AutoTune in Ableton?

Sample Packs? VSTs? DAWs? EQ? What DOES the knee on the Compressor do? All computer-related music making topics belong here!

AutoTune in Ableton?

Postby Blaze Chaser » 28 Oct 2013 15:15

Hey guys, I'm just wondering where I can get an appropriate Autotune plug-in for Ableton Live 9. And before all of you ask "Have you tried using vocoder?" I have considered it but I don't think it would bring the vocals out at all and when I want to sing... I want to sing! :grin: .Preferably I want to know how D.Notive processes his vocals cause that's the sort of auto tune or pitch correct I want to use.

https://soundcloud.com/blaze-chaser/up-in-da-clubs
Blaze Chaser

Primary: Ableton Live 9 Suite
Cutie Mark: Firebolt

Re: AutoTune in Ableton?

Postby itroitnyah » 28 Oct 2013 19:01

Ok, well you still can't sing good if you can't sing good, and auto tune won't fix that. Just thought I should warn you, since that's what I'm inferring from this. For autotuning vocals you want to look for a program sorta like Newtone or Pitcher (which are autotuning wares from Image-Line).

I don't know much about Ableton, so either you'll find them yourself by taking a look at what I've mentioned above and going "oh, I know the equivalent of that in Ableton" or somebody else will point you to the proper software.

Furthermore, you could definitely use vocoding and still manage to get the vocals to stand out as much as you please, based on the waveforms of the synth you're combining the vocals with and the mixing settings on the plugin that causes the vocoding to work. It just takes a bit of playing around with, that's all. Although if you still just want to use a regular autotuning software, that's fine too.
Image Image I am no longer an active member. here
My studio: [List of equipment]
itroitnyah

Primary: FL Studio 11
Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Postby Conduit » 28 Oct 2013 19:19

Most people tend to use Melodyne vocal pitching.
https://soundcloud.com/flatflish/a-warm-past

DAW: Logic 9
Vst's: Absynth, Battery, FM8, Guitar Rig, Kontakt, Massive, Maschine
Real Instruments: Acoustic/Electric Guitar, Cello, Piano

YoutubeSoundcloudTutors ThreadSkype: FlatflishImage
Conduit

Primary: Logic Pro 9
Cutie Mark: Strings

Postby the4thImpulse » 28 Oct 2013 19:40

Conduit wrote:Most people tend to use Melodyne vocal pitching.

Melodyne is great. I know ableton does not have any auto tune effects useful for vocals, the vocoder will only make you sound like a robot (think daft punk).
the4thImpulse

Primary: Ableton Live 8
Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Postby Blaze Chaser » 29 Oct 2013 04:55

Thank you guys for the reply's I am happy to have more feedback as I am getting stressed out over looking all over the internet to find good plug-ins. I'll give melodyne a try though :D Again I really appreciate the feedback :)
Blaze Chaser

Primary: Ableton Live 9 Suite
Cutie Mark: Firebolt

Postby R1der » 29 Oct 2013 09:08

4th Impulse hit the nail on the head with vococding vs pitch correction
Good luck with it!
R1der

Primary: FL Studio 11
Cutie Mark: Clarinet

Postby S.P.P » 29 Oct 2013 10:11

The industry stand is (or atleast was) Antares Autotune. This may have been out-done by Melodyne, which is another fantastic autotune plug-in. Unfortunately you'll need to sink a sizable wad of cash into either these (yarrr..).

As a little side-note, there's a difference between can't sing and struggle to keep on pitch. If you can hold notes and your tonality is good, you're just off pitch; then autotuning will set you right. If your voice just doesn't sound great, you can alter it and make it sound cool but unnatural via vocoding or using plug-ins like Bitspeek. (Bitspeek is not a vocoder, contrary to popular belief).
S.P.P

Primary: FL Studio, Ableton, Pro Tools

Return to Resources, Software, and Mixing Advice