Izotope Nectar (Vocal Mixing)

Sample Packs? VSTs? DAWs? EQ? What DOES the knee on the Compressor do? All computer-related music making topics belong here!

Izotope Nectar (Vocal Mixing)

Postby colortwelve » 04 Sep 2013 11:35

Recently I've been looking into how to really work with vocals, since I've got a lot of projects going on that call for it, and I found a plugin called Izotope Nectar. It looks like a pretty straightforward, compact vocal mixing suite, but I've always been leery of all-in-one style plugins, because I figure it's better to know how to work with individual components instead.

The thing is, I'm just now getting into properly working with vocals, so I'm wondering if I should take the time to come up with my own FX chains, or just dive into a program like this. Thoughts?
Youtube -- Soundcloud -- Tumblr -- Bandcamp (new album out!)

I can't feel my brain.
colortwelve

Re: Izotope Nectar (Vocal Mixing)

Postby Facade » 04 Sep 2013 11:38

i use izotope for auto tuning and it works well for me
https://facadeofages.bandcamp.com/album ... o-the-dark
Spoiler Quotes:
DerpyGrooves wrote:The secret to a good song has everything to do with the relationship of the verse and the chorus to one another

ONEHOODASSPONY wrote:Image
Facade

Primary: Fl11 + Lsdj
Cutie Mark: None

Postby vladnuke » 04 Sep 2013 13:18

ndru, i suggest melodyne, its the same price but has far more functionality. i mean, all i used on Spa Groove was eq and compression. Melodyne will let you fix a lot of recording mistakes. all you really need after that is a little more top end and a little compression.
vladnuke

Postby Freewave » 04 Sep 2013 18:11

is nectar really used for the same purposes as melodyne though? i know melodyne is a great for auto tune, pitch adjustment but what i've sene on nectar is its a whole vocal mixing suite that does a whole lot more then that.
Links for my music: YouTube, Bandcamp, and Tumblr
Check out the Brony Music Directory and FimMusic. A portal for all pony music
Support the 20+ Musician Maressey Project currently underway.
Freewave

Primary: Fl Studio 10
Cutie Mark: X$X

Postby vladnuke » 04 Sep 2013 18:21

nah its also good for making sure everything is the same level, eliminating transients, and generally fitting the vocals to the song. as for just proccessing and cleaning the vocals up, i cant see any reason you'd need a whole dedicated suite of tools just to do that, when EQ and compression exist.
vladnuke

Postby Freewave » 04 Sep 2013 18:29

vladnuke wrote:nah its also good for making sure everything is the same level, eliminating transients, and generally fitting the vocals to the song. as for just proccessing and cleaning the vocals up, i cant see any reason you'd need a whole dedicated suite of tools just to do that, when EQ and compression exist.

I dunno when i watch something like this.

It makes it look like having it in one comprehensive suite makes it a lot simpler and more powerful tbh.
Links for my music: YouTube, Bandcamp, and Tumblr
Check out the Brony Music Directory and FimMusic. A portal for all pony music
Support the 20+ Musician Maressey Project currently underway.
Freewave

Primary: Fl Studio 10
Cutie Mark: X$X

Postby vladnuke » 05 Sep 2013 00:01

ok if i could just have the pitch, breath control, and doubler effects from that, that would be nice. but then they couldnt sell it for $300.
vladnuke

Return to Resources, Software, and Mixing Advice