Online Musical Composition Program

Sample Packs? VSTs? DAWs? EQ? What DOES the knee on the Compressor do? All computer-related music making topics belong here!

Online Musical Composition Program

Postby MyLittleJosieph » 30 Aug 2013 17:34

How exactly does it work? What I mean by this type of software is a program that allows other users from across the globe to see and edit a project in real time. Even synchronize their performances to aid in recording. It would definitely help with collaboration projects and such since there wouldn't be a need for sending files from person to person.
Bigonkers!

Current Projects
the Harmonizer Projects
Harmonizer Project #1: Mother Changeling

Current Style
Loud
Obnoxious
MyLittleJosieph

Re: Online Musical Composition Program

Postby Conduit » 30 Aug 2013 18:22

MyLittleJosieph wrote:How exactly does it work?

It doesn't, because what your talking about doesn't currently exist. There are no DAWs that two people can edit in real time together, and people have a hard enough time getting their computers to run smoothly without having all that data constantly transferring across the globe.

From what I can tell this is the closest thing to that right now, but from what I remember it's super buggy, and overall really sub-par. I invite you to try it for yourself though, it was free last time I checked.
https://soundcloud.com/flatflish/a-warm-past

DAW: Logic 9
Vst's: Absynth, Battery, FM8, Guitar Rig, Kontakt, Massive, Maschine
Real Instruments: Acoustic/Electric Guitar, Cello, Piano

YoutubeSoundcloudTutors ThreadSkype: FlatflishImage
Conduit

Primary: Logic Pro 9
Cutie Mark: Strings

Postby itroitnyah » 30 Aug 2013 22:35

This is actually a really interesting concept that I had in mind for quite some time now.

To elaborate on my concept of this, involves Steam. Specifically because I know they're starting to add on some pieces of software, and I think I saw FL Studio on the Steam Greenlight thing.

But what I was thinking, is that all/most the DAW developing companies, image-line, steinberg, ableton, propellerhead, etc, write up a common file type that is understandable by all major daws involved. The file type would work somewhat like a .rar file, storing information into it that can be opened by a daw. To be more specific about how this would work, it would function like a storage, so that if you added a vocal sample to a song that you were working on, it would store the vocal sample in the common file, so that when you save the progress as the file type, it would create the route that the DAW accesses the vocal sample to automatically find the sample inside of the file type. It would also autosave synth presets that would correlate to synth positions in the other person's DAW as well, so that if you created a new instance of Sytrus, it would automatically autosave the preset and add the synth data to the file type, opening it in the other person's daw as well. Here's where Steam comes in. Steam would use it's servers, or if you wanted to use your own server to host it you could, but the file type would essentially upload the change you made to the server, and an encryption key inside of the file would allow for the server to track other of these file types with the same encryption key and apply the changes to the other same files as well. So if you were viewing a friend's profile on Steam and this friend had, Ableton, and you had FL, or any other combination of DAWs, there would be a "Collaborate" button of sorts that would send an invitation to collab with the person on steam, and then you both would get the same file, changes would be uploaded and displayed in real time, etc. Or if you don't want to use the internet, you can find the file on your computer, put it on a flashdrive, and then give it to your friend who uses a different DAW and they'd be able to modify the file however they want, and give it back to you to make changes to as you wish.

The main problems I can find with this idea are that, 1) the common file sizes would be pretty large, probably ranging from a few mb to 10gb+, depending on the synths and samples you used. 2) It would function a bit slowly depending on the server speed and the internet speed of both users, seeing as if one user adds a 32mb large .wav sample or something, it would take a while for the changes to be made to the files and such. 3) Getting the pattern placement, sequencers, virtual mixers, piano rolls and such to transfer over DAWs would be very complicated and difficult. Afterall, software is one of the most complex things the human mind has ever come up with. 4) You would not be capable of using one of your synths if the other person does not have the same synth. This could be a problem if you have FL and they have Cubase, and the only synth you both share is NI Massive, and you don't want to make an entire song using Massive. This could benefit the synth market though, as it would encourage people to buy more synths.

So my idea has a lot of ups and downs, it wouldn't necessarily have to use steam, it could just sorta make your own computer a connection between where the other file type is, and sync encryption keys. Copy pasta the file and it'll automatically connect the new file to the current ones, allowing for more than one person to join in. The downsides all seem to have solutions that would take some time to fix, but be capable of fixing, you all get the idea.
Image Image I am no longer an active member. here
My studio: [List of equipment]
itroitnyah

Primary: FL Studio 11
Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Postby Conchetupony » 31 Aug 2013 13:50

Conduit wrote:From what I can tell this is the closest thing to that right now, but from what I remember it's super buggy, and overall really sub-par. I invite you to try it for yourself though, it was free last time I checked.

Was about to post this, haven't tried it though
oops I dropped the bass

will you pick it up for me
Conchetupony

Primary: Ardour 3.3.1
Cutie Mark: Mindlessly rocking out

Postby JSynth » 31 Aug 2013 15:03

I am a little confused on what the OP is asking. It would help if he elaborated a little.
https://soundcloud.com/jasper-synth/back-at-me
Jokeblue wrote:You fool. You've doomed the Spam thread to yet another, inevitable :3 spam.

My Tumblr
My YouTube
My SoundCloud

DAW: Logic Pro 9
Plugins: Sylenth, Sausage Fattener, Komplete 9, NI The Mouth, Ozone 5, Bitspeek
JSynth

Primary: Logic 9
Cutie Mark: yo face

Postby Freewave » 31 Aug 2013 18:22

You start a topic about something you should explain what it is and try to link to it as well. Bad thread so far, lol.
Links for my music: YouTube, Bandcamp, and Tumblr
Check out the Brony Music Directory and FimMusic. A portal for all pony music
Support the 20+ Musician Maressey Project currently underway.
Freewave

Primary: Fl Studio 10
Cutie Mark: X$X

Postby MyLittleJosieph » 31 Aug 2013 18:39

JSynth wrote:I am a little confused on what the OP is asking. It would help if he elaborated a little.

Basically, what I'm asking is if there is a program specifically set up for other users to work on the same musical project without having to file share massive files. If there wasn't one I would have then suggested if it was possible to make one. From what I have seen of Ohmstudio while it looks promising it also seems rather unstable. Like it's trying to do too much at once.

Freewave wrote:You start a topic about something you should explain what it is and try to link to it as well. Bad thread so far, lol.

Yeah, it's been a while.

Given that at the time I didn't know about Ohmstudio I was unable to link to it as well. My bad. XD
Bigonkers!

Current Projects
the Harmonizer Projects
Harmonizer Project #1: Mother Changeling

Current Style
Loud
Obnoxious
MyLittleJosieph

Postby Conchetupony » 01 Sep 2013 10:18

If all you need is a MIDI-like score and don't need you and the other user to work at the same time, there's Noteflight.

Audiotool might let you do something similar with synth and drum machine sims, but I'm not sure. I do remember that you can link people to your tracks and let them remix them, at least.

You could just share stems while chatting as well.
oops I dropped the bass

will you pick it up for me
Conchetupony

Primary: Ardour 3.3.1
Cutie Mark: Mindlessly rocking out

Return to Resources, Software, and Mixing Advice