Bass Trombone Staccato Soundfont....

Sample Packs? VSTs? DAWs? EQ? What DOES the knee on the Compressor do? All computer-related music making topics belong here!

Bass Trombone Staccato Soundfont....

Postby Armystuntman » 22 Jun 2014 07:25

welp, i don't know anything about music so bear with me on this one

Basically, I've always been in love with that deep parpy sound of the bass trombone, but from all the free soundfonts I've scrounged I can't seem to find a good one. (Nor can I find one for a tuba but I'm bearing with that for now.) Most of the ones i've found are too weak, they sound like they're for jazz or something which really puts me off when I want to go for something much harsher sounding.

If it makes any sense, I'm trying to find the orchestral soundfont equivalent to the "HAG1" sound from Banjo Tooie.

Sonatina has a really weird trombone staccato which doesn't really cut it, and it only has a really weak-sounding bass trombone legato. What I'm trying to find is..FF, I think? Squidfont also seems to have a trombone staccato but the low pitches sound pretty weird, and I've heard rumours of Squidfont being illegal so I'm kind of scared of using it too.

Any suggestions? I'm aiming not to buy any soundfonts and use free (legal) ones, but now I'm starting to get desperate.
Armystuntman

Primary: Fruity Loops
Cutie Mark: Tuba

Re: Bass Trombone Staccato Soundfont....

Postby S.P.P » 22 Jun 2014 10:03

Edirol Orchestral has some really nice brasses, including a staccato trombone section. Of course, it's quite expensive; just depends if you want to spend money on a full orchestral VSTi. If you're planning on buying at all, that is..
S.P.P

Primary: FL Studio, Ableton, Pro Tools

Postby Callenby » 22 Jun 2014 14:08

The sad fact of the matter is that if you want quality libraries then you gotta be willing to pay for them. If you're not willing to spend the money, then you're going to be stuck with the less-than-inspiring freeware.

For what it's worth, I use CineBrass. It would fulfill all the things you're describing.
"Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist." - Pablo Picasso
Free online classes (including music) can be found here. Credit for my avatar goes to Lolo.

Tumblr / YouTube / Soundcloud
Callenby

Primary: Cubase 7.5
Cutie Mark: Double bass clef heart

Postby senntenial » 30 Jun 2014 22:17

Not kompletely sure about this, but I think NI's Kontakt Player comes with some Trombone sounds for free! If not, it's still worth checking because they do have some nice other sound libraries.

Anyway, I'm really partial to Spitfire's Albion instruments for (you guessed it) Kontakt. If you're ever looking to purchase a sound library, go with one of their packages.
My website with free music resources
18 year old full stack web dev and designer
senntenial
Global Moderator

Primary: FL Studio
Cutie Mark: ponies are for losers

Postby Lying Pink » 02 Jul 2014 12:29

The Papelmedia staccato trombone soundfont is pretty good. I dunno whereabouts you can get it on its own but it's in the brass and woodwind pack here (the other packs are really good too).
Fnord.
Soundcloud | Tumblr | Skype | YouTube | Email
/)__~
</</
Lying Pink

Primary: Reaper
Cutie Mark: Knees

Postby CaptainFluffatun » 02 Jul 2014 13:22

Yeah, Kontakt is pretty much the best program you're going to find for this stuff.
CaptainFluffatun

Primary: Cubase 5
Cutie Mark: Orchestral

Postby Docinterlude » 10 Jul 2014 07:00

CaptainFluffatun wrote:Yeah, Kontakt is pretty much the best program you're going to find for this stuff.

Don't forget that Kontakt can be beaten by VIPRO 2 from Vienna Symphonic Library. Which is infact a powerful tool!
I am composing a few songs:

Deep Emotions: Piano, Bass Clarinet and Trumpet in Bb. (Started)
Docinterlude

Primary: Sibelius 7, Reaper
Cutie Mark: Piano and Composition

Return to Resources, Software, and Mixing Advice