Industry standard DAW?

Sample Packs? VSTs? DAWs? EQ? What DOES the knee on the Compressor do? All computer-related music making topics belong here!

Re: Industry standard DAW?

Postby Navron » 06 Dec 2012 11:34

and apparently Cubase comes with a plugin in that is equivalent to Melodyne or Auto Tune

VariAudio is a nice plugin because you interface with the audio directly in Cubase, vs working with audio out of the program like Melodyne.

I run Cubase 6.5, so the main limitation I have with VariAudio is the inability to create chords/harmonies with a single audio event, meaning in order to achieve this, I have to duplicate the tracks and manually adjust each one.

Cubase 7 apparently comes with an updated VariAudio feature that allows for the creation of chords and harmonies.

Judging from your posts, your goals, and what kind of workflow you're after, Cubase or Logic are the 2 I would recommend.

Although Cubase does have 1 other flaw I forgot to mention. With a legitimate copy, you need to have a USB e-licenser dongle plugged into a USB port. Isn't normally a hassle, but if you have a laptop with only a few USB ports, it may necessitate getting a USB hub so you still have enough ports for your other equipment, such as a microphone, keyboard, and external hard drive for sample libraries.
DAW: Cubase 6.5, Ableton Live 8
Preferred Genre: Industrial/Trance
Hardware: Schecter Diamond Series Bass, Yamaha Acoustic Guitar, BP355 Effects Pedal, Keystudio 49K Keyboard, Akai APC40, Korg nanoKEY2 25k Keyboard
Navron
Global Moderator

Primary: Cubase 6.5

Postby Seven » 09 Dec 2012 08:05

I skimmed through this, and saw Sonar maybe...two times. Has it really deteriorated that much? No-one uses it? Really?

I'll read it thoroughly when I feel less sick.
Constructive criticism is more than welcome. I embrace it.

I rarely make any sense when I post from my phone. And I post from my phone.
Seven

Postby Omegastick » 10 Dec 2012 12:50

Seven wrote:I skimmed through this, and saw Sonar maybe...two times. Has it really deteriorated that much? No-one uses it? Really?

I'll read it thoroughly when I feel less sick.

I used Sonar LE for a while, but it really doesn't lend itself to EDM production.
Omegastick

Postby Nine Volt » 10 Dec 2012 16:27

Dr. Drum is best DAW.
Nine Volt

Previous

Return to Resources, Software, and Mixing Advice