Making Specific Snares! (Help!)

Sample Packs? VSTs? DAWs? EQ? What DOES the knee on the Compressor do? All computer-related music making topics belong here!

Making Specific Snares! (Help!)

Postby Amphipony » 09 Mar 2014 16:32

As an EDM producer, I have to deal with over processed sounds. It's not really my forte although I am getting better at it. I would like some help with snares because of all the other posts I've seen, I've never been able to recreate the sound they advertise. All I ask of is the following three snares (the means of production I mean):

https://soundcloud.com/omnipony/omni-run The snare here sounds great both high and low pitched. So far, I can only accomplish a nicer higher pitched sound.

https://soundcloud.com/aleksander-vinter/scatman-au5-savant-fractal-and With a snare that will sound softer like the one above, I want to know how to create a bigger thump as well

https://soundcloud.com/omnipony/omnivore-urban-metaphor-single To finish it off, we have another Omni track. I love his snares so much, and would absolutely love to know to make this snare (the dubstep one of course).

Any help would be much appreciated <3
I'm a teenager making EDM. I'm original, right? RIGHT?!!!!
Amphipony

Primary: Ableton Live 9
Cutie Mark: Drumstep

Re: Making Specific Snares! (Help!)

Postby Injustrial » 09 Mar 2014 18:26

Not having tried this myself, and assuming these were made in FL Studio with the Drummaxx plugin: I'd venture a guess towards the preset Electro Snare 04 and an increased size. Then there's some subtractive EQ, probably mostly in the mids and highs and some compression. Possibly a hint of distortion added. I'll get back to you and see what I'm able to get going

EDIT: After fiddling a bit, I think the snare on the second song (Scatman) has the VEC1 Snare no 10 as a starting sound and it's fiddled with afterwards. If so, there's some pitch shifting going on, a good amount of EQ and compression and probably some soft overdrive to help the tail along. Sorry I can't be more specific, I really suck at recreating sounds.
Injustrial

Primary: FL Studio
Cutie Mark: Sh*t on Fire

Postby Amphipony » 09 Mar 2014 19:11

Ok, I'll give it a go with that snare. I'll try and get the best result and let you know how I fare with it. Thanks for the reply, though ^^

*EDIT* The snare does have an incredible ability to be a snappy snare. I'll just need to process it a lot to get it to where I want it. One down, two to go
Amphipony

Postby itroitnyah » 09 Mar 2014 20:27

A good start is having good samples. What else you can do is layer multiple snares together. Take a lighter snare that has nice highs, and layer it with a deep snare that has a nice bass, maybe find a snare in the mid and add that too. EQ the frequencies that make the snare sound bad a bit lower, boost the ones that sound better a bit, etc. Then add some light compression, maybe some reverb, and you're golden.
Image Image I am no longer an active member. here
My studio: [List of equipment]
itroitnyah

Primary: FL Studio 11
Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Postby Amphipony » 09 Mar 2014 20:45

itroitnyah wrote:A good start is having good samples.
No offense but this saying just makes me mad a bit. The fact that some people mean to imply it as, "get better samples," and then don't recommend any good packs just ticks me off. So, in essence, any recommendations? :P
Amphipony

Postby Twy » 09 Mar 2014 23:20

Itroitnyah's advice was real legit, and I don't think he meant that bit about samples in a facetious way or anything, at all. It's always a good idea and a time saver to try and find a sample that already sounds as close as possible to what you want in the end, instead of stubbornly trying to modify an inappropriate one, for sure. The advice he gave I consider to be better than "oh yeah, uh, what you want is Vengeance's zomg bass drop brostep sample pack #4" because what everyone considers to be a good sample is pretty subjective, and his advice is aimed more at making good snares in general, which is useful information for almost all genres.

I do realize though that you asked specifically for advice on how to achieve that exact snare sound, but I just wanted to drop in my 2 cents there because that's basically exactly what I would have said as well. Other than what's been said already, I've found that dropping in some light saturation on a snare can really help make it pop. I dunno what Omnipony does, but I imagine shopping around the Vengeance library would be a good start, if not just because they're so popular that statistically it makes sense to start there.

Good luck figuring this out, though. I've been trying and failing to come up with decent snares, myself, so I know the feeling.
Twy

Postby Captain Ironhelm » 10 Mar 2014 03:49

Seeing as you like drumstep and are looking at making dubstep snares, I think it's safe to assume that you love sound designing. I am also going to assume you use N.I. Massive (terrible stereotyping, I know).

Making dubstep snares is fairly simple when you have the right ingredients. You should be able to craft your sound to your liking by making small adjustments to taste.

The main smack/body of the snare is simple. Grab a sine (other waves work too, just sine is easy) and set a plucky envelope on the amp(volume). A quick envelope on the pitch can have a nice effect but is not necessary.

On insert 1, choose either "Sine Shaper", "Parabolic Shaper", or "Hardclipper". If you don't know what those are or what they do you can go look them up yourself.

Now that you know what you are doing to the sound (haha, you didn't look it up), set your FX1 to one of the tube distortions. Distorting the sine is what dubstep snares are all about. Sine without distortion is like lemonade without lemons. Crank the drive waaaay up.

Congratulations. You are a genius. You have the main body of your snare. Deep, heavy snares are as easy as hitting a low key, those high snares all you have to do is just slap a higher note on your keyboard. Boom.

Wait a second, not quite done. Got to have the whitenoise to make it complete. Layer your existing distorted sine with a whitenoise tail. Use envelopes on the volume to get an appropriate tail that matches with the sine. Apply tasteful EQ to the whitenoise to make it not annoying and lame. Make your distorted sine proud. It deserves nothing but the best.

You can also use this method using triple oscillator, an EQ, and a distortion plugin, and still sound like skrillex. Wow.

Give yourself a cookie. Now you don't have to spend lots of money on sample packs like everyone else who have no idea what they're doing and are dependent on others. You are a real man now.
Captain Ironhelm

Postby Injustrial » 10 Mar 2014 04:34

Captain Ironhelm wrote:Seeing as you like drumstep and are looking at making dubstep snares, I think it's safe to assume that you love sound designing. I am also going to assume you use N.I. Massive (terrible stereotyping, I know).

Making dubstep snares is fairly simple when you have the right ingredients. You should be able to craft your sound to your liking by making small adjustments to taste.

The main smack/body of the snare is simple. Grab a sine (other waves work too, just sine is easy) and set a plucky envelope on the amp(volume). A quick envelope on the pitch can have a nice effect but is not necessary.

On insert 1, choose either "Sine Shaper", "Parabolic Shaper", or "Hardclipper". If you don't know what those are or what they do you can go look them up yourself.

Now that you know what you are doing to the sound (haha, you didn't look it up), set your FX1 to one of the tube distortions. Distorting the sine is what dubstep snares are all about. Sine without distortion is like lemonade without lemons. Crank the drive waaaay up.

Congratulations. You are a genius. You have the main body of your snare. Deep, heavy snares are as easy as hitting a low key, those high snares all you have to do is just slap a higher note on your keyboard. Boom.

Wait a second, not quite done. Got to have the whitenoise to make it complete. Layer your existing distorted sine with a whitenoise tail. Use envelopes on the volume to get an appropriate tail that matches with the sine. Apply tasteful EQ to the whitenoise to make it not annoying and lame. Make your distorted sine proud. It deserves nothing but the best.

You can also use this method using triple oscillator, an EQ, and a distortion plugin, and still sound like skrillex. Wow.

Give yourself a cookie. Now you don't have to spend lots of money on sample packs like everyone else who have no idea what they're doing and are dependent on others. You are a real man now.

This is going straight into my memory bank!
Injustrial

Cutie Mark: Sh*t on Fire

Postby Navron » 10 Mar 2014 14:44

In most dubstep and heavy electronic genres I can almost always hear 4 elements in nearly every type of snare:
1. Tom drum for the low end.
2. Clap sound for a snappy attack.
3. 909 snare for the main sound.
4. White noise/carefully crafted reverb for the tail.
DAW: Cubase 6.5, Ableton Live 8
Preferred Genre: Industrial/Trance
Hardware: Schecter Diamond Series Bass, Yamaha Acoustic Guitar, BP355 Effects Pedal, Keystudio 49K Keyboard, Akai APC40, Korg nanoKEY2 25k Keyboard
Navron
Global Moderator

Primary: Cubase 6.5

Postby Amphipony » 10 Mar 2014 16:40

All of these are good responses (especially the biting cynicism, I needed a wake up call) I'll have to really mess around with a bunch of random samples (and Massive) I've just collected. Thanks for all the help! <3
Amphipony

Postby Amphipony » 15 Mar 2014 18:35

Before this thread dies a horrible death, is there ANYONE out there who can tell me how to recreate the omnipony snares? :P
Amphipony

Postby Mr. Bigglesworth » 19 Mar 2014 03:28

He usually uses samples. They're very much so mostly 200 Hz thump, pitched up kicks and white noise though. Add some snappy samples to that and you'll have something similar. Beyond that I guess you could ask him on tumblr, but that's no garuntee of an answer (I'd say ask nicely).

I could ask him on facebook but I'd feel kinda rude, so call that a maybe.
I'm not here anymore, but if you want you can still just call me Mr. BigBagelBoggle!

Sound
Face
You
Mr. Bigglesworth

Cutie Mark: My own ass

Postby cplbradley » 08 May 2014 22:14

Trust me dude, I've been producing dubstep for years, and I know for a fact that it's all samples. It's basically a 909 snare with an EQ that boosts it around 200hz, followed by a few layers of claps and shit like that, and finally to top it all off, you compress the living fuck out of it.

In the end, you wind up with something like this
https://soundcloud.com/cplbradley/dat-snare-tho
Honorary Member of the Yoy and Whistle Club
https://soundcloud.com/cplbradley/perfectly-natural
cplbradley

Primary: Not yet specified.
Cutie Mark: Distorted Fart Noises

Postby RubyVesper » 23 May 2014 10:28

Indeed, all samples. I may not have been into this for years, but you are never going to get good sounding drums with samples. The snare used in this early WIP of mine under here is not even layered, it is a single tightened, fattened, EQ'd and compressed sample (snare comes in with beat at ±13 secs in). The kick is three samples layered, each with their own territory in the frequency range, gone through the same process as the snare. Actually, this was my first time using a drum rack. Anyways, one word: Vengeance. Their samples are just the best for layering and processing. They sound crap on their own, but have distinctive sounds that you can easily layer.

https://soundcloud.com/rubyvesper/ozone-wip-preview
RubyVesper

Primary: Ableton Live 9 Suite
Cutie Mark: FM8 Icon

Postby Omnipony » 23 Oct 2014 14:40

urban metaphor has crap snares tbh
also omnipnoy sux
Bamdcanp
Newgrewds
Yutube
Sodclod