Sample Library and Kontakt Discussion

Sample Packs? VSTs? DAWs? EQ? What DOES the knee on the Compressor do? All computer-related music making topics belong here!

Sample Library and Kontakt Discussion

Postby Conduit » 11 Aug 2013 18:54

I figure that since we have a thread for both hardware and software synths, we might as well have one for samples too. Talk about Kontakt instruments and things like drum packs or whatever.
https://soundcloud.com/flatflish/a-warm-past

DAW: Logic 9
Vst's: Absynth, Battery, FM8, Guitar Rig, Kontakt, Massive, Maschine
Real Instruments: Acoustic/Electric Guitar, Cello, Piano

YoutubeSoundcloudTutors ThreadSkype: FlatflishImage
Conduit

Primary: Logic Pro 9
Cutie Mark: Strings

Re: Sample Library and Kontakt Discussion

Postby Callenby » 11 Aug 2013 19:22

I like this idea (because it means I can actually contribute).

I guess I'll kick things off: does anyone here use Albion I? I've been planning on getting for a while it but haven't made the plunge yet. It's so expensive that I'd like to hear more from people who have experience with it.
"Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist." - Pablo Picasso
Free online classes (including music) can be found here. Credit for my avatar goes to Lolo.

Tumblr / YouTube / Soundcloud
Callenby

Primary: Cubase 7.5
Cutie Mark: Double bass clef heart

Postby Conduit » 11 Aug 2013 20:16

I've looked at albion in the past. It's appealing in the sense that you get basically a full orchestra all in one product, and from the demos I've heard its great, but I desided against it because most of the patches are for multiple instruments (One patch for both celli and bass). I prefer being able to control each instrument individually.

Conduit

Postby Callenby » 11 Aug 2013 21:26

As do I, but I already have a library for individual strings so filling out my orchestral samples is more what I'm looking for at the moment.
"Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist." - Pablo Picasso
Free online classes (including music) can be found here. Credit for my avatar goes to Lolo.

Callenby

Postby HMage » 12 Aug 2013 13:52

A lot of you guys use a pirated Kontakt, so you probably don't have Kontakt's factory library.

Check it out, it's actually good for most basic background uses.
HMage

Primary: Ableton
Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Postby Fimbulin » 12 Aug 2013 15:33

HMage wrote:A lot of you guys use a pirated Kontakt, so you probably don't have Kontakt's factory library.

Check it out, it's actually good for most basic background uses.

YES! I use the factory library in almost everything! I made an EQ preset that I always throw on it, because I don't like how the instruments are compressed.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/728 ... rololo.mp3
Here is a small quiet section I wrote with my preset. :3

I also really like using the trombone section from the K5 Factory, because it goes really low.
Analytical music theorist!
http://www.youtube.com/fimbulinmusic
http://www.soundcloud.com/fimbulin

FL Studio, Kontakt 5, orchestral mostly. I buy my gear.
I haunt skype so ask me questions there or viewtopic.php?f=32&t=8502
Fimbulin

Postby ChocolateChicken » 12 Aug 2013 17:19

Are the built-in sounds in Kontakt useful at all? Such as the drums and strings and whatnot? I'd be hard pressed to think that the industry standard sampler doesn't come with high quality samples.
ChocolateChicken

Primary: Logic Pro
Cutie Mark: Blank Flank

Postby Fimbulin » 12 Aug 2013 18:10

ChocolateChicken wrote:Are the built-in sounds...

That's what the factory library was I thought. :I

Fimbulin

Postby ChocolateChicken » 12 Aug 2013 20:13

Fimbulin wrote:That's what the factory library was I thought. :I

Well you very talked briefly about the factory samples in Kontakt and provided hardly any other useful information with regard to my question. Also perhaps other people in this forum have some opinions on the samples in Kontakt.
ChocolateChicken

Primary: Logic Pro
Cutie Mark: Blank Flank

Postby Callenby » 12 Aug 2013 20:38

ChocolateChicken wrote:
Fimbulin wrote:That's what the factory library was I thought. :I

Well you very talked briefly about the factory samples in Kontakt and provided hardly any other useful information with regard to my question. Also perhaps other people in this forum have some opinions on the samples in Kontakt.

Personally, I find most of the Kontakt samples to be lacking. Some of the patches (such as the celesta) are relatively nice but others (such as the strings and especially the brass) sound very artificial to me. They're functional enough (e.g. the strings include pizzicato, tremolo, and other techniques) and better than nothing, but I avoid using them whenever possible.

That's just my opinion, though, and it's been a while since I've tinkered with any of them.

Callenby

Postby Conduit » 12 Aug 2013 21:30

If you look at any of my older tracks (light in the everfree, or battle of hieyuma) they were done almost entirely with the default Kontakt library. That said, while they can sound ok if you put quite a bit of effort into both the midi (velocity and modulation) and post processing like reverb, I personally would recommend you avoid them if you can. Aftermarket libraries are typically much better in terms of quality.

Also, all the software I use is legit. I pirated when I first started, but have since switched to retail copies. If any of you plan on taking music seriously (as a potential career) I reccomendation you do the same.

I'm on my iPhone, but when I get to a computer ill try to do a quick review of both adagio and Emo pianos.

Conduit

Postby Mr. Bigglesworth » 12 Aug 2013 22:21

I got some packs from Primeloops a while ago, Drumstep Revolt and Greatest Dnb Hits.

The Greatest dnb pack was by far much better in my opinion. Drumstep revolt was full of loops and bass samples that, while they sound pretty cool, I don't wanna use. I kinda feel like it'd be cheating. Greatest Dnb drum hits was pretty much everything it promised to be, a bunch of drum hits. They're good drum hits too, lots of punchy kicks and snappy-rimmy snares. The hi hats are also pretty good in my opinion (especially liquid Ride 1. That's a good sounding Ride.)

Drumstep revolt's drum loops yeilded a few decent samples though, and it has some ok drum hits.

If you're gonna go Veangance, stay away from Essential Clubsounds 4. It's got a lot of completely unusable samples with way too much preprocessing on them. Look at the Essential Electro packs or something, I hear those are pretty decent.
I'm not here anymore, but if you want you can still just call me Mr. BigBagelBoggle!

Sound
Face
You
Mr. Bigglesworth

Primary: FL Studio
Cutie Mark: My own ass

Postby Fimbulin » 13 Aug 2013 02:50

Callenby wrote:Personally, I find most of the Kontakt samples to be lacking... I avoid using them whenever possible.

ChocolateChicken wrote:...provided hardly any other useful information...

This will make the factory strings sound like they came from a high end soundpack. I got with a sound designer and we took about an hour tweaking this so that the strings regain their natural sound in place of their overcompressed sound.

I would have to say that I never use the brass except for the trombones. The brass just doesn't come close to any of the competition. The trombone blasts are great and juicy for their epic low end, but the main issue I have with the K5 brass is it sounds mono.

The woods are decent but I would suggest using your own reverb.

I love some of the percussion. It's hit and miss though. Some of them are extremely good (like the triangles for instance).

There are good basses (not the bowed kind haha) in the Band section, which otherwise sucks.

I think I've touched on the best aspects of the factory library, as well as given away my hard work making a good EQ for the strings.

Fimbulin

Postby HMage » 13 Aug 2013 08:16

The strings for Kontakt's factory library were provided by VSL about 7 years ago. They didn't update them since then.

I still recommend checking out the factory library because every instrument is good enough if you place it in background. Choirs and some of the strings are actually very nice.
HMage

Primary: Ableton
Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Postby Callenby » 20 Aug 2013 13:28

So Embertone has announced their next six releases and that they are now offering a 20% educational discount (a first for them).

I want to give these guys some attention because I own copies of a few of their products (the violin is amazing and cheaper than others of its kind) and whenever I contact them they are nothing but helpful and patient. They're still relatively new but I think they're on their way to rival some of the big names in sampling.

Callenby

Postby Conduit » 26 Aug 2013 22:25

I just checked out Embertone, and damn their Sensual Sax sounds sexy.
I mean, just watch this video:

Conduit

Postby Fimbulin » 27 Aug 2013 00:50

Problem with the sax is either you get the crazy note performances or you don't.

Fimbulin

Postby Conduit » 27 Aug 2013 01:31

Pretty much, but you have to remember its a 20 dollar library.

Conduit

Postby JOrchestration » 03 Oct 2013 08:50

I am looking into the Complete Composer Collection 2 from SoundsOnline since it seems like a comprehensive answer to my orchestration needs, but their educational 50% off discount means I can't use their products in any commercial setting! I am stuck because I want to upgrade from Kontakt 3.5's factory library to something newer, better, and with sample packs far more comprehensive and rich with articulations, patterns, solo instruments/ensembles, etc., but I can't afford LASS, Cinebrass/strings/winds, or the other big third party packages like those. :( I really hope that there is an answer that shows up soon, but unless I come into four to five thousand dollars to get a better PC and all of that software, I am a bit stuck.

Thoughts on comprehensive, realistic VST libraries for this purpose that aren't locked by educational discounts?
JOrchestration

Primary: Reaper
Cutie Mark: Musical Sphere

Postby CitricAcid » 03 Oct 2013 09:30

SoundsOnline regularly has big sales--like buy-one-get-one-free or 50% off--around various holidays. Obviously this won't apply to the CCC since it's already hugely discounted, but you could wait for such a sale and buy a few libraries for the standard license with the discount. Symphonic Orchestra Gold or Platinum would be a must followed by whatever else you think you want.

You're probably not going to find good quality solo instruments in a comprehensive library though. Getting sampled solo instruments to sound good is tough unless you have a very deeply sampled library. Symphonic Orchestra has them, but the solo strings are mediocre at best. The solo brass and woodwind instruments are okay though.
Image Image Image
CitricAcid

Primary: Cubase
Cutie Mark: Music scroll

Postby JOrchestration » 03 Oct 2013 17:43

I agree! I am not out for solo instruments quite yet, so I may or may not toss out the solo violin offered with CCC2, but I think I may jump on it in a week or so because it seems to meet all my needs and more for much less than 3rd party libraries in Kontakt would cost me.

A bummer because I would love some of Spitfire's range of strings/woodwinds and cinebrass pro, but I would be getting equivalents and more with CCC2, so I can't complain!

Thanks for the input! :D
JOrchestration

Primary: Reaper
Cutie Mark: Musical Sphere

Postby Conduit » 03 Oct 2013 18:18

The Spitfire libraries look great, except for the fact that instruments are grouped into larger patches, instead of specific ensembles. For example rather then having both cello and bass patches, they have a combined "Strings Low" patch. From what I hear its a great all around library though.

Conduit

Postby CitricAcid » 03 Oct 2013 19:55

Conduit wrote:The Spitfire libraries look great, except for the fact that instruments are grouped into larger patches, instead of specific ensembles. For example rather then having both cello and bass patches, they have a combined "Strings Low" patch. From what I hear its a great all around library though.

I think a lot of libraries do that, and it bugs me as well. It's good for producing stuff that sounds "good enough" pretty quickly, but you don't have a clue about what kind of orchestration you're using, nor can you tweak that orchestration. Everything will always be doubled at unisons and octaves with that "epic" sound giving you no real fine control. Percussion libraries are worst about it, too. They give you palettes of drums where each note plays several different drums simultaneously, but they don't tell you what those drums are or how they were played.
Image Image Image
CitricAcid

Primary: Cubase
Cutie Mark: Music scroll

Postby Conduit » 03 Oct 2013 20:29

That's why I tend to go with 8Dio for most of my libraries. They're expensive, but the quality of the sound and the amount of control you get is definitely worth it if your serious about composing for film or whatever. I wouldn't get them if I was just trying to add some orchestral textures to another genre though.

Conduit

Postby JOrchestration » 03 Oct 2013 23:33

Food for thought... thanks, everyone!
JOrchestration