Thinking of Switching to Cubase

Sample Packs? VSTs? DAWs? EQ? What DOES the knee on the Compressor do? All computer-related music making topics belong here!

Thinking of Switching to Cubase

Postby PonE-Sharp » 23 Dec 2012 01:32

Currently, I use FL Studio 10, but I've noticed that most of the higher end composers are using Cubase, which leads me to believe its just a better DAW, plus I've run into some limitations with FL in the past. Being mainly an orchestral music producer, Cubase seems more fit to that genre. However, on their site, they have 3 current Cubase products available; Cubase 7 ($500, yeah, not even close to my budget) Cubase 6 artist ($250) and Cubase Elements ($100).

Due to my current income, I could only afford up to Cubase 6 artist. However my question is this: does anyone know if there is a significant difference in content between Artist and Elements, or if I should just pay the extra for Artist?
Find me here:

youtube.com/user/coltsuke
League of Legends: Zarfall (Or PrìncessCelestia. Both work apparently.)
Steam ID: Trentul
DeviantArt: Zarfall
PonE-Sharp

Re: Thinking of Switching to Cubase

Postby Dr_Dissonance » 23 Dec 2012 08:22

http://www.steinberg.net/en/products/cu ... ne_up.html

Have a look here, it gives you the features of each one compared to the other!

Oh and as an orchestral composer I can highly recommend Cubase. Easily the best DAW I've used in that regard. Has some really cool effects and abilities too, so you're not limited to orchestral if you wish to venture out.
Tubeyou
You are the hero My Little Remix deserves, not the one it needs.
So we’ll hunt you. Because you can take it. Because you’re not our hero.
You’re a silent guardian of music, a watchful protector of songs.
A doctor of dissonance.
-Phillypu
Dr_Dissonance

Postby XXDarkShadow79XX » 23 Dec 2012 10:45

Never used or looked into Cubase, but I don't think FL is the best for orchestral.
XXDarkShadow79XX

Primary: FL

Postby Lavender_Harmony » 23 Dec 2012 17:15

FL is used by a fair few orchestral composers, of note Blake Robinson, but the workflow of Cubase lends itself better to the genre, but Cubase is also fan-bloody-tastic at EDM.
Lavender_Harmony

Primary: Not yet specified.
Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Postby Sai » 23 Dec 2012 17:40

On the subject of orchestral composition and FL Studio, does anyone have any comments on using NI's Kontakt in FL Studio? I remember hearing vague complaints about using in in FL, but I have no idea what the actual problems with it are.

Can you avoid whatever these problems are by using Kontakt through Cubase?
I'm thinking about trying out Cubase as well as FL for comparison's sake and because some friends really recommend it (and I can't get Logic at home). There's enough good stuff in FL to stop me from dropping it completely for the moment, though.
Sai

Postby Navron » 23 Dec 2012 18:57

I highly recommend Cubase, but I'd wait until you can afford the full version. After looking through the comparison chart all the way, if you're planning on running some extensive library based instruments for orchestral production, you REALLY want to have full automation support and VST expression, which look like 2 things that aren't fully featured in Cubase Artist.

It may take a little longer to save up the extra $250 on top of what you have, but it's definitely worth it.

I formerly ran Cubase LE4 before I bought the full version of Cubase 6. It REALLY sucks when the 1 single feature you end up needing one day, is one that isn't included in your version.

If you decide to wait, try and see if you can find a good demo version to get a feel of the overall structure of the program. My prior experience on LE4 still transferred over well to 6.
DAW: Cubase 6.5, Ableton Live 8
Preferred Genre: Industrial/Trance
Hardware: Schecter Diamond Series Bass, Yamaha Acoustic Guitar, BP355 Effects Pedal, Keystudio 49K Keyboard, Akai APC40, Korg nanoKEY2 25k Keyboard
Navron
Global Moderator

Primary: Cubase 6.5

Postby CaptainFluffatun » 23 Dec 2012 20:43

In my experience, Cubase handles Kontakt a lot better - as in, it's just more stable when running it. I don't know if you're running Kontakt, but I would grab that up, because it's yummy has has pretty sounds.

FL is a good DAW, but Cubase is just so much more error-free --- again, in my experience.
CaptainFluffatun

Primary: Cubase 5
Cutie Mark: Orchestral

Postby PonE-Sharp » 23 Dec 2012 20:52

CaptainFluffatun wrote:In my experience, Cubase handles Kontakt a lot better - as in, it's just more stable when running it. I don't know if you're running Kontakt, but I would grab that up, because it's yummy has has pretty sounds.

FL is a good DAW, but Cubase is just so much more error-free --- again, in my experience.

Yeah I've had quite a few stability issues with FL. And with a plethora of VSTs, not just Kontakt.

On an unrelated note, have I ever mentioned how much I love your signature?
Find me here:

PonE-Sharp

Postby CaptainFluffatun » 23 Dec 2012 21:11

PonE-Sharp wrote:
CaptainFluffatun wrote:In my experience, Cubase handles Kontakt a lot better - as in, it's just more stable when running it. I don't know if you're running Kontakt, but I would grab that up, because it's yummy has has pretty sounds.

Yeah I've had quite a few stability issues with FL. And with a plethora of VSTs, not just Kontakt.

On an unrelated note, have I ever mentioned how much I love your signature?

You have not! But yeah, Cubase has been around for a long time, so it's had more time to be improved upon.
CaptainFluffatun

Postby Navron » 23 Dec 2012 23:07

Steinberg also invented the VST format, so naturally VSTs will likely be the most stable on their own software.
Hardware: Schecter Diamond Series Bass, Yamaha Acoustic Guitar, BP355 Effects Pedal, Keystudio 49K Keyboard, Akai APC40, Korg nanoKEY2 25k Keyboard
Navron
Global Moderator

Postby cloudshovit » 24 Dec 2012 13:58

never had any problems with VSTs on FL. except that there was a known problem with Kontakt on FL. I think it was recently addressed by NI on their recent Kontakt update and is said to be very stable now according to what I have read from another user's post on the IL forum.

The only other DAW I'm lusting for other than Reaper is Studio One. The UI seems to be very conducive to workflow. I'm curious of what limitation with what limitation you have run into with FL tho.
cloudshovit

Postby CaptainFluffatun » 24 Dec 2012 18:37

Kontakt just causes so many underruns in FL
CaptainFluffatun

Postby Sai » 24 Dec 2012 18:54

CaptainFluffatun wrote:Kontakt just causes so many underruns in FL

What does that mean?

And thanks to people for all the other comments.
Sai

Postby Motivfs » 24 Dec 2012 18:55

Sai wrote:

What does that mean?

CPU Overusage in the studio, and yes, I agree, it's not just with Kontakt either, it happens with other Orchestral VSTS.
Motivfs

Postby CaptainFluffatun » 24 Dec 2012 19:15

Sai wrote:

What does that mean?

Underruns are when your DAW freaks the fuck out and starts popping and crackling and cutting out your instruments momentarily. They occur when you're using too much RAM. Cubase sometimes cuts out my instruments if I have, say, Skype and Chrome open, but otherwise, I've never had a problem with sound glitches.
CaptainFluffatun

Postby CaptainFluffatun » 24 Dec 2012 19:16

Or CPU, I guess. Point is it's poopadoodly and not good.
CaptainFluffatun

Postby cloudshovit » 25 Dec 2012 00:09

try updating to Kontakt 5.1 and also try turning multi-threading on and off if which works better,
cloudshovit

Postby AdamTh3Walker » 26 Dec 2012 09:29

Call me crazy, but I'd check eBay or purveyors of older software for a past version. You might get lucky. I wouldn't stack Artist against FL Studio, although it's good. Stick with the full version!

I use Cubase 5.5, still, and it's fantastic. Maybe it's not as pretty as 6 or 7, but it's otherwise solid.

As always, be careful around pre-owned software, but if it's advertised as including all parts (including the iLok or whatever the fab is called that stores the license key) and the seller is well-rated, it might be a good idea.

Just my couple of bits, though. Use your inner wisdom on that one!
AdamTh3Walker

Primary: Cubase 12
Cutie Mark: shut up i bet u don't have one

Postby PonE-Sharp » 28 Dec 2012 22:42

Finally purchased Elements.
Yeah, this thing is a little different from FL to say the least. This may take some time to learn... O_O

Oh quick question: How do I set tempo and timescale?
Find me here:

PonE-Sharp

Postby Navron » 29 Dec 2012 08:49

On the top menu, select Project >>> Tempo Track

You can adjust the tempo and time signature (top of the tempo track) here.

If you simply want a fixed tempo through the entire song, you can also change the tempo type of your transport bar to either:

Track: Tempo and time signature follows whatever is set in the tempo track.
Fixed: Double click the tempo to change it.
Navron
Global Moderator

Postby Sonic Breakbeat » 01 Jan 2013 19:27

As someone who's used Cubase for quite some time now (what a switch from using Mixcraft for nearly a year..), I've gotta say Cubase is my favorite DAW that I've ever used. It's got a similar layout to Mixcraft, so I wasn't completely clueless (like I was with FL and Ableton when I tried them), which is probably why I liked it right away.

The only problem I've had is that I was 14 days late on the Cubase 7 grace period and therefore didn't get the free upgrade (which pisses me off, but it's not really a problem with the software). Yes, I bought it for $500. Come at me bro.

Another problem you'll probably face is that a lot of artists in the fandom use something other than Cubase, so finding someone to collab with might become difficult unless you're okay with transferring .wavs back and forth. Thankfully this won't be a problem as more and more musicians are considering switching over like you are :)
Sonic Breakbeat - Stargazing (Original Mix)
http://soundcloud.com/epicallyawsm/stargazing
DAW: Cubase 6.5
VSTs: Massive, Sylenth1, Battery 3, Ozone 5, Melodyne
Genre: Drum and Bass, Prog. House, EDM
Hardware: M-AUDIO Oxygen49, Numark Mixtrack Pro
Sonic Breakbeat

Postby Navron » 01 Jan 2013 21:00

Sonic Breakbeat wrote:The only problem I've had is that I was 14 days late on the Cubase 7 grace period and therefore didn't get the free upgrade.

I was about 2 months outside the window, but close enough it was still frustrating.

6.5 FTW!
Navron
Global Moderator

Postby Sonic Breakbeat » 01 Jan 2013 21:49

Navron wrote:
Sonic Breakbeat wrote:The only problem I've had is that I was 14 days late on the Cubase 7 grace period and therefore didn't get the free upgrade.

I was about 2 months outside the window, but close enough it was still frustrating.

6.5 FTW!

:(

6.5 is nice, though. At least I'm not missing any HUGE features or anything like that xD
Sonic Breakbeat - Stargazing (Original Mix)
http://soundcloud.com/epicallyawsm/stargazing
DAW: Cubase 6.5
VSTs: Massive, Sylenth1, Battery 3, Ozone 5, Melodyne
Genre: Drum and Bass, Prog. House, EDM
Hardware: M-AUDIO Oxygen49, Numark Mixtrack Pro
Sonic Breakbeat

Return to Resources, Software, and Mixing Advice