Is FL Studio Mobile worth it?

Sample Packs? VSTs? DAWs? EQ? What DOES the knee on the Compressor do? All computer-related music making topics belong here!

Is FL Studio Mobile worth it?

Postby Coloriot » 01 Feb 2014 20:32

Wondering if anyone out here has FL Studio Mobile for iOS and stuff. I haven't really heard any reviews on it, and I'm wondering if it's really good. Seeing as it's an iPad/iPhone app, there's probably not much going for it, but it's about $20, so I dunno. Thoughts?
Colorkek that makes computer noises.

What's my main genre? All of them.

[Youtube] [Soundcloud] [EQBeats] [Bandcamp] [Twitter]
Coloriot

Primary: Ableton Live 7
Cutie Mark: Mac Color Wheel of Doom

Re: Is FL Studio Mobile worth it?

Postby Facade » 01 Feb 2014 20:51

i heard its a good "notepad" to write down melodies when you aren't around your computer but that's all I've heard
https://facadeofages.bandcamp.com/album ... o-the-dark
Spoiler Quotes:
DerpyGrooves wrote:The secret to a good song has everything to do with the relationship of the verse and the chorus to one another

ONEHOODASSPONY wrote:Image
Facade

Primary: Fl11 + Lsdj
Cutie Mark: None

Postby Injustrial » 01 Feb 2014 21:39

I've got it, and let me tell you, it's fiddly and annoying as hell! Buuuuut.... for a person not being able to translate my thoughts into score without hearing it first, it's pretty cool. I mostly use the drum sequencer to make beats, and experiment with basslines. Stand Your Ground started its life on FL Mobile, the bassline and the kick pattern were done in my lunch break.

It's pretty good for mapping out chord progressions and simple ideas, but try making an arpeggio pattern, and you'll put your foot through your tablet in frustration...
Injustrial

Primary: FL Studio
Cutie Mark: Sh*t on Fire

Postby Mr. Bigglesworth » 01 Feb 2014 22:10

Not even slightly. It's clunky to use and otherwise just kinda useless. I've used it all of 3 times out of boredom and nothing usable came out of it.
I'm not here anymore, but if you want you can still just call me Mr. BigBagelBoggle!

Sound
Face
You
Mr. Bigglesworth

Cutie Mark: My own ass

Postby itroitnyah » 01 Feb 2014 23:22

Filthy mobile casual. Lel, anyways...

It does seem like it'd just be good for goofing off and making little goofy projects that may or may not blossom into full song ideas. However, it can be also very stupid because mobile tablets and phones weren't built for music production beyond connecting a DJ Deck or MIDI keyboard that is built for tablets. Using the instrument samples to create little goofy loops would be its' only purpose. Applying effects and plugins would probably kill the processor and using too many samples would kill the ram, most likely.
Image Image I am no longer an active member. here
My studio: [List of equipment]
itroitnyah

Primary: FL Studio 11
Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Postby ExoBassTix » 02 Feb 2014 05:46

I've had it myself, and found it didn't help one bit.
I write melodies in my notes app. (Sorry, I got absolute hearing.)

IL Remote would be better if anything :P haven't tried it yet though, since I don't yet use FL11.
It looks like TouchOSC though, only easier to customize, and with more options. Only IL Remote only works with FL11, TouchOSC works with any DAW that accepts MIDI input.
Collecting dust...

Dieselminded drifter dodging delirium in daunting dreamscapes.
ExoBassTix

Primary: FL Studio 20
Cutie Mark: a crystal waterphone

Postby R1der » 04 Feb 2014 20:00

I find it beneficial to play around with for those unfortunately often moments where I have an idea and can't get to my programs. It's pretty good for writing a beat you came up with or a bassline, anything more complicated than that is where it becomes difficult to use for me!
R1der

Primary: FL Studio 11
Cutie Mark: Clarinet

Postby XXDarkShadow79XX » 07 Feb 2014 20:27

I use it every now and then, but mostly for fun. It's really your call. If you want a notepad to quickly jot down ideas on the fly, then this is perfect. If you prefer to have the full range of parameters and plugins available when you write, then obviously this is a complete waste. I fall somewhere in between, and I don't regret the purchase.
XXDarkShadow79XX

Primary: FL

Postby senntenial » 22 Feb 2014 12:31

If you're not running a tablet, don't buy it. It's incredibly useless with a small screen, and if you have real FL Studio you'll be kind of unhappy with the purchase IMO. It's still very limited and functions as a glorified sampler - just an okay toy, I guess. Actually this makes me wanna do a review.
My website with free music resources
18 year old full stack web dev and designer
senntenial
Global Moderator

Cutie Mark: ponies are for losers

Postby Navron » 22 Feb 2014 18:16

It's fun to waste time with, and/or annoy your coworkers at work. As for real production, it's not very viable at all.

I think it's excellent to quickly jot down musical ideas or even create a basic structure for a song, but no, I wouldn't ever consider using it to fully produce a song, and IIRC, it wasn't intended to be used for full production anyway.
DAW: Cubase 6.5, Ableton Live 8
Preferred Genre: Industrial/Trance
Hardware: Schecter Diamond Series Bass, Yamaha Acoustic Guitar, BP355 Effects Pedal, Keystudio 49K Keyboard, Akai APC40, Korg nanoKEY2 25k Keyboard
Navron
Global Moderator

Primary: Cubase 6.5

Postby senntenial » 22 Feb 2014 22:30

In contrast (and somewhat of a completely different product [though still worth mentioning]) is the fantastic IL Remote, which integrates seamlessly into FL.
My website with free music resources
18 year old full stack web dev and designer
senntenial
Global Moderator

Cutie Mark: ponies are for losers

Postby TheLydeOctave » 30 Mar 2014 23:42

nothing mobile is really worth it
TheLydeOctave

Cutie Mark: ponies are dumb

Return to Resources, Software, and Mixing Advice