Must have vst plugins

Sample Packs? VSTs? DAWs? EQ? What DOES the knee on the Compressor do? All computer-related music making topics belong here!

Re: Must have vst plugins

Postby Andy Feelin » 21 Sep 2011 07:07

OFFTOP
Bartek, wszуstcy pоwiadzаja že jеstеsz zgrzеbnу.
/OFFTOP
Favourite pony: Fluttershy
Genre: eurodance, 80's italo-disco, synthpop
Soft: FL studio 5
Hard: CASIO CTK-900, ALISA 1387, Elsita RMIF e-drumset, Epiphone Embassy bass guitar
YouTube
Discography on MLR (latest update: 2004 - Margarita)
Andy Feelin

Postby bartekko » 21 Sep 2011 09:44

Whatcha sayian? i don't understand
[00:27:11] <@z0r8> you are voiced, now shut up
bartekko

Postby NotACleverPony » 21 Sep 2011 11:22

bartekko wrote:Nothing, Just An Englishman trying to be cool
Makkon, Not a clever pony, or PinkiePieSwear: if you are reading this, it would be nice of you to delete all posts that are not plugins and ban I-pie forrrever
I'm just Sayian
Maybe not 4ever, but a month kick would be good to calm that troll down

I clearly must have misread your post.

Ban Interrobang Pie? For what? Being off-topic in this thread? You candidly suggested that we "delete all posts that are not plugins". By that standard, I would love to know why I find myself deleting two of yours by the end of the first page - quite some time before I-Pie begins to say anything at all. Should I adhere to the logic of that criterion, you would be banned first. For how long, again? A month, or forever? I didn't quite catch the timeframe of punishment you were implying.

If you gather the nerve to tell us how to run the website, consider it prudent to lead by example - twice so if you're the very author of the thread. I'd also like to take this opportunity to forewarn you about future references to the MLR staff (as you've previously demonstrated by calling a founder, web designer, primary financial supporter and our most active forum member "lazy") that I am far less lenient and far more temperamental than Makkon.

Over the last few days I've received a fair amount of complaints - all vouching for your permanent expulsion. You're fortunate that Jackle assuaged my ire with the Luna video, because despite my better judgment, I am now willing to offer you a second chance.

Here are my terms, designed for and applicable exclusively to you, Bartekko.

- Remain strictly on topic.
- When it comes to voicing your opinion regarding someone else's track, make sure your criticism is only pragmatic.
- Observe basic netiquette and do not use explicit language or images.
- Should I ever see you "feeding the parasprites" (as they say), ever again - I will gladly indulge the people who want to see you go.
- Lastly, if you have any issues with the aforementioned clauses, PM me.

I expect nothing but exemplary behavior from now on; please don't betray my trust in you.

Attentively,
Princess Celestia Not A Clever Pony
NotACleverPony

Postby PinkiePieSwear » 21 Sep 2011 11:33

bartekko wrote:Makkon, Not a clever pony, or PinkiePieSwear: if you are reading this, it would be nice of you to delete all posts that are not plugins and ban I-pie forrrever

I'm just Sayian

Maybe not 4ever, but a month kick would be good to calm that troll down

PinkiePieSwear

Postby bartekko » 21 Sep 2011 12:00

@ Not A Clever Pony

Well, by all means, this originally was a thread that was meant to give a list of good plugins that are free
Aussie suggested a few that are to pay for, that is the reason I posted the two "off-topic" (they were on topic posts)

Then I-pie came and the topic went a bit off-topic

I didn't call Makkon lazy, I just asked if there was no remix war till spring because he's lazy OR >insert he's not lazy here< but has better things to do than command the whole rmx war

And I suggested banning (now, when I think about it, I didn't exactly mean that) because I-pie has been offending me (or at least I felt like it) for past some time, and where I live (or better words, lurk) This kind of stuff gets more or less permanent bans. I actually came from one of this kind of site, after a few coincidents with teh trolls (half got banned by admins)

The rest of the forum should however message me about how I Hurt their feelings/what I shouldn't do/ what should I do, in simple, easily-understandable words even derpy from "better living through science and ponies" would understand, as I am a total Nerd who doesn't understand irony, and if I don't react, THEN go to admins.

I hereby accept these rules and will to not once again break them.

Your faithful student, Bartekko

Back to plugins
bartekko

Postby Makkon » 21 Sep 2011 21:56

I see everything is in order. Thank you very much, Dan. :]

Back on topic.

This particular site contains 'soundfonts' rather than VSTs. I'm not sure how they work, but back in the old FLstudio days I used them a lot because I hated the default plugins.

http://www.hammersound.com/

They have an extensive library, including some nice drumkits (including industrial).

There's also a VERY nice solo cello in there.
youtube | deviantart | tumblr

I'm Makkon.
Makkon
Site Admin

Postby Aussie » 22 Sep 2011 02:46

IZOTOPE STUTTER EDIT

No, it's not free. Yes, I don't care. We should probably just make this thread about VSTs in general instead of just free ones since I think more than half of us pirate anyway.

BUT YEAH I JUST GOT THIS AND HOLY FUCK. The title is self explanatory, it stutters things. But there's so much flexibility to it, it's awesome.

I'm really bad at explaining things, so:

Also an example I made, using Circuit's Derpy Rap.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/7349448/Stutter%20Edit.mp3
Aussie

Postby bartekko » 22 Sep 2011 08:06

From now:
I will add both free and paid plugins in two categories

and please give me a link to the plugin site so I can add it without looking for it

and aussie: torrentz please?
@two down: Whoops, I trolled you two without even knowing I was trolling, yay
(no, seriously, I didn't notice myself trolling)
Last edited by bartekko on 23 Sep 2011 07:22, edited 1 time in total.
bartekko

Postby Icky » 22 Sep 2011 11:14

bartekko wrote:and aussie: torrentz please?

Icky

Postby Pinkie Cake » 22 Sep 2011 12:22

I just had to do it :lol:

Sorry for the spam and to topic I'd suggest getting Little critters. It's not very good, but maybe you'l find a way to use it. I still havent. It generates all sorts of bugs and birds sounds. Not your everyday vst, but may be usefull on some ocasions. http://rekkerd.org/little-critters-vsti/
Pinkie Cake

Postby UnderpΩny » 16 Nov 2011 19:04

Bookmarked.
UnderpΩny

Postby Versilaryan » 30 Nov 2011 04:09

This list is woefully incomplete. Here, have some freeware!

CamelCrusher Great, easy-to-use distortion. It works really well on drums and a lot of other things, too.

endorphin One of the best free compressors. It's easy to use and pretty transparent. It also happens to be dual-band, so you get another degree of flexibility there.

Ambience Really good reverb plugin. It's known to be a bit on the CPU-intensive side, though.
Versilaryan

Postby Howlgram » 30 Nov 2011 12:30

So many plug-ins and stuff, im afraid i might download em all, and then im afraid i will have a hard time knowing what each one does
❑ Single
❑ Taken
✔ Mentally dating a character that doesn't actually exist
Howlgram

Postby BlackElectric » 30 Nov 2011 14:04

Download ALL the free VSTs!
BlackElectric

Primary: Pro Tools 10
Cutie Mark: Mixing

Postby Navron » 30 Nov 2011 17:32

Regarding free VSTs: http://vstplanet.com/index.htm

Oh course, being free, a lot of them suck, so here's a list of some pretty good ones I've found:

- Crystal (I think it's still regarded as the best free VST out there.)
- Cubix (Pretty awesome drum pattern machine.)
- Safron (Awesome soundfont player. Crystal supports soundfonts, but Safron lets you customize the attacks and releases in addition to adding various effects and filters.)
- Adonis (Very nice VST with a built-in sequencer and arpeggiator.)
- Metatron (Arps, Gates, Leads, and Basses.)
- Umbra (Very nice atmospheric pad machine.)
- TAL-Bassline (Just discovered this one. Can make some pretty nice bass lines, and is well suited for dubstep with a built-in LP LFO.)

There's plenty of great free VSTs out there, but one thing I've noticed between free and paid VSTs, is stability. A lot of free VSTs get glitchy or crash Cubase on me when I use more than 1 or 2 instances. Adonis, Metatron, and Safron are a few that have given me issues, so I usually make an audio sample of a particular part if I need to use the same VST more than once.
DAW: Cubase 6.5, Ableton Live 8
Preferred Genre: Industrial/Trance
Hardware: Schecter Diamond Series Bass, Yamaha Acoustic Guitar, BP355 Effects Pedal, Keystudio 49K Keyboard, Akai APC40, Korg nanoKEY2 25k Keyboard
Navron
Global Moderator

Primary: Cubase 6.5

Postby Howlgram » 06 Dec 2011 23:14

i guess the wise thing to do is search for a specific vst when i need it, not just download em all
❑ Single
❑ Taken
✔ Mentally dating a character that doesn't actually exist
Howlgram

Postby Mundius » 07 Dec 2011 07:38

Gladiator is a must-have. Over 1200 presets to modify and rape at your liking, plus a random button that doesn't suck.
Mundius

Primary: Not yet specified.
Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Postby Navron » 07 Dec 2011 20:32

Howlgram wrote:i guess the wise thing to do is search for a specific vst when i need it, not just download em all

Yup. There are literally hundreds, maybe thousands, of free VSTs and soundfonts. Unfortunately, only about 10% of those are even worth downloading.

I usually hold off until I need something specific. I didn't have a bass FM synth until I wanted to start working towards dubstep, so at that point I've already narrowed my search to a specific type of VST, so I'm maybe downloading a max of 5 and keeping the best one.

Regarding orchestral quality instruments (strings, brass, etc.) you really can't get away with anything other than a quality VST based off real instrument samples, and those cost money.

The best free string VST I've found is called Stringer, but I immediately junked that once I started using HalionOne in Cubase 5, and even HalionOne is nowhere near the quality as something by East West or Native Instruments.
DAW: Cubase 6.5, Ableton Live 8
Preferred Genre: Industrial/Trance
Hardware: Schecter Diamond Series Bass, Yamaha Acoustic Guitar, BP355 Effects Pedal, Keystudio 49K Keyboard, Akai APC40, Korg nanoKEY2 25k Keyboard
Navron
Global Moderator

Primary: Cubase 6.5

Postby Lethaargic » 12 Dec 2011 21:28

if you like intense distortion, I almost always use Bertill http://www.shuriken.se/?page_id=85

Trying to utterly destroy your sound? DFX Scrubby http://destroyfx.smartelectronix.com/
art is the quintessential embodiment of telepathy, it is how we show each other the inside of our minds

Previously Spacepsy

SoundCloud
Lethaargic

Postby Rumpy » 13 Dec 2011 03:41

StringSynth has a bunch of nice tones. http://www.algomusic.net/freeware.html

They've also got a bunch of other VSTi's, both paid and not.
Rumpy

Postby CGEyeGuy » 13 Dec 2011 04:22

Instruments
-------------------------------
http://www.dskmusic.com/ <--some awesome vsts
I like to use:
DSK Overture
DSK TechSynth PRO
DSK Darkness Theory 3
DSK Synthopia 2
DSK ChoirZ

http://www.vstplanet.com/Instruments/VS ... izers4.htm
TAL NoiseMaker is another good one

Effects
-------------------------------
GSnap is a useful tool to have
http://www.gvst.co.uk/gsnap.htm
It is a free autotuner.

Those are some of my favorite free vsts, I will look for more.
CGEyeGuy

Postby ArtAttack » 07 Jan 2012 21:47

Um, why is massive not in here.
Massive is the best thing.
If massive was a woman, I would make love to her.
Seriously.
Massive.
Name: Sam
DAW: FL Studio 10
Genre: French Electro, Electro House, Complextro, Dubstep
Current Projects:
SECOND ALBUM
BALLOON PARTY: Tourniqakes
Lots of remixes omg
ArtAttack

Primary: Not yet specified.
Cutie Mark: idiot mark

Postby Whitetail » 07 Jan 2012 22:43

NavyBrony wrote:
Howlgram wrote:i guess the wise thing to do is search for a specific vst when i need it, not just download em all

Yup. There are literally hundreds, maybe thousands, of free VSTs and soundfonts. Unfortunately, only about 10% of those are even worth downloading.

I usually hold off until I need something specific. I didn't have a bass FM synth until I wanted to start working towards dubstep, so at that point I've already narrowed my search to a specific type of VST, so I'm maybe downloading a max of 5 and keeping the best one.

Regarding orchestral quality instruments (strings, brass, etc.) you really can't get away with anything other than a quality VST based off real instrument samples, and those cost money.

The best free string VST I've found is called Stringer, but I immediately junked that once I started using HalionOne in Cubase 5, and even HalionOne is nowhere near the quality as something by East West or Native Instruments.

Haven't used them myself but I hear these are pretty good for free strings
http://the-filmmusic-group.deviantart.c ... -224143947
Whitetail

Postby Senator Myth » 08 Jan 2012 14:18

Derpy Hooves wrote:Haven't used them myself but I hear these are pretty good for free strings
http://the-filmmusic-group.deviantart.c ... -224143947

Yes. This is something you should get even if you DO have big fancy expensive libraries. The stuff in here is AWESOME. Beyond just the great sounding orchestral things, there are a few hidden gems that I looked for in vain in the past (like pitched wind! you can make music with howling wind, and it sounds pretty good!) So you should definitely check it out!
"Without music, life would be a mistake."
-Nietzsche
My music can be found here. Please check it out!
http://www.youtube.com/user/SenatorMyth
Senator Myth

Postby Senator Myth » 08 Jan 2012 14:22

Making another post to discuss a completely different topic: rotary speakers, also known as "Leslie" amps. I know a lot of artists who have gotten some really cool sounds using the real-life versions of these, including Elton John and Yes, so I decided to check out and see if there were any VSTs for it... and there are! Unfortunately, I don't have access to my DAW right now and won't for well over a week... But I'm going to post them here in case anyone else would courteously check them out FOR me! :3

(Or just so I can find them easier when I do get my computer back)

http://mda.smartelectronix.com/

http://freemusicsoftware.org/category/free-vst-effects-2/rotary-speakers
"Without music, life would be a mistake."
-Nietzsche
My music can be found here. Please check it out!
http://www.youtube.com/user/SenatorMyth
Senator Myth

PreviousNext

Return to Resources, Software, and Mixing Advice