Music Discussion



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest