Is it worth getting Ableton 9 Suite

Sample Packs? VSTs? DAWs? EQ? What DOES the knee on the Compressor do? All computer-related music making topics belong here!

Is it worth getting Ableton 9 Suite

Postby Conduit » 13 Dec 2013 13:14

I recently bought a new computer, a PC, which will be a bit of a change from the Mac I'm working on right now. Currently I'm using Logic 9, although I used to use Ableton when a was first starting with music, and this new computer is giving me the excuse to switch back.

My question is:
Is it worth shelling out the extra cash for Ableton 9 Suite rather then the regular? I haven't done too much research, but it seems like the only difference between the two is a couple additional synths, samples and effects included in Suite. Is there anything included that you feel you couldn't work without?
https://soundcloud.com/flatflish/a-warm-past

DAW: Logic 9
Vst's: Absynth, Battery, FM8, Guitar Rig, Kontakt, Massive, Maschine
Real Instruments: Acoustic/Electric Guitar, Cello, Piano

YoutubeSoundcloudTutors ThreadSkype: FlatflishImage
Conduit

Primary: Logic Pro 9
Cutie Mark: Strings

Re: Is it worth getting Ableton 9 Suite

Postby Injustrial » 13 Dec 2013 13:42

I'm not familiar with the program myself, but I know of a few who are. According to them, they don't picture themselves buying the "Deluxe edition" as they have pretty much all they need in the standard package, and everything can usually be done through third party alternatives. Depends on whether you feel you really like the stock extras or not, I guess
Injustrial

Primary: FL Studio
Cutie Mark: Sh*t on Fire

Postby itroitnyah » 13 Dec 2013 14:56

Depends on what synths come with it. Try downloading the synth demos and seeing how well you like them. If you really like them, go ahead and get the suite version.

Otherwise, if you want to stay with Logic, you could try dualbooting your computer. I don't know how, but there are certainly some tutorials online.
Image Image I am no longer an active member. here
My studio: [List of equipment]
itroitnyah

Primary: FL Studio 11
Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Postby Injustrial » 13 Dec 2013 15:14

Dualbooting would probably tax your CPU pretty hard. Make sure you've got a powerful, well cooled piece of hardware before going that route
Injustrial

Cutie Mark: Sh*t on Fire

Postby HMage » 13 Dec 2013 15:17

Conduit wrote:Is it worth shelling out the extra cash for Ableton 9 Suite rather then the regular?

No.

I own Ableton and I haven't ever ever ever ever had a need for something that was in Suite.
HMage

Primary: Ableton
Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Postby Alycs » 13 Dec 2013 15:23

I only have used Ableton in its demo, but I've done a lot of research into the program (I've thought about switching many many times) and from what I've seen, with the type of music you make, and with the amount of VST's and instruments you already have, you should be fine and dandy with just the regular version.
Soundcloud||Tumblr||Youtube||Graphics||Bandcamp
Freewave wrote:being too critical can make you too critical
Alycs

Cutie Mark: ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Postby Conduit » 13 Dec 2013 20:27

itroitnyah wrote:Otherwise, if you want to stay with Logic, you could try dualbooting your computer. I don't know how, but there are certainly some tutorials online.

I'm fine with moving away from Logic, I originally got it because it's what I college I'm going to attend is using, and it was cheaper then buying a legit copy of Live. Now that I'm pretty comfortable with Logic's workflow I'm gonna move back to Live which I honestly prefer. Dual-booting would also slow down my computer a lot, and I'm going to try to install as little as possible to keep it going speedmaximum.

Thanks for the replies everyone, looks like I'll be grabbing the normal version pretty soon. They have a really good student discount btw, somewhere between 20% and 40% off I believe.
https://soundcloud.com/flatflish/a-warm-past

DAW: Logic 9
Vst's: Absynth, Battery, FM8, Guitar Rig, Kontakt, Massive, Maschine
Real Instruments: Acoustic/Electric Guitar, Cello, Piano

YoutubeSoundcloudTutors ThreadSkype: FlatflishImage
Conduit

Primary: Logic Pro 9
Cutie Mark: Strings

Return to Resources, Software, and Mixing Advice