How to make a violin in a synth

Sample Packs? VSTs? DAWs? EQ? What DOES the knee on the Compressor do? All computer-related music making topics belong here!

How to make a violin in a synth

Postby Ocular » 22 Apr 2013 06:32

This wasn't my idea, I heard it from CDPP.
Hope it helps, though.

1) Get a synth with 3 oscillators.
2) Pick 2 triangle waves and a saw wave
3) Turn one triangle up one octave
4) Detune the lower triangle and saw waves by just a tiny bit
5) Turn the attack up, it needs to be pretty slow
6) Add a chorus and a phaser and play around with it until it sounds closer to a violin

There you go. Not completely realistic, but it works in a pinch.
inactive
Ocular

Re: How to make a violin in a synth

Postby Forza SoundFire » 22 Apr 2013 18:32

if you're looking for realism, ask a violinist. there's quite a few good ones around

http://youtube.com/user/forzacomposition
Contact [email protected] for;
Original Music
Sound Design/FX
Instrumental Recording (Violin, Viola, Drums, Tuned and Untuned Percussion)
Forza SoundFire

Postby Magnitude Zero » 22 Apr 2013 19:09

Not bad! I was actually surprised by how violinny it sounds for such a simple synth, especially with an LFO on the pitch for some vibrato. I wouldn't use it if I wanted an actual violin sound but this certainly has its uses.
Forza SoundFire wrote:if you're looking for realism, ask a violinist. there's quite a few good ones around

Anyone in particular you'd recommend, just off the top of your head? I don't see myself needing a violinist anytime soon but these contacts are always nice to have.
Formerly known as Blind

DAW: FL Studio 10
Style: Chill/Downtempo

Soundcloud | Youtube | Tumblr
Magnitude Zero

Primary: FL Studio 10
Cutie Mark: Horse butt not large enough

Postby Nine Volt » 22 Apr 2013 21:22

Some of us prefer to work alone, Forza. I personally enjoy not having to ask for a rerecording every time I want to change the melody, or a recording for every slight variation.

I'll try building this tomorrow, I've already got some ideas (namely making it have a fast attack and decay and no release, to get some kind of stringy pluck.)
Nine Volt

Postby CDPP » 22 Apr 2013 21:38

Yay I got mentioned on a post

Also, adjust the chorus instead so it acts as the vibrato rather than needing to use another lfo
CDPP

Postby CaptainFluffatun » 22 Apr 2013 22:49

If you're looking for legitimate violin sounds AND prefer to work alone, I would highly recommend using sample libraries for NI Kontakt. Much, MUCH more realistic than a synthesizer. Still not as good as an actual player but damn close to it.
CaptainFluffatun

Primary: Cubase 5
Cutie Mark: Orchestral

Postby Forza SoundFire » 22 Apr 2013 23:13

Off the top of my head, oh wow, hmm...
RisenFromTheDust (knowledge in tech)
Rajiv PM (good vln player, not sure on recording method)
VivaceCapriccio (very good - but very busy)
Carbon (something? I forget. maybe he plays 'cello?)
YoLovesakura

I've been messaged by some others wanting to do collabs, and I've seen others (recently) with mixes on EqD's MotD. You'll find some here if you post a callout.
It has been rumoured that I take a bow to strings infrequently.

As far as VIs, sample modeling make really great solo brass and woodwind instruments. They don't currently have strings, but they are the same guys behind Garritan's now 'out of production' Gofriller Cello & Stradivari Violin VIs
It'll be worth keeping an eye on them to see if they release some updated solo strings.

If you're synthesising, consider adding a little mid/low filtered noise to reflect the action of the bow on the strings.

Nine Volt wrote:Some of us prefer to work alone, Forza. I personally enjoy not having to ask for a rerecording every time I want to change the melody, or a recording for every slight variation.

And you won't be respected, asking for a rerecording every time you want to change something; that's no way to treat someone doing a favour for you.
Each way has its own benefits. Draft it using samples/synths and get it recorded for final production, as a pro production might do.
Of course, it's worth considering how much the effort of getting a live part recorded is. If you have a low value on your music and it's difficult to get a recording, it may be best to stick with a VI. Completely situational.
I'd also suggest engaging with people is how you get contacts. You'll find it very tricky to get anywhere unless you're willing to get out of your comfort zone and participate.

CaptainFluffatun wrote: If you're looking for legitimate violin sounds AND prefer to work alone, I would highly recommend using sample libraries for NI Kontakt. Much, MUCH more realistic than a synthesizer. Still not as good as an actual player but damn close to it.

NI have got some interesting things that I'd like to have a go at, notably Action Strings.
Another good string VI that uses Kontact is AudioBro's LASS, which I believe has solo and section strings (i think?).
Last edited by Forza SoundFire on 23 Apr 2013 07:13, edited 1 time in total.

http://youtube.com/user/forzacomposition
Contact [email protected] for;
Original Music
Sound Design/FX
Instrumental Recording (Violin, Viola, Drums, Tuned and Untuned Percussion)
Forza SoundFire

Postby CaptainFluffatun » 22 Apr 2013 23:43

Forza SoundFire wrote:Carbon (something? I forget. maybe he plays 'cello?)

Carbon Maestro?
CaptainFluffatun

Primary: Cubase 5
Cutie Mark: Orchestral

Postby Callenby » 23 Apr 2013 00:22

Forza SoundFire wrote:
CaptainFluffatun wrote: If you're looking for legitimate violin sounds AND prefer to work alone, I would highly recommend using sample libraries for NI Kontakt. Much, MUCH more realistic than a synthesizer. Still not as good as an actual player but damn close to it.

NI have got some interesting things that I'd like to have a go at, notably Action Strings.
Another good string VI that uses Kontact is AudioBro's LASS, wich I believe has solo and section strings (i think?).

LASS is great, but quite expensive. But if you've got the budget I would look into 8dio's Adagio series as well.

If, however, money is an issue you could try Cinematic Strings 2 instead. It's $500 retail but if you're a student you can get 50% off like I did.

As for solo violin VSTIs there's EastWest but Embertone will be releasing one pretty soon and it sounds gorgeous. Both of those are around $100 apiece.
"Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist." - Pablo Picasso
Free online classes (including music) can be found here. Credit for my avatar goes to Lolo.

Tumblr / YouTube / Soundcloud
Callenby

Primary: Cubase 7.5
Cutie Mark: Double bass clef heart

Return to Resources, Software, and Mixing Advice