What do most people use for percussion?

Sample Packs? VSTs? DAWs? EQ? What DOES the knee on the Compressor do? All computer-related music making topics belong here!

What do most people use for percussion?

Postby marepair » 16 Jun 2017 14:49

Hoping this forum still gets enough visitors to get an answer.

I'm getting into producing music and want to know what all you guys have been using for drums. So many people such as Sim Gretina, I hear their drums and it all sounds so rich and vibrant, this is commercial level production! What would you guys say are primarily used by most artists in this community for drums? I got ErsDrums since I heard WoodenToaster used that. I'm assuming there's others.

Any help appreciated!
marepair

Primary: Not yet specified.
Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Re: What do most people use for percussion?

Postby ExoBassTix » 19 Jun 2017 09:26

Never heard of ErsDrums before; looks like a plugin I'll be having a lot of fun with!

Personally, there's no fixed way of drum usage. Most of the time I'll take samples and use them as is or manipulate them in a sampler (allowing enough control most of the time), other times I'll simply take whatever synth I feel like and see if I can synthesize the drum/percussion sound I'm looking for. I've used Sytrus, Absynth, Omnisphere, Harmor and probably more that I can't think of right now for various drum sounds.

Perhaps noteworthy is dmi's Hammer plugin, good if you want simple tonal percussion with a focus on harmonics (timbre).
Collecting dust...

Dieselminded drifter dodging delirium in daunting dreamscapes.
ExoBassTix

Primary: FL Studio 20
Cutie Mark: a crystal waterphone

Return to Resources, Software, and Mixing Advice