EDIT: What music program do you prefer?

Sample Packs? VSTs? DAWs? EQ? What DOES the knee on the Compressor do? All computer-related music making topics belong here!

Re: EDIT: What music program do you prefer?

Postby Alycs » 11 Dec 2013 10:27

Almost all my the orchestral stuff is made with EWQL Symphonic Silver (and some free soundfonts). I use Massive for the majority of my electronic stuff, with Sytrus for soundscapes and some growls. However, I still keep LMMS on my computer because I occasionally make loops with ZynAddSubFX for stabs and pads (because while massive is good, for somethings you just can't beat 8 fully and separately customizable additive AND subtractive wavetables).
Soundcloud||Tumblr||Youtube||Graphics||Bandcamp
Freewave wrote:being too critical can make you too critical
Alycs

Primary: FL Studio
Cutie Mark: ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Postby Docinterlude » 15 Dec 2013 08:45

Sibelius, Reaper and Cubase all the way throught!
I am composing a few songs:

Deep Emotions: Piano, Bass Clarinet and Trumpet in Bb. (Started)
Docinterlude

Primary: Sibelius 7, Reaper
Cutie Mark: Piano and Composition

Postby HMage » 15 Dec 2013 19:32

iTunes

^___________________^
HMage

Primary: Ableton
Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Postby Captain Jack3h » 19 Dec 2013 14:42

Logic is also pretty cool but I haven't gotten to use it that much

When I upgrade should I get Reason or Logic?
Captain Jack3h

Primary: CASETTE TAPES AWWW YEAH
Cutie Mark: Broken Orange Record

Postby CaptainFluffatun » 19 Dec 2013 16:16

I prefer Cubase for orchestral music and FL Studio for electronic stuff. The workflow of each just makes sense to me for the respective genres.

Captain Jack3h wrote:Logic is also pretty cool but I haven't gotten to use it that much

When I upgrade should I get Reason or Logic?

Try out demos of both and see which one you like more.
CaptainFluffatun

Primary: Cubase 5
Cutie Mark: Orchestral

Postby Navron » 19 Dec 2013 18:25

Each professional level DAW has it's upsides and downsides. Which one you choose is largely based on what you want to do in the future.

Logic - Great for Mac users.
Cubase - 50/50. Good for VSTs. Good for live audio. Excelling in neither.
Pro Tools - Excellent for live audio. Not so excellent for largely electronic/VST projects.
Reason - Great plugins. No 3rd party VST support.
Ableton - Excellent for live performance. Handles large projects. Too many mediocre plugins.
FL Studio - Excellent for electronic/VST projects. Not so excellent for live audio.

Think those are the main big ones. As you can see, each DAW comes with it's own pros and cons, so it's largely dependent on what kind of music you want to make. If you want to produce an album with live guitars, singers, etc, it wouldn't be wise to go with FL Studio, because working with live audio can be a pain, and the tools for manipulating audio are nothing compared to Pro Tools. Likewise, if you want to do strictly electronic music, it wouldn't be wise to go with Pro Tools.

I use Cubase because it gives me a decent workflow for both worlds.
DAW: Cubase 6.5, Ableton Live 8
Preferred Genre: Industrial/Trance
Hardware: Schecter Diamond Series Bass, Yamaha Acoustic Guitar, BP355 Effects Pedal, Keystudio 49K Keyboard, Akai APC40, Korg nanoKEY2 25k Keyboard
Navron
Global Moderator

Primary: Cubase 6.5

Postby Injustrial » 20 Dec 2013 22:55

Just out of curiosity: People always tell me that FL shouldn't be used for recording of live audio. But why? What's in Pro Tools that I can't do in FL?
Injustrial

Cutie Mark: Sh*t on Fire

Postby HMage » 21 Dec 2013 07:51

Injustrial wrote:Just out of curiosity: People always tell me that FL shouldn't be used for recording of live audio. But why? What's in Pro Tools that I can't do in FL?

Magic.
HMage

Primary: Ableton
Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Postby Navron » 21 Dec 2013 16:42

Injustrial wrote:Just out of curiosity: People always tell me that FL shouldn't be used for recording of live audio. But why? What's in Pro Tools that I can't do in FL?

You can achieve many of the same things in each DAW. It's the workflow that matters.

For example, Cubase has the sample editor window. All I do is double click a piece of audio, and I'm in the magical world of the sample editor, where I can:

- Adjust the tempo, stretch algorithm, or set musical mode to have it match the bpm of the project.
- Manually adjust grid hit-points in order to perfectly line up a song with the project.
- Create slices from hitpoints (useful for chopping drum loops into individual samples.)
- Use VariAudio to pitch correct vocals, instruments, or export detected note data as MIDI note information w/ pitch bend.
- Manually zoom in and edit individual samples to eliminate pops, hisses, etc.
- Quantize audio and/or alter the groove of any sample.

If you wanted to do any of this in FL, most of it would have to be done manually, or in a separate program like Audacity or Melodyne. Cubase has all these functions built into a single interface directly within the program itself.

Pro Tools has even more options for manipulating samples, which is why it's often the go-to DAW for live recording.
DAW: Cubase 6.5, Ableton Live 8
Preferred Genre: Industrial/Trance
Hardware: Schecter Diamond Series Bass, Yamaha Acoustic Guitar, BP355 Effects Pedal, Keystudio 49K Keyboard, Akai APC40, Korg nanoKEY2 25k Keyboard
Navron
Global Moderator

Primary: Cubase 6.5

Postby Injustrial » 21 Dec 2013 16:48

That seems fair enough, but FL does have bot Slicex, Edison and Newtone which can do what you're describing here. They are however three separate plugins, even if they're bundled in the program, so if Cubase and Pro Tools does that in one window, I can definitely see the appeal.
Injustrial

Cutie Mark: Sh*t on Fire

Postby TheAirHideous » 22 Dec 2013 11:54

*sigh*

My 'choice' of DAWs isn't one at all, just things I'm required to use given the amount of money I have.

So I've been using LMMS on and off for about 2 years now, and I haven't noticed any improvement in actually producing, only the way in which my music is structured (I started as a complete newbie to music in general, and at present only play the piano to an intermediate standard). I have no real genre that anything I make fits into largely because of this, so most of my music is just fiddling around with a TripleOscillator until I get something that sounds half decent and then rolling with it. I have attempted on numerous occasions to create genres like house and hardstyle with no real success, which just leads me to frustration.

I've also recently taken up rapping, however this too is an endeavour which doesn't seem to be very fruitful, largely due to my inability to mix in Audacity. My main problem here is that I can't hear what changes I'm making to the vocals as I'm making them, so I'm unable to properly find the settings for compression and equalisation that sound the best, which on numerous occasions leads me to ragequit, as it were, and just leave the vocals without any alteration. My microphones also aren't the best quality in the world (they're Shure PG58's) but I should be able to remedy that problem soon enough, if luck's in my favour.

tl;dr freeware frustration and an inability to learn.
TheAirHideous

Primary: LMMS (I'm so sorry)
Cutie Mark: Upper mordant.

Postby ILM126 » 01 May 2014 00:43

I use FL Studio for a two reasons:
-It seams to be easier to use than other programs that I have used(but I still need to try Ableton)
-It was suggested by friends

I know that is not a lot of reasons why I use it (I'm still new to this music community)
I have heard for my other friends that use Ableton and they keep telling me to change. I feel divided.
If you know a music making program that is easy to make, PM me.
ILM126

Cutie Mark: A trebleclef with a paintbrush

Postby Mr. Bigglesworth » 02 May 2014 18:57

Please don't necro old threads. But to answer your question, I'd stick with FL Studio for a while. It's fine for electronic and vst stuff, and tbh getting ableton is just more money you might not need to spend (unless you pirate it, in which case shame on you).
I'm not here anymore, but if you want you can still just call me Mr. BigBagelBoggle!

Sound
Face
You
Mr. Bigglesworth

Cutie Mark: My own ass

Previous

Return to Resources, Software, and Mixing Advice