pitch rising... thing?

Sample Packs? VSTs? DAWs? EQ? What DOES the knee on the Compressor do? All computer-related music making topics belong here!

pitch rising... thing?

Postby soup2504 » 16 Mar 2013 12:59

Excuse the HUH remix (it's the only song I can think of at the moment that has this), but around 1:50 there's a little blip blpilpilip pitch rising thing and I'm wondering how to do it. I hear it in a LOT of Progressive House, and it seems like it would really fit well with what I'm currently working on, so if anyone knows how to get this sound/effect/whatever thing, could you please like, explain it or something? I mean, I know how to use pitch automation, but the sound, like, how what huh (get it? huh, HUH, hahahga haoo ooh man I did not sleep well last night)

Thanks in advance!
soup2504

Re: pitch rising... thing?

Postby Lavender_Harmony » 16 Mar 2013 13:33

Simple. Make any percussive sounding synth (low decay, no sustain, no release), make a little sequence, then do a gradual pitch bend on it :)
Lavender_Harmony

Primary: Not yet specified.
Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Postby soup2504 » 16 Mar 2013 13:41

Lavender_Harmony wrote:Simple. Make any percussive sounding synth (low decay, no sustain, no release), make a little sequence, then do a gradual pitch bend on it :)

Oh god, I feel so stupid for not being able to figure that out!

Thank you so much!
soup2504

Postby Wisp » 25 Mar 2013 13:57

Oh cool! I should use this effect in one of my songs sometime! :D
Wisp

Primary: Ableton Live 9
Cutie Mark: House, chill, dnb

Postby v.lossity » 28 Mar 2013 17:20

yes, and this general kind of thing is called a riser, sos you know
v.lossity

Postby KillerAmp » 28 Mar 2013 17:45

For ableton live, does anyone know if this can be done, without having to go and transpose each indivisual sample?
i haven't looked into it too much, but from what i currently know, i cant pitch bend a group of samples
KillerAmp

Cutie Mark: Feels

Postby KillerAmp » 28 Mar 2013 18:39

eery wrote:
KillerAmp wrote:For ableton live, does anyone know if this can be done, without having to go and transpose each indivisual sample?
i haven't looked into it too much, but from what i currently know, i cant pitch bend a group of samples

Make the sound in whatever vst you use, then use an automation clip on pitch?

Well what i was looking for was more on the lines of raising pitch of a group of samples (namely kick drums) gradually, not a midi track.
idk ill play around with it more and see what works
KillerAmp

Postby the4thImpulse » 28 Mar 2013 19:00

KillerAmp wrote:
eery wrote:
KillerAmp wrote:For ableton live, does anyone know if this can be done, without having to go and transpose each indivisual sample?

Make the sound in whatever vst you use, then use an automation clip on pitch?

Well what i was looking for was more on the lines of raising pitch of a group of samples (namely kick drums) gradually, not a midi track.

I just did this a week ago!

In arrangement view create your track of samples, line them up how you want them to be played and the consolidate them all into one clip. Go into the clip envelopes, select the transpose evelope and create your automation in the clip.
the4thImpulse

Primary: Ableton Live 8
Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Postby BassClef -DatPoni- » 29 Mar 2013 16:10

the4thImpulse wrote:
KillerAmp wrote:

I just did this a week ago!

In arrangement view create your track of samples, line them up how you want them to be played and the consolidate them all into one clip. Go into the clip envelopes, select the transpose evelope and create your automation in the clip.

what i like to do is sample the sound, toss the sample into Impulse (or simpler) and then automate the transpose
DAW: Ableton Suit 8
VST: Massive, Kontakt (symphobia, orchestral brass classsic, cineharp, emotional piano) and absynth (rarely)

Genres: dubstep, DnB.

current projects: none just finished em all
BassClef -DatPoni-

Postby KillerAmp » 30 Mar 2013 20:21

thanks impulse and bassclef! that'll make this rising bassdrum-roll idea thing a lot easier to pull off than transposing each sample 1 semitone ( which got redundant and tedious over time x_x)
KillerAmp

Return to Resources, Software, and Mixing Advice