Sample Library and Kontakt Discussion

Sample Packs? VSTs? DAWs? EQ? What DOES the knee on the Compressor do? All computer-related music making topics belong here!

Re: Sample Library and Kontakt Discussion

Postby JOrchestration » 04 Oct 2013 08:16

Interesting day for this too, speaking of spitfire. They just released their low brass modular library today at a 25% off deal!

It sounds great from the demos, but, again, I will probably not venture into their territory for a year or more to let the prices become a bit lower.

They still keep making quality products though, from what I can tell.
JOrchestration

Primary: Reaper
Cutie Mark: Musical Sphere

Postby Fimbulin » 04 Oct 2013 09:59

I have some of the Spitrfire stuff and I must say that their products offer incredible sound! I have no complaints with their stuff.
Analytical music theorist!
http://www.youtube.com/fimbulinmusic
http://www.soundcloud.com/fimbulin

FL Studio, Kontakt 5, orchestral mostly. I buy my gear.
I haunt skype so ask me questions there or viewtopic.php?f=32&t=8502
Fimbulin

Postby Conduit » 04 Oct 2013 14:24

Its a shame sample libraries are so expensive. I have a wishlist of at least 10 different libraries right now, and those are just the ones that I deem most important to general composition (Brass, woodwinds, and percussion in particular). If anyone has like two grand they don't need I would love to have it!
https://soundcloud.com/flatflish/a-warm-past

DAW: Logic 9
Vst's: Absynth, Battery, FM8, Guitar Rig, Kontakt, Massive, Maschine
Real Instruments: Acoustic/Electric Guitar, Cello, Piano

YoutubeSoundcloudTutors ThreadSkype: FlatflishImage
Conduit

Primary: Logic Pro 9
Cutie Mark: Strings

Postby JOrchestration » 05 Oct 2013 18:46

Conduit wrote:Its a shame sample libraries are so expensive. I have a wishlist of at least 10 different libraries right now, and those are just the ones that I deem most important to general composition (Brass, woodwinds, and percussion in particular). If anyone has like two grand they don't need I would love to have it!

THIS. Ditto.
JOrchestration

Primary: Reaper
Cutie Mark: Musical Sphere

Postby Callenby » 06 Oct 2013 13:57

This seems like as good a place as any to say that, for those that don't already know it, there's a trick you can do to speed up loading times in Kontakt.

There's a very quick video for it. Just follow this link and click on "speeding up loading times" on the right hand side (Embedding directly doesn't seem to work).
"Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist." - Pablo Picasso
Free online classes (including music) can be found here. Credit for my avatar goes to Lolo.

Tumblr / YouTube / Soundcloud
Callenby

Primary: Cubase 7.5
Cutie Mark: Double bass clef heart

Postby Conduit » 06 Oct 2013 14:01

Callenby wrote:This seems like as good a place as any to say that, for those that don't already know it, there's a trick you can do to speed up loading times in Kontakt.

There's a very quick video for it. Just follow this link and click on "speeding up loading times" on the right hand side (Embedding directly doesn't seem to work).

Wow, didn't know this. This would be great for some of my bigger patches. I'm pretty sure most of my loading times come because I have all my libraries on an external drive, but it might help.

Conduit

Postby Conduit » 06 Oct 2013 14:06

Oh, as for new libraries, NI released Kinetic Metal a couple weeks ago. It looks really fun, and sounds absolutely stunning. Sucks that I have to wait until Komplete 10 before I'll have a chance to play with it.

Conduit

Postby v.lossity » 31 Oct 2013 20:40

Anyone have any advice about woodwind libraries that they like? I am looking at Hollywoodwinds right now because I can't find any decent "free" libraries that arent straight garbage, but its pretty pricey.
v.lossity

Postby Fimbulin » 31 Oct 2013 22:48

8dio has hands down the best woods I have ever heard for virtual instruments. Check their stuff out.
Analytical music theorist!
http://www.youtube.com/fimbulinmusic
http://www.soundcloud.com/fimbulin

FL Studio, Kontakt 5, orchestral mostly. I buy my gear.
I haunt skype so ask me questions there or viewtopic.php?f=32&t=8502
Fimbulin

Postby vladnuke » 01 Nov 2013 02:58

kontakt: literally fuck all the factory shit cept the pianos

EWQL: everything is beautiful again.

both cost around the same
vladnuke

Postby v.lossity » 01 Nov 2013 08:26

EWQL sounds amazing from what I can tell but its so pricey. I might get 8dio to last me until Im rich.

If I was a rich man da da da da da da da da da da da da da da da ....
v.lossity

Postby Conduit » 01 Nov 2013 13:43

v.lossity wrote:I might get 8dio to last me until Im rich.

If you can afford 8dio your definitely rich. It's probably one of the most expensive sample companies out there. Definitely more expensive then EWQL. Also from what I hear EWQL is pretty good, but starting to get really outdated. I guess its good if you don't have Kontakt though. If you go the 8dio route expect to spend 200-500 dollars for a single instrument (ie cello, or flute). They don't have any large libraries that are all inclusive, or ones dedicated to specific sections (excluding V8P's Eighth Wonder, but you have to spend upwards of $2000 on 8dio products to even be eligible to buy it.)

Conduit

Postby v.lossity » 01 Nov 2013 19:59

umm, the big combo library for 8dio is 100...the big combo library for EWQL is like 700.

edit: I didn't see you were talking about all the separate instruments for 8dio. I assume you mean the virtuoso solo instruments? Also, just realized I don't have to get the whole EWQL...I can just get the woodwinds for 200 which makes it priced even with Hollywoodwinds. I guess Im going to have to do some more in-depth research.
v.lossity

Postby Callenby » 01 Nov 2013 20:21

v.lossity wrote:I guess Im going to have to do some more in-depth research.

Now you know why more people don't pursue orchestral music.

I'm assuming you have Kontakt? If not then be careful about buying something you couldn't even use.

I haven't tried it myself, but from what I hear EWQL's interface is terrible.

8dio's stuff is great, but their winds are singular instruments and if you need bigger "brushes" with which to paint you may want to look elsewhere. Also, that $100 combo deal only applies to their ethnic woodwinds. They don't have a similar deal for their classical ones yet.
"Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist." - Pablo Picasso
Free online classes (including music) can be found here. Credit for my avatar goes to Lolo.

Callenby

Postby Conduit » 01 Nov 2013 20:25

v.lossity wrote:umm, the big combo library for 8dio is 100...the big combo library for EWQL is like 700.

edit: I didn't see you were talking about all the separate instruments for 8dio. I assume you mean the virtuoso solo instruments? Also, just realized I don't have to get the whole EWQL...I can just get the woodwinds for 200 which makes it priced even with Hollywoodwinds. I guess Im going to have to do some more in-depth research.

Oh, if your talking about the "All Woodwinds" Bundle, it's outdated, and only contains their stuff like a slide whistle, and a didgeridoo. There is no standard woodwinds included. 8Dio moved into professional woodwind libraries pretty recently, though its still misleading on their part to have that bundle listed. There is no standard woodwinds included. Sorry for the confusion!

For woodwinds I would definitely go with the Cinesamples CineWinds, although you've stated that you have a fairly small budget, so unless you already have it I think saving up for Komplete would be the best move. It comes with Kontakt, which on its own is a $400 purchase, and the default library isn't bad. You also get Massive, Absynth, FM8, Reaktor, Guitar Rig, and a ton of other stuff. It's easily the best purchase I've made so far.

My bad if you already know this, but things like Hollywoodwinds run inside of Kontakt, so it's something you have to own to use them. There are a select few that run in the free Kontakt player, but make sure you check for that first if you plan on using a library without it. EWQL is kinda the alternative, as they have their own sampler included. I haven't bought any of their products, so I can't comment on their quality, but Kontakt has worked extremely well for me, and I suspect it's the industry standard for a reason.

Sorry if I ever sound like a dick, years of only writing essays has broken how I talk on forums. I like to think I'm actually pretty friendly, so feel free to add me on skype if you want to talk about any of this stuff.

Conduit

Postby v.lossity » 01 Nov 2013 20:30

Callenby wrote:
v.lossity wrote:I guess Im going to have to do some more in-depth research.

Now you know why more people don't pursue orchestral music.

I'm assuming you have Kontakt? .....
They don't have a similar deal for their classical ones yet.

Well I guess this rules out the bundle. Yes I have kontakt. I pretty much never use patches that combine multiple instruments into one patch because I prefer and enjoy writing separate parts for each instrument, so yeah Ill have to look for something with separate instrument patches.

Thanks for the insight here.
v.lossity

Postby v.lossity » 01 Nov 2013 20:36

Conduit wrote:
v.lossity wrote:blah

Oh, if your talking about the "All Woodwinds" Bundle, it's outdated.......... There is no standard woodwinds included. Sorry for the confusion!

For woodwinds I would definitely go with the Cinesamples CineWinds, although you've stated that you have a fairly small budget, so unless you already have it I think saving up for Komplete would be the best move. It comes with Kontakt, which on its own is a $400 purchase, and the default library isn't bad. You also get Massive, Absynth, FM8, Reaktor, Guitar Rig, and a ton of other stuff. It's easily the best purchase I've made so far.

My bad if you already know this, but things like Hollywoodwinds run inside of Kontakt, so it's something you have to own to use them. There are a select few that run in the free Kontakt player, but make sure you check for that first if you plan on using a library without it. EWQL is kinda the alternative, as they have their own sampler included. I haven't bought any of their products, so I can't comment on their quality, but Kontakt has worked extremely well for me, and I suspect it's the industry standard for a reason.

Sorry if I ever sound like a dick, years of only writing essays has broken how I talk on forums. I like to think I'm actually pretty friendly, so feel free to add me on skype if you want to talk about any of this stuff.

Dont worry you didnt come across as a dick at all, I appreciate the input. I do in fact have kontakt, and I have been extremely satisfied using it with things like LA Scoring Strings, Cinesamples Cinebrass, Drums of War etc so I would like to continue using Kontakt. I think I will probably end up shelling out the big bucks for the good library, I hate having to upgrade stuff because I cheaped out at the start. Just means I have to save for longer :/

I really appreciate both your input, it really helps hearing from people who actually have experience with these things. <3
v.lossity

Postby Callenby » 01 Nov 2013 20:46

v.lossity wrote:I pretty much never use patches that combine multiple instruments into one patch because I prefer and enjoy writing separate parts for each instrument, so yeah Ill have to look for something with separate instrument patches.

That's kind of the unfortunate thing - if you're on a budget you often have to compromise. Try and find out exactly what your needs are and what you can skirt around. Ultimately, what libraries we buy is something we have to all decide for ourselves but don't be afraid to ask us any specifics you have in mind.

If money is still an issue and at some point you are willing to sacrifice writing for separate parts you can also look into Albion. Their stuff sounds great and has an academic discount (with no restrictions, even).

I really appreciate both your input, it really helps hearing from people who actually have experience with these things. <3

No problem! Always happy to help.

Callenby

Postby CitricAcid » 01 Nov 2013 20:58

I can chime in here and say a few words about EWQL. I can't speak for all the libraries, but I can say that Symphonic Orchestra is very good for the money. (SD2 is good as well, in case you're looking into percussion libraries.) It sounds very good out of the box; I rarely have to apply any heavy processing to make the instruments sound good. Just be SURE that you use the DXF patches and automate the crap out of them. That's where the good sounds are.

I'm not sure what Callenby heard about their interface, but even if isn't the greatest, you actually don't have to touch it much. For the most part you just load up an instrument and go. Also they recently released version 4 of their Play engine. I haven't downloaded it yet, but I understand it significantly improved the mixer.

And in case you weren't sure, all of Symphonic Orchestra's instrument patches are separate. And if you can catch one of the 50% off sales that they sometimes have, you can get the gold version for $250. Don't get the silver version. The number of included articulations in silver is abysmal compared to gold.

EDIT: And I just realized that you were looking for specifically woodwinds. I unfortunately lack knowledge of what EastWest's Hollywood Woodwinds are like. Hope you find something that suits you though. Symphonic Orchestra definitely doesn't have enough woodwinds if that's what you're looking for.
Image Image Image
CitricAcid

Primary: Cubase
Cutie Mark: Music scroll

Postby v.lossity » 02 Nov 2013 09:54

CitricAcid wrote:I can chime in here and say a few words about EWQL.

EDIT: And I just realized that you were looking for specifically woodwinds. I unfortunately lack knowledge of what EastWest's Hollywood Woodwinds are like. Hope you find something that suits you though. Symphonic Orchestra definitely doesn't have enough woodwinds if that's what you're looking for.

Thanks for the info. I have a very solid strings library and brass library (aside from some irksome glitches) so yeah I really only need woodwinds and to fill out my percussion section. Ill post something here if I find out anything relevant. Thanks <3
v.lossity

Previous

Return to Resources, Software, and Mixing Advice