Fl studio 10/11?

Sample Packs? VSTs? DAWs? EQ? What DOES the knee on the Compressor do? All computer-related music making topics belong here!

Fl studio 10/11?

Postby Tasorrog » 20 Jul 2013 07:05

Ok so here is the thing, right now i use Fl studio 10 and was thinking of getting version 11.
But before i do i just need to have som questions answered

Since Fl studio 10 only can make use of a vary low amount of ram it often takes hughe amount of time for me to load a project, so i was wondering how much ram can version 11 make use of? I got 16GB of RAM so i want the program to make use of the resources that i got.

And will i have to reinstall all my VSTs? (I cnow that some that are only like one dll file doesn't require that)

And do i need to make something to all my FLP files to make sure they will work?

And will all my VSTs work whit 11 since i got some really old ones that i need.
(I use windows 7 btw)

(Typing this from my mobile so spelling error's may occur)
Tasorrog

Primary: Fl Studio
Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Re: Fl studio 10/11?

Postby Captain Ironhelm » 20 Jul 2013 08:06

Getting the free update to version 11 should be painless.

FL will have it's current cap on RAM until they can get a 64 bit version on the road. It's just the way it is. (I think FL 11 by default boots in "extended memory" mode, but I may be wrong.)

To reinstall VSTs, simply make sure FL 11 has your VST folder targeted. (The same folder you used for your FL 10 VSTs.)

And FLP files from FL 10 are compatible with FL 11. You may have to move them to your project folder for FL 11, if you wish. Same goes with your drum samples.

All VSTs will still work dandy, no worries there!
Captain Ironhelm

Postby Freewave » 20 Jul 2013 08:33

Not sure how 16GB of Ram and a project would take forever to load in FL10. Sounds like something else may be taking place. I know some projects are bigger and more cumbersone then others and mutliple instances of some vsts or effects can make the difference during loading, play, or rendering, but as someone who has 6GB of Ram in their computer i would never describe my daw is being a huge slow loader.

I do agree with all the Captain's points that most of your concerns have been taken care of by imageline as functionality is the same and backwards compatibility is something that is built into newer versions. My biggest issue would be that i'd want to have a seperarate version of 11 if i installed and not have it over-write my FL10 and i don't know if their stand alone does that.
Links for my music: YouTube, Bandcamp, and Tumblr
Check out the Brony Music Directory and FimMusic. A portal for all pony music
Support the 20+ Musician Maressey Project currently underway.
Freewave

Primary: Fl Studio 10
Cutie Mark: X$X

Postby Captain Ironhelm » 20 Jul 2013 10:23

when I installed version 11, version 10 was left intact exactly as it was before. I have both installed at the moment as I haven't gotten around to removing version 10 yet.
Captain Ironhelm

Postby Freewave » 20 Jul 2013 11:19

Awesome thanks, good to know.
Freewave

Postby vladnuke » 20 Jul 2013 11:38

Ive been on 11 since it came out, and its actually quite an improvement, they made the automation better, you have a few more options in that regard.
vladnuke

Postby PropellerEscape » 20 Jul 2013 11:58

I love FL 11 a lot more than 10. All my projects seem to run significantly better, and it has NEVER crashed once on me (FL10 would crash almost regularly)
And yes 11 does install separately to 10 so you can still use it (not sure why though, there's no backwards compatibility with 10)
You don't need to re-install anything, but you may have to copy/paste your DLL files from your FL10 folder in program files, as 11 makes a new folder (it's the same with your samples). You just have to re-select VSTs in the 'more' tab in the insert channel.
DAW - FL Studio 11

Main VSTs - Harmor, Harmless, Massive, Sytrus and FM8

My Main SoundCloud
My Experimental Soundcloud

Add me on Skype - PropellerEscapeMusic
PropellerEscape

Primary: Flel Studio 11.
Cutie Mark: Synth of Lel

Postby Tasorrog » 20 Jul 2013 12:07

Ok i thank you all for the replays, i think my questions have been answered :)

Since the x64 version is just in beta i'll wait until its done before i'll upgrade to 11.

Not sure how 16GB of Ram and a project would take forever to load in FL10. Sounds like something else may be taking place. I know some projects are bigger and more cumbersone then others and mutliple instances of some vsts or effects can make the difference during loading, play, or rendering, but as someone who has 6GB of Ram in their computer i would never describe my daw is being a huge slow loader.

some times it takes up to one/two minutes to got it loading up the project
Tasorrog

Postby Freewave » 20 Jul 2013 13:15

Ok I guess i don't conisder 1-2 min a ton of time. That's not too far off of how long it takes to do an extensive one on my Fl10 with less ram. Glad its not as bad as some people's render times.
Freewave

Postby Mr. Bigglesworth » 20 Jul 2013 20:30

FL Studio 11 doesn't really change much, it adds a couple things I'm a fan of (like vertical and horizontal lock on Automation clips allofmyyes), I haven't tried performance mode yet. It also adds some new VST's, Bassdrum (self explanitory), GMS (wavetable synth) and Effector which applies effects to things using a nifty little x axis, y axis interface.

Other than that it's the same as 10 ^^
I'm not here anymore, but if you want you can still just call me Mr. BigBagelBoggle!

Sound
Face
You
Mr. Bigglesworth

Primary: FL Studio
Cutie Mark: My own ass

Postby itroitnyah » 20 Jul 2013 22:26

Well, if it's taking a long time to load, like you've said, it's probably not your RAM, per say. More likely your processor and harddrive. My system has an FX-8350 processor, a 7200rpm 64mb cache 1tb harddrive, and 8GB of ddr3-1600 RAM, and it takes about 15 seconds for my current finished-and-waiting-to-master track project file to open. The project file is running a total of 13 audio sample clips between my drums, risers and sweeps and the skeleton track I used to structure, it has 9 synths, most of which are NI Massive, two are FL Keys, and one or two or so are z3ta+2, 42 automation clips and a total of 40 inserts across the virtual mixer, and running the project file on the most intensive parts takes up to 70% processor power. So if it takes a good 1-2 minutes for your project to load, it may be the other parts of your computer.
Image Image I am no longer an active member. here
My studio: [List of equipment]
itroitnyah

Primary: FL Studio 11

Postby Tasorrog » 21 Jul 2013 02:02

I dunno :/
Since i got a i7 2700k and the harddrive is a 2TB black, and i don't even have my os on the same drive
Tasorrog

Return to Resources, Software, and Mixing Advice