Headroom

Sample Packs? VSTs? DAWs? EQ? What DOES the knee on the Compressor do? All computer-related music making topics belong here!

Headroom

Postby Injustrial » 21 Nov 2013 19:09

Moved this from the Music Theory Thread. Seemed more fitting here.

So, I've heard from many sources that you're supposed to leave yourself about 3 db headroom when mixing your track, but whatever you do, do NOT do this with a master limiter or reduction in the master bus gain.

Could someone explain to me why not? What happens if I just reduce the master slider instead of lowering the volume of all components one by one (Which can get really tedious, really fast)
Injustrial

Primary: FL Studio
Cutie Mark: Sh*t on Fire

Re: Headroom

Postby the4thImpulse » 21 Nov 2013 20:12

3-12 dB, there is no rule or right or wrong level, 3-12 is the range in which most people will tell you to leave it at (i personally stay in between 3 and 6). The reason for this is mastering, if your mix is already floored to 0 you can't increase any frequencies with an EQ or through multi and compression. keeping it low gives the mastering engineer more options and freedom.

Moving the master down does essentially do the same trick, it is not preferred due to the old methods of mixing. When I go to mix my track I move all the faders to 0 and slowly move each up. Starting with kick/snare and bass, moving to vocals and lead lines and ending with the rest of the drums and whatever else I have. Aiming the mix to be in the range of 3-12 dB of headroom.

Now something that I've been told but have not personally experienced is digital clipping, if you turn the master up so the signal is above 0db you get those obvious clipping sounds. What some have told me is clipping on the individual faders can harm the sound in the same way clipping on the master harms the sound, even when the master itself isn't clipping. Is always a good rule to never let a single track clip, if you have to turn down the master fader to prevent the master from clipping than do it.

As a side note, in the analog realm turning down the master because the mix is too hot will decrease your signal to noise ratio. In digital the signal/noise ratio is never a problem unless you recorded analog sounds (microphones) with poor gain settings. Turning down the master only to turn it up in mastering is like turning the noise floor louder, mix it better, record it better.
the4thImpulse

Primary: Ableton Live 8
Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Postby itroitnyah » 21 Nov 2013 21:38

Yeah, a lot of what 4th said.

I don't see why you couldn't move the master volume slider to give yourself more headroom, but I tend not to because idk why. It's just not something that you're really supposed to do when mixing, and I have no idea why or who told me.

As for the limiter on the master channel (I don't think you're asking about this, but you have it in there so I'm just being sure), it'll cause a bunch of ducking of the volume overall whenever something tries to go over 0dB. Definitely isn't good, and it distorts the sound some.
Image Image I am no longer an active member. here
My studio: [List of equipment]
itroitnyah

Primary: FL Studio 11

Postby HMage » 22 Nov 2013 09:11

Another reason to stay away from having separate channels go above 0dBFS is that any VST effect you put in the chain has the capability to clip at 0dBFS. Most Waves plugins do that — they will clip incoming signal, apply processing, then clip output too.

Best you avoid that and never have signal go red. That's why it's coloured red — you're away from safe zone,
HMage

Primary: Ableton

Postby Injustrial » 24 Nov 2013 14:19

I think the question has been answered. At least well enough for me. Thanks, guys!
Injustrial

Primary: FL Studio
Cutie Mark: Sh*t on Fire

Return to Resources, Software, and Mixing Advice