Kontakt Library Walkthroughs

Sample Packs? VSTs? DAWs? EQ? What DOES the knee on the Compressor do? All computer-related music making topics belong here!

Which library would you like to see a walk through of?

Adagietto
No votes
Adagio Basses
No votes
Adagio Cellos
No votes
Adagio Violas
No votes
Adagio Violins
No votes
Hybrid Tools 2
No votes
Damage
71%
Action Strings
14%
Evolve + Mutations 1 & 2
14%
Session Strings Pro
No votes

Total votes : 7

Kontakt Library Walkthroughs

Postby Conduit » 16 Dec 2013 21:55

Hey guys,

I've been planning to do some walkthroughs / reviews of some Kontakt libraries in the near future. Would you rather see brief reviews running around 10 minutes, or more in depth hour-ish long ones that go into detail for most of the patches, as well as how I would use it in a song? If I do the long ones I'll make sure to write out a plan before hand so that it doesn't get boring, or repetitious. I listed the libraries I own that I think have enough depth to be worth reviewing, but if you want to see something that I haven't listed I'll see if I can pick up a copy of it sometime.

Feel free to comment what you would like to see, or things you think are missing in most reviews and I'll try my best to include them. This will be my first time doing anything like this so I need all the help I can get.

List of libraries in the poll in case you want to listen to them before deciding:

8Dio:
Adagietto
Adagio Basses
Adagio Cellos
Adagio Violas
Adagio Violins
Hybrid Tools 2
Native Instruments / Heavyocity:
Damage
Action Strings
Evolve + Mutations 1&2
Session Strings Pro
https://soundcloud.com/flatflish/a-warm-past

DAW: Logic 9
Vst's: Absynth, Battery, FM8, Guitar Rig, Kontakt, Massive, Maschine
Real Instruments: Acoustic/Electric Guitar, Cello, Piano

YoutubeSoundcloudTutors ThreadSkype: FlatflishImage
Conduit

Primary: Logic Pro 9
Cutie Mark: Strings

Re: Kontakt Library Walkthroughs

Postby CitricAcid » 17 Dec 2013 08:36

The Evolve libraries are the only ones I've ever considered getting. I would like to see how libraries like these can be used in a fashion that blends well with other instruments, particularly as background elements. Too often I hear people using sounds from libraries like these as foreground elements, and their music just screams, "Listen to these cool sounds I bought!" and never sounds particularly original.

Personally I wouldn't get much use out of a walkthrough of string libraries, since they all boil down to "play it like a string player would" regardless of what features they have. I do wonder how the 8Dio strings compare to LASS or East West's Hollywood Strings, since those are currently on my wish list.

Keep the demos short, under 10 minutes or even less if possible. The average internet viewer, myself included, has a short attention span for listening to people talk. Have demos already made up in MIDI ready to play and tweak in real time. Dedicate more time to playing the library, doing A-B comparisons, etc. than actually talking. I hate when I have to skip through 5 minutes of someone monologuing about technical specs or whatever before they actually start playing the instrument.
Image Image Image
CitricAcid

Primary: Cubase
Cutie Mark: Music scroll

Postby Conduit » 17 Dec 2013 19:38

CitricAcid wrote:I would like to see how libraries like these can be used in a fashion that blends well with other instruments, particularly as background elements.

I'll try my best to strike a balance between showing off the sounds, and including them like you would if you were actually using them in a track. I'm thinking doing a comparison of the library naked, no effects or other sounds, with a dressed version.

CitricAcid wrote:Keep the demos short, under 10 minutes or even less if possible. The average internet viewer, myself included, has a short attention span for listening to people talk. Have demos already made up in MIDI ready to play and tweak in real time.

I'll try my best to keep things as short as possible, but I absolutely hate it when people make reviews or walkthroughs that barely scratch the surface of the libraries content. Perhaps I could do a longer full walk-through of all the sounds, and a short review in two different videos. I'm switching to Ableton 9 soon, and the Session view should make playing midi demos really easy.

CitricAcid wrote:Dedicate more time to playing the library, doing A-B comparisons, etc. than actually talking.

What do you mean A-B comparisons? Like between different libraries or what?

Also, it looks like Damage is winning for the first walkthrough, but I'm waiting until I get my new computer set up before doing these since I don't think my current set-up could handle capturing the screen while using Logic.

Conduit

Postby CitricAcid » 17 Dec 2013 20:33

Conduit wrote:What do you mean A-B comparisons? Like between different libraries or what?

You could do A-B comparisons of what a track sounds like with and without the sounds of the library or what the library sounds like with and without rest of the track. (While the track is playing periodically mute one or the other, so we can hear what exactly is being added.) Usually this is done with demoing effects, but can work with instruments too depending on how the instrument is being used. Or you could do comparisons of the library with and without effects applied and/or parameters tweaked. Just some ideas.
Image Image Image
CitricAcid

Primary: Cubase
Cutie Mark: Music scroll

Postby Callenby » 17 Dec 2013 20:42

Make sure you're not just rehashing things that can already be found on the official page or by third party musicians like Daniel James. Speaking of Mr. James, I think his is a good style to emulate. He's in-depth but provides humor and a lot of examples of the things he is discussing.

In fact, I also think long-form videos such as his are better. If I'm seeking out a tutorial then I want as much covered as possible (but, and here's the catch, still very concise), and if I don't have the attention span to watch the tutorial I sought out that explains things I want to know, then I think that's really my own problem. Just make sure to cut out any fluff and it will be as long as it needs to be.
"Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist." - Pablo Picasso
Free online classes (including music) can be found here. Credit for my avatar goes to Lolo.

Tumblr / YouTube / Soundcloud
Callenby

Primary: Cubase 7.5
Cutie Mark: Double bass clef heart

Postby Conduit » 17 Dec 2013 20:45

Callenby wrote:Make sure you're not just rehashing things that can already be found on the official page or by third party musicians like Daniel James. Speaking of Mr. James, I think his is a good style to emulate. He's in-depth but provides humor and a lot of examples of the things he is discussing.

In fact, I also think long-form videos such as his are better. If I'm seeking out a tutorial then I want as much covered as possible (but, and here's the catch, still very concise), and if I don't have the attention span to watch the tutorial I sought out that explains things I want to know, then I think that's really my own problem. Just make sure to cut out any fluff and it will be as long as it needs to be.

I've watched a few of his walkthroughs, and I like how much he covers, but he never has a plan and forgets where he is a lot. Its gets pretty annoying when you watch him do basically the same thing for 10 minutes. I searched and I couldn't find any good walkthroughs of 8Dio stuff, other then whats on their page, or Damage/Evolve, which is why those are on the list.

Conduit

Postby Conduit » 17 Dec 2013 20:46

CitricAcid wrote:
Conduit wrote:What do you mean A-B comparisons? Like between different libraries or what?

You could do A-B comparisons of what a track sounds like with and without the sounds of the library or what the library sounds like with and without rest of the track. (While the track is playing periodically mute one or the other, so we can hear what exactly is being added.) Usually this is done with demoing effects, but can work with instruments too depending on how the instrument is being used. Or you could do comparisons of the library with and without effects applied and/or parameters tweaked. Just some ideas.

I already had plans to do this :D. Good to know that others feel that's as helpful as I do.

Conduit

Return to Resources, Software, and Mixing Advice