Anyone got any tips on an Alex S. style growl?

Sample Packs? VSTs? DAWs? EQ? What DOES the knee on the Compressor do? All computer-related music making topics belong here!

Re: Anyone got any tips on an Alex S. style growl?

Postby SpikeyMikey » 19 Nov 2012 20:07

Thanks for all the info. I've done live EQ automation before but never thought of using it for dubstep production. I guess I was just too centered around using LFO to alter cutoff and pitch, barely ever anything else :)
Soundcloud: http://soundcloud.com/cloud_spires
Nothing pony yet :(
SpikeyMikey

Postby Raddons » 20 Nov 2012 00:35

Raddons

Primary: Not yet specified.
Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Postby itroitnyah » 20 Nov 2012 13:48

Hey Alex, can you post a picture of your current studio in the studio thread? Pwetty pwease? Or did I just somehow miss it when I looked through all of it?
Image Image I am no longer an active member. here
My studio: [List of equipment]
itroitnyah

Primary: FL Studio 11

Postby CaptainFluffatun » 20 Nov 2012 18:45

Only time Alex comes on to MLR, he makes fun of someone

k
CaptainFluffatun

Primary: Cubase 5
Cutie Mark: Orchestral

Postby colortwelve » 20 Nov 2012 18:47

Just gonna throw this out here, the resample setting on Bifilter is pretty nice to get really dry, robotic sounds, especially when combined with a patch like Lavender detailed.
Youtube -- Soundcloud -- Tumblr -- Bandcamp (new album out!)

I can't feel my brain.
colortwelve

Postby Sonarch » 20 Nov 2012 19:27

This is going to be so great to read when I can actually use Massive. I need to sit down and learn it.
My goal is to be capable of making any kind of music that strikes my fancy, and do it well.
Twitter @SonarchMusic
Soundcloud
Tumblr
Sonarch

Primary: FL Studio

Postby Pewter Robot » 22 Nov 2012 14:14

I'm going to just point out that you don't need to be precise with peaks to make it a formant. You just need WOW Filter and it does this easy, so you can focus on the other aspects of the growl and make it sound much better.
I always enjoy doing something until I have to.
Good thing I'm supposed to be doing stuff other than music.

Listen to this:
https://soundcloud.com/pewter-robot/dont-listen-to-this-unless-1

Follow me on Twitter.
Pewter Robot

Postby Lavender_Harmony » 22 Nov 2012 14:26

Pewter Robot wrote:I'm going to just point out that you don't need to be precise with peaks to make it a formant. You just need WOW Filter and it does this easy, so you can focus on the other aspects of the growl and make it sound much better.

The problem with that is that WOW filter is $100.
Lavender_Harmony

Postby Seven » 22 Nov 2012 15:49

Lavender_Harmony wrote:The problem with that is that WOW filter is $100.

We've derailed into sound design, here, so I'm just going to put my own thoughts into this.

Even if Wow-filter was free. (which it's not) I'd rather play around with EQ-peaks instead, just for the diversity it could give. If I've understood Wow-filter (which isn't free) right, it can only morph between two vowels. Wow-filter (which isn't free) also comes with others filters, but the main focus of the plugin are vocal formants. When this can be done with a simple EQ, I see little point in buying it. (because it's not free)

I'm trying to emphasise that the EQ actually would be more useful, at least when dealing with vocal formants. If you've got a good reference for the formants (which we do, thanks Friv), you could shift through and between any vowels you feel like, not only generic standards set by the corporations. Freedom, man!

If laziness is the main argument, spending a hundred bucks (because it's not free) on a plugin for something there probably actually is another free software for...seems counterproductive. (earning money means work. Blam. Logic.)

I have yet to practice and incorporate vocal formants in my sound design, but I have "cheated" my way to it. Both Razor and FM8 (which are not free) have vocal formants filters. Don't think I'm hypocritical. They've both been useful for me to find appropriate uses for vowel effect on sound.
Constructive criticism is more than welcome. I embrace it.

I rarely make any sense when I post from my phone. And I post from my phone.
Seven

Postby SilverLeaf.B » 23 Nov 2012 19:36

Here's something some of you guys might find interesting, if you don't have Massive and you want growls:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HB8vgTlJ ... ture=g-all

I'm using this method, I'm saving up for a new PC parts and don't have the money (or computer) for Massive right now.
"One trick pony only has one song. One trick pony plays it all night long. One trick pony never tries something new. One trick pony could be me or it could be you."-Jackle App, One Trick Pony
SilverLeaf.B

Postby Mondogreen » 24 Nov 2012 17:05

Wow, Alex. Didn't realize you were such a prick. Guys, it's a scream filter and phase modulation. Just because Alex is "well known" doesn't mean his patches are any more complicated. All of his sounds are recycled from Skrillex/Kill The Noise anyway
New track in the works!!

DAW: Sony Acid Pro 6
VSTi: NI Massive 1.3
Plugins: Not many

You don't need a cabinet full of cleaners to make a sick track

https://soundcloud.com/djmon/2-pac-changes-mondogreens-work
Mondogreen

Postby Foxtrot89 » 24 Nov 2012 17:59

Kyoga, you are by far the least helpful person ever. lol. Everything I see you type goes along the lines of "do it/figure it out yourself."

Shit, I guess we shouldn't have gone to school to have people tell us how to do things. Every man for themselves! Nobody gets help from anyone.

I don't come to this site very often, but damn it all if lavender isn't the only consistently helpful person around here. Why even visit the technique section if people sharing their technique bums you out that much?
Foxtrot89

Postby Lavender_Harmony » 24 Nov 2012 18:03

Guys, relax, please. I've spoken briefly with Alex and everything is alright, all of you just chill, kay? Kay.
Lavender_Harmony

Postby itroitnyah » 24 Nov 2012 18:26

Foxtrot89 wrote:Kyoga, you are by far the least helpful person ever. lol. Everything I see you type goes along the lines of "do it/figure it out yourself."

Shit, I guess we shouldn't have gone to school to have people tell us how to do things. Every man for themselves! Nobody gets help from anyone.

I don't come to this site very often, but damn it all if lavender isn't the only consistently helpful person around here. Why even visit the technique section if people sharing their technique bums you out that much?
You seem upset that people aren't just handing out answers. Music production is comparable to math. Your teacher isn't just going to run through the text book and give you all the answers to the homework. The teacher tells you how to do the problem, then you figure it out on your own. If people just handed you the answer to everything, it wouldn't be your work, it'd be the work of the person who gave you the answer. And if all songs used the exact same synths, then music would get dull and boring. However, like math, there are multiple ways to find a solution. You can find X in the equation x(squared)+8x+15=0 by using the quadratic formula or by factoring out. So when he says, "do it/figure it out yourself", he's probably saying it because he's given the person a method of making the [insert thing] and he's telling the person that he should go and mess around with it, as the person may be able to improve and find out how to do what he had asked. Kyoga is just a "do-it-yourself" type of person. Which might be why he got the huge $16000 scholarship for synth programming, lol.
itroitnyah

Postby Mondogreen » 24 Nov 2012 18:53

Lavender_Harmony wrote:Guys, relax, please. I've spoken briefly with Alex and everything is alright, all of you just chill, kay? Kay.

I mean I get it. It's the same with video editing. After putting in years of work developing your own technique, you're probably not willing to share that shit. That being said, there's about a million youtube videos that go over exactly how to make that sound, so it's not like the sound is original or exclusive. Also, if he had anything original to bring to the table, I'd be much more understanding, but it sounds to me like he just uses the same old presets that everybody else does, so what's the harm in breaking it down for the newbies, or has he forgotten that he was new at this once before?
New track in the works!!

Mondogreen

Postby Lavender_Harmony » 24 Nov 2012 19:20

Mondogreen wrote:
Lavender_Harmony wrote:Guys, relax, please. I've spoken briefly with Alex and everything is alright, all of you just chill, kay? Kay.

I mean I get it. It's the same with video editing. After putting in years of work developing your own technique, you're probably not willing to share that shit. That being said, there's about a million youtube videos that go over exactly how to make that sound, so it's not like the sound is original or exclusive. Also, if he had anything original to bring to the table, I'd be much more understanding, but it sounds to me like he just uses the same old presets that everybody else does, so what's the harm in breaking it down for the newbies, or has he forgotten that he was new at this once before?

I'm not going to quote Alex, but you're right in this, he did laugh at me, saying I was crazy that I expected him to share his technique. I honestly don't understand that mentality, this isn't like Magic, knowing how to do something doesn't ruin the experience, it's just like understanding how physics works to create a rainbow, it's no less beautiful when you learn that it's merely light refracting within raindrops at a specific angle.

I don't know if anyone else is like me, but I've said this and I'll say it again. I don't keep production secrets. If I've made something and you want to know how I did it, I'll gladly explain it. I can't give you everything I have, because I've paid for a lot of things I won, I've invested years of my life into music, I've gone through several years of education to acquire a degree.

That doesn't make me better than anyone else, nor worse. We're all musicians, we're all creative, and we all have our methods. If some of us didn't share our processes in production or composing, music might have died a long time ago.
Lavender_Harmony

Postby Foxtrot89 » 24 Nov 2012 19:26

itroitnyah wrote:
Foxtrot89 wrote:Kyoga, you are by far the least helpful person ever. lol. Everything I see you type goes along the lines of "do it/figure it out yourself."

You seem upset that people aren't just handing out answers. Music production is comparable to math. Your teacher isn't just going to run through the text book and give you all the answers to the homework. The teacher tells you how to do the problem, then you figure it out on your own. If people just handed you the answer to everything, it wouldn't be your work, it'd be the work of the person who gave you the answer. And if all songs used the exact same synths, then music would get dull and boring. However, like math, there are multiple ways to find a solution. You can find X in the equation x(squared)+8x+15=0 by using the quadratic formula or by factoring out. So when he says, "do it/figure it out yourself", he's probably saying it because he's given the person a method of making the [insert thing] and he's telling the person that he should go and mess around with it, as the person may be able to improve and find out how to do what he had asked. Kyoga is just a "do-it-yourself" type of person. Which might be why he got the huge $16000 scholarship for synth programming, lol.

I get what you mean, but part of learning is having others showing you how certain things are done. With what lavender posted, you can see how to get the sound that they made. You can use it as a jump off point to create your own sounds, or just see how somebody else uses the same programs you do. There's no real reason to come into a thread in a "technique" forum, find someone asking about technique and then tell them to do it themselves.

I generally like Kyoga and didn't mean any disrespect. Just meant to point out that the "technique" forum is the wrong place to be if people asking questions about technique upsets you. It's kinda like a black guy going into a Ku Klux Klan rally. Chances are, you're probably going to get upset. lol

That said, I haven't heard the original sound in question and want to give Lav's tutorial a try. I'm willing to bet I'll learn quite a bit from it.
Foxtrot89

Postby itroitnyah » 24 Nov 2012 19:34

Foxtrot89 wrote:I get what you mean, but part of learning is having others showing you how certain things are done. With what lavender posted, you can see how to get the sound that they made. You can use it as a jump off point to create your own sounds, or just see how somebody else uses the same programs you do. There's no real reason to come into a thread in a "technique" forum, find someone asking about technique and then tell them to do it themselves.

I generally like Kyoga and didn't mean any disrespect. Just meant to point out that the "technique" forum is the wrong place to be if people asking questions about technique upsets you. It's kinda like a black guy going into a Ku Klux Klan rally. Chances are, you're probably going to get upset. lol

That said, I haven't heard the original sound in question and want to give Lav's tutorial a try. I'm willing to bet I'll learn quite a bit from it.
Well, we all have different learning styles :P
itroitnyah

Postby Lavender_Harmony » 24 Nov 2012 19:36

For the original sound, the bass sound used in the majority of Alex's Sweetie Belle thing is a good representation.
Lavender_Harmony

Postby CaptainFluffatun » 24 Nov 2012 20:01

Calm down k
CaptainFluffatun

Postby Captain Ironhelm » 24 Nov 2012 20:21

I agree with Kyoga, but I can see use in knowing where to start. If you do choose to follow a tutorial, make sure you know or are learning exactly what and why you are clicking and changing a perimeter. I hate touching a control unless I know what exactly it's doing to my sound wave. That way you gain knowledge in how to create sounds that you want, not just copy-paste from some other person. Once you have a basic knowledge of how synths work, it's really then up to putting in the time to teach yourself to get what you want out of it.
Captain Ironhelm

Postby Raddons » 24 Nov 2012 20:44

Music would be boring if we were all 100% original. This quote applies quite nicely here, or course switching composer for producer/sound designer:

"A good composer does not imitate; he steals." - Igor Stravinsky

And besides, just because you have a sound doesn't mean you can do anything with it straight up. I learned to make sounds from songs I like and that doesn't mean I can slap those into a song and call it a day. That's why Lav's post was so helpful. It was foundation. Foundation to build it into something unique and better.
Raddons

Postby Mondogreen » 24 Nov 2012 20:53

I wonder if I can recreate the patch with just Massive. I'll check back in a half hour with the results everypony!
New track in the works!!

Mondogreen

Postby itroitnyah » 24 Nov 2012 21:14

Kyoga wrote:it's actually $68,000.....
Well, I was off by a bit... But regardless, that's pretty damn amazing that you got that much. That's like, all of college paid off. What are you going to do with all the money that you earn from a job, and don't have to spend (unless you're renting instead of staying in a dorm)? Study in Germany. I haven't researched the colleges there, but I'll bet that they have better sound design and audio colleges in germany than in the usa (just guessing because FUCKING EVERYTHING RELATING TO AUDIO AND MUSIC COMES FROM THERE. Sennheiser, FL, Steinberg, some of the best amps, shit, name one incredibly famous and quality audio related product that DOESN'T come from Germany. Besides Polk Audio) By Celestia's mane, Germany is awesome.
itroitnyah

Postby CaptainFluffatun » 24 Nov 2012 21:17

"I feel that ANYONE could do the 1/4 of the work that is simply knowing the basics on how the waves work"

It is unfair to assume that because YOU have the aptitude for something, everyone else should as well. While I agree that they should learn concepts as opposed to knob positions, this is simply an unfair statement. There are varying levels of ability. That's why I like orchestral. You spend less time making the sounds and more time composing.
Last edited by CaptainFluffatun on 25 Nov 2012 16:56, edited 1 time in total.
CaptainFluffatun

PreviousNext

Return to Resources, Software, and Mixing Advice