What are some of the best piano Vsts ?

Sample Packs? VSTs? DAWs? EQ? What DOES the knee on the Compressor do? All computer-related music making topics belong here!

Re: What are some of the best piano Vsts ?

Postby ChocolateChicken » 24 Dec 2012 20:49

Being a pianist myself, I'm super picky about how pianos sound. I'm looking for very versatile pianos that can be used pretty much in any genre and also that sound very sweet. I also need realistic sounding pianos that have accurately long sustains, instead of most virtual pianos' sustains that last only about 5 seconds, which is just downright disgusting.
Kyoga wrote:I like Berlin concert grand...
i... really do...

Is Berlin Concert Grand what I should be looking at in this case? I did quite like the sound it in the NI demos. There are very nice sounds in that library from what I've heard.

The Alicia's Keys demo songs on NI didn't provide any songs besides silly pop/jazz songs, and maybe one classical piece, so I have no idea how that library would sound otherwise.

For East West Pianos Gold users and Alicia's Keys users out there, how are those pianos in terms of versatility?
Last edited by ChocolateChicken on 24 Dec 2012 23:28, edited 1 time in total.
ChocolateChicken

Primary: Logic Pro
Cutie Mark: Blank Flank

Postby Magnitude Zero » 24 Dec 2012 21:08

K3WRO wrote:
Lavender_Harmony wrote:
SticktheFigure wrote:I personally go with FL Keys. I find that it, with some EQ'ing, gets that job done.

The title of the post is "What are some of the best piano VSTs."

Getting the job done ≠ The best. FL Keys is also rubbish.

You think everything in FL Studio is Rubbish

To be fair, FL Keys is pretty fucking bad.

If you're looking for a nice trancey piano, there's a free one called PianoOne. Not realistic-sounding at all, but I prefer it over a lot of the expensive ones when it comes to simple, laid-back melodies.

If you're looking for a realistic one, pretty much any of the ones that have been suggested (besides FL Keys, lol) will work. I particularly like the sound of the Giant, might have to look into that one. Some swear by Piano in Blue, so that might be worth checking out, but I'm not really a fan.
Formerly known as Blind

DAW: FL Studio 10
Style: Chill/Downtempo

Soundcloud | Youtube | Tumblr
Magnitude Zero

Primary: FL Studio 10
Cutie Mark: Horse butt not large enough

Postby Shouki » 24 Dec 2012 23:16

4front trupianos is really nice as well. i highly recommend
Shouki

Postby Omnomnomnom » 26 Dec 2012 13:53

ChocolateChicken wrote:The Alicia's Keys demo songs on NI didn't provide any songs besides silly pop/jazz songs, and maybe one classical piece, so I have no idea how that library would sound otherwise.

For East West Pianos Gold users and Alicia's Keys users out there, how are those pianos in terms of versatility?

If I may put my 2 cents in:
Well, I'm clueless about EastWest's library, but you probably want to go with NI's Giant instead of Alicia's keys. I believe that they are nearly the same price, if my memory does not fail me.

Anyways, Alicia's keys really isn't all that bad, but it feels restricting, as far as sound goes. You can't really customize the sound in Alicia's keys all that much, but it at least does what it's supposed to well. Just be warned that this library is only suited for a few genre's/feels, ie., you can't make it sound "hard" or "gritty" if you want to put it into a darker song. Overall, the sound and feel of the library is... erm, soft, if that word can be used.

IMHO it's quite usable in some cases, and it works well, but not one of the best. If you've got the cash for Alicia's keys, you'd probably be better off spending it on something more customizable.
I'm always half-asleep, and I hate dubstep.
Also, you know that other, way more awesome Nomnom guy who shows up on EQD sometimes? THAT PERSON IS NOT ME.
We just happen to have similar pseudonyms.
Omnomnomnom

Previous

Return to Resources, Software, and Mixing Advice