Software Synth Discussion

Sample Packs? VSTs? DAWs? EQ? What DOES the knee on the Compressor do? All computer-related music making topics belong here!

Re: Software Synth Discussion

Postby Acsii » 11 Sep 2013 14:43

Any synth is capable of any raw sound if you know how to use it
20 something Transgirl that makes sounds called music
Soundcloud | Facebook | Bandcamp | Blog
Placing my tongue on the GR meter to taste the gain reduction I some how improved my skills.
Acsii

Primary: Logic Pro X
Cutie Mark: Old round oscilloscope

Postby Mr. Bigglesworth » 11 Sep 2013 15:18

And here's me. Still only got massive.
I'm not here anymore, but if you want you can still just call me Mr. BigBagelBoggle!

Sound
Face
You
Mr. Bigglesworth

Primary: FL Studio
Cutie Mark: My own ass

Postby TrotPilgrim » 11 Sep 2013 17:02

I rarely do synth-driven music, but I like Waves' Element. Possibly because it's incredibly generic. If you're a newbie to synths like me I recommend it simply because of the interface. There's no menus, every parameter is visible at once, so even I can tell what it's doing, and it never takes me too long to get the sound I want. If I need something more flexible I use Logic's ES2. Other than those I haven't read enough instruction manuals to get the sounds I want out of any other synth. I've messed with Massive a bit, but I have much to learn.
TrotPilgrim

Cutie Mark: Rock Band

Postby Captain Ironhelm » 11 Sep 2013 17:33

simonli2575 wrote:Z3ta+2 is on Steam and is 50% off, bringing it down to $49.99 until Sept 16.
I'm too lazy. What kind of sounds can you make and should I buy it?

i'm too lazy to post anything but links

http://www.cakewalk.com/Products/z3ta/feature.aspx/Listen-to-Z3TA-sound-examples

http://www.cakewalk.com/Products/Z3TA/web-trial.aspx
Captain Ironhelm

Postby HMage » 11 Sep 2013 19:46

HMage

Primary: Ableton
Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Postby Mr. Bigglesworth » 11 Sep 2013 20:14

simonli2575 wrote:Z3ta+2 is on Steam and is 50% off, bringing it down to $49.99 until Sept 16.
I'm too lazy. What kind of sounds can you make and should I buy it?

Does it come as a standalone or a VST??
I'm not here anymore, but if you want you can still just call me Mr. BigBagelBoggle!

Sound
Face
You
Mr. Bigglesworth

Postby Captain Ironhelm » 11 Sep 2013 20:19

Mr. Bigglesworth wrote:Does it come as a standalone or a VST??

both

cakewalk wrote:Additional Notes: Requires VST 2.4 compatible host software. ASIO compatible sound device and MIDI controller are required for the Z3TA+ 2 microhost to be used standalone
Captain Ironhelm

Postby Mr. Bigglesworth » 11 Sep 2013 20:21

Mr. Bigglesworth wrote:Welp. Guess I'm buying Z3TA+ 2 when I get home.
I hear good things about the first one, so this'll be good ^^

I guessed right. Because Z3ta+2 is fucking awesome.

Sound
Face
You
Mr. Bigglesworth

Postby ChocolateChicken » 13 Sep 2013 01:32

How does Z3ta compare to other synths like Massive or Sylenth?
ChocolateChicken

Primary: Logic Pro
Cutie Mark: Blank Flank

Postby Mr. Bigglesworth » 13 Sep 2013 02:56

ChocolateChicken wrote:How does Z3ta compare to other synths like Massive or Sylenth?

I don't use Sylenth1, so HMage or someone could probably fill you in with that. I'll just do Massive.

It's got much more in the way of waveshaping capabilities compared to Massive, like you can fold waveforms back on itself, distort it, bitcrush etc. There are 16 waveshaping parameters per oscillator. There are 6 oscillators and about 120 waveforms (plus you can add your own waveforms by just importing a sound file). And with the waveshaping options 120 becomes a pretty huge amount of potential for experimenting.

The Filters are also pretty cool in my opinion. For one you can pan the output of each filter, which means you can widen a sound without the same issues you'll get with Dimension Expander in Massive. Secondly it comes with filters that are literally just Resonance Peaks, so you can use those in pretty cool ways, of course it also comes with you stock standard Low Pass, High Pass, Bandpass etc. Also you can link the filters together, so if you're automating and you wanna do both of them you only need to automate one and the other just follows the same pattern.

The effects processing is also really good in that you can change the signal path without any bullshit. Just drag one effect above or below the other and that's all you need to do. I like simple stuff like that c: I personally really like the distortion. There's an EQ that emulates different kinds of speakers and whatnot which is pretty cool too.

It also has more modulation sources than Massive does but a limited number of slots for it. You get 6 envelopes and 6 LFO's and 8 routing paths for them (EDIT: It actually has 19). The way it works is basically you select a source and a destination for the modulation (similar to Sylenth1 I think.) and you can customize the curve and if you're so inclined you can have it controlled by part of your midi controller (such as the mod wheel).

Oh and the arp is fantastic because it lets you import midis. That'd be pretty handy for remixes and the like. Or just making your own arps, whatever floats the goats.

SO, Z3ta+2 definitely stands up pretty well to Massive and does a few things much better than Massive. I'd recommend it.

Sound
Face
You
Mr. Bigglesworth

Postby Acsii » 13 Sep 2013 06:21

Finally got D16 Phoscyon so now I don't need to reprogram my TT-303 every time (which is very tedious) instead I just need to reprogram Phoscyon (which is not tedious) woo
Also I'm trying out Nithonat which is their TR-606 one.
Spoiler Here have a pic:
20 something Transgirl that makes sounds called music
Soundcloud | Facebook | Bandcamp | Blog
Placing my tongue on the GR meter to taste the gain reduction I some how improved my skills.
Acsii

Cutie Mark: Old round oscilloscope

Postby ChocolateChicken » 14 Sep 2013 18:07

Wow, Zeta sounds like a pretty swell synth. The filter output panning thing reminds me of the filter panning in Twin 2, and it's definitely a cool effect more synths should have. With synths like Zeta, I usually wonder if synths like Massive and Sylenth really are the best or if they are all hype, and other synths like Spire or Zeta deserve more recognition.

Or maybe we should all just get one synth and make the best out of it.
ChocolateChicken

Primary: Logic Pro
Cutie Mark: Blank Flank

Postby the4thImpulse » 14 Sep 2013 18:12

ChocolateChicken wrote:Or maybe we should all just get one synth and make the best out of it.

There's the right answer!

Its good to have a variety of synths as each one will do things 'better' or 'differently, but in a more pleasing manner', than other synths. But you should always know at least one of them really well and use the rest for simple patch finding and tweaking.

I love Z3ta, its the one synth I know. If you want I can give you some of my crazy patches!
the4thImpulse

Primary: Ableton Live 8
Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Postby Mush » 15 Sep 2013 14:08

Very recently I have had a kind of unhealthy obsession with my new favourite synth, the YM2612. Some of you may know this already.

The YM2612 VST I use is a virtual version of the sound chip found inside a SEGA Genesis, shockingly enough, its called the YM2612. I know, crazy.

Anyway, this synth is pretty basic, as it is meant to be a recreation of a basic synth, but that doesn't mean it makes bad sounds.

Being a basic synth, it can do boss old school sounds straight from Sonic or Earthworm Jim. And if layered and programmed well, good for pads too.

But I feel where I have found that this little synth shines recently is in small doses. It does have quite a harsh sound and can be quite unexpected in the volume compartment if two leads come together, say.

However, in the last few days I experimented, because I was bored, and issued myself the challenge of making this produce a serious sound that I could use in a song and not sound like it was pulled from a game.

This synth can bass. Hard. I mean, seriously, even with no automation (thats a bummer) this can generate vowel sounds. I don't know if thats usual for synths like this as I don't think I have any other FM synths, but hey, if I can make the SEGA soundchip go YaiYaiYai, I am doing something right, or wrong.
Mad tunes on my channel yo.
Mush's YouTube

Pixels are your friend, buy them a beer.

Hey, want to chat? Add me on skype: stevenmagnet
Mush

Primary: FL Studio 11
Cutie Mark: Synthesis

Previous

Return to Resources, Software, and Mixing Advice