What do you think of this philosophy?

Sample Packs? VSTs? DAWs? EQ? What DOES the knee on the Compressor do? All computer-related music making topics belong here!

What do you think of this philosophy?

Postby JSynth » 21 Aug 2013 20:10

(I wasn't exactly sure where to put this thread.)

So, I came across this video a few days back and wanted to know what you thought of it.

Limit your options like your life depended on it.

I can see what he means in one sense. For most of my music, I only use two synthesizers: Sylenth and Massive. I feel that I know Sylenth fairly well and though I am still learning Massive, I do know most of the basics. So, most of the time, I generally know which synth to pick, rather than browsing though all of the Reaktor synths and trying to figure them out.

But I feel differently about the microphone example that he gave.

If I had three mics, then I probably would have gotten them for different reasons. I probably would have already researched which mic works better, in different scenarios, before getting each mic.

As for settings and combos, I would only really need to figure that out once. It might slow the progress on one song, but after that I would already know which settings and combos work best and default to them.

But that is just what my take on the video was. What do you guys think?
https://soundcloud.com/jasper-synth/back-at-me
Jokeblue wrote:You fool. You've doomed the Spam thread to yet another, inevitable :3 spam.

My Tumblr
My YouTube
My SoundCloud

DAW: Logic Pro 9
Plugins: Sylenth, Sausage Fattener, Komplete 9, NI The Mouth, Ozone 5, Bitspeek
JSynth

Primary: Logic 9
Cutie Mark: yo face

Re: What do you think of this philosophy?

Postby DerpyGrooves » 25 Aug 2013 23:39

Minimalism is key to good creativity. The human mind, when presented with an infinite volume of options, generates white noise by default.
"Had you played some free jazz to ninety five per cent of the people who had made 'Take Five' a smash, they would have run for cover behind the latest release by Pat Boone." - The Timelords
DerpyGrooves

Postby Mr. Bigglesworth » 26 Aug 2013 05:48

What DG said.

As much as I'd love to get a bunch of synths at once, I'm better off going it one at a time till I have a good enough variety. Right now the only commercial synth I have is Massive (I don't count GMS because it came free with my FL11 upgrade), and I've gotten super fluent with it.

Better to have a lot of time to learn how to do everything with one tool rather than next to no time to learn nothing with a bunch of stuff.
I'm not here anymore, but if you want you can still just call me Mr. BigBagelBoggle!

Sound
Face
You
Mr. Bigglesworth

Primary: FL Studio
Cutie Mark: My own ass

Postby S.P.P » 26 Aug 2013 15:09

While I agree with what Biggles says, I prefer to learn one synthesis method first, before studying the next. Learning synth is all well and good, but I feel I'd benefit more from studying FM synthesis rather than spamming Sytrus until I know it inside and out. That's just me personally though ..
S.P.P

Primary: FL Studio, Ableton, Pro Tools

Postby CaptainFluffatun » 26 Aug 2013 15:42

Limit your options, but make sure your option is a great one. Like, limit yourself to one mic, but don't get a dick-at-all quality mic.
CaptainFluffatun

Primary: Cubase 5
Cutie Mark: Orchestral

Postby Dabrenn » 05 Sep 2013 17:53

I agree with the guy in the video.

Other people have said it here, but I'll just reiterate that a lack of options does force you to learn how to use the ones you do have deeply and effectively.

I really liked what he said about "momentum". Sometimes you get "on a roll" and having a ton of options could potentially drag you out of your zone and break concentration rather than just letting you work quickly and fluently.

Also, my experience with buying new gear always has the same effect on me. As soon as I buy a new piece, I'm happy with it for awhile, but it just ends of fueling my desire to buy more and more and more rather than be happy with what I have.
Dabrenn

Postby vladnuke » 05 Sep 2013 20:11

i prefer "choose your tools wisely"

we have every option at times at our disposal, but its only with experience do we learn what the best tool is for anything we do.
vladnuke

Postby S.P.P » 06 Sep 2013 03:46

I might do a sort of tutorial post on microphones and recording at some point. Would this be useful to anybody?
S.P.P

Primary: FL Studio, Ableton, Pro Tools

Return to Resources, Software, and Mixing Advice