"How do I make this sound?" thread

Sample Packs? VSTs? DAWs? EQ? What DOES the knee on the Compressor do? All computer-related music making topics belong here!

"How do I make this sound?" thread

Postby Ocular » 01 May 2013 15:17

Anyone can ask, anyone can answer.
My question: How would I go about making the bass in this song?
https://soundcloud.com/exude-dubstep/exude-the-blood-shedder-free
inactive
Ocular

Re: "How do I make this sound?" thread

Postby Forza SoundFire » 01 May 2013 17:46

get freeware. load a preset. automate cutoff baa

http://youtube.com/user/forzacomposition
Contact [email protected] for;
Original Music
Sound Design/FX
Instrumental Recording (Violin, Viola, Drums, Tuned and Untuned Percussion)
Forza SoundFire

Postby Nine Volt » 01 May 2013 17:58

Exode uses reason. Which means no vsts. So no, not freeware.
Nine Volt

Postby Nine Volt » 01 May 2013 18:27

Sorry Ocular, I can't help with that bass. Not my style, so I haven't bothered checking out how to make that style of bass.
Nine Volt

Postby Lavender_Harmony » 01 May 2013 20:28

Tidied up thread. Keep it civil or I'll ban your face for a day, call this a first and final warning.
Lavender_Harmony

Primary: Not yet specified.
Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Postby Mr. Bigglesworth » 01 May 2013 20:30

I'll give it a listen when I get home and see what I can do.
I'm not here anymore, but if you want you can still just call me Mr. BigBagelBoggle!

Sound
Face
You
Mr. Bigglesworth

Primary: FL Studio
Cutie Mark: My own ass

Postby itroitnyah » 01 May 2013 20:43

Try using the waveform chrome in massive and maybe strontinium or whatever and then change to bend +/- and modulate the bend +/-, see what happens. Or something like that. I'm a bit tired so that may just give you an omnipony bass.
Image Image I am no longer an active member. here
My studio: [List of equipment]
itroitnyah

Primary: FL Studio 11

Postby ChocolateChicken » 02 May 2013 09:39

Y'know, it kinda sounds like it might have Modern Talking in it.
ChocolateChicken

Primary: Logic Pro
Cutie Mark: Blank Flank

Postby ph00tbag » 02 May 2013 11:09

Filters, FM, distortion, overdrive, bitcrushing.

No particular order.
ph00tbag
Global Moderator

Primary: FL Studio

Postby Nine Volt » 02 May 2013 12:36

ChocolateChicken wrote:Y'know, it kinda sounds like it might have Modern Talking in it.

It doesn't. Reason doesn't have VST support.

I don't think it's an FM bass though (they're not my thing so I might be wrong) but it definitely has some bitcrushing and overdrive distortion on it, probably using a filter with an LFO on the cutoff with rate automation or maybe manual automation of the filter.
Nine Volt

Postby froggy » 02 May 2013 13:38

Nine Volt wrote:I don't think it's an FM bass though (they're not my thing so I might be wrong) but it definitely has some bitcrushing and overdrive distortion on it, probably using a filter with an LFO on the cutoff with rate automation or maybe manual automation of the filter.

I think there's a good chance it's FM, I was trying to recreate this last night and I got much closer with FM8 than I did with Massive. Could also be a modulated wavetable though (either Thor or Malstrom given this is Reason), but whatever it is it sounds like it's going through a filter (going to guess resonant bandpass) and distortion afterwards.

I'm gonna keep trying to recreate this when I have time, I'll report back if I find anything
ponies are homo
froggy

Postby ChocolateChicken » 02 May 2013 20:37

It doesn't sound like bitcrushing is applied to the bass because there aren't any downsampled high end artifacts that would be there if there were bitcrushing. There are more ways to make "YAH YAH YOI YAH"s besides using a bitcrusher, and I think this song is using one of those ways.
ChocolateChicken

Postby Sugarholik » 03 May 2013 04:10

Thor has a formant filter that has probably been used with this. There's FM-y sound to it as well. I'm going to dick around with Reason and see what I can do.
Holy fuck, it's been such a long time! Thanks all 'yall everyponies! If you're a familiar username on a nostalgia trip, I sincerely hope life's been treating you well. I've certainly had quite a journey! The ride never ends! <3

Sugarholik

Primary: Renoise

Postby SpiderPubes » 03 May 2013 05:43

https://soundcloud.com/bare-back/bare-back-rainbow-and-rooted

It sounds pretty cheap to just ask flat out how someone made their synths, to me it makes it sound like I want to rip off the entire song, which isn't my intention. But the synths in this are beyond amazing (atleast to me)

I know the laser sound is just a general laser synth, I can find a tutorial for that sort of sound on youtube. But that growl and the synth that comes right after it (I don't know how to describe it) sound amazing and I'd love to know how to recreate something similar. Any tips would be greatly appreciated! Thanks guys :)
SpiderPubes

Postby Majora MIM » 03 May 2013 13:35

https://soundcloud.com/mim-music/occular-pubes

If you got massive I can send you those patches.

Occular: I used Drive III (but most analog will do fine), tuned it really low (-36) and added scream filter with LFO'd cutoff, feedback, sine shaper and hardclipper.
I also put the same LFO on the high and low shelf of the EQ, which increase the crush effect with bad boosted freq as the scream goes up.
It's not exactly the sound you're looking for, but it's just a matter of distortions/choruses/frequency splits, to get it.

Pubes: Digital wt, and... highpass filters! Highpass all the way! Just leave some resonance to give a talky effect and add waveshapers after the filters to bring back some of the lost basses.
The interesting thing here is that the highpass cuts the lows which usually sound messy with digital + resonance moves and then we get it back from the mids with the waveshappers.
Add some modulation elsewhere (formant, bend+/-, phase osc) and some chorus for max squelchiness.
You can try to follow the filter movement with the EQ frequency knob (with some boost) or make a smaller and higher boost to get different formants.

There are tons of ways to make those squelchy basses (like classic Omni bend chrome + notch combo), just mess around the digital wts. This highpass sheningan is a just one of my favorites.

Oh! And I almost forgot, more squelchiness comes with more frequency splits and choruses.
(add different choruses on each split and increase the width as you go higher. Don't over-stretch bass ones to avoid phase cancellation and listener's headhache)
Majora MIM

Postby Nine Volt » 03 May 2013 14:13

SpiderPubes wrote: https://soundcloud.com/bare-back/bare-back-rainbow-and-rooted

It sounds pretty cheap to just ask flat out how someone made their synths, to me it makes it sound like I want to rip off the entire song, which isn't my intention. But the synths in this are beyond amazing (atleast to me)

I know the laser sound is just a general laser synth, I can find a tutorial for that sort of sound on youtube. But that growl and the synth that comes right after it (I don't know how to describe it) sound amazing and I'd love to know how to recreate something similar. Any tips would be greatly appreciated! Thanks guys :)

Bare Back is on MLR, try asking him
Nine Volt

Postby ChocolateChicken » 10 May 2013 03:06

That one synth that keeps fading in and out that starts at the beginning. I think there's more to it than really good reverb.
ChocolateChicken

Postby SpiderPubes » 10 May 2013 04:23

Hi.. Me again. >.<
I've been trying to recreate the lead synth in this for a while now, and I'm having no luck. I'm still an idiot when it comes to making patches but can someone point me in the right direction?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNjJQpBq0lo
SpiderPubes

Postby Majora MIM » 10 May 2013 06:15

ChocolateChicken, just layer some pads, play one really low and maybe add some disto if it doesn't sound hard enough.

SpiderPubes which lead are you trying to get? There are so many synths in here.
If you're talking about the first "lead" then I'd say to try just tons of detuned saws with chorus and unison.
Majora MIM

Postby SpiderPubes » 10 May 2013 06:54

Majora MIM wrote:ChocolateChicken, just layer some pads, play one really low and maybe add some disto if it doesn't sound hard enough.

SpiderPubes which lead are you trying to get? There are so many synths in here.
If you're talking about the first "lead" then I'd say to try just tons of detuned saws with chorus and unison.

The lead that starts at 0:00 and ends at 0:13.
The sort of mid/high pitched lead.
SpiderPubes

Postby Captain Ironhelm » 10 May 2013 10:47

SpiderPubes wrote:The lead that starts at 0:00 and ends at 0:13.
The sort of mid/high pitched lead.

I hear a piano/bell-like sound and a supersaw pluck. Run a lp filter sweep over it, and automate over time the decay on the pluck's envelope to last longer, and you'll be pretty close to the song's intro.

For the pluck, choose a sawtooth wave, set the voices to 7, detune them slightly, make a quick attack, short decay, and no sustain.
Captain Ironhelm

Postby SevenUpPony » 15 May 2013 12:56

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDGP6smPYUA This sound right here the first sound you here and is played throughout the song the moment I first heard this song I wanted to see how to make that bassy lead sound so any ideas?
https://soundcloud.com/sevenupp0n3/chasing-a-dream-before-time

"stoof"

DAW: FL Studio 10,11 [main], Ableton [meh], Cubase 5 [sorta]

VST's: Massive, Sylenth1, Zeta+2, Kontakt 5

Genres: DnB, House/Trance?,Ambient, Orchestral
SevenUpPony

Primary: FL Studio 12 Signature Bundle
Cutie Mark: Soda can

Postby Majora MIM » 15 May 2013 16:27

SevenUpPony wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDGP6smPYUA This sound right here the first sound you here and is played throughout the song the moment I first heard this song I wanted to see how to make that bassy lead sound so any ideas?

I see you got Massive.
Try to mess around the woody wavetable (wt position all the way to the left) and full bend + at -24 semitones with some waveshaper insert and portamento.

RM works nice on this sound and you can also try a LP filter (daft is cool).
Majora MIM

Postby Raddons » 15 May 2013 19:13

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qU6LyQHu ... 3&index=15

intro synth. i know it's something super simple, square with an envelope on a low pass? i just wanna be sure. i can't really test it atm.
Raddons

Primary: Not yet specified.

Postby Stars In Autumn » 16 May 2013 00:34

Raddons wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qU6LyQHuDRY&list=PLBD2ED6A5E33F40F3&index=15

intro synth. i know it's something super simple, square with an envelope on a low pass? i just wanna be sure. i can't really test it atm.

Sounds woodwindish, so might try triangles as well. Not an instantaneous attack. Fairly quick decay.
-Stars In Autumn aka Jeffthestrider
Stars In Autumn
Site Admin

Primary: FL
Cutie Mark: Myself

Next

Return to Resources, Software, and Mixing Advice