please help with massive

Sample Packs? VSTs? DAWs? EQ? What DOES the knee on the Compressor do? All computer-related music making topics belong here!

please help with massive

Postby iloveapplejack » 31 Oct 2013 11:39

hi, im nedw. but im having problems with massive from image line. Im trying to make my own waveform, but when i use the drop down menu, all i see are things like "scream" or "daft' so i dont kno w what those mean. Im trying to make the same bass that skrillex used in first of the year, and i know that he usues massive a lot, so Im trying to do that.

how do i fix massive so i can sample my own waveform? Also , what does the scream oscillator do? because when i put it on it doesnt sound different, the only way i can get it to sound different is if i turn up 'volum' to 'maximum' and then i get a neat crunchy noise. im sure i will use that later, but right now i just want to learn how to make the skrillex noise. thank you so much ! sorry if i have bad english, i have dyslexia (-:
iloveapplejack

Primary: applejack
Cutie Mark: applejack

Re: please help with massive

Postby RarityTheFabulous » 31 Oct 2013 13:06

PM me or shoot me a message on Skype (justin.pruitt)

I've used Massive for a while now and I can probably answer any questions you may have. You seem fairly new to the whole thing, and if there's anything you need, eery and I love to help newbies.
RarityTheFabulous

Primary: FL Studio
Cutie Mark: eery eating a pomegranate

Postby Conduit » 31 Oct 2013 13:22

I'm not sure if this is serious, I'm pretty sure it's not, but really please try to figure stuff out yourself before posting for help.

The filters clearly say filter right next to where you pick them, there's no way you could confuse them for oscillators, which are marked osc.

eery pointed out the other things, and there are plenty of massive tutorials around, especially for skrillex noises.
https://soundcloud.com/flatflish/a-warm-past

DAW: Logic 9
Vst's: Absynth, Battery, FM8, Guitar Rig, Kontakt, Massive, Maschine
Real Instruments: Acoustic/Electric Guitar, Cello, Piano

YoutubeSoundcloudTutors ThreadSkype: FlatflishImage
Conduit

Primary: Logic Pro 9
Cutie Mark: Strings

Postby iloveapplejack » 31 Oct 2013 15:46

Ironhelm, can you explain those links? When i go to them it says the website is blocked in my country,. do you know any other place where i can get to the information you listed? thank you.

and ok! thats what i meant. I dont want to draw my own oscillator, i want to draw my own filter. sorry for mixing those up. is there a way to do this, or is the filter not image line too?
iloveapplejack

Postby itroitnyah » 31 Oct 2013 16:11

You can't draw the filter either. What type of filter do you want to draw?
Image Image I am no longer an active member. here
My studio: [List of equipment]
itroitnyah

Primary: FL Studio 11
Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Postby Captain Ironhelm » 31 Oct 2013 16:22

iloveapplejack wrote:Ironhelm, can you explain those links? When i go to them it says the website is blocked in my country,. do you know any other place where i can get to the information you listed? thank you.

my bad! I fixed my original post, and here's them again:

https://www.google.com/search?btnG=1&pws=0&q=native+instruments+massive+manual+pdf

https://www.google.com/search?btnG=1&pws=0&q=skrillex+growl+massive+youtube+tutorial
Captain Ironhelm

Postby Conduit » 31 Oct 2013 16:28

iloveapplejack wrote:is the filter not image line too?

Alright, this has to be a legendary troll. Though that was a pretty clever use of the name.

Just in case you're not, here's a quick explanation.
Almost everything about Massive can be found in it's guide. Read it.
Image Line is a company, like Native Instruments. Massive is made by NI, no part of it is "Image Line" and Image Line has nothing to do with drawing your own filters/oscillators/whatever.
https://soundcloud.com/flatflish/a-warm-past

DAW: Logic 9
Vst's: Absynth, Battery, FM8, Guitar Rig, Kontakt, Massive, Maschine
Real Instruments: Acoustic/Electric Guitar, Cello, Piano

YoutubeSoundcloudTutors ThreadSkype: FlatflishImage
Conduit

Primary: Logic Pro 9
Cutie Mark: Strings

Postby iloveapplejack » 31 Oct 2013 18:00

clever? ok.
anyway, im sorry to bother people, the manuel is long, and im sure none of you have read all of it either, it is also very difficult for me to read sometimes and i was looking for a quicker answer, but i guess if this is it that will do and i thank mlr!!

also i think i get it now, Native instruments is the instrument I am using, and Image line is the the maker of DAWs like FL studio and ableton?
iloveapplejack

Postby Injustrial » 31 Oct 2013 19:23

Yes. Almost. Native instruments are the company behind Massive and Image Line made FL Studio. Ableton Live is probably made by..... Ableton? Help me out here, guys
Injustrial

Primary: FL Studio
Cutie Mark: Sh*t on Fire

Postby itroitnyah » 31 Oct 2013 21:29

Injustrial wrote:Yes. Almost. Native instruments are the company behind Massive and Image Line made FL Studio. Ableton Live is probably made by..... Ableton? Help me out here, guys
Yeah, the companies name is pretty much just Ableton.

Alright, here's a quick understanding thing for you iloveapplejack:

FL Studio is developed by Image-Line.

FL Studio is a host for virtual synthesisers, midi files and samples and whatnot

Massive is developed by Native Instruments

Massive is a synthesizer, composed of oscillators, filters and plugin effects

Massive is something called a wavetable synthesizer, meaning the oscillators (which generate the noise on a synth) just read tiny little samples of waveforms.

You cannot edit these waveforms, or the filters

Fortunately, if you use the "Mix" slider next to the two filters in Massive, and then drag the slider of the second filter to the top position, you can combined the two filters, and as long as you know what the filters do separately, you can create almost any filter style you want.

im sorry to bother people, the manuel is long, and im sure none of you have read all of it either, it is also very difficult for me to read sometimes and i was looking for a quicker answer
It is understandable that the manual is long, and that sucks that you have a hard time reading sometimes. I personally read the manual to almost the full extent, but we will try to help you out as much as we can, regardless of whether you're a troll and I'm falling for your shenanigans or whatnot.
Also, does increasing the text size make it easier for you to read? Just testing this out.
Image Image I am no longer an active member. here
My studio: [List of equipment]
itroitnyah

Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Postby ArisingFlame » 01 Nov 2013 02:36

Also, to add, I signed up for a site (on which I will eventually buy the main tutorials) which I get semi-monthly emails from containing free tutorials on certain aspects and I've found them extremely helpful with understanding Massive more and more.
http://www.massivesynth.com/
My first (and so far, only) pony track!
https://soundcloud.com/dj-broken-top/my-little-pony-i-have-to

I'm always open to do vocals for peoples! Sing/scream/rap, whatever it may be, I'm open!
My Solo Soundcloud - My Electronic Solo Soundcloud - My EDM Group's Soundcloud
ArisingFlame

Cutie Mark: My Beard

Postby vladnuke » 01 Nov 2013 02:54

bro just fuck with it i guarantee you that if you mess around with it for more than a sec you'll figure it out yourself. like making synths is like makin babies, its p personal and although there are standardized techniques, dont be afraid to try smth new.
vladnuke

Return to Resources, Software, and Mixing Advice