Changeing Timesigs in FL

Sample Packs? VSTs? DAWs? EQ? What DOES the knee on the Compressor do? All computer-related music making topics belong here!

Changeing Timesigs in FL

Postby FLAOFEI » 10 Nov 2014 18:09

As I'm sure you know you can change the time signature in FL in the Project Genneral settings, under the settings menue. (If you didn't know that, your welcome)

What I don't know is if you can change it for only specific parts of the track.

I wanna throw in one or two beats extra to some bars, but doing so offsets the entire project, and I can't use the snap function. This isn't a huge problem, but it adds effort, and it's annoying :I I wanna be lazy, and have slightly neater looking projects.

Anyone know anything helpfull?
)>-<)))^*> Sharkpon4srs
https://soundcloud.com/flaofei/brothel-king
Rainbow Dash lives on SOUNDCLOUD; Big Mac posts on Eeyyuptube; Twilight is a BOOKfACE; Octavia went to BandCamp! And Derpy has bad balance, you could say she TUMBLrING
ImageOMG POLKA PLOT!!! BEST ALBUM IN THE HISTORY OF POLKACORE!!!
FLAOFEI

Primary: Fruit Loops 10
Cutie Mark: POLKA PLOT

Re: Changeing Timesigs in FL

Postby eery » 11 Nov 2014 07:24

Im not entirely sure if this is what you want, but when I was making a song with different timesigs, I just put an empty pattern with the name of the time sig I was in, to keep track of where the changes were. Maybe you could do something similar?
eery
Global Moderator

Primary: Fruity tools 11
Cutie Mark: dank

Postby CitricAcid » 11 Nov 2014 07:58

This piqued my interest, so I did some googling. Apparently FL doesn't have built-in support for changing time signatures in a single project? :shock: That's crazy. It looks like I have at least one reason to not be totally frustrated with Cubase.
Image Image Image
CitricAcid

Primary: Cubase
Cutie Mark: Music scroll

Postby FLAOFEI » 11 Nov 2014 09:15

eery, I could do that, but it wouldn't solve my problem. There's nothing actually stoping me from adding an extra bar, but that means shifting everything, so it no longer aligns with the grid. I wanna be able so shift the grid so I can have patterns and clips snap into it when I have the playlist zoomed out.

Citric, if wat u say is tru, i will cry evertim. Gonna google and check if that's true for newer versions.
)>-<)))^*> Sharkpon4srs
Rainbow Dash lives on SOUNDCLOUD; Big Mac posts on Eeyyuptube; Twilight is a BOOKfACE; Octavia went to BandCamp! And Derpy has bad balance, you could say she TUMBLrING
FLAOFEI

Postby Stuntddude » 11 Nov 2014 15:18

Image-Line probably has a way to officially submit a feature request, at the least. They're usually fairly good about those sorts of things. No guarantee it gets added, obviously, but it would sure increase the probability.

On the other hand, for your particular use case (where you're not using a second time signature for any particularly long amount of time, but are instead typically only changing momentarily for transitions), I'm not sure that changing time signatures is even the problem. In my experience, most songs don't adhere strictly to a grid anyways (and it's limiting to try and make them do so). But if working off the grid really gets in the way of your workflow, you might be better off finding a solution using time markers to skip part of a bar and get yourself back on the grid after a transition.
Notebook Memories, the debut album from yours truly, is currently up on my bandcamp for free. Any feedback, encouragement, hate mail, etc. is highly appreciated! Even just listening is pretty cool of you tbh.
eery wrote:Next gen gaming: Just fucking get a dog.
Stuntddude

Primary: FL Studio
Cutie Mark: { }

Postby FLAOFEI » 12 Nov 2014 11:12

Thanx Dude. Checked the manual for time markers, and the skip function should probably work for my problem. Gonna write Image-line about changing timesigs though. It would be usefull to have an action in a time marker changeing the timesig.
)>-<)))^*> Sharkpon4srs
FLAOFEI

Return to Resources, Software, and Mixing Advice