How do I obtain synths?

Sample Packs? VSTs? DAWs? EQ? What DOES the knee on the Compressor do? All computer-related music making topics belong here!

How do I obtain synths?

Postby slvrstrm » 16 May 2014 01:02

This is a really noob question I'm sure, but how exactly do I "get" synths? I only recently started using a DAW (FL Studio), and I'm still trying to figure out what's going on. I know a little about resampling, and I imagine that filters and such add a lot of the movement in synths, but how do I obtain the basic waveforms? Do I make them from the geometric waveforms (sine, square...) by resampling, or do I download them from somewhere and then butcher them with automation clips, or granulize stuff, or what? I'm not really sure what the terms "library" and "VST plugin" and so on mean, and I don't know where to start. I've tried looking around for answers, but I'm not really learning anything. I'm not sure if I made it clear or not, but I really don't know what's going on, so don't expect any knowledge to be granted at this point. (I am versed in theory, though.) halp plz T_T
slvrstrm

Primary: FL Studio
Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Re: How do I obtain synths?

Postby CaptainFluffatun » 16 May 2014 01:10

Well for third-party synths, you can buy them from any company that makes them. You then download them and put them in your VST plugins folder.

A VST plugin stands for Virtual Studio Technology. In laymen's terms: it's a thing that does stuff. Want reverb? Use a reverb plugin. Want strings? Use a string plugin. It's just the format of things you can add to your DAW.

Unless you meant making synth PATCHES, not just installing synths. That, my friend, is an art of its own. Basically, if you tweak the parameters of any given synth, you get different sounds. Every synth will come with options for the basic waveforms you were looking for - sine, triangle, square, saw etc should all be there. Some synths, like Massive by Native Instruments, offer a wide array of oscillators (waveform generators) that generate complex waveforms to get a thicker sound. You don't need to resample these waveforms, you only need to trigger the synth with midi, which you input using the piano roll. When you play the song, your DAW will read the midi in real time and give you back a synth sound.
CaptainFluffatun

Primary: Cubase 5
Cutie Mark: Orchestral

Postby slvrstrm » 16 May 2014 01:23

What's a good place for a beginner like myself to start? I've been collecting audio samples for a little while now with vaporwave in mind, and a couple of others that I could probably do something with if I knew how, but I imagine this only covers one section of the whole synth-making process. Is it possible to just make synths from audio clips by modifying them? I've been playing around with some things here and there, but so far it all sounds like noise compared to the synths more accomplished musicians use. More specifically, what kind of... thing... should I run sound through, and what should the source be? I'm all for playing around with something, but 3xOSC and equivalently simple oscillators only do so much.
slvrstrm

Postby eery » 16 May 2014 01:45

For sampling, try something like DirectWave instead, it should be in your default FL list. You can also pretty much just drop it on the playlist. Sampling and synths are different. Synths might use a little snippet of a wave, but we're talking smaller than microseconds here. A synth repeats the wave over and over to make a consistent waveform of the same wave, then runs this thru envelopes which shapes it. Sampling is much more about just taking a piece of music and breaking it down, sort of, if that makes sense.

A fun middleman can be granulizing synths, try taking a little part of the song, put it in FL granulizer, and play about with the knobs.

For VSTs btw, there's a world of free vsts out there. I'd have a crack at those before starting to buy a bunch of stuff you wont know if you need or not.
eery
Global Moderator

Primary: Fruity tools 11
Cutie Mark: dank

Postby slvrstrm » 16 May 2014 01:57

Alright, I'll play around with the samples I've got some more and check out DirectWave. Any recommendations on where to find VST's? I'm looking mainly to produce glitch hop (more on the funky side), prog house, and some generic stuff like electro house or whatever to start. Oh, and what's a wavetable? Should I be worried about whatever that is? I hear that mentioned occasionally.

EDIT: I imagine this series of questions is a little out of place here, so if someone will direct me to a video series or something similar I can just soak in that for a while. I've been watching Seamless's videos on Fruity Loops: that's the only reason I know half these terms. ^_^; I appreciate all the help.
slvrstrm

Postby Freewave » 16 May 2014 15:22

Here's a list of quite a few Vst Sythn's. https://rateyourmusic.com/list/TheScien ... st_synths/

Up to you how many you want to pick up outside of the ones the more basic ones that come as part of your DAW. Massive, Sylenth1, and Nexus 2 are some of the more popular ones. As each is different it might be best to learn how to automate and use each synth to its maximum potential.
Links for my music: YouTube, Bandcamp, and Tumblr
Check out the Brony Music Directory and FimMusic. A portal for all pony music
Support the 20+ Musician Maressey Project currently underway.
Freewave

Primary: Fl Studio 10
Cutie Mark: X$X

Postby Conduit » 16 May 2014 18:47

I think you're a little confused on the meaning of some of these words, but don't worry too much, it'll come with time.

If you want you can add me on skype, my name is in my signature. I don't have FL, but I could probably still walk you through the basics of synthesizing your own stuff.
https://soundcloud.com/flatflish/a-warm-past

DAW: Logic 9
Vst's: Absynth, Battery, FM8, Guitar Rig, Kontakt, Massive, Maschine
Real Instruments: Acoustic/Electric Guitar, Cello, Piano

YoutubeSoundcloudTutors ThreadSkype: FlatflishImage
Conduit

Primary: Logic Pro 9
Cutie Mark: Strings

Postby itroitnyah » 16 May 2014 22:29

If you're into reading, Kyoga recommended me a great book on synthesis that will go through everything from the history to today and a ton of other synthesis stuff. It's a little over 550 pages long though, so it's a long read.

Although you should probably get to know the basics of a synthesizer beforehand (such as oscillators and filters and other plugins) so that you know what the guy is talking about. This is the book I'm referring to.

Also a very good tip to learning how to synthesize sounds is to read manuals on the synthesizers. They're really helpful. You should probably do that before reading the book I suggested. In fact, Image-Line does a thing where they put their manuals online. Here's an example. They literally go through everything.
Image Image I am no longer an active member. here
My studio: [List of equipment]
itroitnyah

Primary: FL Studio 11

Postby slvrstrm » 18 May 2014 20:12

Oof, all these names. e_e I'll try and sort through all this stuff, and see if I learn anything. And I would love that, Conduit! I'll have to wait a couple of days because I'm out in the middle of nowhere with only slow phone internet, but I could definitely use a conversation with someone more experienced. I'll hit you up later.
slvrstrm

Postby Stars In Autumn » 20 May 2014 00:16

All the advice in this topic is good. I just want to add one thing. Basically, you want very flexible synths to start out with. Massive, Sylenth1, Z3ta+ 2, Spire, etc are all very flexible synths. They can pretty much make what you want. Pick one and try to make music using just that synth. Use it for all the standard stuff (pads, leads, bass, etc.)

The important thing is to learn the synth completely. Each synthesizer has it's place but that doesn't mean they don't overlap. Once you learn one of them very well, the others are much quicker to learn and you'll be able to see the advantages/disadvantages of each one compared to the other.
-Stars In Autumn aka Jeffthestrider
Stars In Autumn
Site Admin

Primary: FL
Cutie Mark: Myself

Postby JSynth » 21 May 2014 15:09

My advice: If you are willing to invest money into what you do, then I would reccomend saving up for Native Instrument's Komplete package. If I recall correctly, it cost me about $500 at Guitar Center. Its a high price, but it will give you ALOT of good software, such as Massive, Reaktor, FM8, Kontackt and Battery (all of those are about $200 a piece). Point is, if you want to get stuff from NI, get that, it will cost you a bit more, but you will get much more bang for your buck.
https://soundcloud.com/jasper-synth/back-at-me
Jokeblue wrote:You fool. You've doomed the Spam thread to yet another, inevitable :3 spam.

My Tumblr
My YouTube
My SoundCloud

DAW: Logic Pro 9
Plugins: Sylenth, Sausage Fattener, Komplete 9, NI The Mouth, Ozone 5, Bitspeek
JSynth

Primary: Logic 9
Cutie Mark: yo face

Postby KoolKool93 » 22 May 2014 08:37

about softsynth,many softsynths are actually similar in term of programming,and can create any sounds,the difference is the sound quality,the more expensive,the higher sound quality this softsynth can provide..massive,sylenth are example..

you just need 1-2 softsynths (so you should decide which one you like best and buy it) ,and the rest you need a sampler and mixing,effect VSTs + A fine DAW => then you can start your electronic music making career :mrgreen: (as a bedroom producer)

most people when making music,they make everything quick by using presets
they synth their own sound when they have free time... :mrgreen:
KoolKool93

Primary: FL

Return to Resources, Software, and Mixing Advice