vocoder ? Melodyne ? Or More ?

Sample Packs? VSTs? DAWs? EQ? What DOES the knee on the Compressor do? All computer-related music making topics belong here!

vocoder ? Melodyne ? Or More ?

Postby Natas_blackmane » 29 Mar 2014 13:16

Ok first of all hey every one long time no see hahaha and if I post this in the wrong place sorry but the full website has changed haha.

Any way I have been wrecking my head for the last three days and messing with every thing in FL I can get my hands on. But I just cant work this out.

https://soundcloud.com/blazemoosic/mast ... d-fly-away

What are the vocals in this song made with haha they sound like they are being done with a vocoder Like he just played the notes and like sang/talked. *when he gose higher it really feels like it* But it also has that kind of wooden toaster feel to it of Melodyne and its to clean to be a vocoder *or just have a really bad one*. . . . Any ideas ??? If any of you know and would like to tell me I would love you for ever XD and if you know any videos/websites that show how its done I would love you even more.

So yea if this is posted in the wrong place sorry haha thanks alot guys.

| Genres: Experimental | Orchestral electronic | Metal | Avant-garde | Dubstep | Darkstep |
Natas_blackmane

Re: vocoder ? Melodyne ? Or More ?

Postby Fl Brony » 29 Mar 2014 15:20

To me it sounds a bit like bitspeak, but it could be melodyne
I rap, make teh electronics, and try to be br00tz.
I also go by JokerCard for non pony stuff
My Youtube
My Soundcloud
I have a Tumblr...
I have a Twitter or something...

Fl Brony

Primary: FL Studio
Cutie Mark: Blank Flank

Postby Natas_blackmane » 29 Mar 2014 16:17

Na I am about 100% its not bitspeak cus it dose not sound broken up XD If you know what i mean its to learn and I have Melodyne and i cant get that kind of sound at all.

| Genres: Experimental | Orchestral electronic | Metal | Avant-garde | Dubstep | Darkstep |
Natas_blackmane

Postby itroitnyah » 29 Mar 2014 22:27

A lot of it sounds like just plain singing, although I don't have the most experience with vocoders, so I couldn't say for certain.

Although on the parts where distortion is more apparent, there could definitely be some vocoding, possibly with saw waves, but with a lot of the dry vocals mixed in over the wet vocoded ones. But once again, vocoding isn't my forte, so don't take it like the word of truth.

They also sing in falsetto quite a bit.
Image Image I am no longer an active member. here
My studio: [List of equipment]
itroitnyah

Primary: FL Studio 11
Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Postby LFP » 30 Mar 2014 04:21

They sounds to make like they're definitely done with melodyne, the "autotune" effect melodyne has becomes more apparent as you move farther away from your original pitch which is probably what you're hearing.
The "distortion" you're hearing mos likely comes from layering in melodyne as doing that has a similar effect, it's very apparent when you layer an extra layer an octave down.
The singing is also sliced up a lot and had each slice pitch-shifted with melodyne.
Brony Music Directory
Nine Volt wrote:That feel when 9V will never take you out to dinner 3:
LFP

Cutie Mark: Blank flank4evar

Postby Natas_blackmane » 30 Mar 2014 07:37

*The singing is also sliced up a lot and had each slice pitch-shifted with melodyne.*

See thats what thought cus i know his voice dose not sound like that in real life . . . . XD

Natas_blackmane

Postby TheLydeOctave » 30 Mar 2014 23:37

If you want to get a sound like Glaze, H8_Seed, Pegasys, Stormwolf, etc. then its actually pretty simple. Melodyne is the HUGE part that makes this possible. You do still need to try to sing to get a better sound to your voice or it's going to sound very strange. Once you record and open the file in melodyne, select all of the notes (Cntrl+A) and above in the tab with the shapes click on the "Pitch tool" then followed by double clicking on any one of the notes. (this then places all of your notes in a perfect pitch, although sometimes it may mess them up so make sure you fix them)
Next if you want a robotic or autotuney effect like H8, you then go under the arrow of the pitch tool and select the "Pitch modulation" tool (click and hold to see these other tools) and again, select all notes and double click. This removes all vibrato or shakiness in the voice and removes the human-ness from it.
NEXT PART IMPORTANT
Now you must harmonize. under File, click on "insert new track", copy all of your notes and paste them in another track. You can then edit the note placement of those other tracks to harmonize with yourself. (this is called unnatural harmonizing) I have been told that Glaze uses another of the originally places notes and places it an octave down to get a more deep sound. I recommend that you use 3 tracks total when harmonizing (ex: high, middle, and bass). this is always a good thing when panning your harmony tracks. usually keep the middle in the middle and pan the others to the left and right to get a fuller and more interesting sound. MAKE SURE YOU HARMONIZE THE NOTES CORRECTLY, IT CAN BE A HUGE ISSUE IF THEY DO NOT FIT IN THE CHORD PROGRESSION.
If you have any more questions, feel free to ask me, I love messing around with the same kind of voice they do.
TheLydeOctave

Cutie Mark: ponies are dumb

Postby Natas_blackmane » 31 Mar 2014 17:27

TheLydeOctave wrote:If you want to get a sound like Glaze, H8_Seed, Pegasys, Stormwolf, etc. then its actually pretty simple. Melodyne is the HUGE part that makes this possible. You do still need to try to sing to get a better sound to your voice or it's going to sound very strange. Once you record and open the file in melodyne, select all of the notes (Cntrl+A) and above in the tab with the shapes click on the "Pitch tool" then followed by double clicking on any one of the notes. (this then places all of your notes in a perfect pitch, although sometimes it may mess them up so make sure you fix them)
Next if you want a robotic or autotuney effect like H8, you then go under the arrow of the pitch tool and select the "Pitch modulation" tool (click and hold to see these other tools) and again, select all notes and double click. This removes all vibrato or shakiness in the voice and removes the human-ness from it.
NEXT PART IMPORTANT
Now you must harmonize. under File, click on "insert new track", copy all of your notes and paste them in another track. You can then edit the note placement of those other tracks to harmonize with yourself. (this is called unnatural harmonizing) I have been told that Glaze uses another of the originally places notes and places it an octave down to get a more deep sound. I recommend that you use 3 tracks total when harmonizing (ex: high, middle, and bass). this is always a good thing when panning your harmony tracks. usually keep the middle in the middle and pan the others to the left and right to get a fuller and more interesting sound. MAKE SURE YOU HARMONIZE THE NOTES CORRECTLY, IT CAN BE A HUGE ISSUE IF THEY DO NOT FIT IN THE CHORD PROGRESSION.
If you have any more questions, feel free to ask me, I love messing around with the same kind of voice they do.

Oh thanks man that was epic and lots of good info its what I kind of thought but its good to know i was right hahahah any ideas where I can read about Harmonizing vocals ?? so I can get that 100 % down Thanks bro

Natas_blackmane

Postby TheLydeOctave » 02 Apr 2014 00:14

Oh thanks man that was epic and lots of good info its what I kind of thought but its good to know i was right hahahah any ideas where I can read about Harmonizing vocals ?? so I can get that 100 % down Thanks bro

Not really sure what youre getting at. All uou new to harmonize is a decent ear for music, know which key the instrumental is in or understanding of how to add multiple tracks in your software
TheLydeOctave

Cutie Mark: ponies are dumb

Return to Resources, Software, and Mixing Advice