Padssss (Logic Pro, Mac)

Sample Packs? VSTs? DAWs? EQ? What DOES the knee on the Compressor do? All computer-related music making topics belong here!

Padssss (Logic Pro, Mac)

Postby prozeyic » 04 Apr 2013 12:20

Any advice on what I should use to create some soothing pads. Aiming for something similar to PinkiePieSwear. Maybe choir sounding pads, but also synth-y and stringy ones

Feel free to suggest plugins and all that
prozeyic

Primary: Ableton Live 9
Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Re: Padssss (Logic Pro, Mac)

Postby Friv » 04 Apr 2013 12:30

Well PPS uses Nexus, so you could start there, but pads are relatively simple;
here's a great technique using no synths (i know this isn't in your DAW, but the idea can be applied to everything):

Or you could do it with synths, here's a tutorial using a free synth

For stringy pads, just use some orchestral soundfonts, add some chorus and reverb, and viola!
Here's some free soundfonts you can use for this.]
Well I'm pretty much done with this site (it wasn't about the April Fool's joke I actually loved that). If for some reason somebody wants to contact me or something (not like any of you even care lol):
email: [email protected]
Friv

Postby Magnitude Zero » 04 Apr 2013 12:50

iirc PinkiePieSwear uses Nexus for his pads. I'd advise against doing that because I think using presets is boring, but if you're okay with them then by all means.

I don't use Logic, and mostly use FL's 3xOsc for my pads, so I can't really go into specifics. Generally, though, this is what I do: long attack and long release; subtle modulation of filters, detune, and sometimes panning; stereo detuning, delay, and chorus for stereo width. If I want it to sound choir-y, I layer it with a choir synth - a free one is DSK ChoirZ, but since it is free and generally not the greatest one around you might need to do some heavy EQing to make it fit.

Friv wrote:For stringy pads, just use some orchestral soundfonts, add some chorus and reverb, and viola!

Not sure if typo, or awesome pun. Good advice there though! I'll have to look at that sampling video, sounds right up my alley!
Formerly known as Blind

DAW: FL Studio 10
Style: Chill/Downtempo

Soundcloud | Youtube | Tumblr
Magnitude Zero

Primary: FL Studio 10
Cutie Mark: Horse butt not large enough

Postby Friv » 04 Apr 2013 12:54

Magnitude Zero wrote:Not sure if typo, or awesome pun.

Both!
Well I'm pretty much done with this site (it wasn't about the April Fool's joke I actually loved that). If for some reason somebody wants to contact me or something (not like any of you even care lol):
Friv

Postby prozeyic » 04 Apr 2013 13:38

Thanks, I know that you can make pads by looping vowels and stuff. I've never actually tried it myself though. Looks like fun though, and would probably come out with some interesting sounds
prozeyic

Postby the4thImpulse » 04 Apr 2013 13:57

Reverb, ping pong delays, multi voice chorusing, using multiple oscillators with varied octaves and semitones (5,7), multiple filters with individual modulation, modulating oscillator wave shapes, longer amp attacks and moderate release.
the4thImpulse

Primary: Ableton Live 8

Postby prozeyic » 04 Apr 2013 14:38

I know what goes into a pad, but I'm new to logic and don't know which synth I should use for it.

Also, what is a ping pong delay?
prozeyic

Postby Friv » 04 Apr 2013 14:46

prozeyic wrote:I know what goes into a pad, but I'm new to logic and don't know which synth I should use for it.

I think the ES2 should work

Ping pong delay is an effect which is the same as a normal delay (a fading echo of the sound) except the echo-ing is being played in stereo, as in the first echo is panned to the left, the second is panned to the right, and so on. It creates a more atmospheric effect than a normal delay, so it would definitely help your pads.
Friv

Postby Lavender_Harmony » 04 Apr 2013 14:55

Sculpture is very good at organic pads
Lavender_Harmony

Primary: Not yet specified.

Postby JSynth » 04 Apr 2013 15:09

Friv wrote:Or you could do it with synths, here's a tutorial using a free synth

Just pointing this out.
Logic will not take Synth1. Apple is a jerk and doesn't like VSTs.

Just use some of the built in synths for Logic. Most of them should be quite capable of creating a great pad.
https://soundcloud.com/jasper-synth/back-at-me
Jokeblue wrote:You fool. You've doomed the Spam thread to yet another, inevitable :3 spam.

My Tumblr
My YouTube
My SoundCloud

DAW: Logic Pro 9
Plugins: Sylenth, Sausage Fattener, Komplete 9, NI The Mouth, Ozone 5, Bitspeek
JSynth

Primary: Logic 9
Cutie Mark: yo face

Postby the4thImpulse » 04 Apr 2013 15:17

prozeyic wrote:I know what goes into a pad, but I'm new to logic and don't know which synth I should use for it.

Sorry, I misunderstood your question. But if a synth features everything I mentioned up there then you know it wil be capable of making decent pads. I really like z3ta+2 for pads and pretty much other every sound, it's a great sounding synth and has far more modulation capabilities that many other synths due to its waveshaping oscillators. It costs $100 but it will last you a long, long time. I have stopped using all my other soft synths because it can do everything.

A pong pony (yay~ ipad autocorrect, i meant ping pong) delay is nothing more than a regular delay that bounces between the left and right instead of playing in the center of the mix.
Last edited by the4thImpulse on 04 Apr 2013 17:55, edited 1 time in total.
the4thImpulse

Primary: Ableton Live 8

Postby prozeyic » 04 Apr 2013 17:45

z3ta+2

What an easy name to remember...

I'll write it down.
prozeyic

Postby Applejinx » 04 Apr 2013 18:59

the4thImpulse wrote:A pong pony (yay~ ipad autocorrect, i meant ping pong) delay is nothing more than a regular delay that bounces between the left and right instead of playing in the center of the mix.

I now totally want a pong pony delay :D
Applejinx

Postby Symphon » 04 Apr 2013 19:33

Pretty much any FM synth is good for getting soft pads, in my experience. Like, FM8 for example. Set all the oscillators to sines or something very close to it, like a triangle or organ wave. Set three of the six oscillators to +12 semitones, and then detune every oscillator except for the first by just a tiny bit. Then, increase the amount of voices to 4-8. Increase the detune of the voices until it appears soft or stringy, and then add some pan to the voices. Maybe add a chorus for good measures, and ta-da! A nice, sweet pad you can use for dark undertones or angelic sweeps.

Edit: Considering I don't know what Logic takes, look into nice FM synths, like I said. I'm pretty sure most NI VSTs, including FM8, will be able to be used.
DAW: FL Studio 10, Ableton Live 8
Main VSTs: Harmor, Toxic Biohazard, FM8, Sylenth1, Nexus, Sytrus.
Main genres: Trance, Electro
https://soundcloud.com/choonsofficial/the-prodigy-voodoo-people
Symphon

Primary: FL Studio 11
Cutie Mark: Trance

Postby ChocolateChicken » 04 Apr 2013 22:46

The EXS24 instrument also has some very good sampled sounds, including pads. One of my favorite pads is a synth string patch you can find by opening EXS24, then open the presets menu (or the "Library" tab under the "Media" button on the top right of Logic Pro), and selecting "Synthesizers," then "Synth Strings."

The presets you find there should all be very lovely strings for what you're looking for. My favorite dance pad is the "Megafat Superstrings." It is just so great and I have been unable to replicate the sound in other synths!

There should also be plenty of other ambient-type synths in there as well.

Also try using the sampled choir sounds in the sampler as well. You'd be surprised with just how well some of the choirs can fit into most genres and songs. :D
ChocolateChicken

Primary: Logic Pro
Cutie Mark: Blank Flank

Postby HMage » 05 Apr 2013 10:21

Sounds like some people here expect to have a great pad by playing just one note.

Chords, guys, chords with bass notes make pads richer.
HMage

Primary: Ableton

Postby ph00tbag » 05 Apr 2013 14:41

the4thImpulse wrote:Reverb, ping pong delays, multi voice chorusing, using multiple oscillators with varied octaves and semitones (5,7), multiple filters with individual modulation, modulating oscillator wave shapes, longer amp attacks and moderate release.

In addition to these methods, it also helps to throw in atmospheric effects that fade in and out throughout the pad like growls and arps to give it an organic character.

In general, making different elements fill space at different times is a big part of making your pads sound alive.
ph00tbag
Global Moderator

Primary: FL Studio

Postby Nine Volt » 05 Apr 2013 21:42

What I like to do is create the main portion of my thread with 3 or 4 note chords, then transpose the root notes (I think that's the correct term? It's the lowest notes) down 1 octave, then maybe do it again depending on how high up it still is. I tend to go down to C1 range (pretty sure that's C2 on FL).

But yeah, you're not going to get a good pad out of 1 note or 2.
Nine Volt

Postby Navron » 06 Apr 2013 09:15

Nine Volt wrote:But yeah, you're not going to get a good pad out of 1 note or 2.

Someone hasn't played with Absynth very much.
DAW: Cubase 6.5, Ableton Live 8
Preferred Genre: Industrial/Trance
Hardware: Schecter Diamond Series Bass, Yamaha Acoustic Guitar, BP355 Effects Pedal, Keystudio 49K Keyboard, Akai APC40, Korg nanoKEY2 25k Keyboard
Navron
Global Moderator

Primary: Cubase 6.5

Postby GumsOfGabby » 06 Apr 2013 09:45

Navron wrote:
Nine Volt wrote:But yeah, you're not going to get a good pad out of 1 note or 2.

Someone hasn't played with Absynth very much.

Or any synth that has 3+ Oscillators and unison settings
Youtube | Soundcloud

FL/Massive noob

Need a bit of feedback? Don't be shy to send me a PM along with your sample.
GumsOfGabby

Postby Nine Volt » 06 Apr 2013 11:02

I use Reason, so yes, I haven't played with Absynth. At all.

But given that Reason's synth Thor has 3 oscillators to begin with (and you can very easily route them together to get more) and an inbuilt unison effect, yes, I have created good pads using only 1 or 2 notes. I meant that generally it takes more than just 1 or 2 to make a good pad. There are always exceptions.
Nine Volt

Postby HMage » 06 Apr 2013 17:10

Playing chords on pads gives, you know, ability to play different chords. One-note chords limit you to the level that you can only just transpose same chord. No extensions, no minor/majors, no inversions.
HMage

Primary: Ableton

Return to Resources, Software, and Mixing Advice