How I master...

Sample Packs? VSTs? DAWs? EQ? What DOES the knee on the Compressor do? All computer-related music making topics belong here!

How I master...

Postby rebel2122 » 14 Sep 2014 23:33

Drums: copy paste into three separate tracks. Line them upp one track has a high pass of 1000, a very heavy leveler, and some wet reverb.next has a low pass of 2100, a bass boost of 7-9db, and an eq emphasizing bass and lowering high frequency.
last one is just a major compression with a quick attack and a slow decay. adjust volumes of each/mix and render.

Bass: (For a wub) well you can put a harmonic generator on the track, and line up the cutoff effect to match to the beat. Or you can use a synth with a low -pass setting and adjust the attack on it, or you could use a manual effect combo with a fast 20hz wah, a vocoder, and a distortion. for a regular bass track to make it stand out from the drums a tiny fuzz filter or a tiny distortion usually works. You do not always need to low pass the bass...

Live: that same compressor from the drums...and live has lag so cut a half a millisecond after recorded.

Melody: for vocals two seperate tracks sometimes works. one with the all out autotune, and one with dry reverb...and lighter autotune...for an instrument as long as it's what sound you want. to have it sound out from the bass it's best to have it either higher, or with a separate track that has a harmonic generator and light comb filter.

Entire track: Re sample to highest rate possible, the compress: Rms 7.5 attack 5ms, decay 750 ms threshold negative 20, ratio 15n, knee 7.5., makeup gain 23 db, then lower volume to just where there's no clipping, and hard limiter of 1.0 with full wet level. save as wav preferably.
rebel2122

Primary: Not yet specified.
Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Re: How I master...

Postby itroitnyah » 15 Sep 2014 05:56

I believe you mean mix. Mastering doesn't really involve adding in instruments and distortion and such. It's mostly light compression and subtle EQ to even out the frequency spectrum.

hard limiter of 1.0 with full wet level

Well now you're running into problems with clipping and brickwalling, if I'm understanding you correctly. Above 0.0dB in the daw is considered clipping, and can damage your, or anybody elses, speakers. And then brickwalling just sounds unpleasant. You only need to set the limiter to -0.3dB ceiling and increase the volume to the point where there's minimal ducking from the limiter.
Image Image I am no longer an active member. here
My studio: [List of equipment]
itroitnyah

Primary: FL Studio 11
Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Postby Mr. Bigglesworth » 15 Sep 2014 07:54

some feedback

rebel2122 wrote:Drums: copy paste into three separate tracks. Line them upp one track has a high pass of 1000, a very heavy leveler, and some wet reverb.next has a low pass of 2100, a bass boost of 7-9db, and an eq emphasizing bass and lowering high frequency.
last one is just a major compression with a quick attack and a slow decay. adjust volumes of each/mix and render.

that 7-9 dB bass boost is bad practice, your drums are gonna be pushing the wall pretty hard on one particular frequency and it's difficult to listen to and harder to mix in my experience. Also that compression will probably wreck transients

rebel2122 wrote:Bass: (For a wub) well you can put a harmonic generator on the track, and line up the cutoff effect to match to the beat. Or you can use a synth with a low -pass setting and adjust the attack on it, or you could use a manual effect combo with a fast 20hz wah, a vocoder, and a distortion. for a regular bass track to make it stand out from the drums a tiny fuzz filter or a tiny distortion usually works. You do not always need to low pass the bass...

This has very little to do with mastering.

rebel2122 wrote:Live: that same compressor from the drums...and live has lag so cut a half a millisecond after recorded.

I'm not even sure what you mean by this..using a compressor to compensate for lag or something?

rebel2122 wrote:Entire track: Re sample to highest rate possible, the compress: Rms 7.5 attack 5ms, decay 750 ms threshold negative 20, ratio 15n, knee 7.5., makeup gain 23 db, then lower volume to just where there's no clipping, and hard limiter of 1.0 with full wet level. save as wav preferably.

That's gonna grate on the ears like nothing else.
I'm not here anymore, but if you want you can still just call me Mr. BigBagelBoggle!

Sound
Face
You
Mr. Bigglesworth

Primary: FL Studio
Cutie Mark: My own ass

Postby Stuntddude » 15 Sep 2014 19:09

itroitnyah wrote:Above 0.0dB in the daw is considered clipping, and can damage your, or anybody elses, speakers.

Clipping doesn't damage speakers. At least, not that I'm aware.
Notebook Memories, the debut album from yours truly, is currently up on my bandcamp for free. Any feedback, encouragement, hate mail, etc. is highly appreciated! Even just listening is pretty cool of you tbh.
eery wrote:Next gen gaming: Just fucking get a dog.
Stuntddude

Cutie Mark: { }

Postby Mr. Bigglesworth » 15 Sep 2014 22:17

Stuntddude wrote:
itroitnyah wrote:Above 0.0dB in the daw is considered clipping, and can damage your, or anybody elses, speakers.

Clipping doesn't damage speakers. At least, not that I'm aware.

It can, it's caused by the speaker needing to keep the voice coil and diaphragm at peak extension for longer, which can cause speakers to overheat or cause the spider (part that holds things together) to deteriorate. It can take a while to happen though, just be mindful of the volume and your speakers/headphones will last longer overall before they break
I'm not here anymore, but if you want you can still just call me Mr. BigBagelBoggle!

Sound
Face
You
Mr. Bigglesworth

Postby Stuntddude » 16 Sep 2014 05:44

That shouldn't be an issue unless the speaker is playing at or near its maximum volume.
Notebook Memories, the debut album from yours truly, is currently up on my bandcamp for free. Any feedback, encouragement, hate mail, etc. is highly appreciated! Even just listening is pretty cool of you tbh.
eery wrote:Next gen gaming: Just fucking get a dog.
Stuntddude

Cutie Mark: { }

Postby Mr. Bigglesworth » 16 Sep 2014 06:32

It usually isn't, most of the time clipping is an accident. But still it's generally just good practice to avoid exposing speakers to clipping as much as possible.

Sound
Face
You
Mr. Bigglesworth

Return to Resources, Software, and Mixing Advice