The best fattening VST I've found

Sample Packs? VSTs? DAWs? EQ? What DOES the knee on the Compressor do? All computer-related music making topics belong here!

The best fattening VST I've found

Postby DerpyGrooves » 09 Aug 2013 21:11

Here.

It's the one called "GRect". Uh, I'll explain it here.

Essentially there are two varieties of pitch shifting extant in modern music, those being granular pitch shifting, as well as rectification. There are other methods by which we can impart a pitch, vocoding and the like, but if we're talking about pitch shifting strictly as the idea of changing a given sound's pitch hopefully without affecting any other characteristics, that's all there is.

Now, the VAST majority of the pitch shifters you see in VSTs today are granular, which is to say they take very very small pieces of sound and shift each of those individually. They're very flexible, by which I mean for the most part I can shift something to any note in the chromatic scale with relative ease, but with that in mind, they do tend to color the sound, either ending up with a whiney, chipmunkey sort of sound on the higher end, or else making everything muddy and darth-vaderish further down. THERE IS ANOTHER WAY.

A RECTIFIER (the device in question) does not shift pitch by analyzing grains of sound, instead, it actually splits the wave in half horizontally, then folds it over and normalizes the result, thereby DOUBLING THE FREQUENCY.

The result is a lot more natural of a sound, which is fantastic for drums and the like, and excites a lot of the higher frequencies in a big way, while preserving the character of the low end. Which is to say, if you're looking for "fat" sound, look to this VST. To my knowledge, this is the ONLY VST that actually does full-wave rectification, and honestly the results speak for themselves. I really encourage you to give it a try.
"Had you played some free jazz to ninety five per cent of the people who had made 'Take Five' a smash, they would have run for cover behind the latest release by Pat Boone." - The Timelords
DerpyGrooves

Re: The best fattening VST I've found

Postby Circuitfry » 09 Aug 2013 21:13

I am already bonering for this vst

I wish I could do vst
Viricide wrote:Thanks Obama. Or should I say Cirbama.

\
Circuitfry

Primary: LMMS
Cutie Mark: {;}

Postby Magnitude Zero » 09 Aug 2013 21:24

Circuitfry wrote:I am already bonering for this vst

You mean you have a...

GRection?

omfg i'm so sorry

OT: Seems like a clever idea! Giving this a go now.
Formerly known as Blind

DAW: FL Studio 10
Style: Chill/Downtempo

Soundcloud | Youtube | Tumblr
Magnitude Zero

Primary: FL Studio 10
Cutie Mark: Horse butt not large enough

Postby Motivfs » 09 Aug 2013 21:30

Considering how often I put a fattener on my kickdrums this would be really good for me to use.

I'll give it a shot.

@MZ, that's gold ahaha.
Motivfs

Postby DerpyGrooves » 09 Aug 2013 21:33

Kyoga wrote:This sounds really good, but based on what you described it seems like it would mud the hell out of the low transients.

How does it handle something like an 808 kick?

Essentially, I haven't tried it, but I would assume it would mostly just reinforce the overtones on something like an 808? Technically the resulting frequency would be precisely an octave above whatever frequency the kick happened to be at at the time, so it's functionally impossible for the sound to get muddy, it would just reinforce the presence of what is already there. Normally, muddiness comes from clashing overtones and competing frequencies, in this case, it is physically impossible for effect to clash with the dry sound.

Keep in mind, most VST "fattners" just saturate the gain until the resulting wave literally looks like a sausage, which can create or accentuate already existing clashing frequencies. With the Rectifier, this is not at all the case.
"Had you played some free jazz to ninety five per cent of the people who had made 'Take Five' a smash, they would have run for cover behind the latest release by Pat Boone." - The Timelords
DerpyGrooves

Postby Motivfs » 09 Aug 2013 21:53

Mmm, testing it out on Kicks and Snares (I actually haven't used a fattener in a long time believe it or not), I can definitely see what you mean when you say it's an octave higher. It really doesn't work for MY kickdrums, that's not to say it won't work for other peoples (It will react differently to different waveforms I'm sure), but as for my snare it reallllly boosts the high end of the snare.

From that point, I fiddled with the EQ a bit, it's amazing how much more options you get with the EQ with this opposed to other "fatteners", both with the kickdrum and snare. That's all I tried though. You could definitely use it for other things too without hurting your mix from what it looks like, and it worked pretty decent on my snare. I don't know how much I'll use it though.

Just my 2 cents from using it right now.
Motivfs

Postby JSynth » 10 Aug 2013 07:31

of course it doesn't come for mac.

...unless there is an alternate download that I missed.

Edit: Never mind.

This site contains several free VST effects and instruments for Windows.
https://soundcloud.com/jasper-synth/back-at-me
Jokeblue wrote:You fool. You've doomed the Spam thread to yet another, inevitable :3 spam.

My Tumblr
My YouTube
My SoundCloud

DAW: Logic Pro 9
Plugins: Sylenth, Sausage Fattener, Komplete 9, NI The Mouth, Ozone 5, Bitspeek
JSynth

Primary: Logic 9
Cutie Mark: yo face

Postby Quix » 10 Aug 2013 11:00

Kyoga wrote:This sounds really good, but based on what you described it seems like it would mud the hell out of the low transients.

How does it handle something like an 808 kick?

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/79084612/808%20test.wav

1. Dry 808
2. 808 pitch-shifted up 12 semitones in Ableton's Simpler
3. 100% Wet 808 in Grect
Quix

Primary: Ableton Live 9

Postby the4thImpulse » 10 Aug 2013 12:03

To explain it better all it does is takes the waveform below the 0 volt line and flips it over (like a mirror) above the 0 volt line.

With a triangle wave it cleanly doubles the freuency as a perfect triangle has two points and two equally angled slopes from and too those points. Rectifying it makes an aditional two points and two equal angles in place of the old wave.

A sine wave will be doubled in frequency but also contain new harmonics as the rectifier will add one hard angle in the waveform like you would see in a triangle or saw wave.

A perfect saw wave will become a perfect triangle wave but if the vertical slope is not perfectly vertical then new harmonics will be created. It doesn't double the frequency in the same way as the others however.

A square wave will create a narrow pulse waveform.

This a is the Wet only signal of my Moogs saw wave. As you can see it creates something that resembles a triangle wave but has that pike where the saw wave would go near vertical.

Its a nice little plugin, works best on fat basslines and leads IMO but try it on everything cause you never know where it will sound best for you.
the4thImpulse

Primary: Ableton Live 8
Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Postby DerpyGrooves » 10 Aug 2013 17:10

the4thImpulse wrote:To explain it better all it does is takes the waveform below the 0 volt line and flips it over (like a mirror) above the 0 volt line.

With a triangle wave it cleanly doubles the freuency as a perfect triangle has two points and two equally angled slopes from and too those points. Rectifying it makes an aditional two points and two equal angles in place of the old wave.

A sine wave will be doubled in frequency but also contain new harmonics as the rectifier will add one hard angle in the waveform like you would see in a triangle or saw wave.

A perfect saw wave will become a perfect triangle wave but if the vertical slope is not perfectly vertical then new harmonics will be created. It doesn't double the frequency in the same way as the others however.

A square wave will create a narrow pulse waveform.

This a is the Wet only signal of my Moogs saw wave. As you can see it creates something that resembles a triangle wave but has that pike where the saw wave would go near vertical.

Its a nice little plugin, works best on fat basslines and leads IMO but try it on everything cause you never know where it will sound best for you.

This is great. Thanks for sharing !!!
DerpyGrooves

Return to Resources, Software, and Mixing Advice