Help With Melodyne

Sample Packs? VSTs? DAWs? EQ? What DOES the knee on the Compressor do? All computer-related music making topics belong here!

Help With Melodyne

Postby hottoast16 » 14 Dec 2013 15:50

Greetings, MLR.

I am trying to compose a vocal track with melodyne vst and ableton. I have the vocals cut and split onto a midi track. I insert midi notes and then tune the vocals with melodyne. My problem is I don't know what the track is going to sound like when it's finished, so I'll import part of the audio into melodyne and tune it, but when I try to add more audio to it later melodyne deletes the tunings and I have to do them over again.

This normally wouldn't be a problem but the vocal track I am making is very long (+5 mins) so I can't just keep starting over again. Right now it seems like my only option is to import all of the audio at once and tune it without adding more audio later. I don't want to do this because if I need to change something later there goes hours of work.

Is there a way to record more audio in melodyne without deleting the tunings that are currently in it?
DAW: Ableton 8
Instruments: Clarinet, Ocarina, Midi keyboard
VST: Massive, FM8, Melodyne, Synth1, Ohmicide
hottoast16

Re: Help With Melodyne

Postby Conduit » 14 Dec 2013 18:55

Use a different track?

I don't know if there's any other ways to do it with melodyne, but from what I've used of it it seems like you import all the audio you want in one go. You could also bounce the edited track, which would allow you to keep only one instance of melodyne open, while still working on a single section at a time. This way you could just open the single bounced version into melodyne again later if you need to edit it.
https://soundcloud.com/flatflish/a-warm-past

DAW: Logic 9
Vst's: Absynth, Battery, FM8, Guitar Rig, Kontakt, Massive, Maschine
Real Instruments: Acoustic/Electric Guitar, Cello, Piano

YoutubeSoundcloudTutors ThreadSkype: FlatflishImage
Conduit

Primary: Logic Pro 9
Cutie Mark: Strings

Postby hottoast16 » 14 Dec 2013 20:13

Yeah that's what I figured. I tried freezing and flattening the midi track but there is no option to freeze and flatten only part of it, so it converts everything on the track. I didn't want to add more tracks because the project file is bloated enough as it is. The only other option I can think of is to bounce the audio and then clear the space so more audio can be imported into melodyne.

Thanks Conduit!
hottoast16

Postby hottoast16 » 14 Dec 2013 20:57

Oh duh! I just realized if I tuned my samples to the scale I'm using BEFORE slicing them to the midi track I wouldn't have to worry about tuning them again later.
hottoast16

Postby Conduit » 14 Dec 2013 21:07

No problem, glad you figured it out. I have next to no experience with melodyne, so sorry for not being more of a help.
https://soundcloud.com/flatflish/a-warm-past

DAW: Logic 9
Vst's: Absynth, Battery, FM8, Guitar Rig, Kontakt, Massive, Maschine
Real Instruments: Acoustic/Electric Guitar, Cello, Piano

YoutubeSoundcloudTutors ThreadSkype: FlatflishImage
Conduit

Primary: Logic Pro 9
Cutie Mark: Strings

Return to Resources, Software, and Mixing Advice