How do you export your final mix?

Sample Packs? VSTs? DAWs? EQ? What DOES the knee on the Compressor do? All computer-related music making topics belong here!

What's your preferred mixing technique?

Audio Only (I export each instrument and mix it as an audio track.)
13%
Instrument Track Only (I mix each instrument while it's still an instrument track [note: excluding vocals and live instruments.])
55%
Mixture of the Two (Some instruments I export, others I don't.)
30%
Other (Please Specify)
2%

Total votes : 53

How do you export your final mix?

Postby Navron » 30 Mar 2013 11:16

Kind of came up with this question after watching a few tutorial videos by known artists. A lot of them have nothing but audio samples in their DAW. Audio for basses, leads, drums, etc.

I myself, generally have little to no actual audio content. Most of my exported tracks involve instrument tracks and the MIDI information, with maybe one or two audio tracks for vocals or chopped up samples.

So what do you personally do? Do you export tracks as audio before mixing? Export after mixing? Or do you just simply keep everything in instrument tracks and mix through that?
DAW: Cubase 6.5, Ableton Live 8
Preferred Genre: Industrial/Trance
Hardware: Schecter Diamond Series Bass, Yamaha Acoustic Guitar, BP355 Effects Pedal, Keystudio 49K Keyboard, Akai APC40, Korg nanoKEY2 25k Keyboard
Navron
Global Moderator

Primary: Cubase 6.5

Re: How do you export your final mix?

Postby the4thImpulse » 30 Mar 2013 11:35

I export one audio track, the master track.

I do all my mixing and mastering in the same project now, it keeps everything cleaner for me. Some times I leave the vsts as they are other times I bounce them down, it really depends how I need to mix the particular sound or if I want to do stutter effects. I mix along the way when I make a track, there is no 'mixdown/recording/creating/sound design' stages, its all bundled together and that's how I like it!
the4thImpulse

Primary: Ableton Live 8
Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Postby itroitnyah » 30 Mar 2013 11:48

I've never really tried mixing by exporting parts of a track and adding them back in as audio files, just seems like a lot of work to me. So until someone tells me the benefits of doing that, I'm pretty content with simply mixing and then exporting the entire thing.
Image Image I am no longer an active member. here
My studio: [List of equipment]
itroitnyah

Primary: FL Studio 11

Postby Lavender_Harmony » 30 Mar 2013 13:15

I mix in the project itself. If I run into underrun city, I'll bounce some CPU intensive tracks into the project, or just freeze them, I don't need to export anything and bring it back in, Logic is sensible like that.
Lavender_Harmony

Primary: Not yet specified.

Postby Freewave » 30 Mar 2013 13:27

Only back in the day when i had a pc that could not handle an intensive workload did i import stuff to audio first and then re-import back in. It will help if your cpu cant handle all the vst's, mid's and effect going on. But with a better pc I'm to the regular method of single track export from the full project (although I re-import that unmastered file for the final mastering).
Links for my music: YouTube, Bandcamp, and Tumblr
Check out the Brony Music Directory and FimMusic. A portal for all pony music
Support the 20+ Musician Maressey Project currently underway.
Freewave

Primary: Fl Studio 10
Cutie Mark: X$X

Postby Fimbulin » 30 Mar 2013 13:28

I mix everything inside the project. I treat all my instrument tracks alike, whether they are recorded, sampled, or synthesized. One thing I've found myself doing alot of recently is setting my instrument tracks to a very low volume and mixing up, treating everything like a live recording. Sampled MIDI controlled sound vs. live sound recordings don't matter much to me, although sometimes I do make some pre-renderings of the sampled sounds so that I can expedite some direct editing techniques.
Analytical music theorist!
http://www.youtube.com/fimbulinmusic
http://www.soundcloud.com/fimbulin

FL Studio, Kontakt 5, orchestral mostly. I buy my gear.
I haunt skype so ask me questions there or viewtopic.php?f=32&t=8502
Fimbulin

Postby Aurum Noble » 30 Mar 2013 15:01

I tend to do both.
Aurum Noble

Primary: Ableton Live
Cutie Mark: Synths!

Postby XXDarkShadow79XX » 30 Mar 2013 19:48

Wait, the title question is misleading. I thought you meant how you export your final mix so you can master it. Can I have some clarification on what the question means? I may have hit the wrong answer.
XXDarkShadow79XX

Primary: FL

Postby Navron » 31 Mar 2013 09:42

XXDarkShadow79XX wrote:Wait, the title question is misleading. I thought you meant how you export your final mix so you can master it. Can I have some clarification on what the question means? I may have hit the wrong answer.

Think of the question as asking, "When it comes time to export your final mix to a single stereo file for mastering, is every track an audio track, or do you keep your instrument tracks?"
DAW: Cubase 6.5, Ableton Live 8
Preferred Genre: Industrial/Trance
Hardware: Schecter Diamond Series Bass, Yamaha Acoustic Guitar, BP355 Effects Pedal, Keystudio 49K Keyboard, Akai APC40, Korg nanoKEY2 25k Keyboard
Navron
Global Moderator

Primary: Cubase 6.5

Postby XXDarkShadow79XX » 31 Mar 2013 10:02

Navron wrote:
XXDarkShadow79XX wrote:Wait, the title question is misleading. I thought you meant how you export your final mix so you can master it. Can I have some clarification on what the question means? I may have hit the wrong answer.

Think of the question as asking, "When it comes time to export your final mix to a single stereo file for mastering, is every track an audio track, or do you keep your instrument tracks?"

I'm still not sure i understand. Is the question: Do I mix as one audio track, or each individual instrument?
XXDarkShadow79XX

Primary: FL

Postby ph00tbag » 31 Mar 2013 10:29

I go with a little bit of both depending on how much I'm overloading my cpu. For the most part, I don't really need to get excessive with it, though. I tend to just mix instruments.
ph00tbag
Global Moderator

Primary: FL Studio

Postby Conduit » 31 Mar 2013 12:29

XXDarkShadow79XX wrote:
Navron wrote:

I'm still not sure i understand. Is the question: Do I mix as one audio track, or each individual instrument?

He's asking if you mix keeping the tracks as midi, or if you bounce them to audio first.
https://soundcloud.com/flatflish/a-warm-past

DAW: Logic 9
Vst's: Absynth, Battery, FM8, Guitar Rig, Kontakt, Massive, Maschine
Real Instruments: Acoustic/Electric Guitar, Cello, Piano

YoutubeSoundcloudTutors ThreadSkype: FlatflishImage
Conduit

Primary: Logic Pro 9
Cutie Mark: Strings

Postby cplbradley » 31 Mar 2013 14:45

The actual mix is done with instruments, but the master is done after the entire song is exported as a wav
Honorary Member of the Yoy and Whistle Club
https://soundcloud.com/cplbradley/perfectly-natural
cplbradley

Primary: Not yet specified.
Cutie Mark: Distorted Fart Noises

Postby vladnuke » 31 Mar 2013 15:10

It really depends on what I'm mixing. Sometimes a track will contain multiple channels, an aggregate of bass patches, and they'll all be mixed within that track already, so in that case, I find it more handy to pop that into a single wav rather than mess with each individually. Somethimes I've got a bunch of show samples/similar things on one track, in which case I again export as a single wav. But if I have only one patch on a track, then I just leave it there, because there's no point in bouncing it to audio, as in the case of Kontakt patches and stuff like that.

Of course, mastering is done by rendering out the whole song, dropping it into a new project file, and applying mastering EQ and compression. After rendering out the full, mastered WAV, I then put it into Sony Soundforge and turn it into an MP3, just because its easier to change ID3 tags there. Also because it lets me analyze the sound better.
vladnuke

Postby JSynth » 03 Apr 2013 14:18

I mix in my DAW. It just a easier to do it that way.
After that, I export my final mix as an aiff, then reimport it for mastering.

The reason these known artists have audio tracks, is probably because they record their tracks with real instruments.
https://soundcloud.com/jasper-synth/back-at-me
Jokeblue wrote:You fool. You've doomed the Spam thread to yet another, inevitable :3 spam.

My Tumblr
My YouTube
My SoundCloud

DAW: Logic Pro 9
Plugins: Sylenth, Sausage Fattener, Komplete 9, NI The Mouth, Ozone 5, Bitspeek
JSynth

Primary: Logic 9
Cutie Mark: yo face

Postby JayB » 04 Apr 2013 04:42

What leaves my DAW after I'm done with a song is a single 44 kHz 24 bit stereo WAV file with the complete song. The mastering happens externally, because my mastering chain causes a latency which I don't want in the arrangement.
YouTubeHomepage
DAW: Apple Logic Pro 9
Hardware gear: Yamaha AN1x, S80, PLG150-AN, QY100, Roland V-Synth XT, Korg X5D, Quasimidi Sirius, CME UF7
Audio Units: Lennar Digital Sylenth, LinPlug CronoX, Korg Legacy Collection Analog and more...
JayB

Primary: Apple Logic Pro 9
Cutie Mark: three crossed tuning forks

Postby colortwelve » 04 Apr 2013 07:42

My computer is kind of a piece of crap, so I export audio tracks. I also find it helps me focus all of my energy on composing first, leaving me to work more with production when I mix (because I also don't add loops or SFX or vocals or anything while I'm writing a track - not every track needs so much of it anyway).
Youtube -- Soundcloud -- Tumblr -- Bandcamp (new album out!)

I can't feel my brain.
colortwelve

Postby Kushy Kallous » 04 Apr 2013 12:25

Well, I export many tracks due to the CPU intensive nature of most of my VSTs.
So I'll get all my recording done, then do up a 'mix bus' (compressor, multibandcomp, eqs, etc.) and export what I have.
This is sort of like a pre-mix,

I'll then take the tracks and plug them back in, mix them again/more until I can't go anymore due to unintelligibly due to lag. Then I'll repeat the process.

After the second mix, I'll plug it back in for a final 'touch-up' mix, then export all that into one file,
which I try my best to master : ( sadly, my tale of mastering is all to common around these parts.

As a rapper, I deal in vocals, so I deal in audio files EXCLUSIVELY.
Except for when I remix a beat/add a beat to a track,
Then it's the same case anyway because of my shitty computer!
To judge ones intellect seems ignorant in reality.
--
New to everything.
https://soundcloud.com/andy-eivaz/madhouse-for-equines-overdose
<non-pony/pony> I just rap
SoundCloud
YouTube
Kushy Kallous

Postby HMage » 04 Apr 2013 16:03

File->Render, 32-bit float wav, no dither.

I see no reason to bounce software instruments to wavs just for final render. DAW will render them into audio internally before mixing anyway.
HMage

Primary: Ableton

Postby Nine Volt » 04 Apr 2013 18:41

I mix with the instrument tracks, then bounce out a 32-bit float, no dither, then do my mastering externally.
Nine Volt

Postby JayB » 05 Apr 2013 03:43

The only reason for me to export a single synth as WAV is to make reverse effects.
YouTubeHomepage
DAW: Apple Logic Pro 9
Hardware gear: Yamaha AN1x, S80, PLG150-AN, QY100, Roland V-Synth XT, Korg X5D, Quasimidi Sirius, CME UF7
Audio Units: Lennar Digital Sylenth, LinPlug CronoX, Korg Legacy Collection Analog and more...
JayB

Primary: Apple Logic Pro 9
Cutie Mark: three crossed tuning forks

Postby GumsOfGabby » 06 Apr 2013 13:13

HMage wrote:File->Render, 32-bit float wav, no dither.

I see no reason to bounce software instruments to wavs just for final render. DAW will render them into audio internally before mixing anyway.

I had a problem with Syrtus where my bass would sound fine during DAW playback, but when I exported the whole song, the bass sounded very white noise-y and messy. When I bounced it and then exported the entire thing, it sounded fine. No idea what went on there...
Youtube | Soundcloud

FL/Massive noob

Need a bit of feedback? Don't be shy to send me a PM along with your sample.
GumsOfGabby

Postby Gray Ham » 09 Apr 2013 04:22

A downside to my DAW is that some instruments can't be mixed properly, so I end up doing the first option for most of my songs.
currently on a hiatus from actively making music due to school

ImageImage
What's soaking wet and clueless?
Gray Ham

Primary: ACID
Cutie Mark: A Trumpet

Return to Resources, Software, and Mixing Advice