[Help]How do I produce french house??

Sample Packs? VSTs? DAWs? EQ? What DOES the knee on the Compressor do? All computer-related music making topics belong here!

[Help]How do I produce french house??

Postby Thelastdevastator » 25 Mar 2013 13:58

Alright first I want to say sorry if there is already a thread for this so If I am double posting then sorry.

So I've been listening to french house for a few good years now and I want to try my hand at trying to produce some house of that style I'm inspired by N'Joy,Daft punk and a producer by the name of secret sun.

I should mention that my DAW is FL studio's 10 producers edition and that I'm a noob with sampling so I made need tips for that.

First question
How do I get a sample of a song to fit with the tempo I'm trying to get the song to adjust to.

Second
Basic tips on the production of french house such as side compression,bass.
What types of drum kits to use (I know it might be helpful to use some of the TR-505's and TR-707's I have sitting in my daw)

Third
Is there a separate melody in french house besides the one provided by the song you sample.

Any tips on french house would be much appreciated and if I didn't leave enough information about what exactly what I'm trying to do then please alert me.

(Also if there is already a thread about this then sorry for the double post)
We Chrono Reactor now [formerly known as The Last Devastator]
Currently working on: Getting better Mixdowns|Sound Design|Music Theory
https://soundcloud.com/the-devastation/anemoneoriginal-mix
Thelastdevastator

Primary: Fl Studio 10 *I don't like 11*
Cutie Mark: A clock and a Nuclear Reactor

Re: [Help]How do I produce french house??

Postby cplbradley » 25 Mar 2013 14:07

1. Be french
2. Make house
3. ???????
4. PROFIT!!!!
Honorary Member of the Yoy and Whistle Club
https://soundcloud.com/cplbradley/perfectly-natural
cplbradley

Primary: Not yet specified.
Cutie Mark: Distorted Fart Noises

Postby Thelastdevastator » 25 Mar 2013 14:11

cplbradley wrote:1. Be french
2. Make house
3. ???????
4. PROFIT!!!!

Damn I wish I was french now.
I will never make da magics with french style beats now.
Thelastdevastator

Postby itroitnyah » 25 Mar 2013 14:16

To get a sample to fit a BPM, click on the sample at the very left end of the sample on the sequencer to show the drop down menu, and you can click "Adjust to Temp", it's easy from that point on.

Watch this for sidechaining stuff.

Work on sound design to get some good basses. Like you may have seen in many many other threads, the majority of synths come with manuals of some sort. Read the manual and practice with the synth, occasionally watch a youtube tutorial video on doing a bass (but don't steal the bass), and just practice all over again.

The drums to use in any genre of music don't matter a whole lot. One genre of music doesn't have a specific kick or snare sample that belong to it, or a certain sounding kick/snare that go with it. I've heard a dubstep song with a solid kick and then listened to another dubstep song with a more thumpy 808-like kick. There are just certain sounding kick/snares that are commonly used in genres of music. My advice is to just layer samples to make your own kick and get it to sound how you want. Or if you're really interested in getting a good kick, you could try synthesizing your own.

Take a french house song that you like and place it in the sequencer, changing the BPM to match the song, and copy the structure of the song, it'll make your songs better. Don't steal the chord progressions or anything, but just like, place risers where there are risers in the ghost track, place drops and breakdowns where they are in the ghost track, etc. I'm doing that with a WIP that I'm almost done with, and it's definitely helpful.
Image Image I am no longer an active member. here
My studio: [List of equipment]
itroitnyah

Primary: FL Studio 11
Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Postby Thelastdevastator » 25 Mar 2013 15:48

itroitnyah wrote:To get a sample to fit a BPM, click on the sample at the very left end of the sample on the sequencer to show the drop down menu, and you can click "Adjust to Temp", it's easy from that point on.

Watch this for sidechaining stuff.

Work on sound design to get some good basses. Like you may have seen in many many other threads, the majority of synths come with manuals of some sort. Read the manual and practice with the synth, occasionally watch a youtube tutorial video on doing a bass (but don't steal the bass), and just practice all over again.

The drums to use in any genre of music don't matter a whole lot. One genre of music doesn't have a specific kick or snare sample that belong to it, or a certain sounding kick/snare that go with it. I've heard a dubstep song with a solid kick and then listened to another dubstep song with a more thumpy 808-like kick. There are just certain sounding kick/snares that are commonly used in genres of music. My advice is to just layer samples to make your own kick and get it to sound how you want. Or if you're really interested in getting a good kick, you could try synthesizing your own.

Take a french house song that you like and place it in the sequencer, changing the BPM to match the song, and copy the structure of the song, it'll make your songs better. Don't steal the chord progressions or anything, but just like, place risers where there are risers in the ghost track, place drops and breakdowns where they are in the ghost track, etc. I'm doing that with a WIP that I'm almost done with, and it's definitely helpful.

Thank you for the feed back.
I have a bunch of kicks so that might not be the problem but making my own from scratch seems difficult which means I get to practice something new.

Also side chaining compression sounds weird with a sample is there a certain way I should cut the sample to get it to fit a bit more in tune with the beat??
Thelastdevastator

Postby Majora MIM » 25 Mar 2013 16:39

Hi!

The best tip I can give you to produce a specific music style is to listen to some songs of said style and try to reproduce the same sounds.
To understand how some synths work, you can search similar ones in the presets that come with your VSTs and break them down.

Mixing is an essential part of your song production and to help you sounding like your favorite artists, I suggest you get a spectrum analyser and a dynamic range meter. Then drop a song of said artist (sounding as close as what you want to achieve) and analyse it with the spectrum analyser and DR-meter. Then try to mix your song in order to have the same result.

Some good free plugins:
Voxengo SPAN (spectrum analyser + phase correlation meter).
TT dynamic range meter (DR-meter).

Oh! And I'm french by the way.
(but I've never done "french" house before... Well exepted if all the house I make count as "french" just because I am ^^ )
Majora MIM

Postby itroitnyah » 25 Mar 2013 16:54

Thelastdevastator wrote:I have a bunch of kicks so that might not be the problem but making my own from scratch seems difficult which means I get to practice something new.
You just take some samples and put them on top of each other, mix them a bit to get them to sound good together, doing a bit more mixing on the master channel from the mixer board to make sure that bass isn't clipping or anything, put a bit of reverb and compression on it, and you have yourself a kick sample.

Thelastdevastator wrote:Also side chaining compression sounds weird with a sample is there a certain way I should cut the sample to get it to fit a bit more in tune with the beat??
Reduce the compression threshold or the ratio of the limiter.
itroitnyah

Postby Thelastdevastator » 25 Mar 2013 17:45

https://soundcloud.com/the-devastation/one-more-time-recreation

Well I tried to recreate One more time to get a feel for sampling an putting the track together
I should have side chained it but it was a quickie and I wasn't thinking.
Thelastdevastator

Postby itroitnyah » 25 Mar 2013 17:56

Alright, sounds good to me. Other than the really poor mixing, of course :lol:
itroitnyah

Postby GumsOfGabby » 25 Mar 2013 18:37

itroitnyah wrote:Alright, sounds good to me. Other than the really poor mixing, of course :lol:

It's not really poor...Sounds okay to me, but can still be improved.
Youtube | Soundcloud

FL/Massive noob

Need a bit of feedback? Don't be shy to send me a PM along with your sample.
GumsOfGabby

Postby Thelastdevastator » 25 Mar 2013 18:45

itroitnyah wrote:Alright, sounds good to me. Other than the really poor mixing, of course :lol:

Thanks I am still learning mixing I'll get better as I go.
Thelastdevastator

Postby the4thImpulse » 25 Mar 2013 20:48

Don't forget the filters!

'High Pass' and 'Low Pass' sweeps on various elements of the song (lead, bass, hit hat rolls, even on the master).
the4thImpulse

Primary: Ableton Live 8

Postby Thelastdevastator » 26 Mar 2013 14:19

the4thImpulse wrote:Don't forget the filters!

'High Pass' and 'Low Pass' sweeps on various elements of the song (lead, bass, hit hat rolls, even on the master).

The4thImpulse just the guy I was waiting for.
I've used a lot of your advice from other threads you've posted on and it's helped me out a lot.
Thelastdevastator

Return to Resources, Software, and Mixing Advice