FL studio help, trying to get custom notes in piano roll

Sample Packs? VSTs? DAWs? EQ? What DOES the knee on the Compressor do? All computer-related music making topics belong here!

FL studio help, trying to get custom notes in piano roll

Postby dave » 10 Aug 2013 15:31

First off Hi, and thanks for stopping by to help me out.

I'm new around here but from what I've seen digging through these forums I think I've got the place that can help me figure this out.

I'm working with FL Studio 10 and Melodyne trying to recreate a version of woodentoaster's avast fluttershy's tushy, thinking it would be a good project to figure out many of the techniques needed to start making some stuff of my own.
I have a wav of fluttershy's "yay" and have used melodyne to pitch it up to various notes, c5, g#5 etc. I imported them each into their own sample, then made a layer and set them all as children of the layer, setting the root note and the zone to be only what note i adjusted them to in melodyne.
Then on the piano roll of the Layer I put in all the notes of the main Yay bit.

That got me to a sort of working version, the yays activate each time their note is hit in the layer piano roll, and only when their note is hit. However it seems to just play the length of the wav file no matter how long or short the note in the piano roll is.

I was thinking there had to be some way in FL studio to load up a new instrument, track, sequence, not sure what to call it. like when you drag a guitar from the browser into your sequencer. Anyway make a new custom one of that where i can go into some settings somewhere and tell it when i press c5, this is the sound you play. a5 is this sound. ( in this specific case it would be a fluttershy yay adjusted to c5 and a5 respectively)
Then I can go into the piano roll of that new custom instrument and play a quarter note c5 and the c5 adjusted yay would play in its entirety in that quarter note. If i put a longer note, the yay would play in that time.

I do apologize as I do not know the correct terms to use to describe all of this, so Im sure it comes out odd, but hopefully you get the idea of what i am trying to do.

Even if you just know some terms or something that apply to what I am trying to do that would be a huge help as I would have some better chances of being able to research more on my own.
dave

Re: FL studio help, trying to get custom notes in piano roll

Postby JSynth » 10 Aug 2013 15:58

Well Hi!

I think I understand what you are trying to do, even if though I dont use FL.

It might be easier to import the samples into a single audio file, then use melodyne to change the pitch and time, rather than triggering the samples with midi.
https://soundcloud.com/jasper-synth/back-at-me
Jokeblue wrote:You fool. You've doomed the Spam thread to yet another, inevitable :3 spam.

My Tumblr
My YouTube
My SoundCloud

DAW: Logic Pro 9
Plugins: Sylenth, Sausage Fattener, Komplete 9, NI The Mouth, Ozone 5, Bitspeek
JSynth

Primary: Logic 9
Cutie Mark: yo face

Postby CDPP » 10 Aug 2013 16:09

Hey there, welcome to the forum!

Sadly Fl's built in sampler doesn't allow for real-time time shifting within the piano roll (to my knowledge someone correct me if I'm wrong); though if you wanted to adjust the pitch to play at the correct note you just need to adjust the root key your sampler plays.

So say you've got a sample that plays at A5
But by default the sampler treats all samples as a C5
Just right click on that little white bar at the bottom to the sample's note like so:

Is this what you were asking?
CDPP

Postby dave » 10 Aug 2013 16:41

Thanks for all the fast replies.

JSynth - I was hoping to avoid having to rebuild the whole part in Melodyne, since if I wanted to change notes or whatnot I would have to go back to melodyne, change it, resave and import the clip into FL. But it certainly seems like it could get the job done.

CDPP - I did that with each sample I brought in, made the a5 sample channels root note a5, and its range only a5 to a5. But kudos to taking pictures, those would have helped way long ago when i was just starting to figure this out haha.

eery - Ill have to look into directwave and see if it can do what i need it to do. And i got a few new terms to look into like adsr. Thanks much

Ill try explaining what i want in a slightly different way, you know those old keytars or keyboards that could record a sound and map it to a key, then when you pressed the key your sound would play. Most people seemed to use them for various burps and farts but that is the basic idea I was thinking should be possible.
Have a keyboard inside FL studio that I can load a sound up to be associated with a specific key, and once that is done I can "play" it just like a normal keyboard, but instead of a c5 coming out when i hit the c5 key, it plays whatever sound i told it to be associated with the c5 key.

I hope that helps shed some light on what I was thinking, and maybe eery's directwave is just the thing, Ill start doing some research now.

Thanks again for all the help
dave

Postby Alycs » 10 Aug 2013 16:51

Yup, sounds like what you want to build is a "sound bank". ITs the thing eery was talking about, and in FL studio it us found under the name "Direct Wave". Look into that, as it is literally exactly the thing you're looking for
Soundcloud||Tumblr||Youtube||Graphics||Bandcamp
Freewave wrote:being too critical can make you too critical
Alycs

Primary: FL Studio
Cutie Mark: ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Postby CDPP » 10 Aug 2013 16:51

Ah, yeah in that case I think directwave and slicex does that job pretty nicely.

Or if you want you could open up a new layer in the pattern window and set all your samples as children. Then you could assign each sample to a single note so it'll play just for that.
CDPP

Postby dave » 10 Aug 2013 16:54

Man I wish I had posted here before spending a very frustrating day trying to solve this on my own haha.
I just started looking at directwave and yeah it seems to be spot on. Plus now i know the term sound bank, so i can do easy research on it.
Sometimes its frustrating when all you need is the right word to describe what you are trying to do.

Thank you all so very much
dave

Postby CDPP » 10 Aug 2013 17:05

I know that feel, if only google worked well for vague word searches haha, welcome!
CDPP

Postby dave » 10 Aug 2013 17:45

Yeah Directwave was definatly the right tool.

One part I havent figured out yet is how to make the whole sound play for as long as the associated key is pressed. I figured it should be able to stretch the sample sound to fit the duration of the note played, but so far I have only been able to get it to basically play the sound clip. And if the note played is shorter than the duration of the sound clip, it cuts out in the middle.
Hmm typing this out made me realize that at the start of the note playing the program would have to know exactly how long the note is, so maybe that isnt something easily done.

Anyhow thought I'd throw this up incase any of you genius people out there know how to pull off what i was thinking.

Thanks
dave

Postby Freewave » 10 Aug 2013 18:04

Hey Dave i know you JUST joined the forum so drop by the introduce yourself thread when you geta chance. Also there is a famous (?) brony musician known as Dave! or Speedcore Dave so consider if you want to use such a similar name. ;)
Links for my music: YouTube, Bandcamp, and Tumblr
Check out the Brony Music Directory and FimMusic. A portal for all pony music
Support the 20+ Musician Maressey Project currently underway.
Freewave

Primary: Fl Studio 10
Cutie Mark: X$X

Postby dave » 10 Aug 2013 18:23

Thanks Freewave, I didn't even think about being mistaken for someone else haha, though in my profile It seems I can't change my username, am I missing something? or would I need to make a new account, which is still totally doable since I am so new ^_^
dave

Postby Nine Volt » 10 Aug 2013 19:17

dave wrote:Thanks Freewave, I didn't even think about being mistaken for someone else haha, though in my profile It seems I can't change my username, am I missing something? or would I need to make a new account, which is still totally doable since I am so new ^_^

Only an admin like Circuitfry or Stars In Autumn can change your name, so just PM them and ask :3
Nine Volt

Return to Resources, Software, and Mixing Advice