A video tutorial on recording vocals.

Sample Packs? VSTs? DAWs? EQ? What DOES the knee on the Compressor do? All computer-related music making topics belong here!

A video tutorial on recording vocals.

Postby JSynth » 21 Aug 2013 20:51

So, I know I just questioned this guys philosophy on production. However, I clicked on this video in the recommended feed and found it to be quite useful.

https://soundcloud.com/jasper-synth/back-at-me
Jokeblue wrote:You fool. You've doomed the Spam thread to yet another, inevitable :3 spam.

My Tumblr
My YouTube
My SoundCloud

DAW: Logic Pro 9
Plugins: Sylenth, Sausage Fattener, Komplete 9, NI The Mouth, Ozone 5, Bitspeek
JSynth

Primary: Logic 9
Cutie Mark: yo face

Re: A video tutorial on recording vocals.

Postby the4thImpulse » 26 Aug 2013 10:23

Nothing he says is the 'wrong answer', per se, but there are a few other ways around the same problems he discusses.

My advice is don't just listen to him and go on to record vocals, but find more peoples advice and try out all their techniques. Some will work better for you others will work better with your own selection of mics/pre amps/room acoustics.

The 1 foot rule is a great place to start on near everything, once set you can move it around to find the sweet spot. What he doesn't say is that additional room mics (microphones specifically there to capture the room) are a great thing to have while you record, they provide the natural 'room' sound that you can mix in with the close mic.
the4thImpulse

Primary: Ableton Live 8
Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Re: A video tutorial on recording vocals.

Postby SticktheFigure » 26 Aug 2013 22:21

Look, it isn't related, but I can't help notice that your description says "Do you even Linux? "
Do you even real Linux or do you just Ubuntu? (jk, equal love to all)
Spoiler woof:
Jokeblue wrote:the avatar of one of the guys who donated pretty much sums up how this is going
Keyboard: Yamaha Sy22 DAW: FLStudio 10 VST: Massive, Zeta+ 2
SticktheFigure

Primary: FL Studio
Cutie Mark: Piano

Return to Resources, Software, and Mixing Advice